ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread 2024 Big Ten Tournament match, PBP, and discussion thread

I disagree....I have never seen a PSU wrestler wrestle at the pace of MM. Not to say those all time great wrestlers weren't aggressive and total beasts. But Mitchell takes it to a new level and he is a RS Freshman. His finals match will be a true test, and I expect him to keep it up and prevail.
Don't forget Matt Brown would wear guys down by his constant pressure . More upper body and neck hammering instead of leg attack like Mitch.

why does Ohio State use two different uniforms in same tourney?
I know.......one of those juvenile gimmicks that makes no difference to their performance and just makes it harder for the fans to follow.

I think a few other unsuccessful teams do this.....I saw a few different Rutgers and MSU unis.

So will Mitchell slow down his pace even a tad vs Hamiti or is that just not in his DNA?

MM is a classic "chain-wrestler" - much like the Magic Man. Often times, the first attack generates a response that gets other wrestler out of position and it's the 2nd or even 3rd move that gets TD. I doubt he will change for Hamiti - that constant pressure is extremely hard to deal with defensively.... once MM gets you moving, you're in trouble because he's going to chain 2, 3 or even 4 attacks.

The 9 Penn State wrestlers (that wrestled) went a total of 20-2 today. The two losses to the #1 ranked wrestler both by a TD. Not bad.

Match points scored:
Davis: 24-10
Nagao: 18-9
Bartlett: 9-6
Kasak: 10-6 (fall in 1st up 7-0)
Haines: 17-0
MM: 36-9 (fall in 3rd up 13-2)
Traux: 30-5
Brooks: 33-5
Kirk: 24-0

Total match points: 201-50 (I think this is correct, is late)

Last edited:
MM is a classic "chain-wrestler" - much like the Magic Man. Often times, the first attack generates a response that gets other wrestler out of position and it's the 2nd or even 3rd move that gets TD. I doubt he will change for Hamiti - that constant pressure is extremely hard to deal with defensively.... once MM gets you moving, you're in trouble because he's going to chain 2, 3 or even 4 attacks.
very good analysis...spot on

Reactions: mhlarch
A used nose plug on his back seems to get MM out of sorts………..if you happened to catch it

The 9 Penn State wrestlers (that wrestled) went a total of 20-2 today. The two losses to the #1 ranked wrestler both by a TD. Not bad.

Match points scored:

Bernie showing March Bernie. I was among those that were a little worried about him. I’m glad those that had more faith in him were rewarded.

Reactions: diggerpup
This is so disrespectful to MM lol
Just so you understand, I wasn't comparing skill level. Brown was able to win a title being on small size (height) and not having big array of offense. He would outwork and wear out his opponent.
I was trying to think of another PSU wrestler that put effort in every second on his opponent.

The difference in philosophy:

Starocci gets an injury and defaults.

Griffith gets an injury and watch them run him out there tomorrow.

Some people think Big picture and some don't. How's that working out for you Michigan?

Reactions: Ski
A couple of thoughts from today.
I listened to Byers in AM round and watched on Big 10 +. Did anyone hear or see if Cunningham was at Bigs or did he stay to watch his son win State Title. I saw him in semi's I think in Tyler's match. He had an outdoor vest on over his sweatshirt. I was wondering if he had just arrived. ???? Just curious.
My wrestling strategy tidbit, was during Kasak match. It was the 2nd time that coaches chose to have Tyler go neutral against Lovette in 3rd period this year. Does that reflect on coaching staff respect for Lovette top ability or concerns about Tyler's bottom ability. Or a little of both?

Match points scored:

I haven
I know.......one of those juvenile gimmicks that makes no difference to their performance and just makes it harder for the fans to follow.

I think a few other unsuccessful teams do this.....I saw a few different Rutgers and MSU unis.
I haven't see the scores for Arron and Kerk, mAybe I idded the,. Can some

Match points scored:

Must have missed it, Can someone give the scores for Truax, Brooks & Kerk?
Thanks

I listened to Byers in AM round and watched on Big 10 +. Did anyone hear or see if Cunningham was at Bigs or did he stay to watch his son win State Title. I saw him in semi's I think in Tyler's match. He had an outdoor vest on over his sweatshirt. I was wondering if he had just arrived. ???? Just curious.
My wrestling strategy tidbit, was during Kasak match. It was the 2nd time that coaches chose to have Tyler go neutral against Lovette in 3rd period this year. Does that reflect on coaching staff respect for Lovette top ability or concerns about Tyler's bottom ability. Or a little of both?
Cunningham was in the corner during semi final matches

Ok. You’re right. Let’s move on.
Funniest part of all of this is that Brands didn’t yell a ton, but Sean Bormet, KJ and Mark Manning all screamed and whined about the call. It appears that the entire college wrestling landscape is tired of getting its ass kicked

Reactions: Hotshoe
I did not see CC until after his son won and was thinking maybe he choppered from Hershey to CP. That would be what a 20 minute flight?

I did not see CC until after his son won and was thinking maybe he choppered from Hershey to CP. That would be what a 20 minute flight?
Not possible to get there in 20 minutes by chopper. It would take a solid hour. College Park from Hershey is 120 miles. PIAA finals started at 4. Asher might have been done by 5:30. B1G semis started at like 7:20, and driving by car is a little under 2 hours. He could have done either one, but since he manages 165-Hwt, I'm thinking he drove. No rush on his part to get there for 125 when those aren't his guys.

WTF happened overnight... Hoping it's not true.

Don't really feel like starting another thread at this point. If you want to, feel free.

If you have questions about brackets or team standings/points, click here: https://pennstatewrestlingclub.org/
If you have questions about mat assignments, click here: https://bubbaland.net/wrestling/Big_Ten_Wrestling_Championships_2024.htm

Here are today's matches:

Consi semi's start at Noon EDT on BTN+.

Cons Semis133#5 Aaron Nagao#7 Braxton Brown (MD)[Cons Semis] 133 — #5 Aaron Nagao vs #7 Braxton Brown (MD) - Mat TBD
Cons Semis149#4 Tyler Kasak#3 Caleb Rathjen (IOWA)[Cons Semis] 149 — #4 Tyler Kasak vs #3 Caleb Rathjen (IOWA) - Mat TBD

The Finals, 3rd and 5th place matches start at 4:30 pm on BTN.

Championship125#6 Braeden Davis (PSU)#4 Patrick McKee (MINN)[Championship] 125 — #6 Braeden Davis (PSU) vs #4 Patrick McKee (MINN) - Mat TBD
Championship133#1 Dylan Ragusin (MICH)#2 Dylan Shawver (RUT)[Championship] 133 — #1 Dylan Ragusin (MICH) vs #2 Dylan Shawver (RUT) - Mat TBD
Championship141#1 Beau Bartlett (PSU)#2 Jesse Mendez (OSU)
[Championship] 141 — #1 Beau Bartlett (PSU) vs #2 Jesse Mendez (OSU) - Mat TBD
Championship149#1 Ridge Lovett (NEB)#2 Austin Gomez (MICH)
[Championship] 149 — #1 Ridge Lovett (NEB) vs #2 Austin Gomez (MICH) - Mat TBD
Championship157#1 Levi Haines (PSU)#7 Will Lewan (MICH)
[Championship] 157 — #1 Levi Haines (PSU) vs #7 Will Lewan (MICH) - Mat TBD
Championship165#2 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU)#1 Dean Hamiti (WIS)
[Championship] 165 — #2 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU) vs #1 Dean Hamiti (WIS) - Mat TBD
Championship174#2 Shane Griffith (MICH)#4 Edmond Ruth (ILL)
[Championship] 174 — #2 Shane Griffith (MICH) vs #4 Edmond Ruth (ILL) - Mat TBD
Championship184#3 Bernie Truax (PSU)#1 Isaiah Salazar (MINN)
[Championship] 184 — #3 Bernie Truax (PSU) vs #1 Isaiah Salazar (MINN) - Mat TBD
Championship197#1 Aaron Brooks (PSU)#3 Zach Glazier (IOWA)
[Championship] 197 — #1 Aaron Brooks (PSU) vs #3 Zach Glazier (IOWA) - Mat TBD
Championship285#1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU)#2 Nick Feldman (OSU)
[Championship] 285 — #1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU) vs #2 Nick Feldman (OSU) - Mat TBD

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT