ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 2 - Match/discussion thread

What do you mean? We have 6 Penn St guys to cheer against. 😄😄
200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
Byers hinted at a redshirt for Davis next year saying he's unsure 125 is in the cards again (said it was tough this year but the kid was very disciplined)
Makes sense. In any event, look for either Davis or Lilledahl to redshirt next season. Barring injury, I fully expect Nagao to be the starter at 133 in 2024-25.

174 Starocci
184 Barr
197 Cochran/Mirasola
285 Kerkvliet
I could see a 1-year transfer (ala Truax) coming in at 197 for 2024-25, assuming such a guy is out there, which I have not checked. Would give Mirasola a redshirt year, rather than throwing him in the lineup immediately. Cochran is a nice backup, but suspect the staff would look for an upgrade. If no transfer, Cochran may begin the season as starter, possibly replaced by Mirasola in 2025 if he shows sufficient progress.

If Starocci does not return, Facundo seems the obvious replacement, assuming he can effectively handle the bump up from. 165. Suspect that the staff would prefer to redshirt Ryder.

Makes sense. In any event, look for either Davis or Lilledahl to redshirt next season. Barring injury, I fully expect Nagao to be the starter at 133 in 2024-25.
Not if he doesn't improve over the summer. This current crop of Lions seem to embrace the opportunity to wrestle. If either Davis or Lilledahl beat him out look for them to want to wrestle.
f4c82ceee72449963ee29369d6724832.jpg

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Not if he doesn't improve over the summer. This current crop of Lions seem to embrace the opportunity to wrestle. If either Davis or Lilledahl beat him out look for them to want to wrestle.
f4c82ceee72449963ee29369d6724832.jpg
We'll see. For now, I'm sticking with my opinion about Nagao.

I could see a 1-year transfer (ala Truax) coming in at 197 for 2024-25, assuming such a guy is out there, which I have not checked. Would give Mirasola a redshirt year, rather than throwing him in the lineup immediately. Cochran is a nice backup, but suspect the staff would look for an upgrade. If no transfer, Cochran may begin the season as starter, possibly replaced by Mirasola in 2025 if he shows sufficient progress.

If Starocci does not return, Facundo seems the obvious replacement, assuming he can effectively handle the bump up from. 165. Suspect that the staff would prefer to redshirt Ryder.
Agreed that the coaches will likely want to at least have another 197 compete with Cochran. Perhaps Cochran turns out to be a good starter, just not sure the coaches will want to rely on that -- unless they think Mirasola is ready now.

Cardenas from Cornell would make a ton of sense if he's graduating and wants to use his remaining eligibility. He's a JR and just finished 4th.

Other JRs:
- Beard -- unlikely
- Buchanan (Oklahoma) -- 3x AA, 2x 3rd
- Elam (Missouri) -- 4x AA, 5-4-3-6, unlikely to leave
- Glazier -- unlikely to leave unless Brands gets Ford Focus in
- Luke Stout (Princeton) -- 3x NQ, not sure if graduating yet. Family knows Cael after Kellan wrestled for PSU.
- Hopkins (Campbell) -- 2x NQ
- Surber (OKST) -- 3x NQ, unlikely to leave
- Shaw (N. Carolina) -- 3x NQ. I doubt he leaves, but he is from PA.
- Stemmet (Stanford) -- 3x NQ
- Smith (VT) -- 2x NQ
- Mitchell (Buffalo) -- 1x NQ, went 1-2
- Braunagle (Illinois) -- 4x NQ, 2x R12. Shirting this year.

Most of these guys are not clear upgrades over Cochran and would only be useful as additional competition.

We'll see. For now, I'm sticking with my opinion about Nagao.
Frankly I think Nagao should take a redshirt next year to relearn everything.

This season was a learning experience. The book came out and the worst chapters were revealed.

Only shot is to the right. No other neutral attacks. ✔️
Can't defend his legs check ✅
Can't scramble for offense check ✅
Has amazing ride but can't score from it unless it's a deep half that usually gets pd check ✅
Takes too long to get a feel for the match ✅

This is a rebuild that probably will take 2 years, this one and next one. Give Aaron a shirt and let Brayden eat and grow some more and then unleash that kraken named Lilledahl.

This season was a learning experience. The book came out and the worst chapters were revealed.

Has amazing ride but can't score from it unless it's a deep half that usually gets pd check ✅

This is a rebuild that probably will take 2 years, this one and next one. Give Aaron a shirt and let Brayden eat and grow some mre and then unleash that kraken named Lilledahl.
Used his redshirt in 2022. ✅

This is a rebuild that probably will take 2 years, this one and next one. Give Aaron a shirt and let Brayden eat and grow some more and then unleash that kraken named Lilledahl.
Were you to hammered last night to remember your Nagao redshirt conversation?

I have no idea what you're talking about. But I do remember you saying Nagao was going to take an Olympic redshirt next year. You remember that?
You mean this, right?

You mean this, right?

SMH

Reactions: ccdiver
You mean this, right?

Yeah, that's it

Agreed that the coaches will likely want to at least have another 197 compete with Cochran. Perhaps Cochran turns out to be a good starter, just not sure the coaches will want to rely on that -- unless they think Mirasola is ready now.

Cardenas from Cornell would make a ton of sense if he's graduating and wants to use his remaining eligibility. He's a JR and just finished 4th.

Other JRs:
- Beard -- unlikely
- Buchanan (Oklahoma) -- 3x AA, 2x 3rd
- Elam (Missouri) -- 4x AA, 5-4-3-6, unlikely to leave
- Glazier -- unlikely to leave unless Brands gets Ford Focus in
- Luke Stout (Princeton) -- 3x NQ, not sure if graduating yet. Family knows Cael after Kellan wrestled for PSU.
- Hopkins (Campbell) -- 2x NQ
- Surber (OKST) -- 3x NQ, unlikely to leave
- Shaw (N. Carolina) -- 3x NQ. I doubt he leaves, but he is from PA.
- Stemmet (Stanford) -- 3x NQ
- Smith (VT) -- 2x NQ
- Mitchell (Buffalo) -- 1x NQ, went 1-2
- Braunagle (Illinois) -- 4x NQ, 2x R12. Shirting this year.

Most of these guys are not clear upgrades over Cochran and would only be useful as additional competition.
@El-Jefe your wrestling knowledge and the ability to produce so many detailed and on-point posts always impresses me!

It would be really funny if they both ended up at 157 next year as rumored. Fingers crossed!
He'll either get Levi riding him for 3+ minutes then pinning him, or MM getting the tech in the second period from a weak and shell shock Cali. Pick his poison

Reactions: ccdiver
He'll either get Levi riding him for 3+ minutes then pinning him, or MM getting the tech in the second period from a weak and shell shock Cali. Pick his poison
I wouldn't pick him to win, but Haines is a much better match up for Caliendo imo. Also, nobody's ridden Caliendo. He's fantastic on bottom.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
I wouldn't pick him to win, but Haines is a much better match up for Caliendo imo. Also, nobody's ridden Caliendo. He's fantastic on bottom.
He had a lot of chances to practice that under(literally) Mitch.😁

Caliendo minus 8 pounds would get ridden hard by Levi at 157, if Levi decides that is the strategy to and stays at 157. MM/Caliendo at 157 would be the same results from their 165 matches, minus 2 minutes for the tech. And I like Caliendo (second favorite starting Hawk after Glazier), but he is a bad matchup (as we saw) for MM at 165 or 157 for certain. I agree that Haines would be a better matchup for him at 165, but I don't see it being competitive at 157 for him with Haines. We'll see for certain

Caliendo minus 8 pounds would get ridden hard by Levi at 157, if Levi decides that is the strategy to and stays at 157. MM/Caliendo at 157 would be the same results from their 165 matches, minus 2 minutes for the tech. And I like Caliendo (second favorite starting Hawk after Glazier), but he is a bad matchup (as we saw) for MM at 165 or 157 for certain. I agree that Haines would be a better matchup for him at 165, but I don't see it being competitive at 157 for him with Haines. We'll see for certain
Why? Because you say so? Haines is good on top, but he's not some incredible dynamo that nobody can get away from. Andonian got out in 20 seconds. Plenty of people got away from him. He's not Zain or Spencer or DT.

Cael Sanderson Interview After Semifinal Wins

“The Missile!” New nickname for Psycho!!

What I call them when telling my family (who can care less about wrestling)..

Baby face
Nagao
Little Beau (to differentiate from big Bo)
Kasak
Levi
Missile (formerly known as Psycho)
Killer
Bernie
AB
Kerk

"Missile Mesenbrink." 😁 I somehow missed this Cael interview last week. The GOAT has spoken. 🐐 Love it! ✅

Why? Because you say so? Haines is good on top, but he's not some incredible dynamo that nobody can get away from. Andonian got out in 20 seconds. Plenty of people got away from him. He's not Zain or Spencer or DT.
Franek =\= Plenty of people I guess

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT