ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread PSU @ Iowa in-match discussion thread

Has Tom Brands traveled outside the state of Iowa in the past nine years (since Michael Kemerer) to scout or recruit an athlete? Has he traveled inside the state of Iowa in the past nine years to scout or recruit an athlete?

Has Tom Brands traveled outside the state of Iowa in the past nine years (since Michael Kemerer) to scout or recruit an athlete? Has he traveled inside the state of Iowa in the past nine years to scout or recruit an athlete?
He’s focusing on low hanging fruit at Sebolt. Given Sebolt’s eMbRaCe ThE gRiNd approach, it fits in well with the Brands world view, but puts a lot of tread on the tires

The refs job is to keep the match going. The ref never attempted to do that with Ayala until the 3rd period. It's very easy to do. Give a warning, then the stall call is next. Hard to blame a guy standing when he's facing a dude with his knee on the ground. The real problem has always been the same in NCAA wrestling. There is zero consistency in the calls. Just have some consistency. At least in freestyle, you better damn well wrestle, or you're on the clock.

My problem is not with Ayala going to a knee - that is not stalling in-&-of itself. You could be doing it to create a change of levels and look for angles to attack as you come back up. So occasionally going to a knee as one element of your Neutral Offense is not stalling. But going to a knee habitually as an exclusively defensive mechanism to prevent engagement and therefore prevent offensive action is absolutely illegal when you do it 30+ times in a match with many of the one-knee kneel-downs lasting 5 or 10 seconds!

No way in hell should that be permitted and Folk Refs allowing this type of bullshit (i.e., blatant stalling to prevent offensive action and preserve a narrow lead) is the biggest problem with Folk wrestling. Mike McCormick should be busy issuing his Press Releases stating how the Ref failed to enforce the Rules to the detriment of the sport - and that type of bullshit wrestling will not be tolerated in the regular season.... and most certainly will not be allowed at the NCAA Chapionships.

Reactions: 7Springs and Ski
It is interesting that I bet many Iowa fans that are perfectly fine with Ayala wrestling on his knee were probably apoplectic with RBY not “presenting himself” by keeping one arm behind his back.

To be clear, I do not agree that RBY didn’t present himself.

Last edited:
It is interesting that I bet many Iowa fans that are perfectly fine with Ayala wrestling on his knee were probably apoplectic with RBY not “presenting himself” by keeping one arm behind his back.

RBY did not refuse "to present himself" by keeping an arm behind his back - he refused to allow Desanto to "Russian-Tie" his arm, but he didn't refuse to engage (as evidenced by his own takedowns of Desanto.

Reactions: ccdiver
Iowa fans epitomize what about isms

RBY did not refuse "to present himself" by keeping an arm behind his back - he refused to allow Desanto to "Russian-Tie" his arm, but he didn't refuse to engage (as evidenced by his own takedowns of Desanto.
I know that, hence the quotes, they said that!

Reactions: SUPERTODD
And Vice-versa. Works both ways for both fanbases.

Here's Goggles upon seeing the length of this post....

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max
I have been outdone. He can have the record, it's exhausting.

Possibly with some, though a lot of coaches across sports are more than a little off (Brian Kelly for starters) and recruit plenty well enough.

Whatever recruiting issues they have are more likely due to recruiting methods, NCAA placement, and the HWC roster.
James Franklin looks "off" to many outsiders.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
It's not complete nonsense. Neither was the aggressor until Davis started pushing pace in the last 30 sec of the 3rd period.

That said, both Davis and the ref let Ayala get away with a Mason Beckman impersonation.
Does anyone think Davis held back to not tip his hand completely before things get important? Coaching staff and him seemed very calm during this break to go out and do more of the same, I just wonder if it was data gathering reminiscent of RBY Desanto dual.

Yea, no way I see them telling Davis to intentionally lose, but they may have told him not to "throw caution to the wind".... Some have suggested that he should have bull-rushed Ayala, but imho that would have been exactly what Ayala was looking for.... - if Davis attempted to freight-train him, all Ayala has to do is go low for the ankle pick, Davis would have been taken down. Ayala was attempting to frustrate Davis and make him do something desperate.... What's been suggested would not have worked.

Yea, no way I see them telling Davis to intentionally lose, but they may have told him not to "throw caution to the wind".... Some have suggested that he should have bull-rushed Ayala, but imho that would have been exactly what Ayala was looking for.... - if Davis attempted to freight-train him, all Ayala has to do is go low for the ankle pick, Davis would have been taken down. Ayala was attempting to frustrate Davis and make him do something desperate.... What's been suggested would not have worked.
I’m envisioning a Beau Bartlett head-flip over a kneeling Ayala to get behind him for an easy TD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT