ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 3 - Match/discussion thread

backdrft76

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
Good morning Penn State Wrestling Fans! And just like that, another Team Championship is in the books. Congrats to all of the Wrestlers, Coaches, Support staff, and families. It's been another great year!

Feel free to use this thread for today's match discussions and PBP's.

Today's schedule:

11 AM EDT (ESPNU and ESPN+):
Consi Semi-final Matches:
149: #7 T.Kasak vs. #1 R.Lovett (NEB)
184: #6 B.Truax vs. #4 Munoz (ORST)

The winner advances to 3rd place match and the loser wrestles for 5th.

7 PM EDT (ESPN and ESPN+):
Finals Matches:
141: #2 B.Bartlett vs. #1 J.Mendez (OHST)
157: #1 L.Haines vs. #2 J.Teemer (ASU)
165: #2 M.Mesenbrink vs. #4 D.Carr (ISU)
174: #9 C.Starocci vs. #6 R.Welsh (OHST)
197: #1 A.Brooks vs. #2 T.Hidlay (NCST)
285: #1 G.Kerkvliet vs. #10 L.Davidson (MICH)

The Trophy Presentation will be streamed on ESPN+.

While it's not all about the team scoring record, it should be noted that it is in play (170). PSU currently has 148 points. 33 points are available in today's matches (plus any bonus):
  • Finals win = 4 placement points, 0 advancement points
  • Consi semi win = 3 placement points, .5 advancement points
  • 3rd or 5th win = 1 placement point
  • Plus any bonus
Another record that's in play: In 1986, Iowa won by 73.75 points. PSU currently leads by 83.5.

Lastly, thanks again to @SlipperyPete12 for his PBP's this weekend. Great job! And to everyone else for their informative posts as well!

Last edited:
Wonder where Lovett’s head will be after his coach made one of the dumbest decisions a coach has ever made in any sport in history.

I mean the other guy just concedes the escape point in the 2nd and gifts you a 1-0 lead in the 3rd period after you get your escape, but you know better. Guy needs to worry more about decisions and less about what Cael does.

125:
Final: 3 Ayala vs 8 Figueroa
Cons SF: 12 Noto vs 15 Smith
Cons SF: 2 Stanch vs 10 Barnett
7th Place: 5 Volk vs 23 Jordan
(Davis 2-2, R12)

133:

Final: 1 Fix vs 6 Aruba
Cons SF: 5 Ragusin vs 7 Bailey
Cons SF: 2 Crookham vs 8 Frost
7th Place: 3 Orine vs 4 Shawver
(Nagao 3-2, R12)

141:

Final: 1 Mendez vs 2 Bartlett
Cons SF: 3 Woods vs 5 Echemendia
Cons SF: 6 McNeil vs 9 Hardy
7th Place: 4 Jack vs 26 Vombaur

149:
Final: 4 Henson vs 6 Gomez
Cons SF: 1 Lovett vs 7 Kasak
Cons SF: 2 Parco vs 5 Waters
7th Place: 8 Swiderski vs 11 Kinner

157:
Final: 1 Haines vs 2 Teemer
Cons SF: 3 Shapiro vs 12 Andonian
Cons SF: 6 Cardenas vs 7 Cellar
7th Place: 8 Robb vs 10 Franek

165:
Final: 2 Mesenbrink vs 4 Carr
Cons SF: 1 O'Toole vs 20 Garvin
Cons SF: 6 Caliendo vs 7 Olejnik
7th Place: 8 Taylor vs 9 Hall

174:
Final: 6 Welsh vs 9 Starocci
Cons SF: 2 DeVos vs 4 Griffith
Cons SF: 1 Lewis vs 7 Wolak
7th Place: 3 Ruth vs 18 Pasiuk

184:
Final: 1 Keckeisen vs 3 Plott
Cons SF: 4 Munoz vs 6 Truax
Cons SF: 2 Salazar vs 9 Berge
7th Place: 7 Stewart, Jr vs 25 Key

197:
Final: 1 Brooks vs 2 Hidlay
Cons SF: 5 Cardenas vs 12 Elam
Cons SF: 3 Tanner vs 8 Buchanan
7th Place: 4 Beard vs 9 Little

285:
Final: 1 Kerkvliet vs 10 Davison
Cons SF: 4 Schultz vs 6 Elam
Cons SF: 3 Hendrickson vs 9 Feldman
7th Place: 7 Chadiali vs 13 Slavikouski

Last edited:
Stupid Stats and Observations:

• Half the All-Americans at 125 are double-digit seeds (no one is surprised)
  • All the All-Americans at 133 are top 8 seeds
  • There is a double-digit seeded All-American at every weight except 133
  • Most common finalist seeds:
    • 1 (six)
    • 2 (four)
    • 6 (three)
    • 3 and 4 (two each)
    • 8, 9 and 10 (one each)

Last edited:
Leading individual scorers (from
Penn State Wrestling Club website):

Points Per Individual
Aaron Brooks (Penn State)23
Levi Haines (Penn State)22
Parker Keckeisen (Northern Iowa)21
Dustin Plott (Oklahoma State)20.5
Beau Bartlett (Penn State)20
Trent Hidlay (North Carolina State)20
Vito Arujau (Cornell)20
Jesse Mendez (Ohio State)19.5
Mitchell Mesenbrink (Penn State)19.5
Lucas Davison (Michigan)19

Finalists by School:

6 Penn State
2 Michigan
2 Arizona State
2 Ohio State
2 Oklahoma State
1 Iowa
1 Iowa State
1 Cornell
1 VA Tech
1 NC State
1 Northern Iowa

Not a lie, the less obvious matchups I was most worried about when I saw the brackets were

Figs, Plott and Welch :-/

Bonus Points by School (teams with 20+ total points):

31.0 Penn State
17.5 Cornell
15.0 Iowa
15.0 Iowa State
13.5 NC State
11.0 Nebraska
11.0 Northern Iowa
10.0 West Virginia
9.5 Ohio State
9.5 South Dakota State
9.0 Missouri
8.5 Michigan
7.5 Oklahoma State
7.0 Wisconsin
6.5 VA Tech
6.0 Arizona State
5.5 Lehigh
5.5 Stanford
3.0 Rutgers
1.0 Minnesota

Not bad for a bunch of ankle-riding stallers.

Not a lie, the less obvious matchups I was most worried about when I saw the brackets were

Figs, Plott and Welch :-/
Animation Lying GIF

I know you guys in KC are pumped up for today’s action, but here’s my situation in central CA. (Bear in mind that I’m 73 years old). It’s raining outside, I’m sitting here with my gas log fireplace going and two kitties sleeping next to me. Getting ready to watch Day 3 of the NCAA tournament in 45 minutes and Penn State already has the team title in the bag. For me, it doesn’t get any better than this!

@1AA - how is your weather in Eastern WA?

I know you guys in KC are pumped up for today’s action, but here’s my situation in central CA. (Bear in mind that I’m 73 years old). It’s raining outside, I’m sitting here with my gas log fireplace going and two kitties sleeping next to me. Getting ready to watch Day 3 of the NCAA tournament in 45 minutes and Penn State already has the team title in the bag. For me, it doesn’t get any better than this!

@1AA - how is your weather in Eastern WA?
Just got over a week of record highs. Almost 70° daily. Sky is gray and rain turns to snow by monday🤘.
Lost my wrestling partner/son today. Yesterday right before Kasaks 30 sec pin we got a call for a falling module to go to wildfire in Virginia. He spent the rest of day gathering up gear but watched semis with me. He's on road now and is planning on watching on his phone.

Wonder where Lovett’s head will be after his coach made one of the dumbest decisions a coach has ever made in any sport in history.

I mean the other guy just concedes the escape point in the 2nd and gifts you a 1-0 lead in the 3rd period after you get your escape, but you know better. Guy needs to worry more about decisions and less about what Cael does.
What happened in that match? Watched last night on tape delay and could not figure out.

In a 0-0 match, Lovett chose top for 3rd period. Henson escaped and won 1-0.
Many Iowa fans are furious at Brands for equivalent stupidity. Kennedy was up by 1 with choice in the 3rd against Lewis - went neutral (who knew Mekhi was so good on top?). Got taken down, escaped and lost by 1.

“Period 3: Neutral start. Lewis scores a takedown and takes a 5-3 lead. Kennedy scores an escape and closes the gap to one point. Kennedy shoots a takedown late, but Lewis holds him and wins 5-4.”

That’s Tom Ryan-esque big brain stuff

I missed the Lovett match.
What was the coaching screw-up referenced above?
In a 0-0 match, Lovett chose top for 3rd period. Henson escaped and won 1-0.
In all fairness, Manning was a bit distracted. He was busy tweeting about how unfair it was for the NCAA to allow Starocci into the tournament.

7 Kasak vs 1 Lovett
149 Consi SF

Tyler ankle pick and quick finish. 3-0 early. Lovett up and has Kasak’s leg up in air. Going for reversal. No escape so Kasak accumulates riding. Kasak somehow continues to fight it off. They go OOB and an escape is called. Nebraska challenges; they want the reversal. No reversal. 3-1 on the restart. Riding time is 0:52. Kasak the aggressor. Kasak shoots and gets another quick finish. 6-1. OOB but Kasak dinged up on it. No injury time taken. Caution Kasak on top on restart. Riding goes over a minute. Lovett to his feet and looks like an escape but no call. OOB. 6-1 with 0:15 to go. Rides him out with a mat return.. 6-1 with 1:39 riding time.

Kasak chooses neutral. Kasak poked in eye. Break in action. 1:28 to go. Trade shots. Russian tie Kasak. Kasak in deep again and another TD. Holy sh!t. It’s 9-1 fellas. 1:59 riding time with 0:40 to go on an OOB restart. What am I watching!?!?! Riding hard. Rides him out with a mat return. 9-1 after two with 2:39 riding time.

Lovett chooses neutral. Lovett pushes Kasak around. Kasak on knees underneath front to front. OOB with 1:14 to go. A minute to go. Riding point is clinched. 45 secs to go. No stall calls. 30 to go. Stall warning. 10-1 Kasak beats the 1 seed Lovett!!!!

What did I just see!?!?!?

Wow!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT