ADVERTISEMENT

POST-MATCH THREAD: PSU Beats Iowa

You missed @Nashville_Hawkeye ! And he admitted to being at the meet! LO, but I doubt it was him, he seems to fall in the jrod65 ranking...
Yeah, I could not believe some dumbass did that. Thanks to one of the real good guys on HR I had an amazing seat upfront right next to one of the law enforcement officials; there were serious discussions going on and information being shared between officials as they pinpointed the section and possible rows. Sadly, there's always one who does the stupid sh*t that makes others look bad. It was an amazing meet minus that incident.

Last edited:
Ha Ha, got you fooled!!!!

Unfortunately, I wasn't in attendance. Was stuck at home with Covid(no lingering health concerns), so had to watch on tv. Kind of funny that when I told my boss about testing positive, his main concern was how I was coping with missing out on the PSU meet....
You doing OK?

You doing OK?

Yeah, thanks for checking in. Pretty mild symptoms for me. Just had a bit of a scratchy throat and some annoying coughing fits that wouldn't go away. Got a little winded quicker than I should have when I was trying to break up some ice on my driveway, but other than that really wasn't much to it.

My daughter got sick shortly after I did, so got her tested assuming that she got it from me. No Covid for her, just the regular flu. She got it worse than I did, though. 103+ degree temp for a day and 1/2, super tired, headache, etc. She's doing much better today, so things are getting back to normal.

Des Moines register post match mailbag

Also has TB interview in bedded

Lol. This could be posted to tHR, and the majority over there would still insist a leg lace is not prerequisite to securing a merkle.

Cody Goodwin puts a lot into his job — I like his work.

Lol. This could be posted to tHR, and the majority over there would still insist a leg lace is not prerequisite to securing a merkle.

Cody Goodwin puts a lot into his job — I like his work.
Tell you what stood out to me upon rewatch. In the last minute of the RBY/ADS match, RBY had both feet in the black circle for over 50 seconds and at least one foot in for all but about 4 seconds. He is the one holding center the final minute of the match.

the majority over there would still insist a leg lace is not prerequisite to securing a merkle
Including @mcpat ?

Honestly, the USA freestyle officiating presentation, provided on HR as evidence, and its discussions had me questioning whether lacing the leg was a prerequisite in folkstyle for a Merkle takedown or just integral to completing a rollover in a continuous move as part of a pinning combination.

I do agree that Carter no longer had Kemerer's leg with his right arm with 2 seconds left. Maybe Kemerer's left leg just wasn't "deep" at that point. 😉

Tell you what stood out to me upon rewatch. In the last minute of the RBY/ADS match, RBY had both feet in the black circle for over 50 seconds and at least one foot in for all but about 4 seconds. He is the one holding center the final minute of the match.
I think Desanto was dead tired after his 6 minutes of hellfire

I think Desanto was dead tired after his 6 minutes of hellfire
That's a very good way of putting it.

On one hand, I think Desanto going to Iowa has helped him immensely. He hasn't attempted any blatant bone-breaking moves in recent memory.

Other hand, there is absolutely no way that those crazy idiots in his corner, and their antics, help him in a match like Friday.

Reactions: Ski
Including @mcpat ?

Honestly, the USA freestyle officiating presentation, provided on HR as evidence, and its discussions had me questioning whether lacing the leg was a prerequisite in folkstyle for a Merkle takedown or just integral to completing a rollover in a continuous move as part of a pinning combination.

I do agree that Carter no longer had Kemerer's leg with his right arm with 2 seconds left. Maybe Kemerer's left leg just wasn't "deep" at that point. 😉
Kemerer’s near-side foot was actually outside Starocci’s legs, not between them, as Starocci definitively showed with his ankle work (knee on top of Kem’s lower leg, foot blocking/scooping Kem’s foot to the outside). Whether a full-on lace is necessary becomes moot when you cannot even establish your near-side leg between the legs of your opponent.

When Starocci releases his hold of the far leg, he simultaneously executes that blocking/scooping action of Kem’s lower leg and foot to remove Kem’s leg from between his own legs. Kem lacing the leg would have established that inside-leg position and, therefore, control. As it was, Kem did not have his leg established between Starocci’s at the time Starocci released the far leg. Not a merkle.

definitively showed with his ankle work (knee on top of Kem’s lower leg, foot blocking/scooping Kem’s foot to the outside)
Thanks. I definitely noticed Carter appearing to purposefully adjust his ankle position. He appeared to do so to control Kemerer's leg before breaking his hands.

I brought up the lace, because it was Goodwin's justification for no TD, that seemed a major point of contention on HR, and the suggestion was to post the article on HR.

I inferred when you wrote that HR would insist a leg lace was a prerequisite, that you believed it was not. But now I infer you may've backed off that position some and a leg lace may not be a prerequisite. So I still don't know the truth.

Last edited:
Thanks. I definitely noticed Carter appearing to purposefully adjust his ankle position. He appeared to do so to control Kemerer's leg before breaking his hands.

I brought up the lace, because it was Goodwin's justification for no TD, that seemed a major point of contention on HR, and the suggestion was to post the article on HR.
Yeah, the way I try to simplify it is that, with a side head-lock, you need to gain control of your opponent’s hips to secure the TD, and I don’t know how to do that without establishing inside leg control (e.g., lace).

Yeah, the way I try to simplify it is that, with a side head-lock, you need to gain control of your opponent’s hips to secure the TD, and I don’t know how to do that without establishing inside leg control (e.g., lace).
Fair enough. Thanks for the more explicit explanation.

Suffice it to say, I hope we don't see Carter on that position with Kem again in the future. Both will make adjustments.

Kem showed some other worldly defense after Carter was in deep on him repeatedly. A little adjustment there, which should be forthcoming, will give Carter the point cushion to keep my blood pressure below stroke levels.

I inferred when you wrote that HR would insist a leg lace was a prerequisite, that you believed it was not. But now I infer you may've backed off that position some and a leg lace may not be a prerequisite. So I still don't know the truth.
Carter Won. PSU Won. We won.

lots of losers, but not of our outer or inner circle.

No need to worry about that noise. Though posting it on tHR is popcorn level entertainment.

Reactions: creamery freak
Kemerer’s near-side foot was actually outside Starocci’s legs, not between them, as Starocci definitively showed with his ankle work (knee on top of Kem’s lower leg, foot blocking/scooping Kem’s foot to the outside). Whether a full-on lace is necessary becomes moot when you cannot even establish your near-side leg between the legs of your opponent.

When Starocci releases his hold of the far leg, he simultaneously executes that blocking/scooping action of Kem’s lower leg and foot to remove Kem’s leg from between his own legs. Kem lacing the leg would have established that inside-leg position and, therefore, control. As it was, Kem did not have his leg established between Starocci’s at the time Starocci released the far leg. Not a merkle.

Doesn't even have to be simultaneous as Carter would be entitled to "Reaction Time" in that situation. In addition, the lower leg across & over opponent's lower leg and ankle is a recognized "ankle trap/bar" (IOW, this ankle bar is clearly in place on video which precludes the ability of an offensive merkel to also be in place or recognized.). It is also unclear exactly when Carter releases hold of Kemerer's lower left leg as you are unable to see the lower half of his arm as he brings his right leg up and over Kemerer's lower left leg (this whole adjustment starts taking place at 2 second mark on clock - Carter clearly has a grip on Kemerer's right lower leg as Kem's knee is heading back to mat - Carter's lower arm then can't be seen as he brings his right leg over Kemerer's lower left leg.).

Carter's lower arm then can't be seen as he brings his right leg over Kemerer's lower left leg.).
I read your many identical posts. I can see Carter's right arm on the mat with the displayed clock at 2 seconds, so we can agree to disagree on this point.

I agree that Carter adjusted his leg to control Kemerer's erstwhile inside leg position.

Nothing really explains why Rivera later called the TD with no apparent subsequent change in position only to later explain his reason for its withdrawal as the call was made after time had expired.

My biggest takeaway from reviewing the folkstyle rules is that "control of the opponent" is judgement, and the 1st referee's judgement is paramount to any scoring. Like ball and strike calls, there's little point in arguing them.

Reactions: nerfstate
Des Moines register post match mailbag

Also has TB interview in bedded

When a sports article is written that is so neutral-sounding that it could have come from either camp, that's a trick hard to pull off. Welcome to Switzerland, Mr. Goodwin.

I read your many identical posts. I can see Carter's right arm on the mat with the displayed clock at 2 seconds, so we can agree to disagree on this point.

I agree that Carter adjusted his leg to control Kemerer's erstwhile inside leg position.

Nothing really explains why Rivera later called the TD with no apparent subsequent change in position only to later explain his reason for its withdrawal as the call was made after time had expired.

My biggest takeaway from reviewing the folkstyle rules is that "control of the opponent" is judgement, and the 1st referee's judgement is paramount to any scoring. Like ball and strike calls, there's little point in arguing them.

In addition to your point about Carter changing his leg position during this adjustment at ~2 second mark to trap Kemerer's lower leg and ankle, it wouldn't matter if these things happened simultaneously as Carter is absolutely entitled to "Reaction Time" in this situation and he is clearly in the process of moving his right leg to trap Kemerer's lower left leg just above ankle at the same time he still has a grip on Kemerer's lower leg at 2 second mark.

I agree, there is no point in rehashing that take down or I should say non-takedown. However, something I found interesting and to be honest, a little curious is the fact that again Iowa only has one duel scheduled this weekend.

in the process of moving his right leg to trap Kemerer's lower left leg just above ankle at the same time he still has a grip on Kemerer's lower leg at 2 second mark
I agree with this.

Still, 2 seconds seems quite long for a reaction and I would expect some subsequent position change indicative of a reaction for such time to be relevant.

Reaction time would be the 1st referee's judgment (except for rear standing).

I don't think Kemerer will shoot much this season. Doesn't want to put strain on that shoulder so I don't blame him, they're recreating the Cory Clark strategy, which won him a title. He's virtually impossible to score on also, Carter has 1 TD on him in 3 matches and even that one took a gassed Kemerer and was super hard to get. It's actually insane he's changed his style (he loved shooting a lot when healthy) which is very impressive but something you can expect from a kid with his kind of IQ.

Will be interesting to see how Carter and the coaches adjust.

I don't think Kemerer will shoot much this season. Doesn't want to put strain on that shoulder so I don't blame him, they're recreating the Cory Clark strategy, which won him a title. He's virtually impossible to score on also, Carter has 1 TD on him in 3 matches and even that one took a gassed Kemerer and was super hard to get. It's actually insane he's changed his style (he loved shooting a lot when healthy) which is very impressive but something you can expect from a kid with his kind of IQ.

Will be interesting to see how Carter and the coaches adjust.
Carter will take him down at B1Gs. Book it.

I agree with this.

Still, 2 seconds seems quite long for a reaction and I would expect some subsequent position change indicative of a reaction for such time to be relevant.

Reaction time would be the 1st referee's judgment (except for rear standing).

Except for the fact that 2 seconds didn't expire before Carter trapped Kemerer's lower left leg with his lower right leg just above Kemerer's ankle. Video clearly shows this whole readjustment at the 2 second mark.... Carter has hold of Kemerer's lower left leg with his right hand - Kemerer's leg is up off mat, as his leg is returning to mat, Carter covers his lower left leg with his lower right leg (imho, you can no longer see the lower-half of Carter's right arm as this covering occurs simultaneous with Kemerer's knee and lower-leg returning to mat.). All of this did occur simultaneously during the adjustment which takes place at 2-3 second mark, but my point was that it didn't even need to be simultaneous as Starocci is entitled to "Reaction Time" in this situation.

Except for the fact that 2 seconds didn't expire before Carter trapped Kemerer's lower left leg with his lower right leg just above Kemerer's ankle. Video clearly shows this whole readjustment at the 2 second mark.... Carter has hold of Kemerer's lower left leg with his right hand - Kemerer's leg is up off mat, as his leg is returning to mat, Carter covers his lower left leg with his lower right leg (imho, you can no longer see the lower-half of Carter's right arm as this covering occurs simultaneous with Kemerer's knee and lower-leg returning to mat.). All of this did occur simultaneously during the adjustment which takes place at 2-3 second mark, but my point was that it didn't even need to be simultaneous as Starocci is entitled to "Reaction Time" in this situation.
CJFJP brings a whole new meaning to the old phrase "Beating a dead horse." 😁

CJFJP brings a whole new meaning to the old phrase "Beating a dead horse." 😁
I am only on my 2nd lesson in dealings with the alleged "Bushwood."

I learn something new happened that I didn't see everytime, like Carter continuing to control Kemerer's lower right leg with Carter's left hand after the 2 second mark. I will watch and look for that, but I fear that may be a wild goose chase, because it was previously stated one could not see Carter's right arm at all.

Edit: Rewatched. Yes, Carter had ankle in hand at start of 2 second left on the clock. Carter no longer had ankle in hand ~midway of 2 seconds being on clock. So there was less than 2 seconds left.

Last edited:
Here is a positive... although Kemdawg almost had a good counter or two for points, it is a positive that CStar didn't get stuck like he did last year in the dual. CStar needs to continue working that counter as Kem uses it every time..
What dual? We didn't wrestle Iowa last year as it was postponed.

I am now willing to believe that Rivera could've factored in his judgment of reaction time and didn't realize time had expired due to crowd noise. Could even be that Iowa's clock malfunctions factored into his judgment. Of course all this presupposes that a lace is not a prerequisite for a folkstyle merkle takedown, in Rivera's judgment of what constitutes control.

I am only on my 2nd lesson in dealings with the alleged "Bushwood."

I learn something new happened that I didn't see everytime, like Carter continuing to control Kemerer's lower right leg with Carter's left hand after the 2 second mark. I will watch and look for that, but I fear that may be a wild goose chase, because it was previously stated one could not see Carter's right arm at all.

Edit: Rewatched. Yes, Carter had ankle in hand at start of 2 second left on the clock. Carter no longer had ankle in hand ~midway of 2 seconds being on clock. So there was less than 2 seconds left.

I never said he controlled Kemerer's right lower leg with his left hand after the 2 second mark - that's made up bullshit. I said that there is an adjustment at the 2-3 second mark (which there was) and at the 2 second mark you can clearly see Carter's right hand/arm controlling Kemerer's right lower-leg as the adjustment begins. What I said was that you can see Carter's right lower-leg covering Kemerer's lower left leg just above the ankle trapping it to the mat as his leg is returning to mat at 2 second mark. You can't see the bottom half of Carter's right arm as Kemerer's left lower leg is returning to mat as Carter's right leg has come across Kemerer's left leg as Kemerer's left leg is returning to mat.

Carter is covering Kemerer's left lower-leg simultaneously with it returning to mat. I merely pointed out that the covering of Kemerer's lower left-leg is simultaneous with Carter repositioning his grip on Kemerer's right lower-leg as Kemerer's leg is returning to mat, but it doesn't even need to be simultaneous as Carter is entitled to "Reaction Time" there.

I am now willing to believe that Rivera could've factored in his judgment of reaction time and didn't realize time had expired due to crowd noise. Could even be that Iowa's clock malfunctions factored into his judgment. Of course all this presupposes that a lace is not a prerequisite for a folkstyle merkle takedown, in Rivera's judgment of what constitutes control.

Don't think it can be that either as Kemerer has no elements of Merkel control once Starocci moves his left lower-leg over top Kemerer's right lower-leg trapping it to the mat just above the ankle. Kemerer's left leg is no longer inside Starocci's right leg once Starocci executes this ankle trap as Starocci is clearly controlling Kemerer's right lower-leg and his foot below the ankle is inside of Kemerer's right lower leg.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT