ADVERTISEMENT

obli's observations: bowl game "coordinator by committee" version

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I haven't posted these this year but felt compelled to do so after having attended the bowl game. Sorry, it is late. Been a crazy week.

Overall, I felt that the absence of a DC and OC killed us more than the players. It looked like we stuck with the pregame plan no matter how the game played out. Why? My guess is that nobody had the authority to change it. It had to be changed "by committee" and that didn't happen. I've heard rumors that the banished OC wasn't taking recommendations from CJF and that is why he was fired mid-season. If that was the case, I am sure position coaches didn't want to look like they were crossing CJF in this game, even when the game dictated adjustments were needed. In defense of CJF, with LoI day, portals, looking for an OC and filling for a DC all within a few weeks was an impossible ask.

General:
  • Just a great venue. Mercedes Benz Stadium, or the "MBS" as the locals call it, is just phenomenal. This has been posted several times so won't get into game experience but it was really good. The stadium is easily the best I've attended. I hear SoFi and the Vegas stadiums are great but I haven't been there.
  • I had seats in the first row of the upper deck. Not having anyone in front is great but the view was really fantastic for watching plays develop. I was just above the PSU band. I bought the seats on Megaseats a few days before. I probably should have waited until the night before but didn't want these front row seats to get away.
  • The Ole Miss gals were the most attractive I've ever seen at a football game. Most were dressed up. Many wore white cowboy boots and short skirts (dallas cowboy cheerleader-ish). But many just wore high heeled boots with a skirt, dress or tight jeans. But most, even the older, were in good shape. I contrast this to most PSU gals that wore jeans or sweats with running shoes. I know, our academic standards are higher, amiright?
  • I am not a big fan of the ATL but the city is just right for these big events. We flew into ATL and checked into the AC Gateway hotel. There were a half dozen hotels there and it is off the first stop on the tram that takes you to the rental cars. So we could take the tram to the hotel, take it back to the airport and get on the MARTA. MARTA literally stopped at the basketball arena in the sports complex area. So we were at the stadium a half hour after walking out of our hotel: No parking, no traffic, no hassles. Friday night we watched a bowl game at Champions Sports bar while getting some bar food at the Marriott a block from the AC hotel. In the end, transportation was better, faster and more comfortable at almost no cost, parking, rental or hassle.
  • Our band members can really dance. Much better than the Ole Miss band.
  • I am not sure if people say it but Ole Miss had an assistant make up a burner X (twitter) account like it was a PSU reporter and reported that Kalen King said that PSU was going to hammer Ole Miss. It was exposed before the game, and admitted to by Kiffin, that this was done with his knowledge by a coaching staff member. I think that is really bush league and why a guy like Kiffin, an offensive genius, isn't coaching a blue blood program.

Our Defense with Ole Miss' offense
  • We were clearly undermanned with several blown coverages. We were better in the trenches. I know we started some young CBs but how can you NOT KNOW giving up inside leverage when you line up two yards from the OOBs line isn't ideal?
  • Giving credit where due, Dart was throwing dimes (see, I didn't say "dart") and the receivers (all of them) were catching everything. Their offense was very creative and very well-called. The quick toss, faked or real, would probably still be working today if we played the game for five days straight. The CB/S play seemed blind to the play.
  • Hardy, I read, played in all 85 defensive snaps. He had to be 100% gassed. Carter getting hurt killed us and he wasn't 100% starting the game. I much appreciate Carter and Hardy's effort.
  • We blitzed on every 3rd or 4th and long. It was the book. Often, we dropped a DE but no way in hell was Vanover going to be able to cover their TE or RB in the flat.
  • We were very unfortunate with two bang-bang plays that could have been early turnovers. I am not saying they were bad calls but had one or both gone our way, things may have been different. And a key PI penalty was BS. But, alas, such is referring in football these days.
  • Kiffen's use of tempo is the best in college football. I noticed that he would sub players in on offense when the play went out of bounds near the Ole Miss bench and the refs missed the sub in and PSU didn't have time to sub in to respond. This happened at least six times that I saw. How they execute that so fast in this detailed game situation is genius. And the refs are trying to run the clock, set the ball and too busy to notice. I think they started to notice late in the game as PSU started the "slow sub" game and the refs stopped Dart from initiating the offense but it was too late to effect the game.
Our Offense and Ole Miss' Defense
  • Again, coaching by committee killed us. It was clear that Singleton was on a mission and Ole Miss wasn't going to stop him. But the game plan called for a balanced offense. Despite running the ball down Ole Miss' throats, we went to the pass. Why? I have to believe nobody had the authority to go off script and thus, we played the game with the intention to follow the plan rather than win the game.
  • I have to believe that there is plenty of infighting on offense. Cephas didn't play a single snap. We didn't complete a pass to a WR until well into the 4th quarter. KLS disappeared. The first two completions to a WR were to Clifford and then he disappeared.
  • From my vantage, KLS was getting blown off of his routes. They were being physical with him and the QB couldn't depend on his route or cut. So he was a non-event. The other guys were getting no separation in "man" and seemed to hesitate against zone. They seemed like they were so concerned about the route that there was no physical effort.
  • Singleton was wide open all day when he was in there. The TEs were superior and played well. Theo was limited due to "opting out" and that hurt us in the second half when he played sparingly (if at all). Dinkins will be good but he's not there yet.
  • I like Pribula a lot but....if you watch closely, he almost drops the ball on his TD run when starting out and trying to tuck it away. Dang. And that gadget play to Allar was being set up all day and Beau threw it 16 yards too high. With some of his odd stumbles earlier in the season, he needs to learn to play within himself. I don't think the staff trusts him to be consistent and that is hurting the second QB package being used much.
  • Allar actually looked better. He had a couple of good runs and extended plays. But he is often inconsistent with accuracy. It is hard to say if it is the WR or him but I don't see that inconsistency when he's throwing to a TE or RB. So....assuming we don't lose too much in the portal, next year is all about getting the WRs engaged with this offense. I hear the noise about Allar but no pocket passer is going to be good unless he's got WRs engaged. And since he plays well with TEs and RBs, I have to assume the WR is the problem.
  • Having said that, not sure why we didn't run Beau more. And not sure whey we tried to kick a 53 yard FG down by 14 with 4:20 left in the game. There is less than a 50% chance of making the kick and we'd still be kicking off with a two TD deficit (11 points). I know it was 4th and 16 but even a punt to try and limit their offense deep in their own territory would have been a better outcome at that point in the game IMHO.
Summary
  • why so many opt-outs late? I get that the staff may have known about some but others were clearly a surprise. while some opt outs traveled and were on the sideline, one didn't make the trip. Why? Was there a fight?
  • While it is there right to opt out, I have come to the conclusion that it disgusts me. The teammate and fans invested a lot and they turned their back. It is there right. There are no rules against it. But there are lots of things in life that are "legal" but "not cool". I've lost respect for them, to be honest.
  • You spend a lot of time and resources to support the team and then have a have dozen kids not show up. So why support them in bowls? Next year, the CFP teams tickets will be $400 or more. I went this year thinking it was a NYD6 game that would keep the kid's interest and still be at a reasonable price. Next year, you'll have the CFP 12 and a bunch of weed eater/poptart bowls between directional texas university and another team that just moved up a division that will be attended by 15,000 fans (mostly family and students). Big deal.
  • If something doesn't change, I'll go to MAC games and will limit myself to watching major college football on TV. For three people, we probably spent $2,500 to $3,000 and that was on the cheap. (three round-trip flights, three-night hotel, three days of overpriced meals and three-days away from the rest of the family). It was fun. But I could have also spent a week at Snowbird in Utah or Key West.

I haven't posted these this year but felt compelled to do so after having attended the bowl game. Sorry, it is late. Been a crazy week.

Overall, I felt that the absence of a DC and OC killed us more than the players. It looked like we stuck with the pregame plan no matter how the game played out. Why? My guess is that nobody had the authority to change it. It had to be changed "by committee" and that didn't happen. I've heard rumors that the banished OC wasn't taking recommendations from CJF and that is why he was fired mid-season. If that was the case, I am sure position coaches didn't want to look like they were crossing CJF in this game, even when the game dictated adjustments were needed. In defense of CJF, with LoI day, portals, looking for an OC and filling for a DC all within a few weeks was an impossible ask.

General:
  • Just a great venue. Mercedes Benz Stadium, or the "MBS" as the locals call it, is just phenomenal. This has been posted several times so won't get into game experience but it was really good. The stadium is easily the best I've attended. I hear SoFi and the Vegas stadiums are great but I haven't been there.
  • I had seats in the first row of the upper deck. Not having anyone in front is great but the view was really fantastic for watching plays develop. I was just above the PSU band. I bought the seats on Megaseats a few days before. I probably should have waited until the night before but didn't want these front row seats to get away.
  • The Ole Miss gals were the most attractive I've ever seen at a football game. Most were dressed up. Many wore white cowboy boots and short skirts (dallas cowboy cheerleader-ish). But many just wore high heeled boots with a skirt, dress or tight jeans. But most, even the older, were in good shape. I contrast this to most PSU gals that wore jeans or sweats with running shoes. I know, our academic standards are higher, amiright?
  • I am not a big fan of the ATL but the city is just right for these big events. We flew into ATL and checked into the AC Gateway hotel. There were a half dozen hotels there and it is off the first stop on the tram that takes you to the rental cars. So we could take the tram to the hotel, take it back to the airport and get on the MARTA. MARTA literally stopped at the basketball arena in the sports complex area. So we were at the stadium a half hour after walking out of our hotel: No parking, no traffic, no hassles. Friday night we watched a bowl game at Champions Sports bar while getting some bar food at the Marriott a block from the AC hotel. In the end, transportation was better, faster and more comfortable at almost no cost, parking, rental or hassle.
  • I am not sure if people say it but Ole Miss had an assistant make up a burner X (twitter) account like it was a PSU reporter and reported that Kalen King said that PSU was going to hammer Ole Miss. It was exposed before the game, and admitted to by Kiffin, that this was done with his knowledge by a coaching staff member. I think that is really bush league and why a guy like Kiffin, an offensive genius, isn't coaching a blue blood program.

• We were clearly undermanned with several blown coverages. We were better in the trenches. I know we started some young CBs but how can you NOT KNOW giving up inside leverage when you line up two yards from the OOBs line isn't ideal?
  • Giving credit where due, Dart was throwing dimes (see, I didn't say "dart") and the receivers (all of them) were catching everything. Their offense was very creative and very well-called. The quick toss, faked or real, would probably still be working today if we played the game for five days straight. The CB/S play seemed blind to the play.
  • Hardy, I read, played in all 85 defensive snaps. He had to be 100% gassed. Carter getting hurt killed us and he wasn't 100% starting the game. I much appreciate Carter and Hardy's effort.
  • We blitzed on every 3rd or 4th and long. It was the book. Often, we dropped a DE but no way in hell was Vanover going to be able to cover their TE or RB in the flat.
  • We were very unfortunate with two bang-bang plays that could have been early turnovers. I am not saying they were bad calls but had one or both gone our way, things may have been different. And a key PI penalty was BS. But, alas, such is referring in football these days.
  • Kiffen's use of tempo is the best in college football. I noticed that he would sub players in on offense when the play went out of bounds near the Ole Miss bench and the refs missed the sub in and PSU didn't have time to sub in to respond. This happened at least six times that I saw. How they execute that so fast in this detailed game situation is genius. And the refs are trying to run the clock, set the ball and too busy to notice. I think they started to notice late in the game as PSU started the "slow sub" game and the refs stopped Dart from initiating the offense but it was too late to effect the game.
  • Again, coaching by committee killed us. It was clear that Singleton was on a mission and Ole Miss wasn't going to stop him. But the game plan called for a balanced offense. Despite running the ball down Ole Miss' throats, we went to the pass. Why? I have to believe nobody had the authority to go off script and thus, we played the game with the intention to follow the plan rather than win the game.
  • I have to believe that there is plenty of infighting on offense. Cephas didn't play a single snap. We didn't complete a pass to a WR until well into the 4th quarter. KLS disappeared. The first two completions to a WR were to Clifford and then he disappeared.
  • From my vantage, KLS was getting blown off of his routes. They were being physical with him and the QB couldn't depend on his route or cut. So he was a non-event. The other guys were getting no separation in "man" and seemed to hesitate against zone. They seemed like they were so concerned about the route that there was no physical effort.
  • Singleton was wide open all day when he was in there. The TEs were superior and played well. Theo was limited due to "opting out" and that hurt us in the second half when he played sparingly (if at all). Dinkins will be good but he's not there yet.
  • I like Pribula a lot but....if you watch closely, he almost drops the ball on his TD run when starting out and trying to tuck it away. Dang. And that gadget play to Allar was being set up all day and Beau threw it 16 yards too high. With some of his odd stumbles earlier in the season, he needs to learn to play within himself. I don't think the staff trusts him to be consistent and that is hurting the second QB package being used much.
  • Allar actually looked better. He had a couple of good runs and extended plays. But he is often inconsistent with accuracy. It is hard to say if it is the WR or him but I don't see that inconsistency when he's throwing to a TE or RB. So....assuming we don't lose too much in the portal, next year is all about getting the WRs engaged with this offense. I hear the noise about Allar but no pocket passer is going to be good unless he's got WRs engaged. And since he plays well with TEs and RBs, I have to assume the WR is the problem.
  • Having said that, not sure why we didn't run Beau more. And not sure whey we tried to kick a 53 yard FG down by 14 with 4:20 left in the game. There is less than a 50% chance of making the kick and we'd still be kicking off with a two TD deficit (11 points). I know it was 4th and 16 but even a punt to try and limit their offense deep in their own territory would have been a better outcome at that point in the game IMHO.
Summary
  • why so many opt-outs late? I get that the staff may have known about some but others were clearly a surprise. while some opt outs traveled and were on the sideline, one didn't make the trip. Why? Was there a fight?
  • While it is there right to opt out, I have come to the conclusion that it disgusts me. The teammate and fans invested a lot and they turned their back. It is there right. There are no rules against it. But there are lots of things in life that are "legal" but "not cool". I've lost respect for them, to be honest.
  • You spend a lot of time and resources to support the team and then have a have dozen kids not show up. So why support them in bowls? Next year, the CFP teams tickets will be $400 or more. I went this year thinking it was a NYD6 game that would keep the kid's interest and still be at a reasonable price. Next year, you'll have the CFP 12 and a bunch of weed eater/poptart bowls between directional texas university and another team that just moved up a division that will be attended by 15,000 fans (mostly family and students). Big deal.
  • If something doesn't change, I'll go to MAC games and will limit myself to watching major college football on TV. For three people, we probably spent $2,500 to $3,000 and that was on the cheap. (three round-trip flights, three-night hotel, three days of overpriced meals and three-days away from the rest of the family). It was fun. But I could have also spent a week at Snowbird in Utah or Key West.
Hopefully you're right and no one goes to bowls moving forward that aren't a part of the playoff. Franklin was trying so hard to sell fans that our program is different that he mislead everyone about the opt outs.

General:

Summary
The shenagigans that went on with this bowl definitely will affect my interest in all future non-playoff bowls in which PSU participates. Based on the opt-outs, there was very little chance that PSU ever was going to win that game, so why did they waste our time? I know that this never will happen, but if that's the way things are going to be for bowls like the Peach Bowl, then I would prefer that they just stay home.

Steve Jones actually said on the post-game show that he knew that Olu wasn't going to play all along, which I suspected too. However, this basically was kept hidden until game time.

I think as bad as the opt outs are all of the guys who were on a pitch count and played very limited snaps, which was obviously the plan all along. It really stood out with Curtis Jacobs, where we decided to play an obviously injured Abdul Carter instead of Jacobs because....who knows? It wasn't until Rojas ALSO got hurt that Jacobs came in for a few snaps. Total crock of shit. PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

General:

Summary
“It is hard to say if it is the WR or him but I don't see that inconsistency when he's throwing to a TE or RB.”

Beg to differ, Allar missed several throws to RBs and even when completed, most of the time the RBs had to turn and twist limiting their ability to turn up field. This was a consistent problem the whole season. He also has to understand that RBs are not WRs and adjust the velocity (touch) when getting the ball to them.

Reactions: Ski and hlstone

General:

Summary

Summary
  • If something doesn't change, I'll go to MAC games and will limit myself to watching major college football on TV. For three people, we probably spent $2,500 to $3,000 and that was on the cheap. (three round-trip flights, three-night hotel, three days of overpriced meals and three-days away from the rest of the family). It was fun. But I could have also spent a week at Snowbird in Utah or Key West.”
THIS !!!!!!!!

I think as bad as the opt outs are all of the guys who were on a pitch count and played very limited snaps, which was obviously the plan all along. It really stood out with Curtis Jacobs, where we decided to play an obviously injured Abdul Carter instead of Jacobs because....who knows? It wasn't until Rojas ALSO got hurt that Jacobs came in for a few snaps. Total crock of shit. PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!
Fashanu was on a pitch count all season, at least in the uncompetitive games, and Franklin even admitted it in so many words early in the season. I could live with that as long as it didn't affect the outcome of games. However, like I previously said, PSU had very little chance to win this game because of the opt outs and the way that many of the opt ins were used.

Reactions: RickinDayton

General:

Summary
Great insights and post.

I agree on the opt outs and feel bad for you shelling out that kind of money and time to watch a shell of the team we had. If I had gone to this game I would have felt totally duped. All excited to see a good game, New Years 6 bowl game, SEC opponent and then you get that.

I want to make a point though with the opt outs and the team's performance. I contend that even with the opt outs we should not have looked that bad particularly in the secondary. I watched the coach Codutti (sp?) film show breakdown and it was blown coverage after blown coverage. I realize these guys are young and inexperienced but c'mon man, Dart did anything he wanted. I think their last TD he coined the easiest one in Peach Bowl history. The back leaks out uncovered and a dump/lob pass of five yards right up the middle. It was like we had five guys out there not eleven.

You nailed it. No adjustments, nada. Really?? Kiffin adjusted after the first series and just took us to the woodshed. I am not saying we should have won but we should not have been behind 38-17 with 6 minutes left or whatever it was. So the in-game adjustments were non existent but why were these guys not more prepared? Are they just not very good? Not a good look for those interim coordinators and you could be right that was the difference. They were over their head.

I have to mention the Carter injury threw us for a loop. Now we have no speed in the middle and no playmaker so that just compounded our issues.

Then the complete invisibility of the WRs is pathetic. I mean they can't get open at all? Literally never, until we are 3 scores behind and the defensive dynamic changes. How can Penn State recruit 4 star receivers and they are incapable of making any catches? What a complete embarrassment. You have to look at the QB for some of this.

This leads me to the elephant in the room. Do we have a dud at QB? There is not one Penn State football fan who feels better about the QB position than on Sept 2? We have gone from we have the Savior who will be awesome for us to at this point just give us Clifford back. Pribula is not the answer. He is a change of pace guy. By the way could that trick play where he throws it behind Allar and 3 yards over his head out of bounds to lose 12 yards be a worse play? Wow was that bad when we could have done some damage there and gotten back in the game.

Great insights and post.

I agree on the opt outs and feel bad for you shelling out that kind of money and time to watch a shell of the team we had. If I had gone to this game I would have felt totally duped. All excited to see a good game, New Years 6 bowl game, SEC opponent and then you get that.

I want to make a point though with the opt outs and the team's performance. I contend that even with the opt outs we should not have looked that bad particularly in the secondary. I watched the coach Codutti (sp?) film show breakdown and it was blown coverage after blown coverage. I realize these guys are young and inexperienced but c'mon man, Dart did anything he wanted. I think their last TD he coined the easiest one in Peach Bowl history. The back leaks out uncovered and a dump/lob pass of five yards right up the middle. It was like we had five guys out there not eleven.

You nailed it. No adjustments, nada. Really?? Kiffin adjusted after the first series and just took us to the woodshed. I am not saying we should have won but we should not have been behind 38-17 with 6 minutes left or whatever it was. So the in-game adjustments were non existent but why were these guys not more prepared? Are they just not very good? Not a good look for those interim coordinators and you could be right that was the difference. They were over their head.

I have to mention the Carter injury threw us for a loop. Now we have no speed in the middle and no playmaker so that just compounded our issues.

Then the complete invisibility of the WRs is pathetic. I mean they can't get open at all? Literally never, until we are 3 scores behind and the defensive dynamic changes. How can Penn State recruit 4 star receivers and they are incapable of making any catches? What a complete embarrassment. You have to look at the QB for some of this.

This leads me to the elephant in the room. Do we have a dud at QB? There is not one Penn State football fan who feels better about the QB position than on Sept 2? We have gone from we have the Savior who will be awesome for us to at this point just give us Clifford back. Pribula is not the answer. He is a change of pace guy. By the way could that trick play where he throws it behind Allar and 3 yards over his head out of bounds to lose 12 yards be a worse play? Wow was that bad when we could have done some damage there and gotten back in the game.
Your dud at QB is my major question as well and I will attack it later in this post.

As for the game: I am not sure what James was trying to do with all his "our culture is so great" propaganda. He already has the m.o. that he is just a talker and things like this add to the people calling him out on it.

I understand that King and Dixon were out.....but are Miller and Tracey really the next men up? Where are the older vets? did we flop on about 3 classes of DB that we had to go to a FR and a SO? If so the depth chart needs to be a question.

Why do we go years with a great culture, and then sneak a boner in there every few years? Seems like something was always off this year.

And now for the big one. I am not impressed 1 bit with the year Allar put up. I am not calling for BP to be the QB but I do believe that the teams has the same record at the end of the year with BP as the QB. I saw videos and videos of DA making all the throws, yet when it comes to the game he completely blanks out and makes non of those throws. I really hope that it was a scheme thing for both the QB's and WR's on the team.

Reactions: 84Lion
What is Franklin's positional strength in coaching? Coaches are out, he should be able to step in and take over/help out as needed and do as good or better of a job, especially when he's got a month to prepare.

Hopefully you're right and no one goes to bowls moving forward that aren't a part of the playoff. Franklin was trying so hard to sell fans that our program is different that he mislead everyone about the opt outs.
i've heard quite a few people who went to the game, laid out $thousands, say "no more". I think franklin really lost some credibility this year with the last minute opt outs and the "pitch count" players.

General:

Summary
I was a few rows behind you Obli. Pretty much agree with everything you posted here!

Reactions: Obliviax
The shenagigans that went on with this bowl definitely will affect my interest in all future non-playoff bowls in which PSU participates. Based on the opt-outs, there was very little chance that PSU ever was going to win that game, so why did they waste our time? I know that this never will happen, but if that's the way things are going to be for bowls like the Peach Bowl, then I would prefer that they just stay home.

Steve Jones actually said on the post-game show that he knew that Olu wasn't going to play all along, which I suspected too. However, this basically was kept hidden until game time.
Curious if Jones really was told about Olu, or that was just his prediction. Many of us would have guessed that Olu wouldn't play, as a likely top 10 pick there was no reason to. But why was he in uniform and going through warm ups? At one point late in the game I saw Olu talking up the OL that were playing and thought to myself that if I'm one of those lineman I'm telling Olu to get lost, because he chose not to play and therefore left the position group weaker and I don't want to hear his pep talk.

This was similar to the UM game. We started that game dominating the LOS on defense, especially Chop abusing UM's RT. After 2 possessions of that, UM adjusted and that was it, we never countered their adjustment and UM started consistently running with moderate success, kept the chains moving, game over.

Curious if Jones really was told about Olu, or that was just his prediction. Many of us would have guessed that Olu wouldn't play, as a likely top 10 pick there was no reason to. But why was he in uniform and going through warm ups? At one point late in the game I saw Olu talking up the OL that were playing and thought to myself that if I'm one of those lineman I'm telling Olu to get lost, because he chose not to play and therefore left the position group weaker and I don't want to hear his pep talk.
Jones said on the post game show that Fashanu was listed as inactive before the game, or words to that effect (I can't remember his exact language), and he knew that he wasn't going to play even though he was in uniform.

• Angry
Reactions: MacNit2.0
Jones said on the post game show that Fashanu was listed as inactive before the game, or words to that effect (I can't remember his exact language), and he knew that he wasn't going to play even though he was in uniform.
Well yeah, every team is required to publish and player participation report about an hour or so before the game. Everyone knew at that point that Olu wasn't playing, so Jones wasn't privy to anything that wasn't public knowledge then.

I don't believe he was in uniform on game day.

He absolutely was in uniform and in full pads on the sideline. It was weird considering it was announced an hour earlier in the player report that he was unavailable.
they showed him in uniform, on the sidelines ,during the TV broadcast.

with all the "i love you" and talk of "family" that comes from the program, I would really be surprised and disappointed if fashanu, dixon and king didn't tell franklin they were opting out long before 1 hour prior to kickoff.

Reactions: Ski

General:

Summary
1. If a player opts out b4 the trip, leave them home. Remove them from player housing and meals. Ban them from fb facilities.
2. If they opt out the day of the game, don't take them to the game and don't let them on the plane to go home. Remove them from player housing and food plans.
Don't let them use football facilities.
Loyalty must be a 2 way street. These kids lives as stars have become gimmie, gimmie, gimmie.
Time for a dose of reality.
3. 80% of NIL money for Jr's and Srs to be paid after the last game.
4. If Franklin knew the outs all along, Kraft should fine him heavily for stiffing the fans.
5. This had to be terrible for team morale before, during, and after the game.
6. All strategies must aim to protect and reward loyal players and the fans.

Fans should boycott any bowl that is not a playoff game. Money (the loss of it) talks to those in power. A message must been sent. I will add that the media should question Kraft & Franklin about why the opt outs (other than Chop & Dixon) were hidden from fans until the day before and day of the game. There needs to be accountability.

Last edited:
Fans should boycott any bowl that is not a playoff game. Money (the loss of it) talks to those in power. A message must been sent. I will add that the media should question Kraft & Franklin about why the opt outs (other than Chop & Dixon) were hidden from fans until the day before and day of the game. There needs too be accountability.
As much as I dislike him, it is too bad ol’ Davey Jones retired. This is a question I’m sure he would love to take on. It would be fun to watch.

1. If a player opts out b4 the trip, leave them home. Remove them from player housing and meals. Ban them from fb facilities.
2. If they opt out the day of the game, don't take them to the game and don't let them on the plane to go home. Remove them from player housing and food plans.
Loyalty must be a 2 way street. These kids lives as stars have become gimmie, gimmie, gimmie.
4. If Franklin knew the outs all along, Kraft should fine him heavily for stiffing the fans.
Cool, when you are coach you can do all that. Good luck ever getting a top recruit ever again once players see how you treat them.

Fans should boycott any bowl that is not a playoff game.
I wouldn't have any issue going to see the team play in a non-playoff bowl game. Provided that the team actually make an effort to win the game. This crap that went on at the Peach Bowl was shameful. Never thought I'd see the day where Ole Miss was doing things the right way when compared to PSU.

General:

Summary
Excellent report and insight...thank u much. I have so many thoughts to bring up, since I agree with so much everything u said. One thing I will touch on is a great point you mentioned about KLS and the WR group; How they showed no physicality or fight. What an absolute embarrassment. And then, he and another WR go on twitter, sub-tweeting fans about being critical saying we shouldn't comment if we haven't played ball? The whole culture stuff is so fake and JF clearly hasn't figured out how to have a player led team that lasts multiple years. He needs to find players who lead and actually give a crap and won't stand for the WR's being lazy, and other guys not performing. Again, he runs a friendship camp, not a football team. And, it shows. Coach'em soft, they play and act soft.

I wouldn't have any issue going to see the team play in a non-playoff bowl game. Provided that the team actually make an effort to win the game. This crap that went on at the Peach Bowl was shameful. Never thought I'd see the day where Ole Miss was doing things the right way when compared to PSU.
They will do it again unless there is accountability for what happened with the Peach Bowl.

They're friends and they understand why he did it. No one's blaming him other than the fans apparently. And they probably have know since the beginning of the year that if we weren't in the playoff he was sitting out.

Reactions: 91Joe95

Cool, when you are coach you can do all that. Good luck ever getting a top recruit ever again once players see how you treat them.
These would have to be NCAA rules. And before you laugh…..the bowls and the networks will pressure them to do something. Huge dollars at risk here if people quit watching and going to bowls. This was not the only game heavily impacted by opt outs and portal transfers.

I don’t think all of these would be enacted. And certainly don’t know which would withstand the court challenges that would be sure to come as soon as the NCAA tries anything at all.

But something must change. Either rules improve the post season games or half the bowls will be gone in five years.

These would have to be NCAA rules. And before you laugh…..the bowls and the networks will pressure them to do something. Huge dollars at risk here if people quit watching and going to bowls. This was not the only game heavily impacted by opt outs and portal transfers.

I don’t think all of these would be enacted. And certainly don’t know which would withstand the court challenges that would be sure to come as soon as the NCAA tries anything at all.

But something must change. Either rules improve the post season games or half the bowls will be gone in five years.
Expand the playoff and create a G5 playoff. Everyone wins. Networks, fans and any decent program that doesn't look forward to 7 win seasons as a good year.

.... not sure why we tried to kick a 53 yard FG down by 14 with 4:20 left in the game. There is less than a 50% chance of making the kick and we'd still be kicking off with a two TD deficit (11 points). I know it was 4th and 16 but even a punt to try and limit their offense deep in their own territory would have been a better outcome at that point in the game IMHO.

^^^^
It is stuff like this that convinces me Franklin needs to make some changes. He is simply not capable of coaching at this level. He needs to recognize that about himself. He needs to do what he does well and defer everything else to those who can. Great leaders do this. They are not micromanagers. They surround themselves with the best and let them go.

Going forward, with college football "free agency," this will be the hardest thing -- the problem of keeping and attracting players and coaches. That is important and probably the only way Franklin could realistically earn his huge contract. Otherwise, as it stands today at PSU, an NC is virtually impossible. The ball would have to bounce our way to even be a part of the process. You just have to be smarter. No one is going to do it with just Jimmy and Joes. It's a real playoff now among better teams. The laws of statistics will identify a worthy champion.

It is what it is. The problem goes back to hiring Sandy Barbour, and the incompetence that followed that decision. Some people are really good at handing out other people's money. When you overpay someone you guarantee one thing: Loyalty. They won't cross you. But to others, such people won't leave when you wish they would. The administration made a decision about how it would protect itself from scrutiny after the Sandusky debacle. This is the fallout: A program that is respectable but limited, falling far short of its storied past.

Bill O'Brien was exactly what we needed when he was hired -- someone who might keep players from leaving and even attract some with NFL potential willing to forego the post season. But I don't think some people were straight with Bill, so when the NFL came knocking, it wasn't tough to go walking despite the relationships with players that he would leave behind.

With the loss of Bill I wanted Franklin. He was actually my first choice. We needed someone who could bring optimism and enthusiasm, to do what he did at Vanderbilt -- take a dead program and breathe life into it. But those pieces alone don't translate into being the best. They translate into not being the worst.

So, Franklin needs to change. If he remains unsuccessful, then he and the administration need to move on. The longer he stays without reaching the top, if they even care, then the harder it will become. That's just reality. People can move around now. More than ever, they will seek a place with positive momentum. College football has turned into a place where the rich will get richer, and vice versa. There is no enforced rebalancing of either people or money. Imagine what the NFL would be like if the players in the first round could choose their team, and the players who would be getting cut -- with no contract/money at all -- could choose their team as well.

LMAOROFL bending over when screwed is a poor strategy. I would rather have players with 80% of the skills and 100% loyalty and toughness. Kissing asses got Franklin into this mess.

General:

Summary
Yep. Your assessment/summery is very good , and I agree with virtually all . —- I’m also disgusted, and very disappointed in the kids that opted out. It’s easy to understand their choice…. Vested self interest……. And the vested self interest of the agent behind them. They don’t want to get injured, and I don’t blame them…….but neither do their teammates on the field.—Having played many team sports, and served in the military, I can identify qualities needed to be a valuable teammate and role model for both of those….and taking the day off ain’t one of them. —Taking out significant ( high dollar) “one week” Insurance policies would definitely assist in mitigating this….. and each players’ school should heavily assist in this, as they both reap the benefit .
—The expanded playoff should alleviate some of this, but the younger players need to leave college with deep working examples of character, integrity, loyalty, etc. - they’ll be exposed to a purely objective, cold business model ( vested self interest) soon enough.
—College football as it currently exists, is going in a bad direction.

Last edited:
Interesting takes on the value of college football experiences. I just started trying to map out a plan for next year.

1) one buddy wants to do @ USC. With flight and tix that is pretty much my budget

2) maybe see games at Army and South Carolina with same buddy instead

3) could get upper deck psu season ticket for the same $ and do day trips/ stay with friends in State College/sell off OSU and/or White Out to cover some costs

I'm planning to go to UW next year so a U$C trip this year makes less sense. If the NIL/Portal/$2mm 26 year old qb remains I will lose my appetite

Yep. Your assessment/summery is very good , and I agree with virtually all . —- I’m also disgusted, and very disappointed in the kids that opted out. It’s easy to understand their choice…. Vested self interest……. And the vested self interest of the agent behind them. They don’t want to get injured, and I don’t blame them…….but neither do their teammates on the field.—Having played many team sports, and served in the military, I can identify qualities needed to be a valuable teammate and role model for both of those….and taking the day off ain’t one of them. —Taking out significant ( high dollar) “one week” Insurance policies would definitely assist in mitigating this….. and each players’ school should heavily assist in this, as they both reap the benefit .
—The expanded playoff should alleviate some of this, but the younger players need to leave college with deep working examples of character, integrity, loyalty, etc. - they’ll be exposed to a purely objective, cold business model ( vested self interest) soon enough.
—College football as it currently exists, is going a bad direction.
What I don't understand about the late announcement on the opt-outs is the effect on the gamblers. Suddenly, right before game time the betting odds change. I am not a bettor but it doesn't seem fair that the odds change before the coin flip.

This was similar to the UM game. We started that game dominating the LOS on defense, especially Chop abusing UM's RT. After 2 possessions of that, UM adjusted and that was it, we never countered their adjustment and UM started consistently running with moderate success, kept the chains moving, game over.
And the game yesterday. Bama O-Line getting eaten alive by Mich interior pass rush. What happens? Saban adjusts at halftime and I would say should have won that game. Admittedly they did give up a crucial sack in OT but they seized control of that game by keeping the Mich pass rush neutralized. Elite or even very good to good coaches make the necessary adjustments to then force the opponent into more adjustments. If we had been Bama yesterday, Michigan would have continued the onslaught in the 2nd half as we would have made zero adjustments with Franklin gazing to the San Gabriel mountains with this blank, lost stare.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and 84Lion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT