ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Nebraska dual - Sun, Feb 18

This happens to Brooks all the time. Just ask his father about the Hidlay NCAA Final. He was on the line our outside of it for four minutes of the match. Same with Lewis against Carter.
I wonder if Hidlay & Lewis do the same thing in freestyle where that strategy might work against them. When I watched the Lilledahl - Spratley freestyle replay (courtesy NittanyLion84), it struck me that Spratley "took" ground on almost all of the neutral restarts. That is, he lined up in Lilledahl's half of the inner circle, so he was that much closer to picking up a point for driving Lilledahl out of bounds. (Luke won anyway. :) )

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Im not upset. I do think pins are more fun than defaults.

The pin should always be the ultimate objective.

I hate that it's being devalued with the new rules, especially the 3 point TD rule, which is nothing more than grade inflation.

And for anybody that thinks a ton of takedowns are necessary for a good an exciting match, I give you Bearclaw's and Cochran's matches at Rutgers.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Yes, the one on Market Street. Just west of the Armory.

In the early 90's it was one of many live band places. Local bands like Something Wet and Strawberry Jam played there. My wife (then my ex-girlfriend) left because she wasn't going to work in a t*tty bar.

Several years ago, he got in trouble with the PLCB.

I guess the sports bar concept didn't work.

As an aside, you might remember "The Speakeasy" in Edwardsville. One of Jule's daughters owned it.

His other daughter, Karen was the inspiration for "concerts for Karen". She married a co-worker's brother and contracted gestational leukemia. In attempt to deliver successfully, she postponed treatment. She passed in the effort. Now with personal experience with a blood cancer, I admire her more.
The Speakeasy had a ping-pong table. I loved that place! I was 18 going into that place and just crushing everyone. I did get beat up a couple of times for hustling. Oops.😇

In spite of how Manning acts on the mat, his wrestlers seem like great kids, Exhibit 506. At Big10s in Michigan last year we sat with Nebraska fans, great group of guys. Fun time with guys who loved wrestling.
wait a minute, you mean a fan based isn't represented by its forum commenteers?

Reactions: mcpat
Yes, the one on Market Street. Just west of the Armory.

In the early 90's it was one of many live band places. Local bands like Something Wet and Strawberry Jam played there. My wife (then my ex-girlfriend) left because she wasn't going to work in a t*tty bar.

Several years ago, he got in trouble with the PLCB.

I guess the sports bar concept didn't work.

As an aside, you might remember "The Speakeasy" in Edwardsville. One of Jule's daughters owned it.

His other daughter, Karen was the inspiration for "concerts for Karen". She married a co-worker's brother and contracted gestational leukemia. In attempt to deliver successfully, she postponed treatment. She passed in the effort. Now with personal experience with a blood cancer, I admire her more.
I went to high school with the leader of Strawberry Jam, he is still rockin!

I tell my wife that if she disagrees with my opinion, it is a very strong indication that she is wrong.

And then I duck ....

In spite of how Manning acts on the mat, his wrestlers seem like great kids, Exhibit 506. At Big10s in Michigan last year we sat with Nebraska fans, great group of guys. Fun time with guys who loved wrestling.
Similar observation here about the Nebraska team. After the match, a Nebraska fan asked if I would take his picture with the PSU mat as background. My wife and I had a long conversation with him and complimented the Nebraska wrestlers as among the best in both wrestling skills and demeanor. As it turns out, he was the coach at a club where Lovett works out. He told us that he has had PSU wrestlers (Nolf, others) at his cliinics and he is trying to get others to come west to more of them. He was very complimentary of PSU wrestlers and the program. Very nice gentleman!!

I wonder if Hidlay & Lewis do the same thing in freestyle where that strategy might work against them. When I watched the Lilledahl - Spratley freestyle replay (courtesy NittanyLion84), it struck me that Spratley "took" ground on almost all of the neutral restarts. That is, he lined up in Lilledahl's half of the inner circle, so he was that much closer to picking up a point for driving Lilledahl out of bounds. (Luke won anyway. :) )
Hidlay does it against one opponent.

It just happens to be the one opponent we pay the most attention to.

I might have thought Beau had earned the benefit of the doubt. I don’t expect GIA posters to think so, but the “national” media and twitterverse really disappointed me on this one. Here’s a guy always in close matches and frequently in SV. To think he’d fake an injury with 30 secs to go is unfathomable. No - he’d keep scrambling if there wasn’t something wrong at that moment. And if he got taken down (which was definitely not a given) he’d escape and gladly wrestle in SV.

I might have thought Beau had earned the benefit of the doubt. I don’t expect GIA posters to think so, but the “national” media and twitterverse really disappointed me on this one. Here’s a guy always in close matches and frequently in SV. To think he’d fake an injury with 30 secs to go is unfathomable. No - he’d keep scrambling if there wasn’t something wrong at that moment. And if he got taken down (which was definitely not a given) he’d escape and gladly wrestle in SV.
It looked to me at the match that his knee kind of locked or froze up due to being in an awkward position - just temporarily immobilized.

And if he got taken down (which was definitely not a given) he’d escape and gladly wrestle in SV.
I watched the sequence way too many times today. I really don’t think Beau gave up Hardy’s leg until after the whistle—that’s not a position, he typically concedes.

Good post, seems to me you know wrestling 😉
Pinto was underrated in highschool. He was funky and strong. District 11 fans and coaches knew about him but he didn't get much coverage out of area .
Manning is what he is on the mat. From what I hear off the mat he's a good guy. How many more years before Snyder takes over.?
Charles Chips at one time had door to door service in Mt Bethel. Put the tan color can on front porch and they would deliver a fresh canister once a week.
We also had Stocker Brothers/ Lehigh Valley Dairy milk box on porch for delivery.
Different times.😕
Manning doesn't annoy me. Terry Brands is a different story. I can't figure out why. Maybe because I like Snyder and Burroughs.

Reactions: Callthestall
Hmmm, I only knew of the Cabaret as the nudie bar….. not that I visited. That was the one on Market St, right? Now it is a sushi place.
1qSJUd.gif

Hidlay does it against one opponent.

It just happens to be the one opponent we pay the most attention to.

Exactly. It is the ultimate compliment to Brooks. He respects Brooks enough to change his style to try to give himself his best chance to get the win. Hidlay is NOT a defensive wrestler against anyone not named Aaron Brooks.

Reactions: Callthestall
I know it's been mentioned on this board that he is an absolute class act (especially those who have had the pleasure of meeting him in person) but man ... how do you not love this kid?

For the record, he has every reason and right to be upset with the call and chooses to handle it with class.

There are too many athletes and fans across all sports who make excuses. Here is a kid who in the midst of having many on social media making excuses for him that stands up and says "There is no excuse". So awesome to see, and I am a big fan of this kid!
He obviously does not meet the basic requirements of a wussie!

Personally, I thought his “I am potentially dangerous” post was pretty funny, so if this was done in response to criticism over that, it was unwarranted, at least for me. He seems like a good kid, and I like the way he wrestles, except when he gets his knees twisted in a knot which makes my stomach turn, LOL.

I know it's been mentioned on this board that he is an absolute class act (especially those who have had the pleasure of meeting him in person) but man ... how do you not love this kid?

For the record, he has every reason and right to be upset with the call and chooses to handle it with class.
Kid has more class in his pinkie than all of the buffoons in CHA combined.

Personally, I thought his “I am potentially dangerous” post was pretty funny, so if this was done in response to criticism over that, it was unwarranted, at least for me. He seems like a good kid, and I like the way he wrestles, except when he gets his knees twisted in a knot which makes my stomach turn, LOL.
Yeah I just thought it was a thing that like an athlete and coach would say to laugh off a situation and keep the athlete centered. Not take anything too seriously, not a big deal, laugh and move on.

Even with the loss, Hardy probably came out feeling pretty good. “If that’s number 1 I can win the thing”.

428633382_10159791926150812_7892404888874412387_n.jpg

I've watched Bartlett going back to HS and he's not the guy who fakes an injury to stop the clock or bail himself out of a bad position. And his reaction here seems pretty genuine.
so hank have you never had a quick but very painful anything in any part of your body?Happens to me all the time!twisted knee or arm etc etc for me its old age pains!

Reactions: Pale ryder
The action of a coach on the seat typically reflects how they wrestled and carried themselves when they competed. Watch Sanderson in his matches. He was stoic and confident. No difference as a coach.
It appears Manning recruits good character kids. It shows on and off mat. . I believe I read about Ryan and the good graduation rate that Ohio State had a few years ago. That's what matters.
I think the action of the coach during match does not reflect on the overall status of the program.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT