ADVERTISEMENT

Not a big Levis fan as a QB

CoastGuard2018

Jul 25, 2017
but he has been a pleasant surprise. The one thing I’ll say as a Steelers fan is that he has a superior arm to Pickett which is why I think Pickett will be no more than an average starter.

Been sacked 3-4 times, hit and/or on the ground more than that. Yet calm in the pocket.

Strong arm, quick release. Surprised he hasn’t run yet but with the starter out guess they can’t risk him.
He has a little bit of Josh Allen in him. Not as talented IMO which will likely see several picks but there's definitely upside. And, yes, is poise in the pocket is maybe the most impressive aspect of his game. Their OL is a disaster and he hasn't let it impact him at all. Going to be cool to watch how he develops.

Kid is playing great but why in the hell do they keep showing him on the sidelines? Must be 20 times now.

Kid is playing great but why in the hell do they keep showing him on the sidelines? Must be 20 times now.
He's the storyline for the Titans. I wish they talked about Henry and Simmons more but I get a young QB getting a ton of screentime.

Levis looks pretty good to me, especially for a rookie. Keep him in. If it takes him some time to work through mistakes then get it done this year so next year you can contend.

They Titans should have traded Derrick Henry and got some draft picks to prepare for the future.

Will’s agent/family/friends are not looking out for his best interests.

Should’ve pulled a Theisman and changed his pronunciation to Lee-Vys by now… free jeans for life!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Watching Levis now indicates how much we mis-used him at Penn State. We never developed him. We never knew what we had. Best thing he ever did was transfer out.
Yeah, its really hard to watch this guy play and not be reminded that our coaching braintrust thought he was more suited to be a fullback. The fact that when he played, they just pounded him over and over. He could, I know its early, go off to be Franklin's best qb and we just used him as a battering ram. Sort of getting a similar feel with pribula btw. If they don't ever give that kid some real play and let him develop an arm and passing game, he'll go somewhere where they develop qbs...or at least give them a chance to you know...throw.

Watching Levis now indicates how much we mis-used him at Penn State. We never developed him. We never knew what we had. Best thing he ever did was transfer out.
I am not sure there is much difference between Levis and Clifford. We had two solid qbs and obviously only one could start. Levis did well to transfer to get his opportunity. I rooted for him last night.

Reactions: Hero17
Pickett has a very slow release. Winds up like a baseball pitcher.
Pickett throws likes a pitcher who who just had Tommy John Surgery the day before; he was winding up last night and has very little velocity. Other than leading a lot of fourth quarter comebacks, which is a plus, he looks like a career back-up like a Hoyer or Henne, which still is a good job if you can get it.

As far as Levis, I was impressed, but I want see him play for a series of games before I form an opinion about him as an NFL starting qb. He does throw with good velocity, and it appears as if he has leadership qualities. Regardless, he certainly has progressed since he last played at PSU in 2020 as a glorified running back.

Pickett throws likes a pitcher who who just had Tommy John Surgery the day before; he was winding up last night and has very little velocity. Other than leading a lot of fourth quarter comebacks, which is a plus, he looks like a career back-up like a Hoyer or Henne, which still is a good job if you can get it.

As far as Levis, I was impressed, but I want see him play for a series of games before I form an opinion about him as an NFL starting qb. He does throw with good velocity, and it appears as if he has leadership qualities. Regardless, he certainly has progressed since he last played at PSU in 2020 as a glorified running back.
Pickett has to wind up to throw to compensate for his weak arm. I'm surprised he doesn't throw the ball underhand with both hands since his hands are so small.

Last edited:
He never was going to be a RPO QB, which is what we were running when he was here. Very heavy RPO. A square peg in a round hole.

Even if he was allowed to run our offense he probably wouldn’t have done very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
Yeah, its really hard to watch this guy play and not be reminded that our coaching braintrust thought he was more suited to be a fullback. The fact that when he played, they just pounded him over and over. He could, I know its early, go off to be Franklin's best qb and we just used him as a battering ram. Sort of getting a similar feel with pribula btw. If they don't ever give that kid some real play and let him develop an arm and passing game, he'll go somewhere where they develop qbs...or at least give them a chance to you know...throw.
As above, he is not an RPO QB. But another factor….and a huge problem IMO……is that a lot of coaches refuse to play the backup QBs even with a lead. They are afraid the backup will look better than the starter and start a QB controversy.

See it all the time. Tomlin would never take out Ben even if they were up by 30. Same with other teams in both college and NFL. And if the backup does come in they just run the ball or hand off. Can’t show up the coach…..🤷🏼‍♀️

But it leads to disgruntled backups and ones that aren’t ready should the starter go down.

Reactions: ram2020
As above, he is not an RPO QB. But another factor….and a huge problem IMO……is that a lot of coaches refuse to play the backup QBs even with a lead. They are afraid the backup will look better than the starter and start a QB controversy.

See it all the time. Tomlin would never take out Ben even if they were up by 30. Same with other teams in both college and NFL. And if the backup does come in they just run the ball or hand off. Can’t show up the coach…..🤷🏼‍♀️

But it leads to disgruntled backups and ones that aren’t ready should the starter go down.
Yeah, and Franklin has been talking about this Pribula package with Allar on the field(I believe its coming because Franklin gets asked about it all the time now). If Pribula never throws the ball even in mop up duty, this "package" is easy to defend. Basically Pribula serves as a RB(not one nearly as good as Allen/Singleton) and Allar just plays the slow QB position? If Pribula could do both, and had put it on tape, he becomes a much harder player to defend and account for if there is some package for him.

Gee I am shocked it took so long for this idiotic post. Congratulations. As far as the lack of development in college, didn’t he play his last 2 years at Kentucky. PS. I too have been impressed with him.

the bottom line is that we had two NFL calibre QBs. Clifford was older and a year in the program so he got the start over Levis. When Levis came on and saw Clifford was going to start, he bailed out to Kentucky. This was a smart move. PSU had Clifford and Levis was a starter at Kentucky.

Sadly, that left us without a decent backup QB. We had a strong team and lost Clifford at a critical time with a decent lead at Iowa. Our lack of a backup lost us that game. We went on to lose more. I recall how Clifford could barely move against ILL in the famous 9 OT game. We probably win both of those games with Levis at QB and he'd have started a significant portion of that year.

But it all worked out.

the bottom line is that we had two NFL calibre QBs. Clifford was older and a year in the program so he got the start over Levis. When Levis came on and saw Clifford was going to start, he bailed out to Kentucky. This was a smart move. PSU had Clifford and Levis was a starter at Kentucky.

Sadly, that left us without a decent backup QB. We had a strong team and lost Clifford at a critical time with a decent lead at Iowa. Our lack of a backup lost us that game. We went on to lose more. I recall how Clifford could barely move against ILL in the famous 9 OT game. We probably win both of those games with Levis at QB and he'd have started a significant portion of that year.

But it all worked out.
Something happened to him after he left PSU and went to UK, because he wasn't the qb at PSU that he was at UK, probably because he was misused at PSU. However, I must say that I wasn't impressed with him when he played at PSU, but he certainly would've been a much better option when Clifford got hurt at Iowa and for the Ilinois game. In the end, it worked out great both for Clifford and him, and I'm happy for both of them. By the way, I wouldn't be surprised to see Clifford get some playing time after GB drops hopelessly out of it this season.

Something happened to him after he left PSU and went to UK, because he wasn't the qb at PSU that he was at UK, probably because he was misused at PSU. However, I must say that I wasn't impressed with him when he played at PSU, but he certainly would've been a much better option when Clifford got hurt at Iowa and for the Ilinois game. In the end, it worked out great both for Clifford and him, and I'm happy for both of them. By the way, I wouldn't be surprised to see Clifford get some playing time after GB drops hopelessly out of it this season.
I am not sure how I feel about this. He was raw and needed to be developed. We used him as a running QB in mostly short-yardage situations. Obviously, you put more time into your starter especially when he is not a senior. It may be we didn't develop him but then you have to give the staff credit for developing Clifford. Since it is the same staff, I have to assume it is simply maturity and focus on Clifford in those years when Levis was on campus.

I am not sure how I feel about this. He was raw and needed to be developed. We used him as a running QB in mostly short-yardage situations. Obviously, you put more time into your starter especially when he is not a senior. It may be we didn't develop him but then you have to give the staff credit for developing Clifford. Since it is the same staff, I have to assume it is simply maturity and focus on Clifford in those years when Levis was on campus.
Although he didn't win any championships except for the Cotton and Rose Bowls, and was a frustrating player at times, I believe that Clifford is one of the more underrated players in PSU history, especially considering that he wasn't some 4 or 5 star player. I mean, he had two 11 win seasons and probably would've had another one in 2021 if he hadn't gotten injured and won two "major" bowl games, and I'll never hold what happened in the 2020 mess of a season against him. I was surprised, and happy, that he was drafted and actually made GB, which is an accomplishment in itself.

We used him only as a runner. Never allowed him to pass so we have no idea how good or bad he was. And we tried to force him as a RPO QB but he was never that type QB.

A bad fit and never got a chance.

Reactions: Obliviax
Green Bay plays Steelers next week. Hoping to see back to back former PSU QBs.

Reactions: Obliviax
Although he didn't win any championships except for the Cotton and Rose Bowls, and was a frustrating player at times, I believe that Clifford is one of the more underrated players in PSU history, especially considering that he wasn't some 4 or 5 star player. I was surprised, and happy, that he was drafted and actually made GB, which is an accomplishment in itself.
Agreed. I didn't think he had the arm. His final year at PSU was far better than previous years. I recall the loss to Indiana and some really bad decisions he made in that game. Contrast that to the Rose Bowl where he was nearly perfect. The staff had to make a decision and I can't fault them for that. It would have been tough to take a popular starting QB and switch to a QB that still needed development.

Although he didn't win any championships except for the Cotton and Rose Bowls, and was a frustrating player at times, I believe that Clifford is one of the more underrated players in PSU history, especially considering that he wasn't some 4 or 5 star player. I mean, he had two 11 win seasons and probably would've had another one in 2021 if he hadn't gotten injured and won two "major" bowl games, and I'll never hold what happened in the 2020 mess of a season against him. I was surprised, and happy, that he was drafted and actually made GB, which is an accomplishment in itself.
He was a 4-star recruit.

Green Bay plays Steelers next week. Hoping to see back to back former PSU QBs.
A problematic thing with GB is that they have to justify drafting Love as Rodgers' replacement, so he's probably going to be given a lot of rope to fail before they pull the plug on him.

He was a 4-star recruit.
Was he? 247 had him as a 3 others had him as a 4. I know he was not recruited by tOSU. He was the QB of St. Xavier who won the top high school championship. He was a real gamer playing the championship game with a bad shoulder. He was considered to be a McSorley type of player. Most of his offers were mid-tier (Pitt, WVU, BC, NW, etc.)

He never was going to be a RPO QB, which is what we were running when he was here. Very heavy RPO. A square peg in a round hole.

Even if he was allowed to run our offense he probably wouldn’t have done very well.
Levis is an outstanding physical talent, and he's looked good for a rookie the last two weeks. In college, his accuracy on intermediate passes was iffy (at least according to the gurus/talking heads), he didn't show great pocket awareness, and threw some really dreadful INTs. If he improves in those areas, I think he will be pretty good.

To your point, I think they had been running PSU's current offense with Yurcich, it may have been Clifford transferring out.

Pickett seems to have a marginal NFL arm. It seems he has to put all he has into medium length NFL throws which causes him to not be as accurate with those throws as other, better NFL QB's are. This was fully on display last night, as if Pickett would have been a little more accurate on 4 or 5 throws when he had receivers open the Steelers may have been ahead and have won by 2+ TD's.

It's hard enough for NFL WR's to get open and when they are a team can't have their QB sailing uncatchable passes by him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT