ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 3 - Match/discussion thread

Just got through the finals to page 27 and gave out a bunch of likes. I was at our cabin for a work weekend, and watched the semis and finals there. Cell service isn't the best so I didn't keep up on the message board.

What an awesome year for PSU wrestling and major congrats to our guys and especially Carter the warrior for getting his 4th with Aaron. What Cael has built is so special and anyone that thinks he's not the best coach in the USA, only have to look at Kasak's 3rd place finish. Already looking forward to watching our next group of studs! We Are!

I finally had a chance to go back and look at Ben Pasiuk's (Army) overturned pin of Mekhi Lewis. Wow, Mekhi was dead to rights in a tight cradle and the refs overturned the pin because Mekhi's foot bumped the arm of a coach sitting in the corner of an adjoining mat. They didn't even give Pasiuk a takedown.

Mekhi went from getting pinned to going on to win 4-0. I feel bad for Pasiuk.

Anyone have a link to Kasak vs Lovett video in NCAA. I keep getting the earlier match. Ugh.

The Kasak vs. Lovett 3rd place match is on the Saturday morning "Medal Round - Mat 3" feed & starts at 14:00 mark.

You inspired me to rewatch that match. What a performance by Kasak! After VanNess went down, how many people thought PSU would have a 3rd place finisher at 149 who major'd the #1 ranked guy in the country? Some may claim Cael & company can't coach, but they sure find a way to get guys to exceed expectations in the highest pressure situations at the biggest events.

Last edited:
I finally had a chance to go back and look at Ben Pasiuk's (Army) overturned pin of Mekhi Lewis. Wow, Mekhi was dead to rights in a tight cradle and the refs overturned the pin because Mekhi's foot bumped the arm of a coach sitting in the corner of an adjoining mat. They didn't even give Pasiuk a takedown.

The guy who got kicked by Lewis -- one foot of his chair was on the Pasiuk-Lewis mat.

Silly (and yet not unexpected) that the NCAA can't do basic geometry at its championships. Assume both competitors are 6 ft tall --> 12 foot perimeter of additional mat around the edge. For both scoring and safety reasons.

It's one thing for this to not happen at duals. But at the NCAA Championships?

At least this didn't keep Pasiuk off the podium -- both guys had already clinched a medal.

First time I saw this; brutal for Pasiuk!

Last edited:
The guy who got kicked by Lewis -- one foot of his chair was on the Pasiuk-Lewis mat.

Silly (and yet not unexpected) that the NCAA can't do basic geometry at its championships. Assume both competitors are 6 ft tall --> 12 foot perimeter of additional mat around the edge. For both scoring and safety reasons.

It's one thing for this to not happen at duals. But at the NCAA Championships?

At least this didn't keep Pasiuk off the podium -- both guys had already clinched a medal.
Watch it again. The coach who got kicked by Lewis WAS inside his area. Something needs to be done with outside the ring however.

Watch it again. The coach who got kicked by Lewis WAS inside his area. Something needs to be done with outside the ring however.
It's hard to tell if the coach who got kicked was within his mat or on the Lewis-Pasiuk mat. If you say his body was within his own mat, I'll take your word for it.

But take another look at where his chair was. The back right foot was on the Lewis-Pasiuk mat.

I think we agree that the mats should not be bunched up so closely that this affects matches.

It's hard to tell if the coach who got kicked was within his mat or on the Lewis-Pasiuk mat. If you say his body was within his own mat, I'll take your word for it.

But take another look at where his chair was. The back right foot was on the Lewis-Pasiuk mat.

I think we agree that the mats should not be bunched up so closely that this affects matches.
They should space them out so there's half a mat on the end and make lewan and hidlay wrestle on that one

I had a very good view of this live.

Saw the coach on mat 3 move like he was touched by ML. The coach that was touched was clearly within his area. However, the "trainer's chair" had one foot on the Lewis-Pasiuk mat. This chair was not touched during the action.

After the match the Army coach moved the "trainer's chair" as if that was the issue. He also had some words for the officials.

I knew VT was winning the challenge before the brick hit the mat. I was actually surprised the assistant ref did not stop the action.

Reactions: El-Jefe
It would be interesting to hold Ncaas at a venue in which mats could be spread out which was going to be the case in Minneapolis until COVID

Reactions: ikS
yeah, Pendleton was kicked, but it was the trainers chair that was over the line. Crazy sequence that should be avoidable though.

I had a very good view of this live.

Saw the coach on mat 3 move like he was touched by ML. The coach that was touched was clearly within his area. However, the "trainer's chair" had one foot on the Lewis-Pasiuk mat. This chair was not touched during the action.

After the match the Army coach moved the "trainer's chair" as if that was the issue. He also had some words for the officials.

I knew VT was winning the challenge before the brick hit the mat. I was actually surprised the assistant ref did not stop the action.

I get reversing the pin. Even though ML’s foot brushing up against the coaches arm was incidental and didn’t appear to affect the outcome in any meaningful way, rules is rules.

But I don’t get not awarding the takedown. Pasiuk appears to clearly have control with the cradle locked before taking Mekhi to his back. Had he just held Mekhi in the cradle without taking him over that would’ve been a takedown, no? I’m sure I have seen it called that way throughout the season.

What’s the counter argument, reaction time?

Last edited:
I get reversing the pin. Even though ML’s foot brushing up against the coaches arm was incidental and didn’t appear to affect the outcome in any meaningful way, rules is rules.

But I don’t get not awarding the takedown. Pasiuk appears to clearly have control with the cradle locked before taking Mekhi to his back. Had he just held Mekhi in the cradle without taking him over that would’ve been a takedown. I’m sure I have seen it called that way throughout the season.

What’s the counter argument, reaction time?
A locked up cradle (by itself) is not a TD. I'm not 100% sure what the criteria is to award a TD. There is usually some turn towards the back to get the TD awarded.

I think reaction time would be an argument.

Just thought I would throw this here. Does anyone know if Carr is now training in State College? He has a lot of friends there and he always goes and sits with people in PSU gear after he wrestles.

Just thought I would throw this here. Does anyone know if Carr is now training in State College? He has a lot of friends there and he always goes and sits with people in PSU gear after he wrestles.
I'd be pretty surprised at this point. The 74kg cupboard is pretty full at NLWC of late. Then again, I wouldn't have guessed Snyder & Dake would come here.

Really though, Aaron and David are just really close friends (David was sitting with AB's family after his NCAA final this year).

Reactions: PSUeng
According to Dresser he’s staying at the Cyclone wrestling club

According to Dresser he’s staying at the Cyclone wrestling club
Yes, and we shouldn't be surprised to see him in State College occasionally.

Aside from his friendships, freestyle guys often visit other RTCs to get some training variety.

The Kasak vs. Lovett 3rd place match is on the Saturday morning "Medal Round - Mat 3" feed & starts at 14:00 mark.

You inspired me to rewatch that match. What a performance by Kasak! After VanNess went down, how many people thought PSU would have a 3rd place finisher at 149 who major'd the #1 ranked guy in the country? Some may claim Cael & company can't coach, but they sure find a way to get guys to exceed expectations in the highest pressure situations at the biggest events.
lol no only iowa losers think he cant coach yr after yr after yr!

Reactions: SlipperyPete12

The odd thing is the middle mats have more real estate than the end mats because the refs let action go onto an adjacent mat. The floor is out of bounds but an adjacent mat is not, at least it isn’t called that way.

@Chickenman Testa

Rambo Lionsgate GIF by Rambo: Last Blood

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT