ADVERTISEMENT

Russell Wilson to sign with Steelers for 1 year deal

Sources say it’ll be for the veteran league minimum. Are the Steelers basically admitting that drafting QB KP in the first round was a mistake?

well, it is a one-year deal so they have to have a plan B for later years. I would guess that they'll take a QB in the draft someplace. See if they can do a Purdy. I am not as sour as most on Pickett. The O sucked under the old coordinator and got marginally better under the interim. We'll see what next year holds.

Sources say it’ll be for the veteran league minimum. Are the Steelers basically admitting that drafting QB KP in the first round was a mistake?

Wilson will be the best QB the Steelers have had in at least the past 5 years. Pickett is totally incompetent and unskilled and Big Ben was washed up toward the end of his career. Hopefully, the Steelers dump Pickett and draft a QB to be Wilson's backup. The USFL is up and running so Pickett can get a job as a backup in the USFL.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Wilson will be the best QB the Steelers have had in at least the past 5 years. Pickett is totally incompetent and unskilled and Big Ben was washed up toward the end of his career. Hopefully, the Steelers dump Pickett and draft a QB to be Wilson's backup. The USFL is up and running so Pickett can get a job as a backup in the USFL.
Yeah, Pickett isn’t the man. Weak arm, slow wind up, poor pocket presence.

They sign Wilson then Rudolph is gone. Rudolph was probably leaving anyway after being dissed post season. Hope he gets a shot at starting. Would love to see him excel to show Tomlin and ownership they should have played him more.

And not sure Wilson is the answer. He is long in the tooth and hasn’t played well as of late. Is he done or was Denver a bad fit? We shall see.

For a 1 year deal, taking a chance on Wilson is a no brainer. With Pickett scheduled to make $2mm and Wilson only costing the Steelers the veteran minimum of $1.5mm that's only $3.5mm of next year's salary cap designated for the QB position so far.

And with the salary cap increasing by $30mm dollars for next year, the Steelers have an opportunity to use those additional monies to acquire key players in positions of need.

As far as Kenny goes, hopefully he takes the Najee Harris approach and improves his game the way Najee did when Jaylen emerged as a viable option at RB.

Plus he seemed like he was taking shots at the Broncos on the way out. He's not likely going to be good for a Steelers team that already seems to have locker room issues. This move feels like desperation.
Good point. The Steelers are desperate to replace their major draft screwup -- the stiff Pickett. Mason Rudolph would be a good alternative but he wants due to mistreatment. The Steelers lured Wilson to Pittsburgh to try and make fans forget about their Pickett blunder.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Plus he seemed like he was taking shots at the Broncos on the way out. He's not likely going to be good for a Steelers team that already seems to have locker room issues. This move feels like desperation.
That's what they said about Bill Madlock too, way back in the day. It worked out pretty well for those Bucco's....

I know that it doesn't always work out, but the big 3 on D, Watt, Fitzpatrick and Hayward, have 1 last shot together to succeed in the post season and establish their own legacy beyond the regular season.

And Wilson, with only a 1 year deal, should be highly motivated to earn guaranteed money for next year and beyond.

Reactions: bison13
The Steelers are becoming the Pirates. Broncos are paying Wilson $40 million to not play for them.
Huh? Steelers have had winning seasons for over a decade and finished the year being 26th of the 32 teams in cap space (meaning, they outspent 25 teams).

Russell Wilson is being brought in for next to nothing. ($1.2m). He's 35 and will be a vet to the younger QBs while he rides the pine or he'll be a one-year stop gap until they can figure something else out.

I have a feeling, like the Browns with Flacco, you are going to start to see vet Qbs at the end of their careers be player/coaches who can come in and win some games with their experience and brains. the idea of having a young second-team QB that doesn't have the physical tools to be a starter are over.

That's what they said about Bill Madlock too, way back in the day. It worked out pretty well for those Bucco's....

I know that it doesn't always work out, but the big 3 on D, Watt, Fitzpatrick and Hayward, have 1 last shot together to succeed in the post season and establish their own legacy beyond the regular season.

And Wilson, with only a 1 year deal, should be highly motivated to earn guaranteed money for next year and beyond.
Yeah...well, the Broncos sent his agent a letter stating that if he didn't renegotiate his contract, he was going to be benched. The CBA doesn't allow teams to threaten players to sign a new contract. The contract is a contract. They can ask, but they can't threaten. So there is ample reason for Wilson to be upset at the Broncos.

This was about to be a big deal but the NFL quashed it.

Wilson will come in with a different attitude. He's not coming in as the golden boy, face-of-the-franchise starter. There is almost zero downside for the Steelers.

This is looking like the Pens getting Karlson. Sign Wilson for one year and hope it goes well before the defense collapses. But it might cause lots of problems.

Rudolph is gone 100%. Pickett will be pissed. Another year on the bench might help him but I doubt it. He is already 26 by this fall so he should be peaking now. And sitting behind Wilson won’t help.

So they draft another promise. But half of those fail. And the D Big Three will be gone. Looks like a long rebuild coming….just like the Pens.

• Sad
Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
This is looking like the Pens getting Karlson. Sign Wilson for one year and hope it goes well before the defense collapses. But it might cause lots of problems.

Rudolph is gone 100%. Pickett will be pissed. Another year on the bench might help him but I doubt it. He is already 26 by this fall so he should be peaking now. And sitting behind Wilson won’t help.

So they draft another promise. But half of those fail. And the D Big Three will be gone. Looks like a long rebuild coming….just like the Pens.
I'll be shocked if Pickett isn't the starter. But if he fails, you'll see Wilson quickly. But at his age, Wilson is a one-year guy. If he does great, he'd FA out to the highest bidder and the Steelers are going to break the bank for a 26 year old. He's there to add some senior leadership to the QB room. He may play, to get them through the year, but if Pickett doesn't flourish, they'll be on the market looking for a new QB in 2025.

I am not sure why the love for Rudolph. He played after the new OC fixed the running game. He "managed the game" but wasn't and isn't spectacular. He's not the long-term answer. You no longer win the Super Bowl if you have a game manager at QB. The Steelers only choice is to go with Pickett and if he doesn't flourish with a new OC, look to a long-term solution who is not on the roster now.

That senior leadership was almost a cancer in Denver. I don't see this working out well. Wilson isn't going to be content to sit behind a young kid that just isn't getting it. He's going to speak up and not in a positive way.
There is a big difference. Wilson came into Denver riding a five year $242,000,000 contract. So the expectations were crazy high. He had an awful head coach. Even the new head coach called the former coach out. The new coach is a dictatorial guy who was successful in NO with his hand-picked guys. He, and they, didn't feel Wilson was worth the contract so tried to force him out in a way that lowered their cap hit.

In Pitt, he's coming in on a one year $1.2m contract. See the difference? Wilson knows he has to perform or his career is over. He will be playing for a player friendly coach with zero expectations.

Reactions: OKLionFan
I'll be shocked if Pickett isn't the starter. But if he fails, you'll see Wilson quickly. But at his age, Wilson is a one-year guy. If he does great, he'd FA out to the highest bidder and the Steelers are going to break the bank for a 26 year old. He's there to add some senior leadership to the QB room. He may play, to get them through the year, but if Pickett doesn't flourish, they'll be on the market looking for a new QB in 2025.

I am not sure why the love for Rudolph. He played after the new OC fixed the running game. He "managed the game" but wasn't and isn't spectacular. He's not the long-term answer. You no longer win the Super Bowl if you have a game manager at QB. The Steelers only choice is to go with Pickett and if he doesn't flourish with a new OC, look to a long-term solution who is not on the roster now.
Wilson didn’t come here to be a backup. He needs to start, play well, and get a huge contract next year. At his age he isn’t signing anywhere to sit the bench and be a player coach. He could go other teams and start so why sign with the Steelers if he isn’t going to start?

And Rudolph fixed the running game. First pass was a 75 yd TD. Threw several deep bombs and forced defenses to back up. Pickett never threw deep. Ds stacked the box.

And Rudolph got better every game. He came in with no OC, receivers that were jerks dividing the team, had no practice reps for two years, went 18-20 against Baltimore (who sat several starters) in an absolute downpour, had a great second half against Buffalo when down by three TDs in 20 degree windy weather.

Despite all those obstacles he played well and got better every game. IMO, he earned at least a shot at starter and Tomlin threw him under the bus.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Wilson didn’t come here to be a backup. He needs to start, play well, and get a huge contract next year. At his age he isn’t signing anywhere to sit the bench and be a player coach. He could go other teams and start so why sign with the Steelers if he isn’t going to start?

And Rudolph fixed the running game. First pass was a 75 yd TD. Three several deep bombs and forced defenses to back up. Pickett never threw deep. Ds stacked the box.

And Rudolph got better every game. He came in with no OC, receivers that were jerks dividing the team, had no practice reps for two years, went 18-20 against Baltimore (who sat several starters) in an absolute downpour, had a great second half against Buffalo when down by three TDs in 20 degree windy weather.

Despite all those obstacles he played well and got better every game. IMO, he earned at least a shot at starter and Tomlin threw him under the bus.
If he was going to expect to start, he'd have a bigger contract. Either with the Steelers or some other team. He's been told by the NFL that he is now a journey QB lucky to be in the league. QBs with big ego and high expectations don't sign for $1.2m Hell, Baker Mayfield is signing a $100m contract this week.

If he was going to expect to start, he'd have a bigger contract. Either with the Steelers or some other team. He's been told by the NFL that he is now a journey QB lucky to be in the league. QBs with big ego and high expectations don't sign for $1.2m Hell, Baker Mayfield is signing a $100m contract this week.
He is getting paid $35 million. But he wants to start to get one more big contract. And finish his career on top.

He has a huge ego. Wants to start and wouldn’t have signed with the Steelers without assurances he will have at least a fifty/fifty shot at starting. And he watched film of Pickett and sees the truth.

Reactions: OKLionFan

You’re funny. Bill Madlock was only 1/3 of the way through his career with 2 batting titles already in his pocket. Russell Wilson’s career is effectively over.

Huh? Steelers have had winning seasons for over a decade and finished the year being 26th of the 32 teams in cap space (meaning, they outspent 25 teams).

Russell Wilson is being brought in for next to nothing. ($1.2m). He's 35 and will be a vet to the younger QBs while he rides the pine or he'll be a one-year stop gap until they can figure something else out.

I have a feeling, like the Browns with Flacco, you are going to start to see vet Qbs at the end of their careers be player/coaches who can come in and win some games with their experience and brains. the idea of having a young second-team QB that doesn't have the physical tools to be a starter are over.
Huh? Steelers are a .500 team who blew a first round pick on a backup quarterback. Now they have no quarterbacks and no chance to win much of anything except the Keep Tomlin Employed Award by finishing.500 again.

What happens to Rudolph? Is he going to get a fair shot to compete? Rudolph cannot just go back to 3rd team. Maybe trade him to get some value and try to get a diamond in the rough QB in the 3rd round for example.

Huh? Steelers are a .500 team who blew a first round pick on a backup quarterback. Now they have no quarterbacks and no chance to win much of anything except the Keep Tomlin Employed Award by finishing.500 again.
OK, but they aren't the Pirates. When is the last time the Pirates were over .500? Last time that they are above 2/3rds of the league in player salaries? When is the last time they made the playoffs?

The steelers are, at least, trying. The fans of the Steelers are so spoiled. As a Browns fan, it is kind of fun to see the mania.

You’re funny. Bill Madlock was only 1/3 of the way through his career with 2 batting titles already in his pocket. Russell Wilson’s career is effectively over.
My comparison was in regard to MadDog being considered selfish and a bad teammate which was why he was available to the Bucs.

That they were/are both very talented is the other common denominator.

Having stated the above, I'm not sure I understand the relevance of where they currently reside in their respective 'product life cycles'.

Smart move to get temporary stability at minimal cost while having the ability to find and develop a young qb.

Yeah...not going to get into the deets but my god, they are talking like a woman is a man's possession. Did it ever occur to these idiots that a woman might be on the market because she wanted to be?
If you are married (and I believe you've stated that you are), how did your proposal for that arrangement unfold?

My comparison was in regard to MadDog being considered selfish and a bad teammate which was why he was available to the Bucs.

That they were/are both very talented is the other common denominator.

Having stated the above, I'm not sure I understand the relevance of where they currently reside in their respective 'product life cycles'.
The relevance is a young, accomplished player traded to a winning team with veteran leadership is much more likely to be motivated to contribute to a championship run than a disgruntled veteran who is over the hill and disparaging his team on the way out. The Steelers are going nowhere fast and signing Wilson is just an admission that they made a critical mistake in drafting Pickett in the first place.

Reactions: LemonEars
The relevance is a young, accomplished player traded to a winning team with veteran leadership is much more likely to be motivated to contribute to a championship run than a disgruntled veteran who is over the hill and disparaging his team on the way out. The Steelers are going nowhere fast and signing Wilson is just an admission that they made a critical mistake in drafting Pickett in the first place.
Actually, as the legend goes, Captain Willie sat Madlock down and let him know how things worked with the Pirates and in their clubhouse. I'm sure winning helped, but that is my understanding of how that trade was a success.

The Steelers may be going no where fast, but, as I stated in a previous post, the shelf life for the defensive stars is now. The thought process is the $ saved on thew QB position can be used to acquire some other key parts to make a run.

Wilson has millions of reasons to play well and be a good teammate for this year.

Yes. It was kind of mutual. We met via a blind date and after a few months knew we’d be married. There was no proposal. We just knew it was right and drove to the jeweler
That's a wonderful story. But if Mrs. Obli didn't make Obli Jr. become a Doors fan (Mr. Mojo rising), then it's a moot point.

Perhaps a more initial choice of words on my part but they still are a biological reality.

Getting a bigger contract would only hurt his current team...he's making what he's making next year, and anything that the Steelers pay him is just offsetting/dropping the amount that Denver owes him. The thinking was that whoever was signing him would be doing it for the minimum, regardless of what they expected to be his role.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT