ADVERTISEMENT

The Steelers just traded Pickett to the Eagles.

But don’t you see that’s exactly what they’re doing? They shipped off the players who had/were going to create locker room distractions (Johnson, Pickett) and are pretty much retooling the entirety of the offense. Not to mention making big splash moves on the defensive side of the ball.

Also, what evidence is there to suggest they’re poor talent evaluators? Khan and Weidl have been in charge for one year, and their first draft class was pretty good. This isn’t Kevin Colbert running the show anymore.
No problem. I’m just ragging on Lando Knowi-It-All because he can’t accept that Lamar Jackson was the best player in the league. Twice. I agree the Steelers are selectively retooling but they may have to end up taking a wrecking ball to it. Dumping Pickett, a quarterback taken in the first round while still under his first contract, was an admission of a mistake. For every first round miss you have to get second or third round stars and that’s harder to do.

Yeah, their talent evaluation has been terrible. Last two drafts other than Pickett: Broderick Jones, Joey Porter, Keanau Benton, Darnell Washington, Nick Herbig, George Pickens, Demarvin Leal, Calvin Austin, Conner Heyward. All starter or significant contributors. Help me understand this poor talent evaluation thing.
OK last two drafts may turn out better but you have to admit they haven’t been hitting it out of the park in the Tomlin era. Pickett was the kind of selection that sets you back. They should probably stick to drafting Penn Staters. They’ve been good to them.

No problem. I’m just ragging on Lando Knowi-It-All because he can’t accept that Lamar Jackson was the best player in the league. Twice. I agree the Steelers are selectively retooling but they may have to end up taking a wrecking ball to it. Dumping Pickett, a quarterback taken in the first round while still under his first contract, was an admission of a mistake. For every first round miss you have to get second or third round stars and that’s harder to do.
Lando and I don’t agree on much but Lamar Jackson was never as good as Mahomes in any year.

Good move for both sides. Steelers prevent any distractions in the locker room while Pickett gets a fresh start in Philly. He’ll backup Hurts for a years or two and then hopefully he gets a chance to start again elsewhere.

I think both of these are mutually exclusive and can be true:

- Russell Wilson is a clear upgrade over Pickett
- Although Pickett might’ve never become an MVP, the Steelers absolutely did not put him in a position to succeed
Position to succeed?

He had to take 2 steps to get enough velocity for throws real NFL QB’s make on the run. And his lack of pocket presence, lack of awareness of the rush, led to unnecessary sacks.

Gotta commend Khan for making the moves necessary to try and build a team to compete for championships. Lots of pieces needed but this is the time to move on so the positions of need can be addressed in the draft.

Lots of high draft choice QB’s don’t pan out and this likely leads to the Steelers taking another shot at finding a good one.

Last edited:
Lamar has never, not for a day in his life, been better than Mahomes

How did Lamar get in this conversation, he’s a Raven not a steeler
He got in the conversation because for two seasons especially this one Lamar Jackson was most definitely the best player in the league. Near unanimous MVP. But Lando Know-It-All can’t accept that so he starts stomping his feet, holding his breath, then screaming Mahomes! Mahomes! Mahomes! at the top of his lungs.

How did Lamar get in this conversation, he’s a Raven not a steeler
And Lamar has a .333 win percentage against the Steelers. Not someone to compare to the great Steelers Super Bowl QB’s…. who feasted on their divisional foes….

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Position to succeed?

He had to take 2 steps to get enough velocity for throws real NFL QB’s make on the run. And his lack of pocket presence, lack of awareness of the rush, led to unnecessary sacks.

Gotta commend Khan for make the moves necessary to try and build a team to compete for championships. Lots of pieces needed but this is the time to do it so the positions of need can be addressed in the draft.

Lots of high draft choice QB’s don’t pan out and this likely leads to the Steelers taking another shot at finding a good one.
I say this as a Steelers fan, not a Pitt fan (because I’m a fan in that order when it comes to my sports allegiances):

They did him no favors by 1) only giving him third string reps in his rookie training camp before throwing him onto the field five games in and 2) not ditching Canada after the 2022 season when it obvious he was at least part of the problem.

I absolutely agree that he regressed after his rookie season and showed poor pocket presence the entire team. And I, too, commend Khan for ripping the band aid when it was apparent that it wasn’t working. It was time for both sides to move on. However, they could’ve handled the QB situation from the start. Who knows if it would’ve made much of a difference.

As I recall, Kevin Colbert drafted Pickett in his last draft as Steelers Gm when he was on his way out the door. It's tough to saddle a new GM with a QB that he didn't pick.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I say this as a Steelers fan, not a Pitt fan (because I’m a fan in that order when it comes to my sports allegiances):

They did him no favors by 1) only giving him third string reps in his rookie training camp before throwing him onto the field five games in and 2) not ditching Canada after the 2022 season when it obvious he was at least part of the problem.

I absolutely agree that he regressed after his rookie season and showed poor pocket presence the entire team. And I, too, commend Khan for ripping the band aid when it was apparent that it wasn’t working. It was time for both sides to move on. However, they could’ve handled the QB situation from the start. Who knows if it would’ve made much of a difference.
It's irrelevant now. Pickett is a backup in Philadelphia. Khan is cleaning house.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Me on hearing the news Pickett is no longer a Steeler.

new york yankees baseball GIF by Warner Archive

The Pitt Liar pussy cats are having a 💩fit! Multiple threads. Blaming the Steelers. Blaming the media. Blaming Penn State!😹
Real Steeler fans are happy. The ones who support Pitt can feel free to follow Kenny and his clipboard this season in Philly. Something tells me they won't give a shit come September.

Reactions: Ski and bison13
I didn't know Mahomes had a Heisman. Oh, that's right, he doesn't. Lamar was a better college player.
Being a great QB in college means absolutely nothing when it comes to being a great pro
If you want to hype him up for being an elite runner in college go for it.

Reactions: Ski
As I recall, Kevin Colbert drafted Pickett in his last draft as Steelers Gm when he was on his way out the door. It's tough to saddle a new GM with a QB that he didn't pick.
I'm guessing that wasn't solely Colbert's call. This mistake was made because they didn't want to miss out on the next Dan Marino.

Reactions: 77 PSU
Being a great QB in college means absolutely nothing when it comes to being a great pro
Anyone with elementary knowledge of football knows Lamar won the Heisman Trophy, two MVP awards and doesn’t cry like a little bitch at offsides penalties. So he has been better than Mahomes on at least 4 occasions. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Anyone with elementary knowledge of football knows Lamar won the Heisman Trophy, two MVP awards and doesn’t cry like a little bitch at offsides penalties. So he has been better than Mahomes on at least 4 occasions. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
How many rings do they have? It's literally all that matters. Lamar wins awards that are voted on my individuals while proving nothing on the field. Again, the Steelers suck but the Ravens will never win a title as long as they have Lamar. If he wins one, which he won't, let me know. There's a reason not a single team was willing make a move to add him when they could have.

How many rings do they have? It's literally all that matters. Lamar wins awards that are voted on my individuals while proving nothing on the field. Again, the Steelers suck but the Ravens will never win a title as long as they have Lamar. If he wins one, which he won't, let me know. There's a reason not a single team was willing make a move to add him when they could have.
Anything you say, Nostradamus.

Lamar's accomplishments don't stack up to what Mahomes has done in the post-season:

15-3 record
4 Conference Titles
3 Super Bowl wins

It's not a close call

Reactions: LeatherHelmets

Having not watched a lot of Pitt games to assess Pickett, is it possible he was overrated in college? Having watched the Steelers, he looked overmatched talent-wise.

I like the move for both sides. Pickett goes to a team loaded with weapons and he isn't required to start. Steelers obviously not happy with him, but they get a fresh start with a rental while figuring things out.
I agree...from an Iggles perspective it is exchanging Mariotta for Pickett plus some lower tier draft capital.

Pickett was a late developing pro prospect of an odd time with Covid and a Pitt" tallest midget" ACC "championship". His faux slide against Wake is an example of him tricking anyone who believed he was great. Rules changed because of it.....bush league move.

Lost in the hub-bub is that Philly is a lot closer to his hometown. While Ocean Township is definitely an NYC centric suburb, the City of Brotherly Love is only 80 miles away. Not a bad pick up by Howie. There are minimal expectations for Pickett in Philly. Hopefully he stabilizes himself and is ready for another shot down the road.

Reactions: lazydave841

I know. Those We Beat The Ravens Banners are impressive hanging from your stadium.
FYI. The champions don’t put “banners” for teams they steamrolled on their way to Super Bowl Championships, only the Super Bowl championship banners.

We can understand why you don’t have a clue on the subject……

Reactions: bison13
I had no idea until I looked it up that Mahomes ked FBS in all major passing statistics his last year in college. That's because he was on a 5-7 team and had pretty much zero Heisman consideration. And let's face it, most Texas Tech QBs have been seen as system guys, so you just don't get too excited about it when one of them has a lot of yards. He was lucky to get a coach like Andy Reid and have plenty of talent around him. He may not have been so successful if he landed elsewhere.

I like the move for both sides. Pickett goes to a team loaded with weapons and he isn't required to start. Steelers obviously not happy with him, but they get a fresh start with a rental while figuring things out.
I don't understand this move for the eagles. Pickett is a different style QB than hurts and would be unlikely to be able to execute the same offense. Unless Howie thinks he can use KP as trade fodder in the draft, or when an Aaron Rodgers gets hurt early, it's a head scratcher for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT