ADVERTISEMENT

The Steelers just traded Pickett to the Eagles.

Good move for both sides. Steelers prevent any distractions in the locker room while Pickett gets a fresh start in Philly. He’ll backup Hurts for a years or two and then hopefully he gets a chance to start again elsewhere.

I think both of these are mutually exclusive and can be true:

- Russell Wilson is a clear upgrade over Pickett
- Although Pickett might’ve never become an MVP, the Steelers absolutely did not put him in a position to succeed

I would have thought the Eagles would have wanted Justin Fields to back up Hurts rather than Pickett. It is looking like the Bears are going to release Fields outright.

Reactions: bison13 and psu00
Good move for both sides. Steelers prevent any distractions in the locker room while Pickett gets a fresh start in Philly. He’ll backup Hurts for a years or two and then hopefully he gets a chance to start again elsewhere.

- Although Pickett might’ve never become an MVP, the Steelers absolutely did not put him in a position to succeed
I’d like an extra large bucket of popcorn, please.

Pickett combined absolutely poor leadreship qualities with a lack of physical qualities and field awareness. That's a deadly combination. At best, he can aspire to be like a Chad Henne and have a long career as a backup. No team is going to win anything if he's your starter. His legacy as a Steeler will be his patented spin to his left while in the pocket and running into a sack. He was just an absolutely over-drafted player and I believe that we all know why this was.

Pickett combined absolutely poor leadreship qualities with a lack of physical qualities and field awareness. That's a deadly combination. At best, he can aspire to be like a Chad Henne and have a long career as a backup. No team is going to win anything if he's your starter. His legacy as a Steeler will be his patented spin to his left while in the pocket and running into a sack.
As a Pitt fan, I hope he has a similar career trajectory as Geno Smith, who eventually got a starting job in Seattle after getting benched earlier in his career.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Pickett combined absolutely poor leadreship qualities with a lack of physical qualities and field awareness. That's a deadly combination. At best, he can aspire to be like a Chad Henne and have a long career as a backup. No team is going to win anything if he's your starter. His legacy as a Steeler will be his patented spin to his left while in the pocket and running into a sack. He was just an absolutely over-drafted player and I believe that we all know why this was.
There must be some mistake here. I’ve been told the Steelers were better off with Pickett than the Ravens are with Lamar Jackson.

Net effect of the trade for the Steelers: virtually nothing. They improved 22 spots on one draft pick (120 to 98) and got two 7th round draft picks. They just wanted to dump him ASAP. A big Pitt bust.
Well, they're going to have to add a veteran backup, so my guess is that they either sign Tannehill or trade for Fields. I hope that they do the latter because of the age difference and Fields' possibly untapped potential.

As a Pitt fan, I hope he has a similar career trajectory as Geno Smith, who eventually got a starting job in Seattle after getting benched earlier in his career.
By the way, DuLac confirmed what Mark Madden said after the Seattle game that Pickett refused to dress for that game because Rudolph was going to start. That's just a terrible look and shows that he also was a poor teammate.

By the way, DuLac confirmed what Mark Madden said after the Seattle game that Pickett refused to dress for that game because Rudolph was going to start. That's just a terrible look and shows that he also was a poor teammate.
I’m not refuting that; he definitely could’ve handled it better. Again, it’s smart that they shipped him out now because both sides needed a clean break.

Wow, now what? They've got a twice failed 35 year old QB and lost the reindeer.

200w.gif

Steelers get pick No. 98 and two 2025 7th-round picks.

Eagles get QB Kenny Pickett and No. 120.

Reactions: Ski
Wilson threw 26 tds last season and only 8 ints on a team that had very limited offensive weapons.
Yep...then what? He's still 35. Do you expect one year? two?

And this is a make-or-break year for Tomlin. Add to that, the free-agent market for QBs has already been burnt.

Browns might be open to a trade for Deshaun Watson!

200.gif

Yep...then what? He's still 35. Do you expect one year? two?
At most, I'd expect two seasons. However, I think that he could play fairly effectively well into his 30s like Brady did. However, because of his age, I want them to trade for Fields and draft a qb. Fields has the physical qualties that Pickett doesn't have, and I believe that he can develop into a pretty good qb if he gets into a better system and is coached well.

Reactions: Obliviax
My hope is that the Steelers now trade for Fields.
I hope not--Fields isn't the answer. Adding him just creates the possibility that they settle for him long term with guaranteeing the 5th year. Russ play this year then evaluate things

Reactions: Ski
At most, I'd expect two seasons. However, I think that he could play fairly effectively well into his 30s like Brady did. However, because of his age, I want them to trade for Fields and draft a qb. Fields has the physical qualties that Pickett doesn't have, and I believe that he can develop into a pretty good qb if he gets into a better system and is coached well.
Agreed. Bears look like they are going to take Williams, Maye or Daniels so perhaps they'll take a high Steeler pick for Fields.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Gerry DuLac of the P-G is reporting that the Steelers didn't like how he was handling the signing of Wilson.
Looks like Omar Kahn has taken over the team. Tomlin is now the bench coach who has been told to keep his nose out of player selection issues. Great news for Steelers fans. Pickett is a no talent waste. Surprising the Eagles took him. Maybe they need a small handed water boy.

Looks like Omar Kahn has taken over the team. Tomlin is now the bench coach who has been told to keep his nose out of player selection issues. Great news for Steelers fans. Pickett is a no talent waste. Surprising the Eagles took him. Maybe they need a small handed water boy.
Dunlap mentioned this on Twitter, but he said that Andy Weidl and Danny Rooney (the youngest Rooney who’s 34 y/o) also have a great deal of influence over this team now. Makes sense given what’s happened this offseason… I think we might be seeing a changing of the guard.

Agreed. Bears look like they are going to take Williams, Maye or Daniels so perhaps they'll take a high Steeler pick for Fields.
It appears that Fields' stock is dropping, so they might be able to get him for a 4th, which I would do.

It appears that Fields' stock is dropping, so they might be able to get him for a 4th, which I would do.
well, i'd have agreed if they traded for him and then got rid of Pickett but now they have very little choice. They lost the negotiating high ground.

To be fair
Sutton is better than Pickens has been and Jeudy is better than Austin who's currently our #2 WR
I have a feeling that Tyler Boyd is going to sign here eventually, and they're going to have to sign a #2 receiver or draft a player who can be a #2 because you're right, their wr room basically is empty now. They probably should've signed a center this week because now they probably have to draft one in one of the first two rounds.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Will he accept being behind Hurts? Sounds like he thinks he should be QB1

I have a feeling that Tyler Boyd is going to sign here eventually, and they're going to have to sign a #2 receiver or draft a player who can be a #2 because you're right, their wr room basically is empty now. They probably should've signed a center this week because now they probably have to draft one in one of the first two rounds.
Right--these are my concerns. Do they sign Boyd or maybe a Mike Williams and overpay them. Are they going to draft a WR and hope for the best? Probably need to sign one and draft one as Austin can't be in your top 3.

I hope not--Fields isn't the answer. Adding him just creates the possibility that they settle for him long term with guaranteeing the 5th year. Russ play this year then evaluate things
Here’s an evaluation: we have struck an iceberg. SOS! Repeat: SOS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT