ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Kentucky Citrus Bowl Official Game Thread

When Paterno promoted Jay, he made sure that he had a mentor available in Galen Hall. Rahne may turn out to be great, but it's hard to argue that this season hasn't been a baptism by fire for him.

What's concerning is we did not see much improvement on offense or special teams throughout the season. If the offense matured to the same degree as the defense did this season, this game would have been a cakewalk

Yeah, I love the fourth quarter effort. If there had been ANY effort in the other three quarters, we win this game easily. Which is embarrassing, or at least should be.
Agree. It seems we wake up when we are 20 points behind and too much to overcome.

Ironic how what we could NOT do in games that we lost this season which is run out the clock is what beats us in the bowl game with Kentucky able to run out the clock.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Stoops has built the program on a strong foundation. There is lots of talent ready to play next season at Kentucky.
Not really....they won’t even be bowl eligible next year. Kentucky does not reload.

Imagine getting a first down with game on line.
Your defense should be able to make a stop with 4 plus minutes left in the game and 3to.
You had one of the best specials teams coaches in the country on the staff and you couldn’t keep him. You lost him to Mississippi State and thought a “never was” like Phil Galiano was going to come in and run the show. His qualifications? He’s a PSAC guy.

You lost one of the hottest young coaches in the country becaue you chose to promote Ricky Rahne over him to a position he wasn’t prepared to fill. That young coach ended up at Alabama.

Isn’t James Franklin the head of this program? Why doesn’t he bear the responsibility for his terrible personnel decisions?
In fairness Huff and Moorhead were reportedly very close. Hard to keep him.
When Paterno promoted Jay, he made sure that he had a mentor available in Galen Hall. Rahne may turn out to be great, but it's hard to argue that this season hasn't been a baptism by fire for him.

What's concerning is we did not see much improvement on offense or special teams throughout the season. If the offense matured to the same degree as the defense did this season, this game would have been a cakewalk
Promoting Jay was possibly the single worst football decision Paterno made in his career. I don’t care if he brought in Bill Walsh as a mentor.

Anyone think Galiano should drop special teams and go back to winemaking?

He shouldn’t get a clipboard at Shippensburg. Doesn’t St Joes Prep need a coach? Never mind, they probably wouldn’t hire him.

If they went for it on 4th and didn’t get it and the D gave up two first downs, the result: We lose. So no complaints. The complaints were taking the possibility for the lead away from the team.
Agree. I would not have liked our chances in OT with the way Kentucky runs the ball. I would have preferred forcing KY to drive 50-60 yards to try to get into FG position to win the game. Don't think they would have done it.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
The kid led us to 2 TDs on a supposed broken foot and you take the game out of his hands?

Sadly it wasn’t even the first time this season...

I bet, based on PT today, that Miles S is going pro. My gut says Shareef Miller goes too. If any of the O Line go, they are dumb. They ALL need A LOT of work/ improvement. Every one of them. Really sick of having a shitty O Line

The elephant in the room is that assumes: (1) Pinegar makes the first FG (2) The D holds on downs (3) Pinegar makes a 2nd FG.

Pinegar OOTOMH was a 50% success rate this year. As hot as 9 was in 4th quarter, a 4th and 6 was easily a 50% success rate, with a conversion likely leading to taking the lead late in game. IF Pinegar makes 2 FG's , you still have to outscore KY in OT.

Exactly. Kicking that FG is playing for OT at best. Had all the moments and a red hot QB. Worst case scenario is they go for it and ge stopped and KY is pinned deeper than they were after the kickoff. Count on your D get a stop and go for the TD again. Best case you let your all everything red hot QB win the freaking game for you.

Yep. It’s epically mind blowing that when you absolutely need a stop that Johnson and Farmer were in the game.

And run your base defense with safeties back like Kentucky was going to throw on us. Pry is an idiot. He didn’t bring up the safeties until they ran Snell up the middle 6 consecutive plays. Then we shut them down.

Not deferring was important especially trying the long pass on first down, leaves 2nd & 3rd and long, then punt.

Still dropping passes, Windsor & Cam hurt the D in the long run, Ricky ran well, O- line has to give the qb a little more time, Clifford's has a great arm and is accurate needs to work on stepping in the pocket.

I thought overall UK had better athletes on both lines, with their experience.

Reactions: step.eng69
Completely disagree. Sucked all the momentum out of the stadium, and we never got the ball back. I said it was a mistake before the play, so not “second guessing.” It was flat out wrong.
It sucked ZERO momentum out...you didn’t see the defense bouncing around? They just didn’t stop Kentucky’s power runs...the momentum wasn’t lost until giving up successive first downs

Reactions: Greg80
If they went for it on 4th and didn’t get it and the D gave up two first downs, the result: We lose. So no complaints. The complaints were taking the possibility for the lead away from the team.
It's called Playing/Coaching to WIN, not playing/coaching NOT TO LOSE. That's why I yelled at the TV when the FG team went onto the field.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
And run your base defense with safeties back like Kentucky was going to throw on us. Pry is an idiot. He didn’t bring up the safeties until they ran Snell up the middle 6 consecutive plays. Then we shut them down.
Yeah. Frustrating

Exactly. Kicking that FG is playing for OT at best. Had all the moments and a red hot QB. Worst case scenario is they go for it and ge stopped and KY is pinned deeper than they were after the kickoff. Count on your D get a stop and go for the TD again. Best case you let your all everything red hot QB win the freaking game for you.
Precisely!

Reactions: Storm at Sea
And I refer you to every Bama team for the last 10 years and Clemson for the last 5 years. Having great players makes the X’s and O’s easier. Please point to a great X’s and O’s coach who can’t recruit that ever won a NC.

I said BOTH are necessary.

In 1987 we saw how an overwhelmingly superior team could get beat when their coaching staff calls a stupid game. Today's game wasn't called as bad as that by Jimmy Johnson, but I wouldn't say it was good either. What was obvious is that the team came in unprepared.

I want a disciplined team that plays smart, with sound fundamentals, instead of one that seems to roll on emotion.

Don't see discipline in the NFL anymore, especially with the Steelers, which is why I rarely watch them anymore. There are strong similarities here with the Steelers -- a loaded team that lost several games it should have won. You can refuse to recognize them. Your choice.

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
My reflection on this loss is that someone should have told Franklin that the game actually started at 1:00 PM, and not 3:00 PM....

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
I said BOTH are necessary.

In 1987 we saw how an overwhelmingly superior team could get beat when their coaching staff calls a stupid game. Today's game wasn't called as bad as that by Jimmy Johnson, but I wouldn't say it was good either. What was obvious is that the team came in unprepared.

I want a disciplined team that plays smart, with sound fundamentals, instead of one that seems to roll on emotion.

Don't see discipline in the NFL anymore, especially with the Steelers, which is why I rarely watch them anymore. There are strong similarities here with the Steelers -- a loaded team that lost several games it should have won. You can refuse to recognize them. Your choice.
Great players make a coach look like a better X’s and O’s guy. Saban seems to be a better X’s and O’s guy now that he’s at Bama. But great strategy coaches don’t win if they can’t recruit.

Reactions: step.eng69
You didn’t need 2 scores

Sorry - you don’t need two scores, but you *do* need a TD. Take the FG and you can ‘settle’ for a FG next time you get the ball if need be. If you fail at the TD, you HAVE to get a TD next time you have the ball. One option gives you an opportunity for a win or OT, the other only gives you the option to win. I wouldn’t disagree with going for it, but taking the FG gives you more options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: psu_1294
Todays game was very reflective of the other big games we playedd this year. All except Michigan very much in each game but found a way to lose. Ohio State, Mich State are both games we should have won. Today, we should have beat Ken but found a way to beat ourselves. We lost each game every bit as much as OSU, MSU and Ken found a way to win the games. PSU has to find a way to win these games and hopefully the special teams disaster will change and some of the new recruits will be able to contribute next year

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The elephant in the room is that assumes: (1) Pinegar makes the first FG (2) The D holds on downs (3) Pinegar makes a 2nd FG.

Pinegar OOTOMH was a 50% success rate this year. As hot as 9 was in 4th quarter, a 4th and 6 was easily a 50% success rate, with a conversion likely leading to taking the lead late in game. IF Pinegar makes 2 FG's , you still have to outscore KY in OT.
We have the winner !

I bet, based on PT today, that Miles S is going pro. My gut says Shareef Miller goes too. If any of the O Line go, they are dumb. They ALL need A LOT of work/ improvement. Every one of them. Really sick of having a shitty O Line

What's the point of coming back if the coaching staff can't help you improve? McGovern and Bates should enter the draft.

So, unfortunately it seems that Windsor’s disciplinary issue may have made a difference in stopping the run in the fourth quarter...

Reactions: 83wuzme
We have the winner !

No, we don't. Take away EVERYTHING ELSE and kicking the FG in the fourth was still the right call. Even if you look at the raw data, we were about 50% or so on 4th down conversions all year. Pinnegar was at 71% (the made up '50%' statistic notwithstanding). Much better chance to make the FG and hand over to your D, where if they get a stop, you can play for a FG to force overtime or for the win. If you fail on the fourth down conversion, it's game over with 4+ minutes left, because you don't have time to play for two FGs after that since you HAVE to try to win. Limits your options - this isn't hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT