ADVERTISEMENT

The Steelers just traded Pickett to the Eagles.

Having not watched a lot of Pitt games to assess Pickett, is it possible he was overrated in college? Having watched the Steelers, he looked overmatched talent-wise.
Here’s the way I see it: I don’t think he was overrated in college because most people accepted him for what he was. He was an above-average QB from 2018-20 and took a huge leap in his RS SR season. I think he was accurately assessed as the third best QB in CFB in 2021 behind Stroud and Young.

With that being said, his draft class was extremely weak which was why he was a first round pick. I still think most people knew his limitations as a QB (was likely going to be a game manager, i.e. Alex Smith), but you had a Day 2 Draft talent being asked to replicate the success a first ballot HOFer had. In hindsight, it was asking for too much.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up having a similar trajectory as his college career and gets another opportunity to start in the NFL. However, that long of a development just didn’t align with what we (Steelers) needed as a win-now team. I agree that it definitely felt like he was overmatched at times, particularly in his second season.

All teams miss. Steelers haven't been great with first round picks generally speaking recently. They reached for a QB because they were desperate. The key is cutting them loose instead of making it worse.

Whaa??? They've been terrible recently under Colbert!!! Watt of course was a great pick, but other than him you have a bunch of stiffs.

2022 - Pickett
2021 - Harris
2019 - Bush
2018 - Edmunds
2017 - Watt
2016 - Burns
2015 - Dupree

Reactions: joeaubie21
Here’s the way I see it: I don’t think he was overrated in college because most people accepted him for what he was. He was an above-average QB from 2018-20 and took a huge leap in his RS SR season. I think he was accurately assessed as the third best QB in CFB in 2021 behind Stroud and Young.

With that being said, his draft class was extremely weak which was why he was a first round pick. I still think most people knew his limitations as a QB (was likely going to be a game manager, i.e. Alex Smith), but you had a Day 2 Draft talent being asked to replicate the success a first ballot HOFer had. In hindsight, it was asking for too much.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up having a similar trajectory as his college career and gets another opportunity to start in the NFL. However, that long of a development just didn’t align with what we (Steelers) needed as a win-now team. I agree that it definitely felt like he was overmatched at times, particularly in his second season.
No longer a PA guy but will be a lifelong Philly sports fan. I don’t see the value in this trade. What I saw when I watched him with the Steelers was a QB that either did not trust what he was seeing or did not trust his arm. He seemed to lack pocket awareness, and threw a lot of check down passes. Just don’t see how he repairs this. Now that he is an Eagle and one play away from playing QB, I hope you are right. I just don’t see it.

Pure BS.

No longer a PA guy but will be a lifelong Philly sports fan. I don’t see the value in this trade. What I saw when I watched him with the Steelers was a QB that either did not trust what he was seeing or did not trust his arm. He seemed to lack pocket awareness, and threw a lot of check down passes. Just don’t see how he repairs this. Now that he is an Eagle and one play away from playing QB, I hope you are right. I just don’t see it.
Perhaps the best thing for him is not having to start so he can focus his time on correcting some of those issues? He definitely regressed last season and it showed.

I will say that the Eagles are pretty good at rehabbing ex-starters… not the worst landing spot for him.

Perhaps the best thing for him is not having to start so he can focus his time on correcting some of those issues? He definitely regressed last second and it showed.

I will say that the Eagles are pretty good at rehabbing ex-starters… not the worst landing spot for him.
BS

Whaa??? They've been terrible recently under Colbert!!! Watt of course was a great pick, but other than him you have a bunch of stiffs.

2022 - Pickett
2021 - Harris
2019 - Bush
2018 - Edmunds
2017 - Watt
2016 - Burns
2015 - Dupree
Again...haven't been great is accurate. All of them even Burns are still in the league or were last year. Burns and Bush were the only two that were horrible before Pickett and you have to wonder how much the injury impacted Bush's career.

Good move for both sides. Steelers prevent any distractions in the locker room while Pickett gets a fresh start in Philly. He’ll backup Hurts for a years or two and then hopefully he gets a chance to start again elsewhere.

I think both of these are mutually exclusive and can be true:

- Russell Wilson is a clear upgrade over Pickett
- Although Pickett might’ve never become an MVP, the Steelers absolutely did not put him in a position to succeed
Or he just is not a good QB and Pitt fans try to continually convince themselves that he is. IMO, the Steelers gave him preferential treatment solely due to the fact that he went to Pitt, and they suffered the past two seasons because of it.
McSorley>Pickett, and you won’t convince me otherwise!!!

That would be the best QB room the Steelers have had in decades. Maybe the best QB room in Steelers history.
Yeah right. Two castoff starters. Surely you're old enough to remember #7. I'd take Ben and Duck Hodges. Ridiculous statement. Bradshaw, Gilliam, Hanratty?

Or he just is not a good QB and Pitt fans try to continually convince themselves that he is. IMO, the Steelers gave him preferential treatment solely due to the fact that he went to Pitt, and they suffered the past two seasons because of it.
Lol saying Trace was better costs you any credibility

• Haha
Reactions: cyrizzle
It had less to do with him being from Pitt and more to do that he was the best QB in an extremely weak QB class. In hindsight, we (the Steelers) shouldn’t have drafted position of need and instead should’ve gone BPA at #20.

It had less to do with him being from Pitt and more to do that he was the best QB in an extremely weak QB class. In hindsight, we (the Steelers) shouldn’t have drafted position of need and instead should’ve gone BPA at #20.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.
broken-records-1.gif

As a 25yo senior, it's likely he (nearly) hit his ceiling, which was pretty good for the ACC but not the NFL.
Or Kenny's a slow starter and improves with time. I figure by the time he's 30 he'll be a decent NFL QB.

I think this board had a pretty good handle on who he was. I remember him being mocked a lot here before his breakout year. The Steelers, unfortunately, were fooled by his one good year into thinking he was another Dan Marino and let a mistake from almost 40 years ago cause another one. Maybe if Gabe Rivera had been a better driver this would not have happened.

Or Kenny's a slow starter and improves with time. I figure by the time he's 30 he'll be a decent NFL QB.

I think this board had a pretty good handle on who he was. I remember him being mocked a lot here before his breakout year. The Steelers, unfortunately, were fooled by his one good year into thinking he was another Dan Marino and let a mistake from almost 40 years ago cause another one. Maybe if Gabe Rivera had been a better driver this would not have happened.
Holy f'ing schit balls! More truth bombs dropped in this reply than I've seen in the entire thread.

Jettison Pickett for essentially nothing. Run off all other QBs except a Russell Wilson who appears to be a locker room risk after taking shots at everyone as he left Denver. The Steelers locker room is already a mess because they have a players' coach that wants to be their friend instead of instilling any sense of discipline.

Just start over. Ditch Tomlin. He's lead a slow decline after unfortunately winning 1 with Cowher's team. That bought him the longest leash in the history of the franchise. He's a lead weight. Time to move on. Most other NFL caliber coaches would have had another ring or two for the Steelers over Tomlin's reign of average.
Giants fan here - in fantasy land I would trade you Daboll for Tomlin.

I don't understand this move for the eagles. Pickett is a different style QB than hurts and would be unlikely to be able to execute the same offense. Unless Howie thinks he can use KP as trade fodder in the draft, or when an Aaron Rodgers gets hurt early, it's a head scratcher for me.

The Eagles don't need another mobile style QB behind Hurts. The weapons they have, the OLine, if Hurts gets injured and misses time you just need a game manager to come hand the ball off and make 3rd and long passes.

You could be correct about draft fodder idea. If they draft a rookie QB, it becomes even more likely. And at the end of it all, Howie picked up draft picks.

The Eagles don't need another mobile style QB behind Hurts. The weapons they have, the OLine, if Hurts gets injured and misses time you just need a game manager to come hand the ball off and make 3rd and long passes.

You could be correct about draft fodder idea. If they draft a rookie QB, it becomes even more likely. And at the end of it all, Howie picked up draft picks.
A QB who can complete 3rd and long passes? And you think that's KP?

Giants fan here - in fantasy land I would trade you Daboll for Tomlin.
I think that would be great for both teams. Tomlin needs a fresh start like Reid got in KC. Daboll could likely draft a QB this year or next to build around with Russ still allowing them not to be 3-14 bad.

Lamar's accomplishments don't stack up to what Mahomes has done in the post-season:

15-3 record
4 Conference Titles
3 Super Bowl wins

It's not a close call
No one is comparing Jackson to Mahomes. Repeat: No one. It only came up because the King of Fallacy Lando Poser uses his usual standby straw man argument to try to denigrate Lamar Jackson who was unquestionably the best player in the NFL THIS SEASON! That is all.

FYI. The champions don’t put “banners” for teams they steamrolled on their way to Super Bowl Championships, only the Super Bowl championship banners.

We can understand why you don’t have a clue on the subject……
Now you’re starting to sound as stupid as Lando Poser.

A QB who can complete 3rd and long passes? And you think that's KP?

If he can't be a game manager in that offense, then he will probably be out of the league by the seasons end.

He's got AJ Brown, Devonte Smith, Goddert, Saquon and what should be a very good OL (best one either KP and Saquon have ever played behind). Sounds like a backup QBs dream landing spot because you can come in and make yourself a lot of money next year if your # is called this year if you play good.

Again, I'm not endorsing KP. I'm merely stating, this was a good landing spot.

No one is comparing Jackson to Mahomes. Repeat: No one. It only came up because the King of Fallacy Lando Poser uses his usual standby straw man argument to try to denigrate Lamar Jackson who was unquestionably the best player in the NFL THIS SEASON! That is all.
He wasn't close to the best player. The MVP isn't given to the best player

He wasn't close to the best player. The MVP isn't given to the best player
Suck it, Poser.

Posers can be found in various settings, whether they’re pretending to like a certain thing or faking a whole suite of skills. In every case, a poser pretends to be something or someone that he isn’t, usually to get attention. You can often identify posers from the way they act, dress or talk. Some posers will put their efforts towards developing a fake social media personality, and seeing through this can be a bit trickier. Posers will try hard to show they're part of a community. Posers love to talk about these things more than do them. In contrast, someone who’s truly passionate about a hobby, a skill or a specific community usually lets their passion do the talking. Someone who’s thoroughly passionate about something will talk about it at length if asked, whereas a poser will shove it in just about anyone’s face.

Now you’re starting to sound as stupid as Lando Poser.
As biased as you are you see truth as stupid.

What you said about banners is the stupidest comment in this thread. And a ridiculous segway from the topic of the thread. Like the rest of your posts in the thread.

Perhaps the best thing for him is not having to start so he can focus his time on correcting some of those issues? He definitely regressed last season and it showed.

Isn’t KP already 27 years old? He’s seems past the age where investing time to “correct issues” is normally done for QB’s in the NFL. Especially given his lack of an NFL arm.

Even Madden figured it out….

Isn’t KP already 27 years old? He’s seems past the age where investing time to “correct issues” is normally done for QB’s in the NFL. Especially given his lack of an NFL arm.
Correct, although there’s always a few late bloomers out there (Geno Smith was 25 when was benched). At the same time, there’s no shame in collecting a paycheck and being a backup for the next 10 years.

Correct, although there’s always a few late bloomers out there (Geno Smith was 25 when was benched). At the same time, there’s no shame in collecting a paycheck and being a backup for the next 10 years.
There isn't but 25 isn't 27. Kenny was an old rookie that was supposedly taken early because he'd be ready day 1. He never had the upside Geno did. The hope was basically he could be Purdy and the Steelers missed the evaluation. Nothing wrong with being a career backup.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
As biased as you are you see truth as stupid.

What you said about banners is the stupidest comment in this thread. And a ridiculous segway from the topic of the thread. Like the rest of your posts in the thread.
You’re the one who brought up Baltimore’s winning percentage against the Steelers, Dum Dum. As if that’s some kind of accomplishment. The topic is over. Lamar Jackson was the best quarterback in the league this season and the Steelers are now a slow motion train wreck with no quarterback and no hope except for another .500 season. You guys will probably hang banners for that, too. Enjoy Tomlin’s Reign of Average*

(*Credit: Carrachio)

Last edited:
Next year will be a mess. We'll switch starters multiple times. Same situation as last year only now its an aging star and a bust vs an unknown, a bust and a career backup.
I’ll take the aging star and *probable* bust versus the bust and the career backup… can’t argue the QB room isn’t better than what is was a month ago.

Reactions: royboy
Next year will be a mess. We'll switch starters multiple times. Same situation as last year only now its an aging star and a bust vs an unknown, a bust and a career backup.
Breaking News: Fake Penn State Fan Lando finally said something that was correct. I’m sure it’s because he painted himself into a corner because, as I said, if the Steelers somehow got Lamar their fans would be euphoric so not a good look if you’re celebrating Justa Journeyman Fields.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT