ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-urban-meyer-step-ohio-state-head-coach-123250805.html
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down and will coach his final game in the Rose Bowl, sources told Yahoo Sports.

A myriad of factors contributed to Meyer’s decision, but sources say foremost among them was his happiness with the state of the Ohio State program he inherited seven years ago. Meyer, 54, will be replaced by Ryan Day, the 39-year-old offensive coordinator who served as Ohio State’s interim coach earlier this season. The university will announce Day as the permanent replacement on Tuesday, and the team was scheduled to be informed in a meeting early Tuesday morning.

With the Buckeyes coming off back-to-back Big Ten titles, Meyer views this as a similar transition to Oklahoma in 2017 when Bob Stoops handed over the Sooner program to Lincoln Riley.

The Rose Bowl against Washington on Jan. 1 will mark Meyer’s last game, a fitting ending for an Ohio native who grew up watching Woody Hayes coach in Rose Bowls. Meyer has never coached in the Rose Bowl, and he’ll enter it with a record of 186-32.

Meyer’s career helped define a generation of college football, as he helped usher the spread offense into the mainstream by leading Utah to an undefeated season and Fiesta Bowl victory in 2004. Meyer went on to win two BCS titles at Florida, where he coached Tim Tebow to the Heisman Trophy and dueled with Nick Saban and Les Miles to help fuel the rise of the SEC.

Meyer closed his career in Columbus, where he led the Buckeyes to the 2014 national title and finished his seven seasons 82-9 with a winning percentage just over 90 percent, a 7-0 record against rival Michigan and a 54-4 record in regular season Big Ten play.

Meyer finishes with three national championships – two BCS titles at Florida and a College Football Playoff title at Ohio State. He also led two other undefeated seasons separate from the title winners – Utah in 2004 and Ohio State in 2012. He can still add to his 11-3 bowl record in Pasadena.

The timing of the announcement so soon after the regular season came because Ohio State officials wanted to be open and transparent with recruits, sources said, as coaches are out on the road this week putting together the 2019 class. Ohio State has 15 verbal commitments, but the class has been generally static compared to past years as recruits and their families waited on Meyer to address his future.

Part of the reasoning for Meyer stepping down stemmed from his health. He’s endured painful and aggressive headaches as a result of a congenital arachnoid cyst in his brain. He had brain surgery in 2014 to help relieve the pain, but it had returned in spurts the past two seasons and, at times, limited him from performing the job with the required intensity.

The image of Meyer dropped to a knee and hunched over in pain has resonated as one of the dominant images in college football this season. Doctors had begun to caution Meyer about long-term risks.

The decision comes at the end of a tumultuous season for Meyer, as he was suspended for all of summer training camp and the season’s first three weeks in the wake of an investigation into allegations of illegal and illicit behavior by a former assistant coach. A subsequent suspension forced Meyer to miss the season’s first three games.

This was pretty apparent since the second he was suspended by OSU.

OSU will still be in the top tier of the BIG annually, but to think there won't be some drop off when one of the greatest ever retires is obtuse. But how sweet would it be to see them spiral into mediocrity like USC, Texas, Florida, etc.?

This could be a major opportunity for Franklin & Co.

The guys ethics were certainly questionable, and that’s part of his enduring legacy. But give the devil his due, he knew how to win football games.

Reactions: OhioLion
This obviously was the deal he brokered with the administration during that nearly day long meeting. The university is rid of it’s stain from harboring a known wife beating assistant coach and Meyer made a lot of money to assure his very comfortable retirement, if he still remains retired from coaching. I see him going to the broadcast booth for the time being.

Reactions: Vic Vaselino
So is LJ Sr. going to furiously resign and go work for Michigan because they didn't offer the HC job to him?

giphy.gif

Sick again... whatever ... his departure had nothing to do with anything else. Wonder if Mr Teflon hangs it up or goes somewhere else to do it again. Urban has left many legacies along the way, good w-l record.... not much in the way of Character from what I witnessed while living in Gainesville. Funny that second legacy is seldom discussed in the media and for the most part gets swept under the rug. A rare kudos to the few in the press that have actually sought the facts re: Myers leadership and character.

Yup, win at all cost coach who tends to leave programs when people start "looking under the covers." You know he is scared sh*tless that Zach Smith in one of his customary twitter tirades is going to blow the whole thing up by detailing money for recruits and so on. Get out now, let it all calm down, survey the landscape, start a new job if the climate has calmed down. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
OSU will still be in the top tier of the BIG annually, but to think there won't be some drop off when one of the greatest ever retires is obtuse. But how sweet would it be to see them spiral into mediocrity like USC, Texas, Florida, etc.?

This could be a major opportunity for Franklin & Co.
Very much agree. Day seems to be a really good coach, but anyone they can hire is a downgrade from Urban. The guy has an incredible record as a head coach. He has 3 natty’s, lots of cache with recruits and with hiring assistants.

The time is now for PSU. Franklin now becomes the best recruiter in the BIG. We have an opportunity to completely close the talent gap with OSU and even overtake them.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-urban-meyer-step-ohio-state-head-coach-123250805.html
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down and will coach his final game in the Rose Bowl, sources told Yahoo Sports.

A myriad of factors contributed to Meyer’s decision, but sources say foremost among them was his happiness with the state of the Ohio State program he inherited seven years ago. Meyer, 54, will be replaced by Ryan Day, the 39-year-old offensive coordinator who served as Ohio State’s interim coach earlier this season. The university will announce Day as the permanent replacement on Tuesday, and the team was scheduled to be informed in a meeting early Tuesday morning.

With the Buckeyes coming off back-to-back Big Ten titles, Meyer views this as a similar transition to Oklahoma in 2017 when Bob Stoops handed over the Sooner program to Lincoln Riley.

The Rose Bowl against Washington on Jan. 1 will mark Meyer’s last game, a fitting ending for an Ohio native who grew up watching Woody Hayes coach in Rose Bowls. Meyer has never coached in the Rose Bowl, and he’ll enter it with a record of 186-32.

Meyer’s career helped define a generation of college football, as he helped usher the spread offense into the mainstream by leading Utah to an undefeated season and Fiesta Bowl victory in 2004. Meyer went on to win two BCS titles at Florida, where he coached Tim Tebow to the Heisman Trophy and dueled with Nick Saban and Les Miles to help fuel the rise of the SEC.

Meyer closed his career in Columbus, where he led the Buckeyes to the 2014 national title and finished his seven seasons 82-9 with a winning percentage just over 90 percent, a 7-0 record against rival Michigan and a 54-4 record in regular season Big Ten play.

Meyer finishes with three national championships – two BCS titles at Florida and a College Football Playoff title at Ohio State. He also led two other undefeated seasons separate from the title winners – Utah in 2004 and Ohio State in 2012. He can still add to his 11-3 bowl record in Pasadena.

The timing of the announcement so soon after the regular season came because Ohio State officials wanted to be open and transparent with recruits, sources said, as coaches are out on the road this week putting together the 2019 class. Ohio State has 15 verbal commitments, but the class has been generally static compared to past years as recruits and their families waited on Meyer to address his future.

Part of the reasoning for Meyer stepping down stemmed from his health. He’s endured painful and aggressive headaches as a result of a congenital arachnoid cyst in his brain. He had brain surgery in 2014 to help relieve the pain, but it had returned in spurts the past two seasons and, at times, limited him from performing the job with the required intensity.

The image of Meyer dropped to a knee and hunched over in pain has resonated as one of the dominant images in college football this season. Doctors had begun to caution Meyer about long-term risks.

The decision comes at the end of a tumultuous season for Meyer, as he was suspended for all of summer training camp and the season’s first three weeks in the wake of an investigation into allegations of illegal and illicit behavior by a former assistant coach. A subsequent suspension forced Meyer to miss the season’s first three games.

Here's the biggest issue with any of these coaching decisions: The Packers.

Coaching the Packers for most coaches is the stuff of dreams so I suspect that Meyer and Harbaugh's agents will both be active, taking a look at that spot. Meyer can say he feels better or needs a change of scenery. Harbaugh can get out before he's pushed out. We can laugh about it but don't be surprised if Saban's agent takes a look at the Packers opening as well.

Yup, win at all cost coach who tends to leave programs when people start "looking under the covers." You know he is scared sh*tless that Zach Smith in one of his customary twitter tirades is going to blow the whole thing up by detailing money for recruits and so on. Get out now, let it all calm down, survey the landscape, start a new job if the climate has calmed down. Rinse and repeat.

.... and conveniently blame the booster club because as a coach he played....

...a pure con man.

Here's the biggest issue with any of these coaching decisions: The Packers.

Coaching the Packers for most coaches is the stuff of dreams so I suspect that Meyer and Harbaugh's agents will both be active, taking a look at that spot. Meyer can say he feels better or needs a change of scenery. Harbaugh can get out before he's pushed out. We can laugh about it but don't be surprised if Saban's agent takes a look at the Packers opening as well.
I don’t see Saban leaving. He may already be there, but another title or two can make him the undisputed GOAT in college football.

Meyer is from the Cleveland area and the Browns also need a coach. I don’t think it will happen, but one can’t be sure.

I dont think sleepover Jimmy will be at Michigan come 2020.

The floor is Penn State's for the taking. Granted we don't lose any juniors to the draft.

I don’t see Saban leaving. He may already be there, but another title or two can make him the undisputed GOAT in college football.

Meyer is from the Cleveland area and the Browns also need a coach. I don’t think it will happen, but one can’t be sure.

Maybe but it's the Packers.

All bets are off with that particular job. There's a reason McCarthy was there for 13 years - its a premier coaching gig.

Urban had such a great record at OSU for two reasons. Number one, lights out recruiting, overall much better than any other B10 team during his tenure. Second, he was a very good coach who assembled a quality assistant coaching staff that was able to coach up the superior talent on the field. You can’t teach speed, size and agility, but you can help it perform at a high level by proper teaching and mentoring.

Reactions: YorkLion
Urban has an inoperative brain tumor that causes severe headaches. I wish him well and hope something can be done to fix his problem.

That said, CJF should be on the phone today with Urban's best recruits and potentially flip a few of the best ones to us. There would be no point to Narduzzi calling any of Urban's recruits. None of them are low enough to have any interest in pitt.

Urban has an inoperative brain tumor that causes severe headaches. I wish him well and hope something can be done to fix his problem.

That said, CJF should be on the phone today with Urban's best recruits and potentially flip a few of the best ones to us. There would be no point to Narduzzi calling any of Urban's recruits. None of them are low enough to have any interest in pitt.
As I quote Arnold Schwarzenegger, “It is not a tumor.”

It has been reported to be an arachnoid cyst, which rarely cause problems and most are asymptomatc. These are incidentally and not infrequently seen on imaging exams, usually in the middle cranial fossa or posterior fossa. Some, as in Urban’s case, can be symptomatic by causing enough pressure on the adjacent brain to be a problem.

Now the replacement for him could be Stoops from Oklahoma. Is he not an Ohio product with a great resume'. I could see this happening. Also how about one of these guys

Narduzzi Pitt- Many will groan but he has done a decent job at Pitt

Babers Syracuse- Look at the job he has done there. Guy can coach

Herman Texas- Tough to leave one blue blood for another but he has ties to Ohio State

Maybe but it's the Packers.

All bets are off with that particular job. There's a reason McCarthy was there for 13 years - its a premier coaching gig.
Agree, you have the QB and a front office that is well respected. The Brown’s are clearly a worse job by any measure, but let’s not forget Urban’s massive ego. If we can win in Cleveland he will be a Paul Brown like legend in Ohio. I think this crosses his mind.

Not surprised by the announcement....but I am surprised by the timing. With the early signing period for recruits right around the corner, this could impact any player that was still on the fence.

One last time....he's gone to that big Papa John's in the sky. Vaya con dios, mis amigo.

tenor.gif

Memories light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories of the way we were
Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another for the way we were

Now the replacement for him could be Stoops from Oklahoma. Is he not an Ohio product with a great resume'. I could see this happening. Also how about one of these guys

Babers Syracuse- Look at the job he has done there. Guy can coach

Herman Texas- Tough to leave one blue blood for another but he has ties to Ohio State

Guess you missed the part where it is being reported that Ryan Day will take over.

I take the opposite view of this. Yes - it is good for the recruits - but it is also very good for tOSU. There was so much uncertainty. I feel this was done to improve recruiting. There is no a solid plan in place for the future.

No way. When Saban retires, it will not be "good for Bama". Day may turn out to be a very good coach, but the odds that he will be as good as Meyer are less than 5%.

Reactions: acg116
Kudos to him for announcing now and not later in the recruiting cycle.

Who knows, he may forget he announced his intention to step down and keep coaching.

Sure... he followed up his 5-7 season last year with what will likely be a 7-7 season this year. His recruiting has been awful, he acts like a lunatic on the sidelines, and throws his players under the bus. People are going to be lining up to hire him!

Reactions: m48tank
Was this the first Ohio State football coach to "leave on their own terms" since 1950?

Woody Hayes - 1951-1978 - Mike Tyson'd a player as the final straw
Earle Bruce - 1979-1987 - Fired for not meeting expectations
John Cooper - 1988-2000 - Fired for not meeting expectations
Jim Tressel - 2001-2010 - Tattoos

Urban Meyer - "health issues"

No way. When Saban retires, it will not be "good for Bama". Day may turn out to be a very good coach, but the odds that he will be as good as Meyer are less than 5%.
What are the odds that he becomes better than Meyer? One never knows. JoePa succeeded Rip, and arguably was a better coach.

FWIW, the history of tOSU replacing legendary coaches has not gone well. Day will start out with a strong talent base and plenty of good will, but that may not last.

Reactions: step.eng69
Urban had such a great record at OSU for two reasons. Number one, lights out recruiting, overall much better than any other B10 team during his tenure. Second, he was a very good coach who assembled a quality assistant coaching staff that was able to coach up the superior talent on the field. You can’t teach speed, size and agility, but you can help it perform at a high level by proper teaching and mentoring.

There is a 3rd reason
PSU having sanctions and going through transitions and Michigan being down with poor coach choices. both MSU and OSU took full advantage.

Who knows, he may forget he announced his intention to step down and keep coaching.

Sure... he followed up his 5-7 season last year with what will likely be a 7-7 season this year. His recruiting has been awful, he acts like a lunatic on the sidelines, and throws his players under the bus. People are going to be lining up to hire him!
Kelly from Notre Dame was like that at Cincy and he got hired. I do not like the guy just saying what COULD happen if they went after coaches

I'm going to miss having him there. Regardless of what you think about him as a person, I always want the best possible coaches in this division to make this division as interesting as possible. We have so many interesting/fun games to look forward to in this division every year. Every year I look forward to this game more than any other, and I want to beat his team that when we did break through and win in 2016, it felt so good being in that stadium and experiencing that win. Ryan Day may be a great coach, but he is rather unproven, and it is a stretch to say at this point that long term he can keep up what Meyer has built, because pretty much no one can short of Saban. Short term OSU will be largely the same because of the talent that they already have there.

Even if we don't win the division every year, it makes when we do win them that much more satisfying. I'd certainly rather be in this division than, say, the division Clemson is in.

Reactions: acg116
Wish him the best in his retirement, however long it will be. Will be interesting to see what the future holds for Schiano, Billy Davis, Kevin Wilson, LJ, Hartline, and Grinch. Could see at least three moving on. Davis is almost a given.

Reactions: dailybuck777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT