ADVERTISEMENT

POST-MATCH THREAD: PSU Beats Iowa

What did you see or hear at the match? With each passing season it appears Iowa fans are building on their poor reputation around here.
I was in section B. The beer can that was tossed at the Penn State team after the C* bout came from section C.
I will admit that a few Iowa fans disapproved, however I don't think they found the guy. Why people sitting around him didn't point him out is beyond belief.

Shit, now he found the BOLD button?
Well I was trying, through the use of "BOLD" lettering, to emphasize the fact that the "Bull" moniker attached to that turd doesn't really fit for him since he can't get past the quarterfinals each year at the NCAAs. "Hefer" is better name for him although I am also quite partial to "the Chokster" as well! I am also coming around to "One who married angry, overly aggressive wife who likes to wear capes WAY TO MUCH"!! I have a really tough decision here!

Well I was trying, through the use of "BOLD" lettering, to emphasize the fact that the "Bull" moniker attached to that turd doesn't really fit for him since he can't get past the quarterfinals each year at the NCAAs. "Hefer" is better name for him although I am also quite partial to "the Chokster" as well! I am also coming around to "One who married angry, overly aggressive wife who likes to wear capes WAY TO MUCH"!! I have a really tough decision here!

What did you see or hear at the match? With each passing season it appears Iowa fans are building on their poor reputation around here.
Some generally disgusting comments I won’t want to repeat here. Even the Iowa season ticket holder that I go to Carver with, when the Lions come to town, was not pleased.

Heifer
Chokester

You are perfect for this board. Keep it coming!

Heifer
Chokester

You are perfect for this board. Keep it coming!
Truth hurts Brother! What round you think he goes out this year? i am thinking he finishes 6th this year! NO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AGAIN!! Six years of college DOWN THE DRAIN!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
I went back over the Michigan dual match results. I didn’t realize it at the time, but we won a bunch of toss-ups by a point or two. Pretty much what happened Friday night in Iowa, aside from one upset to a top guy at HWT and giving up a little more than expected at 165. I’m not sure why I felt a like we underperformed at the time. Given the venue, we really didn’t as a whole.

I went back over the Michigan dual match results. I didn’t realize it at the time, but we won a bunch of toss-ups by a point or two. Pretty much what happened Friday night in Iowa, aside from one upset to a top guy at HWT and giving up a little more than expected at 165. I’m not sure why I felt a like we underperformed at the time. Given the venue, we really didn’t as a whole.
Cael's also not going to show anything in a dual. The fireworks will come at the Big 10s and NCs so no one will be prepared for it. Like RBY hiding his arm behind his back against DickSanto last year that f*cked with his mind and took him off his game. The biggest thing that we have right now is just superior conditioning. Eirman, Young, Kemmer & Warner don't have the gas tank to win this year. Our guys are just peaking at the right time. Bodes well for the Big 10s and NCs. I just wish they would drop Berge to 157 to tear up Young at the Big 10s & NCs.

Reactions: Ski and KCLion

We are the best team but at the top of the elite wrestler pile, there is a razor thin margin between the very best and second best. We beat both Michigan and Iowa by thin margins, with many matches that could have gone the other way, except, they didn't, and they didn't for a reason.

We simply have had too many GOATs in a short span, that have skewed our expectations unrealistically. Kids who you know are going to win every dual and a NC without doubt. DT, Ruth, Zain, Nolf and Nickal are unicorns.

It's more likely we get elite talent where the Cael development factor gets them just slightly better than everyone else Q, Cenzo, Nick, RBY, Carter, Mark, Anthony. Guys who although we have huge confidence, win tight big matches.

PS - I think AB might be growing a horn as we speak.

What are thoughts about the Lee / Eirman match where Nick was thrown to his back? I think Gibbons or Sparks commented about shallow shots being what Eirman wants or is dangerous with, then a short time later he throws Nick on a shallow shot, if I recall correctly. Haven’t rewatched it. I believe Nick avoided any throws or wild scrambles with Eirman last year.
My recollection was comments indicating NL adjusted to taking shallow shots due to JE funk and scrambling when he gets in deep.

Reactions: railbirrd
We are the best team but at the top of the elite wrestler pile, there is a razor thin margin between the very best and second best. We beat both Michigan and Iowa by thin margins, with many matches that could have gone the other way, except, they didn't, and they didn't for a reason.

We simply have had too many GOATs in a short span, that have skewed our expectations unrealistically. Kids who you know are going to win every dual and a NC without doubt. DT, Ruth, Zain, Nolf and Nickal are unicorns.

It's more likely we get elite talent where the Cael development factor gets them just slightly better than everyone else Q, Cenzo, Nick, RBY, Carter, Mark, Anthony. Guys who although we have huge confidence, win tight big matches.

Perfect

Our Conditioning is at another level right now as well. The Rutgers, UM & Iowa guys were all dying and collapsing by the 3rd period. Forget about overtime they just role over and die on us. Eirman, Amine, Parris, Kemmer, Warner, Brucki all were dead on their feet mid-way through 3rd qtr. and our guys still have plenty in the tank to keep going! That is what separates this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
Good point when referencing dual meets but when looking at tournaments I think we have a bigger edge

PS - I think AB might be growing a horn as we speakaul meets but

I was in section B. The beer can that was tossed at the Penn State team after the C* bout came from section C.
I will admit that a few Iowa fans disapproved, however I don't think they found the guy. Why people sitting around him didn't point him out is beyond belief.
Beer cans? Surley you jest. Plastic cups are the norm in all sporting venues I attend, just because of this exact reason. I thought they were outlawed years ago in civilized society. Maybe in the outback they serve fans beer in cans and bottles, but no where I attend sporting events. SMH.

Beer cans? Surley you jest. Plastic cups are the norm in all sporting venues I attend, just because of this exact reason. I thought they were outlawed years ago in civilized society. Maybe in the outback they serve fans beer in cans and bottles, but no where I attend sporting events. SMH.
So in all of your wisdom and experience you don't think any Iowa fans snuck in a few Busch Latte's into the arena. One advantage to being married to a 450 lb farm girl is that you can fit a six pack under the wiring of her bra.

Yep, they are the newer cans that are shaped like bottles.

So in all of your wisdom and experience you don't think any Iowa fans snuck in a few Busch Latte's into the arena. One advantage to being married to a 450 lb farm girl is that you can fit a six pack under the wiring of her bra.
My bad. If they are drinking Busch and have a 450 lb farm girl wife, getting caught smuggling beer into CHA is likely the least of their worries. BTW, where I come from that wife would definately qualify as a Heifer. Carry on. PS: Are you saying they DO NOT serve beer in cans at CHA??

No smuggling needed, they sell them in Carver! Along with ice cream

BTW, the ice cream line was longer, but that might be due to service per person taking longer, as well as refilling the machine occasionally, I witnessed it needing to be refilled twice while in line.

My take(s):
The Good:
Was great to get a team W after we should have had one there 2 yrs ago.
The class shown by our wrestlers after wins and losses, this includes our coaches.
The ice cream, though our server said "enjoy the game".
The Ugly:
Intoxicated fans and the foul language. (I like beer, but ppl were being overserved.) A fan fell going UP the stairs beside me. Lack of ushers equals intoxicated fans getting up to use the restroom every 15 minutes and walking in front of you during matches.
Lack of class by their fans (e.g. booing when PSU enters the arena; did not see the beer can thrown but heard fans talking about it when exiting), their wrestlers (e.g. DeSanto putting his hands on the ref. How is this allowed?), and the antics of their coaches.
The refereeing, the timekeeper running the clocks, the challenge reviews (honestly, I believe this will always stink until they stop having referees review their own calls).
After being there last 2 matchups, I'm glad I had the opportunity to go and experience it all, but honestly have zero desire to return.
P.S. We got there 90 min early when the doors opened and walked around the top, and ppl watched for quite a while. I counted 8 ppl total in blue and white PSU gear.

Last edited:
Lack of ushers equals intoxicated fans getting up to use the restroom every 15 minutes and walking in front of you during matches.
I feel your pain.

Experience has taught me to never buy a ticket without studying the seat location in relation to the nearest aisle and view of the event.

I think there is little that ruins the enjoyment of a fan intent on watching a sporting event than near constant concession/bathroom traffic. Perhaps being surrounded by drunken belligerent idiots, who typically aren't regular season ticket holders, is as bad. But that's beyond one's control and seems more easily ignored.

Reactions: d-1980
My take(s):
The Good:
Was great to get a team W after we should have had one there 2 yrs ago.
The class shown by our wrestlers after wins and losses, this includes our coaches.
The ice cream, though our server said "enjoy the game".
The Ugly:
Intoxicated fans and the foul language. (I like beer, but ppl were being overserved.) A fan fell going UP the stairs beside me. Lack of ushers equals intoxicated fans getting up to use the restroom every 15 minutes and walking in front of you during matches.
Lack of class by their fans (e.g. booing when PSU enters the arena; did not see the beer can thrown but heard fans talking about it when exiting), their wrestlers (e.g. DeSanto putting his hands on the ref. How is this allowed?), and the antics of their coaches.
The refereeing, the timekeeper running the clocks, the challenge reviews (honestly, I believe this will always stink until they stop having referees review their own calls).
After being there last 2 matchups, I'm glad I had the opportunity to go and experience it all, but honestly have zero desire to return.
P.S. We got there 90 min early when the doors opened and walked around the top, and ppl watched for quite a while. I counted 8 ppl total in blue and white PSU gear.
What section were you in? HL and myself were in HH. There was one annoying crap talking fan that walked up and down a few times but most fans in our section were pretty good.

Reactions: hlstone and d-1980
What section were you in? HL and myself were in HH. There was one annoying crap talking fan that walked up and down a few times but most fans in our section were pretty good.
We were in JJ. I got aisle seats on purpose, but that may have ended up being a bad move ;-)
We quietly cheered for Kaleb Young as he's local (to us), so long as no bonus points.

Max needs to work on being nicer when he beats hawks tho….

Looked like he just wasn't about to lose two matches in a row to wrestlers he outranked. Also could've been ticked about no escape / reversal points being awarded earlier in the match when it appeared he should've had at least one and quite possibly both. Put those two things together and you have a wrestler who's not particularly interested in being "nice" when both his bout and his team's match are on the line.

Doubt Warner was in much of a mood to hug him, a la Eierman / Lee, going thru the post-match handshakes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 86PSUPaul
We were in JJ. I got aisle seats on purpose, but that may have ended up being a bad move ;-)
We quietly cheered for Kaleb Young as he's local (to us), so long as no bonus points.
We were close in hotel and arena seats. We went to your hotel bar after and did see two PSU fans at the end of the bar but never chatted.

Reactions: d-1980
I don't feel like we undperformed at all. I think, from a coach's perspective, I can see why Cael was less than thrilled with the match for a few reasons though (with the reasons really only impacting the result at 285).

Reactions: nitlion6 and mcpat
The only Iowa fans I know are on this board so I assume it has to be one of @WildTurk @js8793 @jrod65 or @jmadden1998 that threw the beer.

jrod65 is too nice
jmadden1998 is too goofy
js8793 is too focused on analyzing the match

so ....

Ha Ha, got you fooled!!!!

Unfortunately, I wasn't in attendance. Was stuck at home with Covid(no lingering health concerns), so had to watch on tv. Kind of funny that when I told my boss about testing positive, his main concern was how I was coping with missing out on the PSU meet....

Reactions: McScoreley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT