ADVERTISEMENT

obli's observations: bowl game "coordinator by committee" version

Interesting takes on the value of college football experiences. I just started trying to map out a plan for next year.

1) one buddy wants to do @ USC. With flight and tix that is pretty much my budget

2) maybe see games at Army and South Carolina with same buddy instead

3) could get upper deck psu season ticket for the same $ and do day trips/ stay with friends in State College/sell off OSU and/or White Out to cover some costs

I'm planning to go to UW next year so a U$C trip this year makes less sense. If the NIL/Portal/$2mm 26 year old qb remains I will lose my appetite
I've got a friend who wants to go to WVu. I'd like to see USC in the Coliseum. I went to the Rose last year knowing it might be the last one that is a traditional rose bowl. I did the Peach partially because M-Benz is considered the "Cadillac" of football stadiums (sorry, couldn't resist). I think regular season games may be the way to go with the new playoff format. I really don't want to go see PSu play in a bowl if a) it isn't the CFP and b) 75 of the 85 kids are going to sit out.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
What I don't understand about the late announcement on the opt-outs is the effect on the gamblers. Suddenly, right before game time the betting odds change. I am not a bettor but it doesn't seem fair that the odds change before the coin flip.
... right...or, that you committed to spending $1,000+ and by the time the game rolls around you've got as much chance as Liberty against Oregon.

trust-me-dear-its-not-worth-it.gif

Reactions: Parkland Fan
What I don't understand about the late announcement on the opt-outs is the effect on the gamblers. Suddenly, right before game time the betting odds change. I am not a bettor but it doesn't seem fair that the odds change before the coin flip.
As someone that bets a lot (too much probably) I'm well-aware for bowl games that people won't be playing and I won't know that until right before kickoff. 10-15 years ago bowl season was very active for me. Now I stay away from 99% of those games. If I do bet it's usually over/under.

If we had been Bama yesterday, Michigan would have continued the onslaught in the 2nd half as we would have made zero adjustments with Franklin gazing to the San Gabriel mountains with this blank, lost stare.

Michigan did not sack Allar a single time this year. No need for the what if. It didn't occur.

Defensive adjustments (lack there of) killed us as well as ineffective offense.

Yep, I’m betting ( pun intended) , that Vegas is pissed. — Ironically, this may be why it gets fixed sooner rather than later.

I saw a pregame tweet with him and chop in street clothes. Maybe that was before or after you saw him.
Must have been before the game because they showed Olu talking to the OL on the bench at some point in the game after we had lost all momentum, so sometime in the 2nd half, and Olu was still in pads.

Reactions: Obliviax
LMAOROFL bending over when screwed is a poor strategy. I would rather have players with 80% of the skills and 100% loyalty and toughness. Kissing asses got Franklin into this mess.
You're welcome to your opinions. Just know that if Franklin were to do what you suggest under the current culture and rules of CFB, his recruiting rankings would plummet and we'd be fielding a team of 3 star talent, at best. Today over half of our players were 4 and 5 star recruits. The way the sport is currently set up the coaches essentially have to kiss the collective asses of the recruits and players, or the program will suffer. The players hold all the cards right now, they are getting paid and have the leverage to leave at any time, all while making no firm commitments to their respective schools and football programs. It's a completely one-sided arrangement right now and needs to change. I'm not against paying players and letting them transfer, but there has to be structure, time windows, contracts, etc. or the sport completely falls apart long term as the kids chase whatever benefits them the most individually. The players probably love these changes and don't care about sustainability because they will be long gone from CFP before the impact to the sport is realized.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
You're welcome to your opinions. Just know that if Franklin were to do what you suggest under the current culture and rules of CFB, his recruiting rankings would plummet and we'd be fielding a team of 3 star talent, at best. Today over half of our players were 4 and 5 star recruits. The way the sport is currently set up the coaches essentially have to kiss the collective asses of the recruits and players, or the program will suffer. The players hold all the cards right now, they are getting paid and have the leverage to leave at any time, all while making no firm commitments to their respective schools and football programs. It's a completely one-sided arrangement right now and needs to change. I'm not against paying players and letting them transfer, but there has to be structure, time windows, contracts, etc. or the sport completely falls apart long term as the kids chase whatever benefits them the most individually. The players probably love these changes and don't care about sustainability because they will be long gone from CFP before the impact to the sport is realized.
Unfortunately you are right. These elite players and recruits (4 and 5 stars) hold all the cards. Makes me sick that everyone needs to kiss their ass and the whole system is now ridiculously in their favor. If Franklin would make them play and not opt out they would first make it a PR nightmare for him by claiming he has no concern for their future then they would poison the recruiting pipeline.

There is a solve for this by just implementing some rules. They have to do something about the opt outs. For example, who in their right mind is going to travel to Orlando next year to watch a 9-3 PSU team ranked #15 with 5 key opt outs play a #16 SEC team with 4 losses and 4-5 opt outs? The bowl system is dead with the playoff. Just don't show up to these games.

NIL is a bigger nut to crack but again put some guidelines and rules in place to police it. A cap for starters. And for the love of God can you just move the transfer portal window opening back to the day after the NC game. I'm sure there is some stupid convoluted excuse on why that can't be done.

And for the love of God can you just move the transfer portal window opening back to the day after the NC game. I'm sure there is some stupid convoluted excuse on why that can't be done.
They won't do that because of the academic calendar. Transfers have to be all set up at their new schools in time for the start of the spring semester, because we pretend like they are still regular students. The academic calendar is an item that I view as completely fixed, so all timings for football games, transfers, LOI day, etc. have to revolve around that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkland Fan
I saw a pregame tweet with him and chop in street clothes. Maybe that was before or after you saw him.

The announcers actually showed video of him warming up with the position group pregame. Used it as an opportunity to praise him as a leader. Forget how they worded it but something along the lines of even though he’s not playing he’s still out there with his guys getting them ready iirc.

Reactions: lazydave841
For example, who in their right mind is going to travel to Orlando next year to watch a 9-3 PSU team ranked #15 with 5 key opt outs play a #16 SEC team with 4 losses and 4-5 opt outs? The bowl system is dead with the playoff. Just don't show up to these games.
It’s been that way. No change in my mind in the lower bowls. They are all for families, locals, and made for TV. Occasionally, fans will travel to a warm-weather destination for the holidays and make a vacation out of it.

Good to see a lot of people wising up to the scam that PSU is running these days. I gave up about 6 years ago as I could see it was all about the $$$. I will still watch on TV but that's about all I'm willing to commit. Way overpaid used car salesman coach. They just want your money.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
It’s been that way. No change in my mind in the lower bowls. They are all for families, locals, and made for TV. Occasionally, fans will travel to a warm-weather destination for the holidays and make a vacation out of it.
The upper decks for both the Citrus and whatever the old Outback Bowl in Tampa is appeared to be pretty much empty.

When we played in those games vs Auburn, Kentucky, and others it always seemed more full.

Times are a changin' ....

I haven't posted these this year but felt compelled to do so after having attended the bowl game. Sorry, it is late. Been a crazy week.

Overall, I felt that the absence of a DC and OC killed us more than the players. It looked like we stuck with the pregame plan no matter how the game played out. Why? My guess is that nobody had the authority to change it. It had to be changed "by committee" and that didn't happen. I've heard rumors that the banished OC wasn't taking recommendations from CJF and that is why he was fired mid-season. If that was the case, I am sure position coaches didn't want to look like they were crossing CJF in this game, even when the game dictated adjustments were needed. In defense of CJF, with LoI day, portals, looking for an OC and filling for a DC all within a few weeks was an impossible ask.

General:
  • Just a great venue. Mercedes Benz Stadium, or the "MBS" as the locals call it, is just phenomenal. This has been posted several times so won't get into game experience but it was really good. The stadium is easily the best I've attended. I hear SoFi and the Vegas stadiums are great but I haven't been there.
  • I had seats in the first row of the upper deck. Not having anyone in front is great but the view was really fantastic for watching plays develop. I was just above the PSU band. I bought the seats on Megaseats a few days before. I probably should have waited until the night before but didn't want these front row seats to get away.
  • The Ole Miss gals were the most attractive I've ever seen at a football game. Most were dressed up. Many wore white cowboy boots and short skirts (dallas cowboy cheerleader-ish). But many just wore high heeled boots with a skirt, dress or tight jeans. But most, even the older, were in good shape. I contrast this to most PSU gals that wore jeans or sweats with running shoes. I know, our academic standards are higher, amiright?
  • I am not a big fan of the ATL but the city is just right for these big events. We flew into ATL and checked into the AC Gateway hotel. There were a half dozen hotels there and it is off the first stop on the tram that takes you to the rental cars. So we could take the tram to the hotel, take it back to the airport and get on the MARTA. MARTA literally stopped at the basketball arena in the sports complex area. So we were at the stadium a half hour after walking out of our hotel: No parking, no traffic, no hassles. Friday night we watched a bowl game at Champions Sports bar while getting some bar food at the Marriott a block from the AC hotel. In the end, transportation was better, faster and more comfortable at almost no cost, parking, rental or hassle.
  • Our band members can really dance. Much better than the Ole Miss band.
  • I am not sure if people say it but Ole Miss had an assistant make up a burner X (twitter) account like it was a PSU reporter and reported that Kalen King said that PSU was going to hammer Ole Miss. It was exposed before the game, and admitted to by Kiffin, that this was done with his knowledge by a coaching staff member. I think that is really bush league and why a guy like Kiffin, an offensive genius, isn't coaching a blue blood program.

Our Defense with Ole Miss' offense
  • We were clearly undermanned with several blown coverages. We were better in the trenches. I know we started some young CBs but how can you NOT KNOW giving up inside leverage when you line up two yards from the OOBs line isn't ideal?
  • Giving credit where due, Dart was throwing dimes (see, I didn't say "dart") and the receivers (all of them) were catching everything. Their offense was very creative and very well-called. The quick toss, faked or real, would probably still be working today if we played the game for five days straight. The CB/S play seemed blind to the play.
  • Hardy, I read, played in all 85 defensive snaps. He had to be 100% gassed. Carter getting hurt killed us and he wasn't 100% starting the game. I much appreciate Carter and Hardy's effort.
  • We blitzed on every 3rd or 4th and long. It was the book. Often, we dropped a DE but no way in hell was Vanover going to be able to cover their TE or RB in the flat.
  • We were very unfortunate with two bang-bang plays that could have been early turnovers. I am not saying they were bad calls but had one or both gone our way, things may have been different. And a key PI penalty was BS. But, alas, such is referring in football these days.
  • Kiffen's use of tempo is the best in college football. I noticed that he would sub players in on offense when the play went out of bounds near the Ole Miss bench and the refs missed the sub in and PSU didn't have time to sub in to respond. This happened at least six times that I saw. How they execute that so fast in this detailed game situation is genius. And the refs are trying to run the clock, set the ball and too busy to notice. I think they started to notice late in the game as PSU started the "slow sub" game and the refs stopped Dart from initiating the offense but it was too late to effect the game.
Our Offense and Ole Miss' Defense
  • Again, coaching by committee killed us. It was clear that Singleton was on a mission and Ole Miss wasn't going to stop him. But the game plan called for a balanced offense. Despite running the ball down Ole Miss' throats, we went to the pass. Why? I have to believe nobody had the authority to go off script and thus, we played the game with the intention to follow the plan rather than win the game.
  • I have to believe that there is plenty of infighting on offense. Cephas didn't play a single snap. We didn't complete a pass to a WR until well into the 4th quarter. KLS disappeared. The first two completions to a WR were to Clifford and then he disappeared.
  • From my vantage, KLS was getting blown off of his routes. They were being physical with him and the QB couldn't depend on his route or cut. So he was a non-event. The other guys were getting no separation in "man" and seemed to hesitate against zone. They seemed like they were so concerned about the route that there was no physical effort.
  • Singleton was wide open all day when he was in there. The TEs were superior and played well. Theo was limited due to "opting out" and that hurt us in the second half when he played sparingly (if at all). Dinkins will be good but he's not there yet.
  • I like Pribula a lot but....if you watch closely, he almost drops the ball on his TD run when starting out and trying to tuck it away. Dang. And that gadget play to Allar was being set up all day and Beau threw it 16 yards too high. With some of his odd stumbles earlier in the season, he needs to learn to play within himself. I don't think the staff trusts him to be consistent and that is hurting the second QB package being used much.
  • Allar actually looked better. He had a couple of good runs and extended plays. But he is often inconsistent with accuracy. It is hard to say if it is the WR or him but I don't see that inconsistency when he's throwing to a TE or RB. So....assuming we don't lose too much in the portal, next year is all about getting the WRs engaged with this offense. I hear the noise about Allar but no pocket passer is going to be good unless he's got WRs engaged. And since he plays well with TEs and RBs, I have to assume the WR is the problem.
  • Having said that, not sure why we didn't run Beau more. And not sure whey we tried to kick a 53 yard FG down by 14 with 4:20 left in the game. There is less than a 50% chance of making the kick and we'd still be kicking off with a two TD deficit (11 points). I know it was 4th and 16 but even a punt to try and limit their offense deep in their own territory would have been a better outcome at that point in the game IMHO.
Summary
  • why so many opt-outs late? I get that the staff may have known about some but others were clearly a surprise. while some opt outs traveled and were on the sideline, one didn't make the trip. Why? Was there a fight?
  • While it is there right to opt out, I have come to the conclusion that it disgusts me. The teammate and fans invested a lot and they turned their back. It is there right. There are no rules against it. But there are lots of things in life that are "legal" but "not cool". I've lost respect for them, to be honest.
  • You spend a lot of time and resources to support the team and then have a have dozen kids not show up. So why support them in bowls? Next year, the CFP teams tickets will be $400 or more. I went this year thinking it was a NYD6 game that would keep the kid's interest and still be at a reasonable price. Next year, you'll have the CFP 12 and a bunch of weed eater/poptart bowls between directional texas university and another team that just moved up a division that will be attended by 15,000 fans (mostly family and students). Big deal.
  • If something doesn't change, I'll go to MAC games and will limit myself to watching major college football on TV. For three people, we probably spent $2,500 to $3,000 and that was on the cheap. (three round-trip flights, three-night hotel, three days of overpriced meals and three-days away from the rest of the family). It was fun. But I could have also spent a week at Snowbird in Utah or Key West.
We have a chairman of the board as a head coach, not an x's and o's guy and it shows at the wrong times.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and CJLion
I've got a friend who wants to go to WVu. I'd like to see USC in the Coliseum. I went to the Rose last year knowing it might be the last one that is a traditional rose bowl. I did the Peach partially because M-Benz is considered the "Cadillac" of football stadiums (sorry, couldn't resist). I think regular season games may be the way to go with the new playoff format. I really don't want to go see PSu play in a bowl if a) it isn't the CFP and b) 75 of the 85 kids are going to sit out.
Love the Cadillac reference.

I've been to USC a few times but never for a game. My son looked at it and then ended up renting a room in a fraternity house for a summer internship at Sony/Epic.

The campus is great and The Colesium parking lot is huge, but you'll be better to stay in more of a fun area and then Uber to the game. DTLA isn't far, but the surrounding area is not like most college towns. There is light rail that runs to Culver City so maybe stay in Venice or Santa Monica and take the train.

2 of my guys are now "Yes" votes for USC- I'm preferring hedging my bets for my options #2 or #3 or a combo thereof.

A work colleague played for WVU and he loved his visit to Happy Valley last year. Maybe I can work out a trade w him- I take him to PSU vs OSU in exchange for him taking me to WVU. He is younger than me and a big dude- and from what I'm told it may be better to be in Morgantown with a Hoopie! :)

My one buddy just retired and is very hyped to travel.....but his budgetary restraints are pretty much non existent. It is fun to shop and plan. I don't mind having to stick to a budget. It keeps me married and eliminates arguments. I went to the 94 Rose Bowl- which is my only PSU Bowl game. Doubt there will he another.

On Saturday after the game I took down my PSU flag and brought in the 2 State garden flags by my grill for Winter- but it always is football season.

We'll see what pans out. That is part of the joy of attending a school like PSU.

They won't do that because of the academic calendar. Transfers have to be all set up at their new schools in time for the start of the spring semester, because we pretend like they are still regular students. The academic calendar is an item that I view as completely fixed, so all timings for football games, transfers, LOI day, etc. have to revolve around that.
Yeah like these guys are real students. You could make them finish the academic year at their current school and start in the summer at the new school. Yep they would need to miss the Spring ball at the new school but that is the rule. They also can't announce their intention until after the NC game so they need to play with their current team until that date. They could drop out of their current school, too late to enroll in the new school but use their NIL money to hire their own trainer and train until the summer. These guys have everything tailored made for them, make them think twice before just bolting wherever. I forgot, these guys need to get to the other school and start there for the 2nd semester academic year due to the new school having a better academic major than their current school. LOL.

Love the Cadillac reference.

I've been to USC a few times but never for a game. My son looked at it and then ended up renting a room in a fraternity house for a summer internship at Sony/Epic.

The campus is great and The Colesium parking lot is huge, but you'll be better to stay in more of a fun area and then Uber to the game. DTLA isn't far, but the surrounding area is not like most college towns. There is light rail that runs to Culver City so maybe stay in Venice or Santa Monica and take the train.

2 of my guys are now "Yes" votes for USC- I'm preferring hedging my bets for my options #2 or #3 or a combo thereof.

A work colleague played for WVU and he loved his visit to Happy Valley last year. Maybe I can work out a trade w him- I take him to PSU vs OSU in exchange for him taking me to WVU. He is younger than me and a big dude- and from what I'm told it may be better to be in Morgantown with a Hoopie! :)

My one buddy just retired and is very hyped to travel.....but his budgetary restraints are pretty much non existent. It is fun to shop and plan. I don't mind having to stick to a budget. It keeps me married and eliminates arguments. I went to the 94 Rose Bowl- which is my only PSU Bowl game. Doubt there will he another.

On Saturday after the game I took down my PSU flag and brought in the 2 State garden flags by my grill for Winter- but it always is football season.

We'll see what pans out. That is part of the joy of attending a school like PSU.
Yep, don't want to stay near the USC campus. Santa Monica could be a good call.

The upper decks for both the Citrus and whatever the old Outback Bowl in Tampa is appeared to be pretty much empty.

When we played in those games vs Auburn, Kentucky, and others it always seemed more full.

Times are a changin' ....
I went to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl and Fiesta Bowls. Both were VERY lightly attended.

I love going to local games and seeing other teams and their traditions. We have renewable tix for the GRB because they are very reasonable.

I gave up my renewable Fiesta tix because the matchups usually sucked. Tix for this game got as low as $43 for lower level 5* seats and even then, the place was empty. Tough to see when face start at about $150 for those seats.

I went to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl and Fiesta Bowls. Both were VERY lightly attended.

I love going to local games and seeing other teams and their traditions. We have renewable tix for the GRB because they are very reasonable.

I gave up my renewable Fiesta tix because the matchups usually sucked. Tix for this game got as low as $43 for lower level 5* seats and even then, the place was empty. Tough to see when face start at about $150 for those seats.
Really, the Fiesta Bowl was an awful game with Liberty and Oregon. Crazy bad. I think college football just kind of flushed this year knowing next year will have 11 games. We'll have four play-in games at the higher-ranked team's stadium. (this year, we would have played at tOSU). Then we'll have the Fiesta, Peach, Rose, and Sugar for the quarterfinals. Cotton and Orange for the Semifinals. With the championship being played in Houston.

All the other bowls are kind of screwed but they were anyway.

Fans should boycott any bowl that is not a playoff game. Money (the loss of it) talks to those in power. A message must been sent. I will add that the media should question Kraft & Franklin about why the opt outs (other than Chop & Dixon) were hidden from fans until the day before and day of the game. There needs to be accountability.

Maybe bowls should start offering their own NIL beyond their swag bag to the players to play in the game. I can't think of a legal reason why they couldn't do it or "coordinate" with another entity.

^^^^
It is stuff like this that convinces me Franklin needs to make some changes. He is simply not capable of coaching at this level. He needs to recognize that about himself. He needs to do what he does well and defer everything else to those who can. Great leaders do this. They are not micromanagers. They surround themselves with the best and let them go.

Going forward, with college football "free agency," this will be the hardest thing -- the problem of keeping and attracting players and coaches. That is important and probably the only way Franklin could realistically earn his huge contract. Otherwise, as it stands today at PSU, an NC is virtually impossible. The ball would have to bounce our way to even be a part of the process. You just have to be smarter. No one is going to do it with just Jimmy and Joes. It's a real playoff now among better teams. The laws of statistics will identify a worthy champion.

It is what it is. The problem goes back to hiring Sandy Barbour, and the incompetence that followed that decision. Some people are really good at handing out other people's money. When you overpay someone you guarantee one thing: Loyalty. They won't cross you. But to others, such people won't leave when you wish they would. The administration made a decision about how it would protect itself from scrutiny after the Sandusky debacle. This is the fallout: A program that is respectable but limited, falling far short of its storied past.

Bill O'Brien was exactly what we needed when he was hired -- someone who might keep players from leaving and even attract some with NFL potential willing to forego the post season. But I don't think some people were straight with Bill, so when the NFL came knocking, it wasn't tough to go walking despite the relationships with players that he would leave behind.

With the loss of Bill I wanted Franklin. He was actually my first choice. We needed someone who could bring optimism and enthusiasm, to do what he did at Vanderbilt -- take a dead program and breathe life into it. But those pieces alone don't translate into being the best. They translate into not being the worst.

So, Franklin needs to change. If he remains unsuccessful, then he and the administration need to move on. The longer he stays without reaching the top, if they even care, then the harder it will become. That's just reality. People can move around now. More than ever, they will seek a place with positive momentum. College football has turned into a place where the rich will get richer, and vice versa. There is no enforced rebalancing of either people or money. Imagine what the NFL would be like if the players in the first round could choose their team, and the players who would be getting cut -- with no contract/money at all -- could choose their team as well.
This is a good post, but I believe that CJF has been here long enough for us to know that he is what he is. He ain’t changing at this point. The ceiling has been reached with him.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Really, the Fiesta Bowl was an awful game with Liberty and Oregon. Crazy bad. I think college football just kind of flushed this year knowing next year will have 11 games. We'll have four play-in games at the higher-ranked team's stadium. (this year, we would have played at tOSU). Then we'll have the Fiesta, Peach, Rose, and Sugar for the quarterfinals. Cotton and Orange for the Semifinals. With the championship being played in Houston.

All the other bowls are kind of screwed but they were anyway.
Agree. Playoff expansion came just in time for the NY6 games. Four of the six were getting screwed every year in this model by a combination of matchups and opt outs. And this year was the low point- led by the FSU debacle and Liberty getting in.

To be fair to the G5 participants, they have a 4-6 record against the P5 teams they played in NY6 bowls during the playoff era, but that has to be due largely to motivation.

Great insights and post.

I agree on the opt outs and feel bad for you shelling out that kind of money and time to watch a shell of the team we had. If I had gone to this game I would have felt totally duped. All excited to see a good game, New Years 6 bowl game, SEC opponent and then you get that.

I want to make a point though with the opt outs and the team's performance. I contend that even with the opt outs we should not have looked that bad particularly in the secondary. I watched the coach Codutti (sp?) film show breakdown and it was blown coverage after blown coverage. I realize these guys are young and inexperienced but c'mon man, Dart did anything he wanted. I think their last TD he coined the easiest one in Peach Bowl history. The back leaks out uncovered and a dump/lob pass of five yards right up the middle. It was like we had five guys out there not eleven.

You nailed it. No adjustments, nada. Really?? Kiffin adjusted after the first series and just took us to the woodshed. I am not saying we should have won but we should not have been behind 38-17 with 6 minutes left or whatever it was. So the in-game adjustments were non existent but why were these guys not more prepared? Are they just not very good? Not a good look for those interim coordinators and you could be right that was the difference. They were over their head.

I have to mention the Carter injury threw us for a loop. Now we have no speed in the middle and no playmaker so that just compounded our issues.

Then the complete invisibility of the WRs is pathetic. I mean they can't get open at all? Literally never, until we are 3 scores behind and the defensive dynamic changes. How can Penn State recruit 4 star receivers and they are incapable of making any catches? What a complete embarrassment. You have to look at the QB for some of this.

This leads me to the elephant in the room. Do we have a dud at QB? There is not one Penn State football fan who feels better about the QB position than on Sept 2? We have gone from we have the Savior who will be awesome for us to at this point just give us Clifford back. Pribula is not the answer. He is a change of pace guy. By the way could that trick play where he throws it behind Allar and 3 yards over his head out of bounds to lose 12 yards be a worse play? Wow was that bad when we could have done some damage there and gotten back in the game.
That I believe is the largest concern of many. Was yurchik ineffective, or was he handcuffed with a sub optimal qb

Agree. Playoff expansion came just in time for the NY6 games. Four of the six were getting screwed every year in this model by a combination of matchups and opt outs. And this year was the low point- led by the FSU debacle and Liberty getting in.

To be fair to the G5 participants, they have a 4-6 record against the P5 teams they played in NY6 bowls during the playoff era, but that has to be due largely to motivation.
Yep. One thing I've noticed is motivation. I look at tOSU, for example. They simply didn't want to be there. They wanted to be in the playoff. Lots of guys left others simply didn't care. Missouri, on the other hand, was happy to be in a NYD6 to get an opportunity to show their talents. So they showed up and played hard. Ole Miss was the same. They wanted to be in the Peach but PSU didn't want to be there. Not everyone, but clearly we were down six or so kids. That had to permeate through the team. In the end, you have to be motivated. Not thinking about if they should go into the portal or how to optimize NIL isn't the where your head needs to be going up against a good opponent.

Yep. One thing I've noticed is motivation. I look at tOSU, for example. They simply didn't want to be there. They wanted to be in the playoff. Lots of guys left others simply didn't care. Missouri, on the other hand, was happy to be in a NYD6 to get an opportunity to show their talents. So they showed up and played hard. Ole Miss was the same. They wanted to be in the Peach but PSU didn't want to be there. Not everyone, but clearly we were down six or so kids. That had to permeate through the team. In the end, you have to be motivated. Not thinking about if they should go into the portal or how to optimize NIL isn't the where your head needs to be going up against a good opponent.
Motivation is instilled by the coach. Maybe Franklin is too nice. I liked coach Bob's method better. If you don't expect loyalty and punish disloyalty, you will never get it. Wanna bet the guys who opted out are still using team facilities. Make all scholarships legal contracts. When you quit participating, all team services and payments are terminated. Rent accrues on your dormitory. You buy your own meals. You are locked out of all AD scholarship facilities. College football needs a major wakeup call, starting with the vastly overpaid coaching staff.

I lightly followed the buzz leading up to the Peach Bowl but naively figured the Vegas line would sort out any significant changes.

Clearly that was wrong and how opt out information was orchestrated is a big issue.
Thos year is a fulcrum for the sport. From Brian Kelly saying that LSU will be more forthcoming with injury reports due to betting/fantasy/legal?/ requirements to the shitshows of the bowl games it just shows how out of control things are.

That Vegas got duped is shocking.

Motivation is instilled by the coach. Maybe Franklin is too nice. I liked coach Bob's method better. If you don't expect loyalty and punish disloyalty, you will never get it. Wanna bet the guys who opted out are still using team facilities. Make all scholarships legal contracts. When you quit participating, all team services and payments are terminated. Rent accrues on your dormitory. You buy your own meals. You are locked out of all AD scholarship facilities. College football needs a major wakeup call, starting with the vastly overpaid coaching staff.
As an old-schooler, I agree. But with the portal and NIL, we are seeing a shift from a coaching-led sport to a player-led sport. If the player doesn't like the coach or program, they just leave. we are now seeing kids in their third program who think nothing of playing for a new program every year. we also have to keep in mind that these are kids who often don't get great guidance from parents, friends, and leaches agents. These kids have no long-term vision and make rash emotional decisions. Look at the QB leaving tOSU. My God, how in the world does he think Syracuse is a better opportunity for a one-season player both in terms of college experience and a launching pad to the NFL? It is crazy...and this is a sophisticated kid who grew up in the program and stayed for an entire year that featured no less than four premier games (ND, PSU, Michigan, and the Bowl).

Coaches can certainly be influential but less than five years ago before the portal.

I lightly followed the buzz leading up to the Peach Bowl but naively figured the Vegas line would sort out any significant changes.

Clearly that was wrong and how opt out information was orchestrated is a big issue.
Thos year is a fulcrum for the sport. From Brian Kelly saying that LSU will be more forthcoming with injury reports due to betting/fantasy/legal?/ requirements to the shitshows of the bowl games it just shows how out of control things are.

That Vegas got duped is shocking.
Yep. Betters still haven't figured out that the NFL is not the same as college football. CJF has become uber secretive with even the closest insiders not knowing who will play until hours before the game. One of two things happened. A) CJF knew a ton of kids wouldn't play but wanted Ole Miss to be in the dark or B) CJF was surprised shortly before the game that players were not going to play. It is probably a combination of both A and B.

I haven't posted these this year but felt compelled to do so after having attended the bowl game. Sorry, it is late. Been a crazy week.

Overall, I felt that the absence of a DC and OC killed us more than the players. It looked like we stuck with the pregame plan no matter how the game played out. Why? My guess is that nobody had the authority to change it. It had to be changed "by committee" and that didn't happen. I've heard rumors that the banished OC wasn't taking recommendations from CJF and that is why he was fired mid-season. If that was the case, I am sure position coaches didn't want to look like they were crossing CJF in this game, even when the game dictated adjustments were needed. In defense of CJF, with LoI day, portals, looking for an OC and filling for a DC all within a few weeks was an impossible ask.

General:
  • Just a great venue. Mercedes Benz Stadium, or the "MBS" as the locals call it, is just phenomenal. This has been posted several times so won't get into game experience but it was really good. The stadium is easily the best I've attended. I hear SoFi and the Vegas stadiums are great but I haven't been there.
  • I had seats in the first row of the upper deck. Not having anyone in front is great but the view was really fantastic for watching plays develop. I was just above the PSU band. I bought the seats on Megaseats a few days before. I probably should have waited until the night before but didn't want these front row seats to get away.
  • The Ole Miss gals were the most attractive I've ever seen at a football game. Most were dressed up. Many wore white cowboy boots and short skirts (dallas cowboy cheerleader-ish). But many just wore high heeled boots with a skirt, dress or tight jeans. But most, even the older, were in good shape. I contrast this to most PSU gals that wore jeans or sweats with running shoes. I know, our academic standards are higher, amiright?
  • I am not a big fan of the ATL but the city is just right for these big events. We flew into ATL and checked into the AC Gateway hotel. There were a half dozen hotels there and it is off the first stop on the tram that takes you to the rental cars. So we could take the tram to the hotel, take it back to the airport and get on the MARTA. MARTA literally stopped at the basketball arena in the sports complex area. So we were at the stadium a half hour after walking out of our hotel: No parking, no traffic, no hassles. Friday night we watched a bowl game at Champions Sports bar while getting some bar food at the Marriott a block from the AC hotel. In the end, transportation was better, faster and more comfortable at almost no cost, parking, rental or hassle.
  • Our band members can really dance. Much better than the Ole Miss band.
  • I am not sure if people say it but Ole Miss had an assistant make up a burner X (twitter) account like it was a PSU reporter and reported that Kalen King said that PSU was going to hammer Ole Miss. It was exposed before the game, and admitted to by Kiffin, that this was done with his knowledge by a coaching staff member. I think that is really bush league and why a guy like Kiffin, an offensive genius, isn't coaching a blue blood program.

Our Defense with Ole Miss' offense
  • We were clearly undermanned with several blown coverages. We were better in the trenches. I know we started some young CBs but how can you NOT KNOW giving up inside leverage when you line up two yards from the OOBs line isn't ideal?
  • Giving credit where due, Dart was throwing dimes (see, I didn't say "dart") and the receivers (all of them) were catching everything. Their offense was very creative and very well-called. The quick toss, faked or real, would probably still be working today if we played the game for five days straight. The CB/S play seemed blind to the play.
  • Hardy, I read, played in all 85 defensive snaps. He had to be 100% gassed. Carter getting hurt killed us and he wasn't 100% starting the game. I much appreciate Carter and Hardy's effort.
  • We blitzed on every 3rd or 4th and long. It was the book. Often, we dropped a DE but no way in hell was Vanover going to be able to cover their TE or RB in the flat.
  • We were very unfortunate with two bang-bang plays that could have been early turnovers. I am not saying they were bad calls but had one or both gone our way, things may have been different. And a key PI penalty was BS. But, alas, such is referring in football these days.
  • Kiffen's use of tempo is the best in college football. I noticed that he would sub players in on offense when the play went out of bounds near the Ole Miss bench and the refs missed the sub in and PSU didn't have time to sub in to respond. This happened at least six times that I saw. How they execute that so fast in this detailed game situation is genius. And the refs are trying to run the clock, set the ball and too busy to notice. I think they started to notice late in the game as PSU started the "slow sub" game and the refs stopped Dart from initiating the offense but it was too late to effect the game.
Our Offense and Ole Miss' Defense
  • Again, coaching by committee killed us. It was clear that Singleton was on a mission and Ole Miss wasn't going to stop him. But the game plan called for a balanced offense. Despite running the ball down Ole Miss' throats, we went to the pass. Why? I have to believe nobody had the authority to go off script and thus, we played the game with the intention to follow the plan rather than win the game.
  • I have to believe that there is plenty of infighting on offense. Cephas didn't play a single snap. We didn't complete a pass to a WR until well into the 4th quarter. KLS disappeared. The first two completions to a WR were to Clifford and then he disappeared.
  • From my vantage, KLS was getting blown off of his routes. They were being physical with him and the QB couldn't depend on his route or cut. So he was a non-event. The other guys were getting no separation in "man" and seemed to hesitate against zone. They seemed like they were so concerned about the route that there was no physical effort.
  • Singleton was wide open all day when he was in there. The TEs were superior and played well. Theo was limited due to "opting out" and that hurt us in the second half when he played sparingly (if at all). Dinkins will be good but he's not there yet.
  • I like Pribula a lot but....if you watch closely, he almost drops the ball on his TD run when starting out and trying to tuck it away. Dang. And that gadget play to Allar was being set up all day and Beau threw it 16 yards too high. With some of his odd stumbles earlier in the season, he needs to learn to play within himself. I don't think the staff trusts him to be consistent and that is hurting the second QB package being used much.
  • Allar actually looked better. He had a couple of good runs and extended plays. But he is often inconsistent with accuracy. It is hard to say if it is the WR or him but I don't see that inconsistency when he's throwing to a TE or RB. So....assuming we don't lose too much in the portal, next year is all about getting the WRs engaged with this offense. I hear the noise about Allar but no pocket passer is going to be good unless he's got WRs engaged. And since he plays well with TEs and RBs, I have to assume the WR is the problem.
  • Having said that, not sure why we didn't run Beau more. And not sure whey we tried to kick a 53 yard FG down by 14 with 4:20 left in the game. There is less than a 50% chance of making the kick and we'd still be kicking off with a two TD deficit (11 points). I know it was 4th and 16 but even a punt to try and limit their offense deep in their own territory would have been a better outcome at that point in the game IMHO.
Summary
  • why so many opt-outs late? I get that the staff may have known about some but others were clearly a surprise. while some opt outs traveled and were on the sideline, one didn't make the trip. Why? Was there a fight?
  • While it is there right to opt out, I have come to the conclusion that it disgusts me. The teammate and fans invested a lot and they turned their back. It is there right. There are no rules against it. But there are lots of things in life that are "legal" but "not cool". I've lost respect for them, to be honest.
  • You spend a lot of time and resources to support the team and then have a have dozen kids not show up. So why support them in bowls? Next year, the CFP teams tickets will be $400 or more. I went this year thinking it was a NYD6 game that would keep the kid's interest and still be at a reasonable price. Next year, you'll have the CFP 12 and a bunch of weed eater/poptart bowls between directional texas university and another team that just moved up a division that will be attended by 15,000 fans (mostly family and students). Big deal.
  • If something doesn't change, I'll go to MAC games and will limit myself to watching major college football on TV. For three people, we probably spent $2,500 to $3,000 and that was on the cheap. (three round-trip flights, three-night hotel, three days of overpriced meals and three-days away from the rest of the family). It was fun. But I could have also spent a week at Snowbird in Utah or Key West.
Great post. As far as what is happening today with the game..and stating the obvious money has changed everything. From players opting out to protect their future to Coaches /Bowl organizations trying to keep hyping Bowls to keep viewership , ticket sales and advertisers overall happy..its a money game. But...something needs to be done as many of the fans..will slowly lose interest in the game we have always loved. A lot has been said about Franklin as well...I'm not sure where I stand with him. He does try and give everyone the best picture possible of what's happening with the program..its his job..and seems to be doing things the right way ie graduation , players staying out of trouble , sportsmanship etc. But even with a new extended 12 team playoff..winning a Natty will be increasingly difficult ..no matter who your coach is. Washington has almost defied all odds but..they were able to get an elite QB who turned their program around. Oregon did the same. And its taken Michigan a while but...they have found their answer. I guess what I'm getting to..is that again money and resources have changed the game forever...and expecting a Natty for the Lions may not be in our future until we find a few players who are true game changers..certainly on the offensive side of the ball...I will not be going to any Bowl games again..too much money spent watching while knowing full team is not playing...like in the old days going to a Bulls game...knowing Jordan and Pippen were not playing...

Yep. Betters still haven't figured out that the NFL is not the same as college football. CJF has become uber secretive with even the closest insiders not knowing who will play until hours before the game. One of two things happened. A) CJF knew a ton of kids wouldn't play but wanted Ole Miss to be in the dark or B) CJF was surprised shortly before the game that players were not going to play. It is probably a combination of both A and B.
All of our suggestions, holding back of donations, good intentions and bowl travel boycotts may not have the Washington lobbying impact that casinos losing money based onlack of information may have.

Things simply need to change. Genie is way too far outside of the bottle. The charade of "Student Athlete" and broken "Rules" regarding things like "illegal" in person scouting schemes orchstrated by big donors and executed by paid coaching staffers don't seem to matter.

Hell- in the old days a college kid would be happy to spend an all expense paid Winter week in Orlando and then play a football game that is nationally broadcast.

Now, kids like the Ole Miss Juco WR or the Nebby QB can buy a condo in Orlando, and set aside future association fees and taxes for life before taking a snap.

A parody of the old Phi Slamma Jamma gunner Benny "The Jet" Anders quote who opined about the value of a college degree vs a basketball experience : "If you can't play, why stay?"

Today's NIL slogan is "If it don't pay, why play?" I get not wanting to get injured like Clemson's Will Shipley. If you follow the money things usually fall in line.

Charlie Baker is neck deep in shit. Time to start shoveling......

All of our suggestions, holding back of donations, good intentions and bowl travel boycotts may not have the Washington lobbying impact that casinos losing money based onlack of information may have.

Things simply need to change. Genie is way too far outside of the bottle. The charade of "Student Athlete" and broken "Rules" regarding things like "illegal" in person scouting schemes orchstrated by big donors and executed by paid coaching staffers don't seem to matter.

Hell- in the old days a college kid would be happy to spend an all expense paid Winter week in Orlando and then play a football game that is nationally broadcast.

Now, kids like the Ole Miss Juco WR or the Nebby QB can buy a condo in Orlando, and set aside future association fees and taxes for life before taking a snap.

A parody of the old Phi Slamma Jamma gunner Benny "The Jet" Anders quote who opined about the value of a college degree vs a basketball experience : "If you can't play, why stay?"

Today's NIL slogan is "If it don't pay, why play?" I get not wanting to get injured like Clemson's Will Shipley. If you follow the money things usually fall in line.

Charlie Baker is neck deep in shit. Time to start shoveling......
Certainly lots of issues to deal with but viewership is at all-time highs. Even the crap bowl games are drawing viewers. So the results are still good even with all of these issues.

As an old-schooler, I agree. But with the portal and NIL, we are seeing a shift from a coaching-led sport to a player-led sport. If the player doesn't like the coach or program, they just leave. we are now seeing kids in their third program who think nothing of playing for a new program every year. we also have to keep in mind that these are kids who often don't get great guidance from parents, friends, and leaches agents. These kids have no long-term vision and make rash emotional decisions. Look at the QB leaving tOSU. My God, how in the world does he think Syracuse is a better opportunity for a one-season player both in terms of college experience and a launching pad to the NFL? It is crazy...and this is a sophisticated kid who grew up in the program and stayed for an entire year that featured no less than four premier games (ND, PSU, Michigan, and the Bowl).

Coaches can certainly be influential but less than five years ago before the portal.
True, but if you can't commit to the boundaries of a contract, I'ld rather work with less talented but more committed kids. IMHO for every self centered kid who does not want to commit, you have someone just as talented who wants a team where team mates can be counted on.
IMHO, it takes balls to sit out the bowl game and then come back and use FB facilities to prepare for the NFL.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
True, but if you can't commit to the boundaries of a contract, I'ld rather work with less talented but more committed kids. IMHO for every self centered kid who does not want to commit, you have someone just as talented who wants a team where team mates can be counted on.
IMHO, it takes balls to sit out the bowl game and then come back and use FB facilities to prepare for the NFL.
well, the contract is to get a 'ship to play. If the kid no longer needs the 'ship, he doesn't have to play. My company pays me for work I did, not work I am going to do. These kids hold all the cards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT