ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the Eagles this year?

One of the most pathetic, embarassing seasons in memory. No one tackles, no turnovers generated, countless 3 and outs and 2 coordinators (OC & DC) that should not step foot back in Pennsylvania after this game. Patricia is a washed up nobody and Brian Johnson is Hurts buddy.

One of the most pathetic, embarassing seasons in memory. No one tackles, no turnovers generated, countless 3 and outs and 2 coordinators (OC & DC) that should not step foot back in Pennsylvania after this game. Patricia is a washed up nobody and Brian Johnson is Hurts buddy.
The bright side of this beating is that there will be a real housecleaning. Get a grown up as a HC and bring Reich back.

Reactions: blmr31 and WaylonJ
It looks like the defenders just rip at the ball allowing the carrier to break tackles and take off. They missed their WR on offense.

There are a lot of old heads at LB and 2ndary who need to play golf. Kelce wanted to stay one more year for a bite at the apple. He's gone. Lane has to go. Maialata should go. Slay, Bradberry and Graham have to go. There's a lot that has to happen. Sirianni is a lot like CJF. He's a rah-rah guy who I don't think knows what the hell is going on.

To your original question IDK what happened. They beat the Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, Cowboys. Tailspin since before thanksgiving. Hurts played hurt all year, God knows what his problem is. It's more than a finger. I bet he gets knee surgery before the SB.

This is the worst collapse in Philly since '64. But we're used to it.

EDIT: Thank (your deity here) that the Kelces are at least broken up if not completely gone. As an Eagle fan I'm fed up and done with Jason Kelce. Fun speech after the SB seven years ago. Thanks. Bye. Also bye to your three false starts per game as the center. Thanks for the memories.

Last edited:
It's like they quit halfway through the year.
Somewhere along the line Hurts couldn't or wouldn't run anymore and that was the ballgame. He played hurt. I don't think they quit necessarily. Who knows. The defense was among the worst in the NFL by almost any metric. It's not all on Hurts. They couldn't tackle an old lady and it wasn't just tonight.

Somewhere along the line Hurts couldn't or wouldn't run anymore and that was the ballgame. He played hurt. I don't think they quit necessarily. Who knows. The defense was among the worst in the NFL by almost any metric. It's not all on Hurts. They couldn't tackle an old lady and it wasn't just tonight.
They went from "must see tv" where even my non sports fan 83 year old mother was planning her Sunday afternoons around their schedule so she could be conversational in her retirement community, to a horror movie.

Felt sort of like the 92 PSU team that got whooped by Stanford in the Blockbuster Bowl- leaderless and lost. Combo that with the 99 teams nosedive w some losses to UM w Brady was late td like Seahawks game/ ass kicked in by MSU was like 49ers and Cowboys games. Giants/ Cards losses were like our Minnesota game. Fugly. No excuses.

Defense was beyond awful but gave them a shot late 2nd/early 3rd tonight. Offense was ineffective. Then wheel fell off the wagon w Bradberry.

Odd that momentum swung on the stopped 2 pt try and then a safety. Final score was not indicative of domination, just like the overall record is not indicative of the collapse

In Philly/ Delcoese: Turrible.

One theory is the team quit on Sirianni and other coaches were really responsible for the team’s previous success. Rich Kotite’s name was mentioned frequently over the past week.

One theory is the team quit on Sirianni and other coaches were really responsible for the team’s previous success. Rich Kotite’s name was mentioned frequently over the past week.
Well based on what I see this year it looks like Steichen and Gannon are pretty good coaches. Dont know much about Sirianni but I suspect you may be right.

There are a lot of old heads at LB and 2ndary who need to play golf. Kelce wanted to stay one more year for a bite at the apple. He's gone. Lane has to go. Maialata should go. Slay, Bradberry and Graham have to go. There's a lot that has to happen. Sirianni is a lot like CJF. He's a rah-rah guy who I don't think knows what the hell is going on.

To your original question IDK what happened. They beat the Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, Cowboys. Tailspin since before thanksgiving. Hurts played hurt all year, God knows what his problem is. It's more than a finger. I bet he gets knee surgery before the SB.

EDIT: Thank (your deity here) that the Kelces are at least broken up if not completely gone. As an Eagle fan I'm fed up and done with Jason Kelce. Fun speech after the SB seven years ago. Thanks. Bye. Also bye to your three false starts per game as the center. Thanks for the memories.
Nailed it re: Kelce. Just tired of his whole schtick.

I think the older parts of the roster just wore down. If you go back to the 10-1 start, a lot of those were close wins that were a play or 2 from being losses. So while they started out 10-1, they weren't dominant.

Hurts not running successfully is also a huge detriment to the offense as he is not a great passing threat without teams respecting his legs. Swift disappeared and they missed Sanders in this back field (or at least a RB like him).

Reactions: mhlarch
I have a theory about Hurts, but my theory is misunderstood and is taken incorrectly as racism: Far too many black quarterbacks in the modern game, unfortunately, have discarded their game, in the efforts to be viewed as a Warren Moon, or a Doug Williams, or a James Harris, and I feel like this could be again happening with Hurts.

If you noticed, one of the reasons for Lamar Jackson having so much success, is that he really never stops being himself, instead of trying to be something different, because of the hyper sensitivity of today's players and how they are viewed....too many times I see great black quarterbacks who are true dual threats, pairing it down to one threat, and I think to ignore the antiquated view of the black quarterback from the 80s and 90s as a running player, is still difficult to do.

Thoughts?

I have a theory about Hurts, but my theory is misunderstood and is taken incorrectly as racism: Far too many black quarterbacks in the modern game, unfortunately, have discarded their game, in the efforts to be viewed as a Warren Moon, or a Doug Williams, or a James Harris, and I feel like this could be again happening with Hurts.

If you noticed, one of the reasons for Lamar Jackson having so much success, is that he really never stops being himself, instead of trying to be something different, because of the hyper sensitivity of today's players and how they are viewed....too many times I see great black quarterbacks who are true dual threats, pairing it down to one threat, and I think to ignore the antiquated view of the black quarterback from the 80s and 90s as a running player, is still difficult to do.

Thoughts?
Totally agree.

It wasn't just Hurts not running, it was also that they stopped being effective running the ball altogether. I think the league figured them out and the OC couldn't adjust. Very similar to PSU this year where the OC schemes and play calling had no chance to be successful and no plan B, C or D. Agree about the DL getting old. Did the GA DT drafted last year get hurt? He seemed like a beast as a rookie.

Nor sure if it is this or the Phillies collapse, at least with the Eagles we could see it coming. I'm still feeling the Phillies debacle more.

Reactions: royboy
Phillies collapse and Eagles collapse - it's a Philly thing. And Dingleberry might be the worst tackler I have ever seen. A lot of players need to go and staff - Devonte seemed to be the only one who gave a sh&t out there.

Nor sure if it is this or the Phillies collapse, at least with the Eagles we could see it coming. I'm still feeling the Phillies debacle more.
Agreed re: Phillies- 2 home losses seemed unfathomable.

Last night was expected- despite the Vegas line of -3.

The first two play calls on 3rd and short said it all- as did the facial expression of #1 afterwards.

Give DeVonte Smith an A+ but otherwise everyone else on O was blase.

Philly can stomach losing- but not without FIGHTING- and yesterday was the opposite of what this city expects.

# House Cleaning

Reactions: Bob2022

Turns out maybe none of those teams were actually good. Dallas is a mess as is Miami. Buffalo hadn't hit their stride yet and KC is mid.

Reactions: heckmans

Thoughts?
We'll see if Lamar can beat the Texans before we start hyping him too much. I think he's the worst QB left in the AFC playoffs including 2 other black QBs. Dual threat QBs never last long in the NFL unless the adapt. See Cam and Vick

I think the older parts of the roster just wore down. If you go back to the 10-1 start, a lot of those were close wins that were a play or 2 from being losses. So while they started out 10-1, they weren't dominant.

Hurts not running successfully is also a huge detriment to the offense as he is not a great passing threat without teams respecting his legs. Swift disappeared and they missed Sanders in this back field (or at least a RB like him).

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^
Last year the team looked dominant at many point. This year it was a 10-1 start full of escapes and a loss to the jets that wound up being foreboding of things to come.

versus 2022:
-Both OC/DC leaving for HC jobs was huge
-The DL got far less pressure. Was Javon Hargrave vs Jalen Carter that much of a difference?
-DBs: Slay seems to have lost a step and Bradberry fell off a cliff. How much of that difference is on DL pressure?
-The birds don't value LBs, but Kyzir White & TJ Edwards last year vs Cunningham and whoever else they ran out this year was a drop off.
-Offensively, it's a head scratcher. All of the chemistry from last year was gone. The only 2 major player departures were Isaac S(OL) and Miles Sanders(RB). Can only think this was all Shane Steichen vs Brian Johnson. In 2022, no one expected too much from Hurts. The play calling reflected this and he shined. In 2023, it seemed like there was too much of a desire to feature Hurts in the play calling vs just calling good balanced plays and letting Hurts, and the other 10 guys execute.

Turns out maybe none of those teams were actually good.
That's probably fair. The Birds also squeaked out a few close wins they easily could have lost to inferior (supposedly) competition. Both Washington games, e.g. Howell went nuts both times. 5 TD combined and nearly 100 attempts and over 600 yds.

Reactions: LandoComando
Steelers fan so I only watch the Eagles sporadically but it’s like 2 different teams.
OIP.yK8UrtCDXaqozQy21c3u1gHaIa

R.bdf6e23c917e91ffe542e598f7b14b5e

The personnel on the defense is just bad, especially the linebackers and secondary. The NFL figured out Hurts and now he’s been completely exposed as an an average at best quarterback.

S

Swift way better

Swift is better than Sanders IMO. I think Gainwell as the second back was the bigger issue. The whole team just collapsed.

Ray Lewis Eviscerated Eagles for Embarrassing Missed Tackles in Playoff Loss to Bucs​

“Guys, listen, let me say this. ... Practicing tackling every day is based on angles,” Lewis told Eli and Peyton Manning on the show. “When you see the angles of these guys and the way they approach tackling, it’s crazy. Like nobody plays together. Put them in a cup. If you put them guys in a cup, you’re not going to see big plays like this. But everybody’s playing individual ball, and that’s insane to me.”

Reactions: LandoComando
The season was still salvageable going into the Seattle game. The most important play of the season was Bradbury getting beat by 5 yards by rookie JSN in the last 30 seconds. Going back to the last series of last years Super Bowl the the end of this season nobody was the symbol of the Eagles demise more than Bradbury.

I watched Shaun King go from a superstar quarterback at Tulane, to a 170 pound guy soaking wet, trying to be Warren Moon.

Damned if I didn't see it AGAIN with Cam Newton.

And AGAIN with Deshawn

Then I remember that time when a brilliant, cerebral CHAMPIONSHIP QB named Charlie get called a "football point guard" instead of what he was: a CHAMPIONSHIP QUARTERBACK. Damned if he doesn't say screw it and play for the Knicks.

I got 20 more examples and can go all night.

Hell, I remember a championship QB from good ole State get called a "running back playing quarterback" Even though he was perhaps our greatest QB in this century.

They went from "must see tv" where even my non sports fan 83 year old mother was planning her Sunday afternoons around their schedule so she could be conversational in her retirement community, to a horror movie.

Felt sort of like the 92 PSU team that got whooped by Stanford in the Blockbuster Bowl- leaderless and lost. Combo that with the 99 teams nosedive w some losses to UM w Brady was late td like Seahawks game/ ass kicked in by MSU was like 49ers and Cowboys games. Giants/ Cards losses were like our Minnesota game. Fugly. No excuses.

Defense was beyond awful but gave them a shot late 2nd/early 3rd tonight. Offense was ineffective. Then wheel fell off the wagon w Bradberry.

Odd that momentum swung on the stopped 2 pt try and then a safety. Final score was not indicative of domination, just like the overall record is not indicative of the collapse

In Philly/ Delcoese: Turrible.
Maybe Philly should have tried taking Mayfields head off by the face mask, since the refs decided they weren't making calls. ( as in the 2 point attempt) I was not expecting the Eagles to win, since it all fell apart after week 11, but I'm not sure I've seen too many games withe more blatant non-calls.

It wasn't just Hurts not running, it was also that they stopped being effective running the ball altogether. I think the league figured them out and the OC couldn't adjust. Very similar to PSU this year where the OC schemes and play calling had no chance to be successful and no plan B, C or D. Agree about the DL getting old. Did the GA DT drafted last year get hurt? He seemed like a beast as a rookie.
The way the end of the season mirrored State was scary. The inability to convert a single 3rd down yesterday brings back the horrors of our big games.

Once Hurts got the Mega contract, he stopped being the threat he was last year. But the defensive play was like watching a bad HS game where they get throttled by being out of position, not tackling, and never getting off the field.

Since it hasn't happened as of 8pm tonight, I think Sirianni is safe but only by a thread. But the other 2 coordinators should be held accountable for their schemes and playcalling and booted. There's too many decent coaches out there to not try a different approach.

In a nutshell, lost OC and DC, and the DBs and LBs suck. Especially, the DBs. You could see the Team wasn't the same team in the first game offensively. They were winning games that could have easily been lost unlike last year. Once the injuries mounted on defense, the wheel fell off that wagon as well.

In a nutshell, lost OC and DC, and the DBs and LBs suck. Especially, the DBs. You could see the Team wasn't the same team in the first game offensively. They were winning games that could have easily been lost unlike last year. Once the injuries mounted on defense, the wheel fell off that wagon as well.
They have the worst LB crew I have ever seen on an NFL team. It’s embarrassing

Roseman should be getting way more blame than he has been for this team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT