ADVERTISEMENT

Russell Wilson to sign with Steelers for 1 year deal

If he was going to expect to start, he'd have a bigger contract. Either with the Steelers or some other team. He's been told by the NFL that he is now a journey QB lucky to be in the league. QBs with big ego and high expectations don't sign for $1.2m Hell, Baker Mayfield is signing a $100m contract this week.
So he was told he is now a journeyman Qb and was only offered the minimum. Assuming that he had a couple other teams make offers, which is reasonable, he choose the Steelers. Why…..because it is the best shot at starting. And he only signed a one year so that he can get far more next year if he is successful this year. At salary minimum, the Steelers probably would have given him a two year contract at that very low cost.

That's a wonderful story. But if Mrs. Obli didn't make Obli Jr. become a Doors fan (Mr. Mojo rising), then it's a moot point.

Perhaps a more initial choice of words on my part but they still are a biological reality.
I have no idea what your point is, to be honest. Marriage, like any adult relationship, takes two. I don’t think a guy or gal is owned by the opposite sex or anyone single is because nobody wants them.

Getting a bigger contract would only hurt his current team...he's making what he's making next year, and anything that the Steelers pay him is just offsetting/dropping the amount that Denver owes him. The thinking was that whoever was signing him would be doing it for the minimum, regardless of what they expected to be his role.
That may be true. Do you know that is the way his contract was written? Either way, at 35, not a lot of tread on those tires.

That may be true. Do you know that is the way his contract was written? Either way, at 35, not a lot of tread on those tires.
Yes.

On the cash side, Wilson is owed $39 million in 2024, a true guarantee (not an injury guarantee) with offset language, meaning the Broncos’ financial obligation will be reduced if another team takes on—through trade or signing after release—some of that number. For example, were Wilson to make $14 million next year, the Broncos would be responsible for the other $25 million owed (to a player they no longer want). The Broncos, however, will save at least $100 million in future liability to Wilson by their steadfastness regarding the Deshaun Watson contract. Paying off a year guaranteed is worlds better for them than paying off three-plus years of future guarantees.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
I have no idea what your point is, to be honest. Marriage, like any adult relationship, takes two. I don’t think a guy or gal is owned by the opposite sex or anyone single is because nobody wants them.
Of course it is a partnership.

The point I am trying to make is the male, due to his biological role is the Alpha in these circumstances.

That does not mean that you do not honor, cherish and love your spouse.

Last edited:
Yes.

On the cash side, Wilson is owed $39 million in 2024, a true guarantee (not an injury guarantee) with offset language, meaning the Broncos’ financial obligation will be reduced if another team takes on—through trade or signing after release—some of that number. For example, were Wilson to make $14 million next year, the Broncos would be responsible for the other $25 million owed (to a player they no longer want). The Broncos, however, will save at least $100 million in future liability to Wilson by their steadfastness regarding the Deshaun Watson contract. Paying off a year guaranteed is worlds better for them than paying off three-plus years of future guarantees.

Would be a huge story if both teams make the playoffs and Wilson starts and beats Denver in the playoffs…..while being paid $37.6 million by Denver!

Of course it is a partnership.

The point I am trying to make is the male, due to his biological role is the Alpha in these circumstances.

That does not mean that you do not honor, cherish and love your spouse.
OK, whatever works for you. I would submit that this is no longer the case and most women would feel that the attitude that a single woman is single because no man wants her is pretty outdated. Even in the old days, when women were expected to be subservient, they didn't just marry the first dude that came along. Have you ever seen the movie "Greace?"

He should look to bolt as soon as he can get a better deal.
Oh he is certainly gone now. With thenWilson signing he would be back to third string….if they don’t draft a QB in early rounds. Them he wouldn’t make the team.

He was a free agent last year and did not get any decent offers signed a one year with the Steelers. But after he started five games on a team in total disarray and looked good he should get a couple good offers.

Hope he makes some good money and plays well somewhere. He was a class act and deserved better than how the Steelers treated him.

Reactions: bison13
And a lousy QB.
so far!

eff93bcd-011b-4612-a421-7bc90086b338_text.gif

Cousins will remain a career stat getter with a spectacularly middling record. Be careful what you wish for. :)
Cousins is a better versions of Philip Rivers who for some unknown reason was always praised. He'll have pressure in Atlanta as they're the favorites to win a weak division now. He'll definitely put up numbers but we'll see how it plays out. I think he'd have been in great in Pittsburgh but no AFC team other than KC, Cincinnati or Buffalo (maybe Houston) is going to the SB. It's too top heavy with Burrow, Mahomes and Allen.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
For a 1 year deal, taking a chance on Wilson is a no brainer. With Pickett scheduled to make $2mm and Wilson only costing the Steelers the veteran minimum of $1.5mm that's only $3.5mm of next year's salary cap designated for the QB position so far.

And with the salary cap increasing by $30mm dollars for next year, the Steelers have an opportunity to use those additional monies to acquire key players in positions of need.

As far as Kenny goes, hopefully he takes the Najee Harris approach and improves his game the way Najee did when Jaylen emerged as a viable option at RB.
The other thing I like about this move is that for better or worse, it allows the Steelers to now focus on the draft and free agency. It also puts them in a financial position to make some free agency moves that make sense. There is a ton of talent coming on the free agent market at positions of great need.

Yeah, Pickett isn’t the man. Weak arm, slow wind up, poor pocket presence.

They sign Wilson then Rudolph is gone. Rudolph was probably leaving anyway after being dissed post season. Hope he gets a shot at starting. Would love to see him excel to show Tomlin and ownership they should have played him more.

And not sure Wilson is the answer. He is long in the tooth and hasn’t played well as of late. Is he done or was Denver a bad fit? We shall see.
Actually, Wilson played very well in 2023, one of the 10 best in the NFL. Denver was a very bad team, weak running game and defense. Look at his QB rating. If I remember right, think it was 98.

Reactions: jjw165
There's zero interest in Mason. I don't comprehend what people think they say in him. Was Kenny just so bad that he look okay by comparison? Mitch was awful too but Buffalo was thrilled to get him back.

Actually, Wilson played very well in 2023, one of the 10 best in the NFL. Denver was a very bad team, weak running game and defense. Look at his QB rating. If I remember right, think it was 98.
Just wait, he will be lousy with the Stillers.

If they can sign one of the defensive backs who were cap casualties last week, and then draft a center in round one, this team is a Super Bowl contender. There, I said it!
Well, all the center free agents already signed with other teams so now they have to draft a top center .

Bet they make a trade to move up…. they already cut last year’s starter who wasn’t good . That means the backup wasn’t good either.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Well, all the center free agents already signed with other teams so now they have to draft a top center .

Bet they make a trade to move up…. they already cut last year’s starter who wasn’t good . That means the backup wasn’t good either.
That kid from WVU is supposed to go late in the second round.

That kid from WVU is supposed to go late in the second round.

I think he is good but the Steelers need a sure fire 100% home run and any-other-cliche pick for center. Like a Top Ten kid.

I think he is good but the Steelers need a sure fire 100% home run and any-other-cliche pick for center. Like a Top Ten kid.
the top rated guy is the center from Oregon but he looks to go between 20 and 30. They drafted a center in the first round several years ago, right?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
the top rated guy is the center from Oregon but he looks to go between 20 and 30.

Move up to fifteen to be sure to get him. They are 20 now, shouldn’t take much to move up five spots.

I kind of wished they sign Rudolph before Wilson then use him as trade bait for a draft pick.

I kind of wished they sign Rudolph before Wilson then use him as trade bait for a draft pick.
But no one wants Rudolph--not a single team even gave him a camp invite last year. Why would someone give up a pick for him? Also, no organization is going to sign a free agent then trade them a month later. Why would any player sign with you after that?

Unloading DJ was great. If have been happy with just a 7th in return. He's going to murder Bryce.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT