ADVERTISEMENT

The Steelers just traded Pickett to the Eagles.

Breaking News: Fake Penn State Fan Lando finally said something that was correct. I’m sure it’s because he painted himself into a corner because, as I said, if the Steelers somehow got Lamar their fans would be euphoric so not a good look if you’re celebrating Justa Journeyman Fields.
Lamar would be the same situation. Not good enough to win a title. If Lamar went to the NFC maybe he could get to a SB but even then he couldn't win one.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
You’re the one who brought up Baltimore’s winning percentage against the Steelers, Dum Dum. As if that’s some kind of accomplishment. The topic is over. Lamar Jackson was the best quarterback in the league this season and the Steelers are now a slow motion train wreck with no quarterback and no hope except for another .500 season. You guys will probably hang banners for that, too. Enjoy Tomlin’s Reign of Average*

(*Credit: Carrachio)
No, I wasn’t the first one to bring up his poor win percentage against the Steelers. That was someone else. I only used ot to show how ridiculous it was for you to inject other QB’s into a thread about Steeler QB’s.

Your name calling shows your 5th grade mentality so I won’t respond further to the childish defense of your previous posts.

Reactions: AvgUser
Huge upgrade at QB for the Steelers at a very low cost.
How is it a huge upgrade? It's already confirmed he won't even be given an opportunity to compete for the job. I agree about the low cost and upside that exists with trading for him but he's hardly a huge upgrade. He may even be the third QB after the draft.

No, I wasn’t the first one to bring up his poor win percentage against the Steelers. That was someone else. I only used ot to show how ridiculous it was for you to inject other QB’s into a thread about Steeler QB’s.

Your name calling shows your 5th grade mentality so I won’t respond further to the childish defense of your previous posts.
Yes, Miss Landers.

Why in the world would the Eagles want Pickett?
Two things I keep coming back to,

1. He’s a cheap backup with starting experience. They probably also think some of his struggles had to do with his environment
2. Seems like a scheme fit. The more I think about it, Marcus Mariota (the NFL player, not college) is a solid comparison for Pickett and he just spelled Hurts last season

Two things I keep coming back to,

1. He’s a cheap backup with starting experience. They probably also think some of his struggles had to do with his environment
2. Seems like a scheme fit. The more I think about it, Marcus Mariota (the NFL player, not college) is a solid comparison for Pickett and he just spelled Hurts last season
Everyone says he will be Hurtz’s backup but that is assuming a lot. Who else is on the roster? Whomever it is I am sure he is expecting to be the backup and not Kenny.

Everyone says he will be Hurtz’s backup but that is assuming a lot. Who else is on the roster? Whomever it is I am sure he is expecting to be the backup and not Kenny.
Tanner McKee is not expecting to be the backup. They made the move because they didn't have a backup

I knew they had Mariota who just left for Washington, not sure who else is there. Not many options left in free agency as well (I think?).
I looked. The only other QB is Tanner McKee a 6’ 6” 231 second yr man from Stanford. Big strong classic drop back QB that is slow of foot.

They will draft/sign at least two more.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I looked. The only other QB is Tanner McKee a 6’ 6” 231 second yr man from Stanford. Big strong classic drop back QB that is slow of foot.

Yep. Which sorta begs why the Eagles weren't chasing Fields more than Pickett.

Not sure of Justin's contract options- but going to Philly= long term back up, vs Steelers = short term.

I'd rather have Fields than Kenny but hopefully it doesn't matter.

McKee had a good preseason last year which means little. Pickett I believe is only on contract for this year and next year. Vital for Hurts to stay healthy for my Eagles to make a run in the future. From what I’ve seen of Pickett, no trust there. I doubt they use a draft pick this year, but they need one by next year.

Or Kenny's a slow starter and improves with time. I figure by the time he's 30 he'll be a decent NFL QB.

I think this board had a pretty good handle on who he was. I remember him being mocked a lot here before his breakout year. The Steelers, unfortunately, were fooled by his one good year into thinking he was another Dan Marino and let a mistake from almost 40 years ago cause another one. Maybe if Gabe Rivera had been a better driver this would not have happened.
Gabe Rivera would have been a much better driver had he chose not to get behind the wheel when he was intoxicated.

Gabe Rivera would have been a much better driver had he chose not to get behind the wheel when he was intoxicated.
What a downward turn for the Steelers. Chuck Noll wanted Rivera chosen in the 1st round (over Dan Marino for one) because Joe Green had been the initial building block for Noll's era and he wanted a game changing D-lineman for the rebuild.

Rivera's career ended with the car crash. In the meantime, Bradshaw blew out his elbow and the Steelers started a merry-go-round at QB. Bad choices and bad luck.

Next year will be a mess. We'll switch starters multiple times. Same situation as last year only now its an aging star and a bust vs an unknown, a bust and a career backup.
But now your team has two QB’s that are better than the other three, a new OC who should match up well and gobs…..gobs if caps space to get lots of other positions improved. Seems like the GM is a wizard.

But now your team has two QB’s that are better than the other three, a new OC who should match up well and gobs…..gobs if caps space to get lots of other positions improved. Seems like the GM is a wizard.
for all the crap the Steelers brain trust gets, this was a genius move. I've read that the Bears had better offers but Fields wanted to play for the Steelers so that is what they did. I wonder how Wilson feels now.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think you're overselling Wilson at 35 and Fields but no complaints about what we did. It's the 5th year option for Fields that's now tricky.

For sure. But I'd venture that many people as impaired as he was or more drive home almost every day and don't get into accidents. May have been the Pittsburgh roads that got him. I never thought much of them until I was home last year after several years away.

Reactions: joeaubie21
for all the crap the Steelers brain trust gets, this was a genius move. I've read that the Bears had better offers but Fields wanted to play for the Steelers so that is what they did. I wonder how Wilson feels now.
Maybe. But, Teams aren’t flat out gracious when they don’t need to be. And the pick says a lot about what other offers were on the table. They couldn’t even hold him long enough to see a team get an injury and be desperate. I’d say they are spinning to avoid getting the stink eye.

Reactions: Obliviax
Am a Bears fan and this is what I've been reading everywhere too. The front office apparently had a discussion with Fields months ago that they were going to shop him and committed that they'd help put him somewhere that was a good situation for him. I haven't heard specifically that other offers were better, but the rumors are that multiple teams were interested and given that the Bears only got a conditional 6th (with upside for 4th per playing time), the assumption has been that this wasn't the best deal they were offered but they did it because of their commitment to Fields.

Am a Bears fan and this is what I've been reading everywhere too. The front office apparently had a discussion with Fields months ago that they were going to shop him and committed that they'd help put him somewhere that was a good situation for him. I haven't heard specifically that other offers were better, but the rumors are that multiple teams were interested and given that the Bears only got a conditional 6th (with upside for 4th per playing time), the assumption has been that this wasn't the best deal they were offered but they did it because of their commitment to Fields.
If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

Nice post but I don’t believe they had any offers that were significantly better or they would have jumped on it. They would not have turned down a 2d rd pick. Or a 3rd.

These teams are ruthlessly driven to get better, especially teams like the Bears that have been struggling. Would be crazy to turn down a better deal.

Nice post but I don’t believe they had any offers that were significantly better or they would have jumped on it. They would not have turned down a 2d rd pick. Or a 3rd.

These teams are ruthlessly driven to get better, especially teams like the Bears that have been struggling. Would be crazy to turn down a better deal.
This...no team cares about any player enough to take less. Fields didn't have a market.

This...no team cares about any player enough to take less. Fields didn't have a market.

And he certainly didn't pick "offensive wasteland" Pittsburgh if he was given an option. Unless he just really doesn't want to play anymore.

And he certainly didn't pick "offensive wasteland" Pittsburgh if he was given an option. Unless he just really doesn't want to play anymore.
Right...he'd want to go to Denver or Minnesota or countless other places that may have given him a chance to start with better coaching or a supporting cast. Pickens/Austin as the 1/2 isn't decent.

Reactions: lazydave841
Next year will be a mess. We'll switch starters multiple times. Same situation as last year only now its an aging star and a bust vs an unknown, a bust and a career backup.

Pickett is an immature, arrogant, self centered prick who just isn't that good.
True and interesting. Where did Pickett learn to be an immature, arrogant, self centered pri_k? Does his mentor Narduzzi ring a bell?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ESPN the font of all credibility. Yes, of course NFL front offices never feed the Fake News stories to prevent their fans from revolting. That never happens. At least not more than a dozen times a week.

Right. Of course, it was only the General Manager and Fields quoted in the article.

I will believe them over you, every day of the week.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Right. Of course, it was only the General Manager and Fields quoted in the article.

I will believe them over you, every day of the week.
Believe what you want. It’s a free country. At least it was when I was a kid. ESPN, Bears management and even Fields himself have no incentive whatsoever to admit that the Bears blew a high first round draft pick on a quarterback who can’t play the position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT