ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St vs Liberty in bowl game?

psu00

Jan 4, 2010
Tulane is losing to SMU 26-14 with 1:30 left. Does this make Liberty the highest ranked G5? Penn St vs Liberty in the Peach bowl? Might be better to get bumped down to the Citrus Bowl for the better matchup.

Reactions: FlyinLion1
Who gets to play Liberty? And where? Basis for your logic?
Top G5 is guaranteed a NY6 bowl. That looks to be #24 Liberty (13-0) now as #22 Tulane (11-2) just lost to unranked 11-2 SMU (assuming they don’t have SMU jump them).

The 2 most common predictions were the Peach bowl being either Penn St vs Missouri or Penn St vs Tulane (now Liberty?).

Tulane is losing to SMU 26-14 with 1:30 left. Does this make Liberty the highest ranked G5? Penn St vs Liberty in the Peach bowl? Might be better to get bumped down to the Citrus Bowl for the better matchup.

Citrus would be a much better location too. Don't care how nice the stadium in Atlanta might be. That is not a preferred holiday destination. I certainly would not choose to live there. Dallas isn't a great place during the winter as well.

With revenue sharing all you're gaining by being a NY6 team is a little bit of prestige. To the fans who go to the game I don't think that would matter. The game is 3 hours out of a holiday vacation. You'd spend more time in a bar or at a beach.

Yeah if Georgia gets left out their "reward" might be playing Louisville yet people don't want a larger playoff. Georgia should play all their backups.

Citrus would be a much better location too. Don't care how nice the stadium in Atlanta might be. That is not a preferred holiday destination. I certainly would not choose to live there. Dallas isn't a great place during the winter as well.

With revenue sharing all you're gaining by being a NY6 team is a little bit of prestige. To the fans who go to the game I don't think that would matter. The game is 3 hours out of a holiday vacation. You'd spend more time in a bar or at a beach.
Better yet... spend the time at a beach bar!

Top G5 is guaranteed a NY6 bowl. That looks to be #24 Liberty (13-0) now as #22 Tulane (11-2) just lost to unranked 11-2 SMU (assuming they don’t have SMU jump them).

The 2 most common predictions were the Peach bowl being either Penn St vs Missouri or Penn St vs Tulane (now Liberty?).

Question that I can't find an answer.

Is there a "limit" on the "highest rated" G5 team? For example, if the highest ranked team is #50, are they still in NY6? I'd like to think there has to be a qualifier.

Is there a "limit" on the "highest rated" G5 team? For example, if the highest ranked team is #50, are they still in NY6? I'd like to think there has to be a qualifier.
No matter what a G5 team gets a spot

Not that I recall. It’s top G5 gets a NY6 spot. It’s ridiculous as Tulane would have been #22 and yet still get a NY6 game over many more worthy teams.

That's bad policy. There needs to be a qualifier.

A qualifier would open the opportunity for abuse. Make it a top 25 requirement and suddenly the committee just won’t rank g5 schools.

But yes it stinks. You may never see a 5 seed lose assuming the g5 team will always be 12.

Reactions: johnmpsu and m.knox
Impossible for an undefeated team to be left out!
Yeah, if they’re going to leave FSU out because they’re in a weak conference, they better go back in history and pull the NC trophy away from a lot of teams.

Yeah, if they’re going to leave FSU out because they’re in a weak conference, they better go back in history and pull the NC trophy away from a lot of teams.
It will be UM, UW, Bama, FSU in that order. The only team truly screwed is Texas, who can beat anyone in that top 4.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Michigan
Washington
Florida St
Texas
Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Oregon
Penn State
Missouri

Texas over Alabama because of head to head and Bama’s miracle win at Auburn. Committee must leave SEC out if they have any credibility otherwise they are just another “country club” group ringing up one hell of a bill doing absolutely nothing!

Michigan
Washington
Florida St
Texas
Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Oregon
Penn State
Missouri

Texas over Alabama because of head to head and Bama’s miracle win at Auburn. Committee must leave SEC out if they have any credibility otherwise they are just another “country club” group ringing up one hell of a bill doing absolutely nothing!
As long as you have subjective criteria to determine who gets to compete objectively to win a championship....

Having said that, this committee no longer needs to be as concerned with any precedent that might be construed from their eventual selections. This format will no longer exist with the expanded playoff format next year.

A compelling case can be made for the selection of more teams than the four available slots. Penn State Football historically understands the consequences of coming up short in the subjective selection process that selects who is or gets to participate for the MNC.

With their putrid P5 OOC record the SEC has earned not getting any team in. With one last stab at integrity they will seal their legacy and kiss SEC a$$.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT