ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Bowl — 2:30pm

Because a big performance in this game could help big time in terms of draft stock.
Yep it's amazing how many dumb asses try to correlate playing in a worthless end-of-the-year bowl game against a seven or eight win team to practicing for a week and playing in a game where you are coached by NFL coaches who are giving you direct instruction and telling you what they want to see from you in order to draft you. All 32 NFL teams have representatives at this event, that doesn't happen at a bowl game.

Yep it's amazing how many dumb asses try to correlate playing in a worthless end-of-the-year bowl game against a seven or eight win team to practicing for a week and playing in a game where you are coached by NFL coaches who are giving you direct instruction and telling you what they want to see from you in order to draft you. All 32 NFL teams have representatives at this event, that doesn't happen at a bowl game.
A week wont make a difference. A devastating knee injury may ruin your career. Seems a big gamble for a weeks’ worth of coaching. Dumb ass.

Reactions: Gitzit
Aren't a lot of college coaches former NFL coaches? Why is the Senior Bowl coaching so superior?

Aren't a lot of college coaches former NFL coaches? Why is the Senior Bowl coaching so superior?
It's not necessarily that coaching is superior, it's more of the idea that all 32 teams are represented in Mobile. Players will never get the opportunity outside of the Senior Bowl to play in front of all 32 teams prior to the draft outside of the game.

A week wont make a difference. A devastating knee injury may ruin your career. Seems a big gamble for a weeks’ worth of coaching. Dumb ass.
Why go to the combine? Could get a devastating knee injury and ruin your career. Seems like a big gamble.

Reactions: bison13
Way higher return-on-investment practicing for a week in front of all 32 pro teams versus practicing for some bowl game to try and get your eighth win. 40 plays of tape versus actual coaches and GM's seeing you run drills against other draft prospects not your teammates. Dumbass.

Way higher return-on-investment practicing for a week in front of all 32 pro teams versus practicing for some bowl game to try and get your eighth win. 40 plays of tape versus actual coaches and GM's seeing you run drills against other draft prospects not your teammates. Dumbass.
I have no idea how old you are, but there is this new invention called video. It’s all over the internet. Anyone can watch every single snap all these guys have taken in their career, for some dating back to high school. Your argument, as always, is specious and antiquated. All those teams have already seen so much more actually playing time film of these guys. They don’t need this week to know who to draft. The truth, which you refuse to acknowledge, is that there is a much lower chance to show something new to these coaches than getting hurt. This game is an out of date exhibition. So instead of acknowledging a valid point, you immediately resort to name calling and pejoratives. This is the reason you are, indeed, a dumbass.

I have no idea how old you are, but there is this new invention called video. It’s all over the internet. Anyone can watch every single snap all these guys have taken in their career, for some dating back to high school. Your argument, as always, is specious and antiquated. All those teams have already seen so much more actually playing time film of these guys. They don’t need this week to know who to draft. The truth, which you refuse to acknowledge, is that there is a much lower chance to show something new to these coaches than getting hurt. This game is an out of date exhibition. So instead of acknowledging a valid point, you immediately resort to name calling and pejoratives. This is the reason you are, indeed, a dumbass.
And name calling makes your “point” stronger huh? Maybe you should look in the mirror.

EAD

lol people are so mad about players sitting out bowl games because they're meaningless that they can't comprehend how spending a week with NFL coaches and having that exposure is far better in terms of their career goals smh

You made my argument for me. You're right they can always go back and watch video so why do they need 40 more plays from a useless bowl game when they can actually do in-person reps at practice for an entire week. You know something that you see live versus on tape generally gives you a better overall impression of what the person can really do.

Reactions: BarryPSU
You made my argument for me. You're right they can always go back and watch video so why do they need 40 more plays from a useless bowl game when they can actually do in-person reps at practice for an entire week. You know something that you see live versus on tape generally gives you a better overall impression of what the person can really do.
I would argue the bowl game isn’t useless. I’d argue that the player made a commitment to the team and visa versa. A player writing on his team would lower his draft value IMHO if I were an NFL GM. Why wouldn’t he do the same to an nfl team?

I would argue the bowl game isn’t useless. I’d argue that the player made a commitment to the team and visa versa. A player writing on his team would lower his draft value IMHO if I were an NFL GM. Why wouldn’t he do the same to an nfl team?
Ehh, if you play at a power 5 school in a smaller bowl its almost useless to the nfl guys, which is what we're talking about. I've had two former players drafted and one was before the opt out stuff and one more recent. The older kid played in bowl game as a 7-5 team, the recent one was on an 8-4 team. Both of them went to Senior Bowl or east West shrine game type of events. In both cases their week of practice at those events and the combine changed their draft status by one-two rounds, in their interviews neither was asked anything about a bowl game or asked to go over film of it, just conference games.

Ehh, if you play at a power 5 school in a smaller bowl its almost useless to the nfl guys, which is what we're talking about. I've had two former players drafted and one was before the opt out stuff and one more recent. The older kid played in bowl game as a 7-5 team, the recent one was on an 8-4 team. Both of them went to Senior Bowl or east West shrine game type of events. In both cases their week of practice at those events and the combine changed their draft status by one-two rounds, in their interviews neither was asked anything about a bowl game or asked to go over film of it, just conference games.
I really don’t agree and that isn’t what I said. I am a ‘team’ guy. There is no team when the stars bug out on their team obligations

I really don’t agree and that isn’t what I said. I am a ‘team’ guy. There is no team when the stars bug out on their team obligations
Hey I get it, I'd love for these guys to play in the bowl games as well but I'm referring to the people who make a comment like why are they going to the Senior Bowl since they sat out the bowl game. They are two vastly different things. Anybody who doesn't see that these reps they get in front of 32 NFL general managers are far more significant that a bowl game for their careers. If you ask all of their teammates you'll see that almost every one of their teammates supports their decision as well because they want to be in that same spot a year or two later.

Hey I get it, I'd love for these guys to play in the bowl games as well but I'm referring to the people who make a comment like why are they going to the Senior Bowl since they sat out the bowl game. They are two vastly different things. Anybody who doesn't see that these reps they get in front of 32 NFL general managers are far more significant that a bowl game for their careers. If you ask all of their teammates you'll see that almost every one of their teammates supports their decision as well because they want to be in that same spot a year or two later.
Well. I don’t get it either. There are going to be tons of opportunities in front of scouts

Would be interesting to “run the numbers” on career ending Senior Bowl injuries vs the total number who have played in the past 50 years. There have probably been a few, but I don’t recall them off hand. —- I get that a “slam dunk“ top 10 draft choice would opt out….. and maybe a first rounder, but this game has mitigated a great deal of injury scenarios through their modified rules. The benefits, in the aggregate, seem to outweigh the modified game risks. Apke used one of these games, along with a very good combine, to work his way up in the draft.—— It’s football, people get hit. Most of these guys have been playing it since they were 5 years old. College players should not be fearful of playing in these games. It’s a reward…. They should have fun

It’s not the coaching. It’s that the scouts are all over practices and drills to evaluate players.

The game itself is a glorified HS all start game. Players are not being worked out for scouts in practice. Coaches are on a short string trying to get an offense and defense installed. Most guys like Brisker and Dodson are not going to benefit from the game or practice. It is fringe guys who benefit the most and might catch a scout's eye and those guys are not the ones opting out of bowl games. Draft positions for guys like Brisker/Dodson are going to be most impacted by the combine, his season film and a teams personal workout of the player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT