ADVERTISEMENT

POST-MATCH THREAD: PSU Beats Iowa

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
It’s hard to tell from the live match thread, but PSU won last night folks! Took down Iowa, in Carver, after a long hiatus. The “kitties” went Veni, Vidi, Vici on the hawks and remain the team to beat.

We had a 125 start us off and set the tone! Remember when Bo wouldn’t take “no bonus” for an answer against Myles Martin in Rec during the “dual
of the century”? Hildebrandt’s effort last night was very reminiscent of that mindset. Great to see.

What else? Post your positives, there were plenty to enjoy . . .

RBY went to school last night, but didn't get schooled. Everyone and their brother knew that ADS would adjust from the fireman's, if RBY took the left arm away. ADS showed RBY every adjustment. And RBY learned. ADS has got to have serious doubts about ever beating RBY, despite the loser death stare.

RBY went to school last night, but didn't get schooled. Everyone and their brother knew that ADS would adjust from the fireman's, if RBY took the left arm away. ADS showed RBY every adjustment. And RBY learned. ADS has got to have serious doubts about ever beating RBY, despite the loser death stare.
RBY hasnt even begun to beat ADS, he didnt show him much at all last night and yes, the stall hits were deserved.

Some of my thoughts:

I have less concern about RBY after last night than before - not that there was a concern, but DeSanto HAS beaten him before and you always have that "nagging" feeling. DeSanto is clearly a level below RBY IMO - last night seems to be best case for him. I just don't see a situation where DeSanto is scoring from neutral without a clear RBY mistake which rarely, rarely happens.

I feel the same re: 174 - despite Carter looking really good, there is always that element of doubt because let's face it, last year you would have to lean Kemerer in a best of five. But despite the close score, CS has clearly jumped a level and is the superior guy moving forward. Old man Kemerer still is a bit wily, but give me CS all day long as a betting man.

Obviously, last night was great for Dean, but more importantly, that was exactly the match that Warner wants to wrestle - early TD and then sit on the lead, which he is excellent at - and Dean was able to score the win.

Really don't agree with everyone who is putting BB up a few levels when he heads to 141 next year - been thinking this for a while and last night confirms it for me. He's clearly not a threat to AA at 149 - Murin is just better than him at this point. He's had two years up here now. You give one of the top 141s a half a season up a weight and they are not matching up like that with Murin. BB needs a lot of work in more than just getting to the right weight class to be a contender.

Marinelli is probably a bad matchup for Berge, but Berge was completely done in the 3rd. He is what I expected - R16/R12 type with best-case low podium with a great bracket. Needs another month to get his sea-legs but that is not going to give him a huge bump this late in his career.

AB looked like he gassed about 1/2 way through the match. Maybe an adrenaline dump, especially after CS great match and his more active than usual first period.

Not concerned about the two failed upper body attempts by Kerk, but the match brought out two things to me. First, Iowa clearly had a plan after seeing his snatch attempts against Parris and forced Kerk to the opposite side where he is not as comfortable. Secondly, the thigh-pry ride was clearly still a problem for Kerk, it didn't look like he was even attacking it correctly although that could have had something to do with Cassiopi's strength. That is going to be the blueprint against him going forward by the top guys - he's going to need to adjust.

Kind of a brain fart by Nick in the last 20 seconds with the match wrapped, he did the last thing you want to do against Eierman, but managing a match is not really what Nick does - which usually is a good thing for him. Eierman is just a dangerous guy to wrestle - he's always a threat.

Feel really good about us after last night. I was worried about the outcome - really felt that last night was a toss-up given where it was and how that was going to affect some of the close matchups. We could have lost last night and I would have still felt pretty good that we were going to come out on top later in the year. But that was a great performance in a place that throws adversity at you. Stay injury-free and we're in great shape. I don't see any Iowa guys that wrestled last night that I think are top of the podium, and it's not a stretch to see them shut out of the finals. Their 157 is really struggling, 149 is a low podium ceiling, and even their top guys look very vulnerable. On the other hand, I feel really good about our chances of having a bunch of guys wrestle on Saturday night. It shouldn't be surprising given our history, but you should never take it for granted because of how difficult it is.

It seemed like RBYs goal was to just hang out, take care of business, and have some fun frustrating ADS. Especially when he started playing toesies. I was rolling during that sequence. RBY is so in his head, and knows it. No need to show anything this round.

I thought it was a better experience for the team as a whole than would've been the case if they'd beaten Iowa as soundly as they beat Michigan. Everyone walked away with something to work on, yet the team still came away with a victory in as hostile environment as there is in college wrestling for visitors. The team gains some confidence while no one individual can feel like they can coast through March. If they went in thinking they had breathing room, they left knowing they have to be better. Give the Brands some credit for scouting and adjusting to our guys' strengths, especially evident at HWT, I thought most of them wrestled as well as you're going to see them wrestle.

I've come to realize that a significant amount of Hawkeye fans start calling for "Twoooo" even when there isn't action even close to an actual takedown. I don't know if they can't see the mat because of the size of CHA, trying to influence the ref for points, or if it's maybe a lack of knowledge what a takedown really is. They call themselves the best fan base, but really with the calls for "twoooo" when it isn't even close or the "whooo" thing when Cass is wrestling, what they've accomplished is most annoying fan base.

Watched some clips this morning on big10 channel. They were going through the handshake line after the match and saw Eiereman shake Nick’s hand and gave him a hug. Thought that was a nice gesture.
I thought that was a class gesture as well. Probably the only one by the Iowa team. I was pissed as hell that Rivera was letting DB bags like DeSanto and Marinelli slap and aggressively push our wrestlers after the whistle constantly. There should have been points given to us for unsportsmanlike conduct. All our guys kicked ass and acted with class at all times.

I have less concern about RBY after last night than before - not that there was a concern, but DeSanto HAS beaten him before and you always have that "nagging" feeling. DeSanto is clearly a level below RBY IMO - last night seems to be best case for him. I just don't see a situation where DeSanto is scoring from neutral without a clear RBY mistake which rarely, rarely happens.
I agree with that. It was almost as if RBY was intent on making last night about ADS being unable to score on him than proving to ADS that he could score points, which there's already enough evidence of. RBY is quick enough that if he doesn't want you on his legs, you're not getting to his legs, at least that easily. ADS was in deep over and over, and RBY seemed more than content with that.

It seemed like RBYs goal was to just hang out, take care of business, and have some fun frustrating ADS. Especially when he started playing toesies. I was rolling during that sequence. RBY is so in his head, and knows it. No need to show anything this round.
This is such a weird mindset. Don’t get the “no need to show anything” thought process. They’ve both seen everything from each other. RBY is on another level than Desanto. The mindset should be to take it to him. The only way Desanto stands even a slim chance of taking out RBY is if he lets it be a one takedown match and Desanto steals one at the end. If RBY wrestles, he’s 4+ points better every day.

RBY hasnt even begun to beat ADS, he didnt show him much at all last night and yes, the stall hits were deserved.
Cael and RBY love to play with DeSanto now! They know how to handle him. They weren't going to show him anything last night. Just go and win the decision and let him stew in it. They will show him a little more at the Big 10s and then let it loose at Nationals with the arm behind his back or something else that will mess with his head and cause him to overreact and fall right into the trap like last year! LOL! Better make sure he is taking his meds because I predict a complete mental breakdown by that dickhead!

This is such a weird mindset. Don’t get the “no need to show anything” thought process. They’ve both seen everything from each other. RBY is on another level than Desanto. The mindset should be to take it to him. The only way Desanto stands even a slim chance of taking out RBY is if he lets it be a one takedown match and Desanto steals one at the end. If RBY wrestles, he’s 4+ points better every day.
Hey crabby, I guess your “source” was right about Ayala. Too bad I was banned in HR, I was gonna have more fun with them about you knowing more about their team than they do. Lol

I’m not so sure — our top guys have had a tendency over the years to improve on existing tools/strategies and develop a new one or two for the big stage. Not always, but enough that it seems plausible to me that they’ll refrain from throwing the kitchen sink at a repeat opponent in Rd 1.

Of course, I have no way of knowing for fact how RBY was feeling last night. Just seemed like he was playing with his food with minimal exertion.

Loved everything about last night. All positive;
-- All the guys, both teams, came to wrestle and put on a show.
-- From my big comfy chair and big screen, it sure looked like the fans at CHA were doing what all fans at a home match should do; support their team. Not a problem from me re. the calls for "twooooo" or "stalllllling". It's what they do, and our guys know it. Frankly, they out-fan us way too often. Great environment for wrestling. Looking forward to hlstone & PSUPaul's report.
-- Fans must remember that the guy across the starting line has the same desire to win as our guy. Nothing is a given at the level of wrestling we saw last night. Again the show was great, with a positive being that each guy now returns to the room with a list of things to work on.

I thought that was a class gesture as well. Probably the only one by the Iowa team. I was pissed as hell that Rivera was letting DB bags like DeSanto and Marinelli slap and aggressively push our wrestlers after the whistle constantly. There should have been points given to us for unsportsmanlike conduct. All our guys kicked ass and acted with class at all times.
That’s what got me as well. I always was pro-Marinelli (except when wrestling Cenzo, ofc) but not after that match. I expect that behavior from ADS.

I’m not so sure — our top guys have had a tendency over the years to improve on existing tools/strategies and develop a new one or two for the big stage. Not always, but enough that it seems plausible to me that they’ll refrain from throwing the kitchen sink at a repeat opponent in Rd 1.

Of course, I have no way of knowing for fact how RBY was feeling last night. Just seemed like he was playing with his food with minimal exertion.
I agree with you he was just playing with Desanto, I just don’t know why he’d do that. Desanto is never going to beat him. I don’t think he needs to save his special moves for the big stage.

RBY took out another executive suite in the space he has already has rent free in ADS' head.

He kinda showed it after Karachla beat him last week. Was running his mouth afterward how he was gonna get him next time.
He and his overly aggressive wife are dbags. I can't stand those freakin cross-eyes of his they drive me nuts! I will REALLY enjoy watching him do his annual flop at Nationals this year again!!! The "BULL" ZERO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS! LOL! Bull my ass! More like overrated Hefer!

I agree but I want to belive RBY wanted in his head. Everyone knows ADs is mental and getting in his head in January will cause a full on circus in March.

I agree with you he was just playing with Desanto, I just don’t know why he’d do that. Desanto is never going to beat him. I don’t think he needs to save his special moves for the big stage.
I figure it was RBY either being off for whatever reason and going quarter-throttle, or just waging psychological warfare.

Plus, we know that schools (schools!) are colluding to trigger ADS for a permanent suspension.

He and his overly aggressive wife are dbags. I can't stand those freakin cross-eyes of his they drive me nuts! I will REALLY enjoy watching him do his annual flop at Nationals this year again!!! The "BULL" ZERO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS! LOL! Bull my ass! More like overrated Hefer!
Get out of here with this BS.

To those capable of rational thought . . . I’d posit that it’s probably good for Marinelli to develop an edge and some meanness — he may need that for the stretch run. Can’t fault him for it. This is his last ride.

And yes, I did cringe when he clubbed Berge a couple times, but that’s only because of Berge’s concussion history. Berge has made the decision to be out there, and so he is going to be subject to the same rough stuff everyone else is within the rules. His call.

It’s hard to tell from the live match thread, but PSU won last night folks! Took down Iowa, in Carver, after a long hiatus. The “kitties” went Veni, Vidi, Vici on the hawks and remain the team to beat.

We had a 125 start us off and set the tone! Remember when Bo wouldn’t take “no bonus” for an answer against Myles Martin in Rec during the “dual
of the century”? Hildebrandt’s effort last night was very reminiscent of that mindset. Great to see.

What else? Post your positives, there were plenty to enjoy . . .
The BIG positive from last night is that NO ONE is touching us this year! Start engraving that NC trophy with Penn State!

One thing that just stands out these past two weeks is how superior our conditioning is over everyone else! The Iowa big three of Eirman, Kemmer and Warner just look OLD and Tired out there! Eirman bascially collapsed at the start of overtime. He was done sucking wind while Lee was ready to keep going. Brands threw that brick to save Kemmer and give him a breather. I thought they were going to bring an oxygen cart out there for him! He had no strength or stamina to fight off Carter's ride there. Same thing with Warner. Max was just waiting like a snake playing with his prey. His conditioning is amazing! Warner was completely out of gas at the end of the 2nd period and Max knew and pounced on him and he couldn't defend himself! Same thing happend last week v. Michigan. Guys like Parris, Amine and Brucki were dying by the start of 3rd period and our guys were just getting started! Once again Cael is the MASTA!!! No one prepares a team better for combat and we kick everyone ass with CLASS!

This is such a weird mindset.
I can see that it could seem like rationalizing. I've heard Cael talk about wrestling a match in such a way that the opponent is mentally defeated before he steps on the mat against you again. I would think more scoring by RBY or just stifling Austin could fit that bill.

I can see that it could seem like rationalizing. I've heard Cael talk about wrestling a match in such a way that the opponent is mentally defeated before he steps on the mat against you again. I would think more scoring by RBY or just stifling Austin could fit that bill.
I think majoring or pinning him would do a better job of that.

More to follow when home and not tapping on my cell phone, highlight pre-start was meeting Gabe Dean in the ice cream line. HL and myself got selfies, he was sporting a NLWC shirt
At one point of the match the wrestlers we facing each other and the guy in front yelled “two”. I said seriously? He seemed a bit embarrassed and said he was just joking. But I think he was just covering!

Also the yells during Cass’s bout were annoying, and then fans leaving at the start of his bout. Though the guy in front did have a three hour drive home.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT