ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from spring drills: Receivers have something to prove; Fleming gets high praise

Jerry

May 29, 2001
From an SI piece (link below) yesterday:

>>“I think that’s a position that’s going to surprise some people, because no one is going to talk about them, and I think they wear that chip on their shoulder, actually,” Kotelnicki said. “... Thy’re like, ‘We'll show you.’”

KeAndre Lambert-Smith and Harrison Wallace III are the returning veterans, with Lambert-Smith coming off a 53-catch season that ended disappointingly. He caught just two passes over the last four games and wasn’t targeted in the Peach Bowl against Ole Miss. Wallace, meanwhile, missed five games due to injury but returned in the bowl game to make four receptions. Kotelnicki said he has seen a new purpose across the board from the position.

“They have committed themselves to improving daily,” the coordinator said, “and it’s very evident. We have challenged them physically and mentally more than they have [been in the past], at least according to their feedback. They’re responding super well. We’re making it really hard on them, and they’re really digging into it.”

Added Franklin, “The whole group, from what I’ve seen, is improved. … I still would like to see a group of guys really separate themselves from the pack.” Note the last part, a prodding for someone to take over as the room’s alpha.

Fleming, the Ohio State transfer, earned the respect of teammates, and strength coach Chuck Losey, for his commitment and attention to detail during winter workouts. That has extended into spring drills, as Fleming continues to deliver a work ethic prized by his coaches. Even if Fleming doesn’t assume the No. 1 receiver role, he’s building a strong case to be a major part of the offense.

In describing Fleming’s assimilation into the program. Franklin also opened up about the recruiting process five years ago.

“He’s been great, and the way that it ended the first time, I wasn’t necessarily sure how it would all play itself out,” Franklin said. “Even during the [portal] recruiting process when we had our first conversations, I didn’t know how it was going to play itself out. The guys love him, he’s been awesome as a teammate, he’s been really coachable. I think he has been able to move on. There’s been no talk about the past.

“... For both parties, and I don’t want to speak for Julian, but it seems really good in terms of energy, morale and expectations. He’s been a really good addition, and I know he’s earned the coaches’ and players’ trust really quickly.”<<

Same things that were said last Spring. Nice to hear, but until they do it on the field in games ..... Would be nice to see some of that improvement in the B/W game to start with.
I suspect the WR room had a problem with Wallace being hurt all year and KLS getting banged up down the stretch.

But more so, I think the scheme hurt the passing game. When Wallace got hurt, that left WR to KLS and the two xfers. One of those wasn't in camp in the spring so practice was limited. I think the route selection was conditional on what the defense did at the snap and this resulted in a LOT of miscommunication between Allar and the WRs. That led to MU being fired mid-season.

I am encouraged by the WRs being in camp. I am hopeful that they all stay healthy. And I am enthusiastic about coach K's offense which emphasizes pre-snap movement to confuse the D. This makes the offense easier to run and makes the defense react.

I suspect the WR room had a problem with Wallace being hurt all year and KLS getting banged up down the stretch.

But more so, I think the scheme hurt the passing game. When Wallace got hurt, that left WR to KLS and the two xfers. One of those wasn't in camp in the spring so practice was limited. I think the route selection was conditional on what the defense did at the snap and this resulted in a LOT of miscommunication between Allar and the WRs. That led to MU being fired mid-season.

I am encouraged by the WRs being in camp. I am hopeful that they all stay healthy. And I am enthusiastic about coach K's offense which emphasizes pre-snap movement to confuse the D. This makes the offense easier to run and makes the defense react.

I think the lack of production from the wide receivers and their inability to get separation from defenders really got in Drew's head last year. The way college football is played these days, you need a playmaker and deep threat in the passing game to have an offense that can beat the really good teams.

It's nice to hear the coaches say encouraging things about the wide receivers, but as others noted, it's also what you'd expect. KLS pretty much disappeared down the stretch in 2023, and I still haven't heard an explanation as to why. Some people were speculating about attitude issues. Whatever the reason, he didn't look like the go-to guy last year, so it's not clear how he would fill that role this year.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I think the lack of production from the wide receivers and their inability to get separation from defenders really got in Drew's head last year. The way college football is played these days, you need a playmaker and deep threat in the passing game to have an offense that can beat the really good teams.

It's nice to hear the coaches say encouraging things about the wide receivers, but as others noted, it's also what you'd expect. KLS pretty much disappeared down the stretch in 2023, and I still haven't heard an explanation as to why. Some people were speculating about attitude issues. Whatever the reason, he didn't look like the go-to guy last year, so it's not clear how he would fill that role this year.
Agreed. I stated that the Illinois game was very important because it was the first time we played against a quality coach who had some film to study. They played our WRs up close, threw them off their routes, and then guarded the defensive line the front seven to stop our run game. We couldn't get enough time for Allar and the WRs to get open deep against that coverage. Every other opponent did the same thing for the rest of the year.

Allar was not a run threat so the bulk of our offense was on the run. Once you stopped the run, or got us behind the chains, the D took away the short to medium pass by putting the CBs up close to our WRs. The D was betting our WR wouldn't break deep and/or Allar wouldn't have time.

I think coach K's pre-snap motions and formations (with healthy WRs and others with time a spring practice in the system) will yield more options in the passing game.

Reactions: Jerry
We all got burned last season from the WR group thinking they were actually going to be good or even average. Keeping expectations low until they actually deliver some meaningful results on the field and the Blue White game does not count.

Quote: Added Franklin, “The whole group, from what I’ve seen, is improved. … I still would like to see a group of guys really separate themselves from the pack.”

Seems pretty discouraging to me that they are all equal. Poor job of recruiting I guess.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Quote: Added Franklin, “The whole group, from what I’ve seen, is improved. … I still would like to see a group of guys really separate themselves from the pack.”

Seems pretty discouraging to me that they are all equal. Poor job of recruiting I guess.
Yep, just fire everybody!

Reactions: bison13

yes and no. I think it is very possible it wasn't the WRs but the scheme. There is a reason why CJF fired an OC, unprecedented for him, in the middle of the season. I don't know what that was but the lack of a passing game seems to be the most likely issue.

I do agree that we've been weak at WR now for several years after having a lot of success in the position. It has to be some combinaiton of three issues: weak recruits, weak scheme and/or weak development.

Reactions: Gitzit
I still have the images of the replays of OSU's Harrison's catches vs PSU last season. Yes the replays are more close up's, but on some of them there wasn't a DB or LB in the picture. Sure Harrison is a top 5 NFL draft pick, as good of a WR that has been in college football in some time, but PSU's secondary and defense in general was very good. Even against good defenses, in most games WR's for either team end up open on some plays. Drew missed some open guys but on many plays there really wasn't a WR open for a somewhat easy throw, and on the replays receivers were blanketed far too often. Is it talent, coaching or scheme....? I don't believe anyone here knows for sure, but we need Franklin to really know now, not just say the company line that they are all improving.....

I still have the images of the replays of OSU's Harrison's catches vs PSU last season. Yes the replays are more close up's, but on some of them there wasn't a DB or LB in the picture. Sure Harrison is a top 5 NFL draft pick, as good of a WR that has been in college football in some time, but PSU's secondary and defense in general was very good. Even against good defenses, in most games WR's for either team end up open on some plays. Drew missed some open guys but on many plays there really wasn't a WR open for a somewhat easy throw, and on the replays receivers were blanketed far too often. Is it talent, coaching or scheme....? I don't believe anyone here knows for sure, but we need Franklin to really know now, not just say the company line that they are all improving.....

Yup, I'm really hoping for good things from Fleming. Great talent. He had fleeting moments of brilliance with the Buckeyes but was badly hampered by injuries...plus having to compete with the best group of WRs in college football. He definitely won't have the latter issue to contend with at Penn State...and hopefully not the former either.

Yup, I'm really hoping for good things from Fleming. Great talent. He had fleeting moments of brilliance with the Buckeyes but was badly hampered by injuries...plus having to compete with the best group of WRs in college football. He definitely won't have the latter issue to contend with at Penn State...and hopefully not the former either.
Yep, you could have gone to any OSU board over the last few years and it was definitely about injuries with Fleming. Keeping healthy is his biggest issue. The talent is definitely there

Reactions: Jerry
yes and no. I think it is very possible it wasn't the WRs but the scheme. There is a reason why CJF fired an OC, unprecedented for him, in the middle of the season. I don't know what that was but the lack of a passing game seems to be the most likely issue.

I do agree that we've been weak at WR now for several years after having a lot of success in the position. It has to be some combinaiton of three issues: weak recruits, weak scheme and/or weak development.
Dotson was only a few years ago and arguably he may have been the best WR that PSU has produced under Franklin.

Reactions: Obliviax and royboy
Roster says there are 18 WR's. I say let's add 2 more, get to 20 and finally have enough for a productive year.
Attrition by addition!??
There very likely won't be as many scholarship WR's on the rostr in September as there are now. The 3 true freshmen aren't likely leaving but other than those that are projected in the top 4 or 5 the rest are likely trying to show they can cut it in B10 football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT