ADVERTISEMENT

RIP, Steelers Legend, Andy Russel age 82

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001

From Wiki...

He was an early member of Pittsburgh's famed Steel Curtain defense, and was named the Steelers' MVP in 1971. He made seven Pro Bowl appearances—in 1969 and from 1971 through 1976—and earned two Super Bowl rings in Super Bowl IX and Super Bowl X. On December 27, 1975, he set the NFL playoff record for a returned touchdown–93 yards in a Three Rivers Stadium victory over the Baltimore Colts. Some have claimed it as the longest football play from scrimmage in time duration.[3] In 2011, the Professional Football Researchers Association named Russell to the PFRA Hall of Very Good Class of 2011.

He and Jack Ham were amazing OLBs. Neither were outstanding athletes, neither had good speed, and both were undersized.

Yet they were never out of position, read plays incredibly well, and were great tacklers. Both made themselves great through hard work. As of great as they were on the field, they were great people off the field, too.

RIP Andy

Last edited:

From Wiki...

He was an early member of Pittsburgh's famed Steel Curtain defense, and was named the Steelers' MVP in 1971. He made seven Pro Bowl appearances—in 1969 and from 1971 through 1976—and earned two Super Bowl rings in Super Bowl IX and Super Bowl X. On December 27, 1975, he set the NFL playoff record for a returned touchdown–93 yards in a Three Rivers Stadium victory over the Baltimore Colts. Some have claimed it as the longest football play from scrimmage in time duration.[3] In 2011, the Professional Football Researchers Association named Russell to the PFRA Hall of Very Good Class of 2011.
Great player(and leader) on the sub par Steeler teams….good player on the championship teams. Should be Hall of Fame material ( NFL), but inexplicably was never really given serious consideration . Hope the veterans committee eventually remedies this.

Great player(and leader) on the sub par Steeler teams….good player on the championship teams. Should be Hall of Fame material ( NFL), but inexplicably was never really given serious consideration . Hope the veterans committee eventually remedies this.
Those Steeler teams were so great, I feel Russell is a victim of the “we can’t put the whole team in the Hall” attitude. Same with LC Greenwood.

He and Jack Ham were amazing OLBs. Neither were outstanding athletes, neither had good speed, and both were undersized.

Yet they were never out of position, read plays incredibly well, and were great tacklers. Both made themselves great through hard work. As of great as they were on the field, they were great people off the field, too.

RIP Andy
Jack Lambert was also undersized

From Wiki...

That ‘longest’ return record was probably broken by the James Harris fumble return. Methinks they used an egg timer for that one.

Andy was also a successful financial investor. In the late '80s, I worked in the same building as Andy Russel and occasionally ran into him around lunch time. He was always very polite and I think part of it was that I would talk about current affairs rather than Steelers history. Here is a clip on Chuck Knoll with Andy describing when Chuck told the team why they had been losing during Chuck's first training camp.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Andy was also a successful financial investor. In the late '80s, I worked in the same building as Andy Russel and occasionally ran into him around lunch time. He was always very polite and I think part of it was that I would talk about current affairs rather than Steelers history. Here is a clip on Chuck Knoll with Andy describing when Chuck told the team why they had been losing during Chuck's first training camp.

Great video. Chuck Knoll was brutally honest with the team. Amazing he never once gave a motivational speech. Those always seem to be the bedrock of coaching.

Great video. Chuck Knoll was brutally honest with the team. Amazing he never once gave a motivational speech. Those always seem to be the bedrock of coaching.
Chuck was a quirky dude. He was highly intellectual and loved the arts, fine wines, etc. On the day he "resigned" from the Steelers, one reporter (Buchette?) mentioned that before he went to the podium, Chuck was discussing a fine wine that he had just purchased.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT