ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State defeats Rutgers on Senior Day 27-6

Seriously, as an outsider, I'm shocked with the progress this year of Allar. I honestly thought he had star written all over him - he was recruited by everyone. I think this just the lack of a really good offensive staff. Pretty sad actually
I think the coaches have broken him. They are all in his head and he is trying to satisfy each them. they should just let him play his football game.

I could not watch the game live. After watching the recording I have just a few thoughts:
  • Our offense is a bad fit for Allar, but it was pretty clear (to me) that the Rutgers receivers were better against our defensive backs than were our receivers against their defensive backs. Think about that. This is the reason Drew has been ineffective and often goes through streaks of inaccuracy in frustration. Our receivers look small, slow, and don't seem to go after the ball with much effort compared to some we have had in the past. Either the coaching is poor or the players are relatively poor. Perhaps both. Once again, there was little separation. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the patterns being run are not what was called. Our tight ends are serviceable but not superstars. They are not big targets. Our QBs have no targets downfield.
  • Our defensive strength is obviously at defensive end and linebacker. A few freak athletes are making the unit elite. Huge concerns when those guys move on.
  • The only boneheaded calls (to me) were the successive Beau sneaks on 3rd and 4th down. There were no big tight-ends in the backfield for the push, and Beau isn't particularly big. Have no idea what they were thinking. We did not play to our own strengths -- quickness -- and instead played to our weakness (size).
  • I wanted to see Beau drop back and pass just to see what he's got, even though there would have been no logical reason for it, and likely would have been incomplete given our receivers. The big boys will find a way to stop him if he is our #1 and we don't have some downfield passing. We don't have receivers, nor tight ends, that are going to win on jump balls. We could become like the service academies.
  • The injury to Drew Allar -- how it occurred -- is exactly why I don't like running the quarterback. Same thing could happen to a quarterback like Beau Pribula. In fact I would say that it is likely to happen during the course of a season or two. Then what? Do you split the position expecting one to go down?
  • Beau's mobility allows the roll out run-pass option. That is really tough to defend. Imagine that with a downfield receiver threat.
Watching Beau run reminded me of what a true spread offense can do to a defense. Rutgers had to defend the running back and the quarterback for the width of the field. They could not do it. That is what a spread passing attack is supposed to do. All it took was a little bit of space, a good athlete, and the results were huge.

Can't tell how much is scheme and how much is player, but to my eye the WR group is a mess. Needs a major portal cleanup, including coaching. If the group isn't revamped then Drew would be foolish to stay. Half of the offense is impaired. A six-star quarterback isn't going to have success. It's such a waste. For years I wanted to see a quarterback like Drew Allar at Penn State, and now the coaches have screwed it up.

I could not watch the game live. After watching the recording I have just a few thoughts:
  • Our offense is a bad fit for Allar, but it was pretty clear (to me) that the Rutgers receivers were better against our defensive backs than were our receivers against their defensive backs. Think about that. This is the reason Drew has been ineffective and often goes through streaks of inaccuracy in frustration. Our receivers look small, slow, and don't seem to go after the ball with much effort compared to some we have had in the past. Either the coaching is poor or the players are relatively poor. Perhaps both. Once again, there was little separation. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the patterns being run are not what was called. Our tight ends are serviceable but not superstars. They are not big targets. Our QBs have no targets downfield.
  • Our defensive strength is obviously at defensive end and linebacker. A few freak athletes are making the unit elite. Huge concerns when those guys move on.
  • The only boneheaded calls (to me) were the successive Beau sneaks on 3rd and 4th down. There were no big tight-ends in the backfield for the push, and Beau isn't particularly big. Have no idea what they were thinking. We did not play to our own strengths -- quickness -- and instead played to our weakness (size).
  • I wanted to see Beau drop back and pass just to see what he's got, even though there would have been no logical reason for it, and likely would have been incomplete given our receivers. The big boys will find a way to stop him if he is our #1 and we don't have some downfield passing. We don't have receivers, nor tight ends, that are going to win on jump balls. We could become like the service academies.
  • The injury to Drew Allar -- how it occurred -- is exactly why I don't like running the quarterback. Same thing could happen to a quarterback like Beau Pribula. In fact I would say that it is likely to happen during the course of a season or two. Then what? Do you split the position expecting one to go down?
  • Beau's mobility allows the roll out run-pass option. That is really tough to defend. Imagine that with a downfield receiver threat.
Watching Beau run reminded me of what a true spread offense can do to a defense. Rutgers had to defend the running back and the quarterback for the width of the field. They could not do it. That is what a spread passing attack is supposed to do. All it took was a little bit of space, a good athlete, and the results were huge.

Can't tell how much is scheme and how much is player, but to my eye the WR group is a mess. Needs a major portal cleanup, including coaching. If the group isn't revamped then Drew would be foolish to stay. Half of the offense is impaired. A six-star quarterback isn't going to have success. It's such a waste. For years I wanted to see a quarterback like Drew Allar at Penn State, and now the coaches have screwed it up.
The single best post I have seen all year. Thank you Sir. Excellent job.

Purge the wr room. Do it after the Sparty game and let the kids play in the bowl. Nope, not kidding...these guys Doggin it don't deserve a bowl game.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Right now the only wrs I'm keeping for next year are Wallace, Evans, Saunders, Clifford, and Driver. I'm sorry but blow it up.

Excellent comments from @KnightWhoSaysNit
Help at WR is needed urgently. Existing players developing? Addition from the portal? Maybe.

Another hope IMO -- the top incoming recruit Quinton Martin from Belle Vernon. He is big, strong and fast, physically ready to contribute. Versatile enough to play Running Back or Defense, but WR is the position of need.

Reactions: bison13
Excellent comments from @KnightWhoSaysNit
Help at WR is needed urgently. Existing players developing? Addition from the portal? Maybe.

Another hope IMO -- the top incoming recruit Quinton Martin from Belle Vernon. He is big, strong and fast, physically ready to contribute. Versatile enough to play Running Back or Defense, but WR is the position of need.

Thank you.

I collected my thoughts and wrote them down immediately after watching the recording, and before reading any other opinions beforehand.

On a simple play, watching #3 run a Hitch when Allar throws an Out says it all. At this point in the season that simply should not happen. We even had a pass go right through the hands of not one receiver, but two, on the same play. How in the world would any passer develop confidence?

My guess is warren , the deeper receiver. Drew expected the shallow WR to keep running and clear the area.
I agree - because it was a bullet if 3 was the intended receiver. But, that said Drew has had some issues with velocity (touch).

I agree - because it was a bullet if 3 was the intended receiver. But, that said Drew has had some issues with velocity (touch).

He did not have touch issues early in the season. At times he is pressing, and that speaks to the mess that is his "supporting" cast.

Yesterday I did see some throws where it was clear that he was taking something off, but it almost looked like he had to take a split second beforehand to slow himself down. There is just no rhythm to his game, and I think we know the cause.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT