ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down

bplionfan

Jul 1, 2014
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-urban-meyer-step-ohio-state-head-coach-123250805.html
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down and will coach his final game in the Rose Bowl, sources told Yahoo Sports.

A myriad of factors contributed to Meyer’s decision, but sources say foremost among them was his happiness with the state of the Ohio State program he inherited seven years ago. Meyer, 54, will be replaced by Ryan Day, the 39-year-old offensive coordinator who served as Ohio State’s interim coach earlier this season. The university will announce Day as the permanent replacement on Tuesday, and the team was scheduled to be informed in a meeting early Tuesday morning.

With the Buckeyes coming off back-to-back Big Ten titles, Meyer views this as a similar transition to Oklahoma in 2017 when Bob Stoops handed over the Sooner program to Lincoln Riley.

The Rose Bowl against Washington on Jan. 1 will mark Meyer’s last game, a fitting ending for an Ohio native who grew up watching Woody Hayes coach in Rose Bowls. Meyer has never coached in the Rose Bowl, and he’ll enter it with a record of 186-32.

Meyer’s career helped define a generation of college football, as he helped usher the spread offense into the mainstream by leading Utah to an undefeated season and Fiesta Bowl victory in 2004. Meyer went on to win two BCS titles at Florida, where he coached Tim Tebow to the Heisman Trophy and dueled with Nick Saban and Les Miles to help fuel the rise of the SEC.

Meyer closed his career in Columbus, where he led the Buckeyes to the 2014 national title and finished his seven seasons 82-9 with a winning percentage just over 90 percent, a 7-0 record against rival Michigan and a 54-4 record in regular season Big Ten play.

Meyer finishes with three national championships – two BCS titles at Florida and a College Football Playoff title at Ohio State. He also led two other undefeated seasons separate from the title winners – Utah in 2004 and Ohio State in 2012. He can still add to his 11-3 bowl record in Pasadena.

The timing of the announcement so soon after the regular season came because Ohio State officials wanted to be open and transparent with recruits, sources said, as coaches are out on the road this week putting together the 2019 class. Ohio State has 15 verbal commitments, but the class has been generally static compared to past years as recruits and their families waited on Meyer to address his future.

Part of the reasoning for Meyer stepping down stemmed from his health. He’s endured painful and aggressive headaches as a result of a congenital arachnoid cyst in his brain. He had brain surgery in 2014 to help relieve the pain, but it had returned in spurts the past two seasons and, at times, limited him from performing the job with the required intensity.

The image of Meyer dropped to a knee and hunched over in pain has resonated as one of the dominant images in college football this season. Doctors had begun to caution Meyer about long-term risks.

The decision comes at the end of a tumultuous season for Meyer, as he was suspended for all of summer training camp and the season’s first three weeks in the wake of an investigation into allegations of illegal and illicit behavior by a former assistant coach. A subsequent suspension forced Meyer to miss the season’s first three games.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and JoeFi
I truly feel for him if his health is the issue.

That being said, my assumption was he would leave OSU after this season. The green pastures which existed when he started (sanctioned PSU and rudderless Michigan) no longer exist.

I would suggest his next school will be USC or Texas.

LdN

Reactions: Nitwit97

That being said, my assumption was he would leave OSU after this season. The green pastures which existed when he started (sanctioned PSU and rudderless Michigan) no longer exist.

LdN

Hook Em.

Not exactly shocking news. Doubt that there will be much of a drop off short term under Day, if any, but who knows. Day seems to be a very good coach but unsure about how good of a recruiter he is.

I do wonder what LJ's future will be

I called this after his suspension and was told no way because of the $$$$. In my opinion he is still pissed, he didnt think he should have been disciplined. he's also pissed with the AD......he will surface again.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-urban-meyer-step-ohio-state-head-coach-123250805.html
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down and will coach his final game in the Rose Bowl, sources told Yahoo Sports.

A myriad of factors contributed to Meyer’s decision, but sources say foremost among them was his happiness with the state of the Ohio State program he inherited seven years ago. Meyer, 54, will be replaced by Ryan Day, the 39-year-old offensive coordinator who served as Ohio State’s interim coach earlier this season. The university will announce Day as the permanent replacement on Tuesday, and the team was scheduled to be informed in a meeting early Tuesday morning.

With the Buckeyes coming off back-to-back Big Ten titles, Meyer views this as a similar transition to Oklahoma in 2017 when Bob Stoops handed over the Sooner program to Lincoln Riley.

The Rose Bowl against Washington on Jan. 1 will mark Meyer’s last game, a fitting ending for an Ohio native who grew up watching Woody Hayes coach in Rose Bowls. Meyer has never coached in the Rose Bowl, and he’ll enter it with a record of 186-32.

Meyer’s career helped define a generation of college football, as he helped usher the spread offense into the mainstream by leading Utah to an undefeated season and Fiesta Bowl victory in 2004. Meyer went on to win two BCS titles at Florida, where he coached Tim Tebow to the Heisman Trophy and dueled with Nick Saban and Les Miles to help fuel the rise of the SEC.

Meyer closed his career in Columbus, where he led the Buckeyes to the 2014 national title and finished his seven seasons 82-9 with a winning percentage just over 90 percent, a 7-0 record against rival Michigan and a 54-4 record in regular season Big Ten play.

Meyer finishes with three national championships – two BCS titles at Florida and a College Football Playoff title at Ohio State. He also led two other undefeated seasons separate from the title winners – Utah in 2004 and Ohio State in 2012. He can still add to his 11-3 bowl record in Pasadena.

The timing of the announcement so soon after the regular season came because Ohio State officials wanted to be open and transparent with recruits, sources said, as coaches are out on the road this week putting together the 2019 class. Ohio State has 15 verbal commitments, but the class has been generally static compared to past years as recruits and their families waited on Meyer to address his future.

Part of the reasoning for Meyer stepping down stemmed from his health. He’s endured painful and aggressive headaches as a result of a congenital arachnoid cyst in his brain. He had brain surgery in 2014 to help relieve the pain, but it had returned in spurts the past two seasons and, at times, limited him from performing the job with the required intensity.

The image of Meyer dropped to a knee and hunched over in pain has resonated as one of the dominant images in college football this season. Doctors had begun to caution Meyer about long-term risks.

The decision comes at the end of a tumultuous season for Meyer, as he was suspended for all of summer training camp and the season’s first three weeks in the wake of an investigation into allegations of illegal and illicit behavior by a former assistant coach. A subsequent suspension forced Meyer to miss the season’s first three games.

Does he plan to lose the Rose Bowl in Woody fashion?

giphy.gif

LdN

I thought after what went down to start the season that this would be his final one with OSU.
Now since all the information about his brain cyst came out I pretty much figured it was his last.
If he was acting during the MD game he deserves and Emmy.
I know people had a lot of issues with him and with good reason but honestly he doesn't bother me nearly
as much as Harbaugh, Narduzzzi or Dantonio do. I really hate those guys.

I thought after what went down to start the season that this would be his final one with OSU.
Now since all the information about his brain cyst came out I pretty much figured it was his last.
If he was acting during the MD game he deserves and Emmy.
I know people had a lot of issues with him and with good reason but honestly he doesn't bother me nearly
as much as Harbaugh, Narduzzzi or Dantonio do. I really hate those guys.

agreed

"A myriad of factors contributed to Meyer’s decision, but sources say foremost among them was his happiness with the state of the Ohio State program he inherited seven years ago."

I wonder if he is as happy with his decision making and conduct as he is the state of the program. Of course, he first would have to remember those decisions and conduct to assess them.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy

LdN

He’s done coaching.....that’s all, folks!

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Thought this would happen and this actually is following the Florida pattern ... to be honest while I do wish he gets back to better health ... I expect him to lay low at ESPN for a season or two and wait for Brian Kelly to leave ND where he'll take over there next

I hate that he was so absurdly successful. 54-4 in Big Ten games is unreal. Good riddance. Ha!

......finished his seven seasons 82-9 with a winning percentage just over 90 percent, a 7-0 record against rival Michigan and a 54-4 record in regular season Big Ten play.

Tired of this horseshit. That was a crazy run. Like to see JF close the gap between the programs now.

"SCREW HIM!"

Reactions: Kmase21
Thought this would happen and this actually is following the Florida pattern ... to be honest while I do wish he gets back to better health ... I expect him to lay low at ESPN for a season or two and wait for Brian Kelly to leave ND where he'll take over there next

This ^^^^^^

Reactions: Zenophile
Happy he is moving in. He is a great, great football coach. Probably the best in the game, in my opinion. There will be a drop off at Ohio State because they will not have as good of a head coach. Plain and simple.
Now that he’s not a threat to Penn State, I wish him good health and a long, happy retirement.

Reactions: YorkLion
Sick again... whatever ... his departure had nothing to do with anything else. Wonder if Mr Teflon hangs it up or goes somewhere else to do it again. Urban has left many legacies along the way, good w-l record.... not much in the way of Character from what I witnessed while living in Gainesville. Funny that second legacy is seldom discussed in the media and for the most part gets swept under the rug. A rare kudos to the few in the press that have actually sought the facts re: Myers leadership and character.

Kudos to him for announcing now and not later in the recruiting cycle.

I take the opposite view of this. Yes - it is good for the recruits - but it is also very good for tOSU. There was so much uncertainty. I feel this was done to improve recruiting. There is no a solid plan in place for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT