ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down

Kelly from Notre Dame was like that at Cincy and he got hired. I do not like the guy just saying what COULD happen if they went after coaches
Brian Kelly went undefeated at Cincy....Narducci will never come close to an undefeated season at Pitt.

Yeah, right. OSU is the pillar of doing everything right...Nooooooooooopeee

When Tressel was coach, he told all players who would be drafted in the 1st round that they had to leave OSU for the NFL. Compare that Mark Sanchez and Pete Carroll who tried to convince Sanchez to stay although he would have been drafted in the first round. Even though Nick Bosa left OSU for the draft following his injury, his parents spoke very highly of Meyer. Joe Burrow since leaving OSU has also been very complimentary. Both Tressel and Meyer put the players first.

Ryan Day looks absolutely Fickell-esque to me. I’d be in mourning if I was an OSU fan.

In this era, there’s been Saban and Meyer, and there’s everyone else. Huge loss for the Buckeyes.

Against the NCAA?

Really?

The NCAA has nothing to do with it (which was a very considered move on the part of the P5 conference leaders)

My mistake..,NCAA does not control this..but something drastic will have to happen to effect change.,, it is all about the $$$$ ... so hard to work out various scsenarios with the Bowls unless there is a big win for them..

You hope...
These are the OSU fans that crack me up and spoil the reputation of the rational fans. Someone else said it perfectly...BEST CASE scenario, Day ends up being equal to Urban. That seems unlikely. People that have never been a head coach don't just instantly become on the same level as Saban. So odds are there will be some sort of drop off. Ohio State is still a hugely successful football factory - they are still going to be really good regardless. But to pretend they just keep humming along at Urban Meyer level or higher is foolish. They are still trying to find a coach to replace him down in Florida.

I'm really surprised they are going with an on-the-job training coach again instead of getting someone that has proven they can run a program already.

Reactions: Grass
To be fair I think LJ was toxic because he coached for Joe.

Just think of how things might have been different if our BOT would have fought to defend the reputation of the university. Look at how OSU dealt with spousal abuse issue or the wrestlers accusing their assistant coach of ignoring sexual assault complaints. Not to mention how MSU BOT handled the Nassar issue.

Funny, the OSU and and MSU scandals were way worse, and the "PSU scandal" was non-existent... yet the MSU/OSU repercussions were pretty much non-existent, and PSU got hammered.

Reactions: Omar81 and bdgan
There’s a great USATODAY article just put on their web site saying Urby should have resigned months ago. Fun read!

If someone would LINK it here for the Board, thank you!

Funny, the OSU and and MSU scandals were way worse, and the "PSU scandal" was non-existent... yet the MSU/OSU repercussions were pretty much non-existent, and PSU got hammered.
The Nassar situation at MSU was MUCH worse that what happened at PSU. A lot of athletes/victims reported abuse directly to MSU administrators. NONE of JS's victims reported anything to PSU officials. All PSU administrators got was a second hand report where MM was unsure about what he witnessed. The two cases are not even comparable yet PSU is the school that got hammered.

The reason is that the PSU BOT decided to throw their own people under the bus (without an investigation) instead of defending the honor of the university. The media created a huge payday for themselves since Joe Paterno's name was attached to the mess and the NCAA folded to public pressure.

One thing I'll say about all three scandals is that I seriously doubt that administrators at any of the schools knowingly and intentionally allowed victims to be assaulted. Why would they do that? I'm not defending the administrators. I think they failed miserably. I just think that they failed to fully appreciate what was happening.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-urban-meyer-step-ohio-state-head-coach-123250805.html
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down and will coach his final game in the Rose Bowl, sources told Yahoo Sports.

A myriad of factors contributed to Meyer’s decision, but sources say foremost among them was his happiness with the state of the Ohio State program he inherited seven years ago. Meyer, 54, will be replaced by Ryan Day, the 39-year-old offensive coordinator who served as Ohio State’s interim coach earlier this season. The university will announce Day as the permanent replacement on Tuesday, and the team was scheduled to be informed in a meeting early Tuesday morning.

With the Buckeyes coming off back-to-back Big Ten titles, Meyer views this as a similar transition to Oklahoma in 2017 when Bob Stoops handed over the Sooner program to Lincoln Riley.

The Rose Bowl against Washington on Jan. 1 will mark Meyer’s last game, a fitting ending for an Ohio native who grew up watching Woody Hayes coach in Rose Bowls. Meyer has never coached in the Rose Bowl, and he’ll enter it with a record of 186-32.

Meyer’s career helped define a generation of college football, as he helped usher the spread offense into the mainstream by leading Utah to an undefeated season and Fiesta Bowl victory in 2004. Meyer went on to win two BCS titles at Florida, where he coached Tim Tebow to the Heisman Trophy and dueled with Nick Saban and Les Miles to help fuel the rise of the SEC.

Meyer closed his career in Columbus, where he led the Buckeyes to the 2014 national title and finished his seven seasons 82-9 with a winning percentage just over 90 percent, a 7-0 record against rival Michigan and a 54-4 record in regular season Big Ten play.

Meyer finishes with three national championships – two BCS titles at Florida and a College Football Playoff title at Ohio State. He also led two other undefeated seasons separate from the title winners – Utah in 2004 and Ohio State in 2012. He can still add to his 11-3 bowl record in Pasadena.

The timing of the announcement so soon after the regular season came because Ohio State officials wanted to be open and transparent with recruits, sources said, as coaches are out on the road this week putting together the 2019 class. Ohio State has 15 verbal commitments, but the class has been generally static compared to past years as recruits and their families waited on Meyer to address his future.

Part of the reasoning for Meyer stepping down stemmed from his health. He’s endured painful and aggressive headaches as a result of a congenital arachnoid cyst in his brain. He had brain surgery in 2014 to help relieve the pain, but it had returned in spurts the past two seasons and, at times, limited him from performing the job with the required intensity.

The image of Meyer dropped to a knee and hunched over in pain has resonated as one of the dominant images in college football this season. Doctors had begun to caution Meyer about long-term risks.

The decision comes at the end of a tumultuous season for Meyer, as he was suspended for all of summer training camp and the season’s first three weeks in the wake of an investigation into allegations of illegal and illicit behavior by a former assistant coach. A subsequent suspension forced Meyer to miss the season’s first three games.

I wish him all the best and sincerely hope the medical issues he's experienced this year will be resolved.

If he's OK physically, he can write his own ticket. Broadcasting. Coaching. Whatever.

In any case, I'm glad not to have him on the Buckeye sidelines anymore. Because there will be a fall-off, whether big or small, in both recruiting and team performance after a great recruiter and coach like Meyer leaves a program.

And one of the big beneficiaries of that fall-off will be Penn State.

Reactions: Judge Smails

Great write up from Bleacher Report

Urban Meyer Leaves Another Program Disgraced—and It Won't Be His Last

MATT HAYESDECEMBER 4, 2018

hi-res-2a68f63720d1e9b0d751064bb41dd7a7_crop_north.jpg

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Take a deep breath, everyone. We'll get through this shocking revelation, this can't-be-true moment, together.

Urban Meyer has retired. Again.

Meyer proclaimed Tuesday that he's leaving Ohio State because of health issues, and that he's done coaching. It's the same thing he said eight years agoafter walking away from Florida.

Back then, in 2010, he walked away from a program cratered with entitlement run amok, roster manipulation, a drug problem in the locker room and more than 30 player arrests in six seasons.

On Tuesday, he walked away from a program that has had a brutal season off the field, including revelations of the reckless enabling of former assistant coach Zach Smith, whose alleged domestic violence (among other nefarious issues) while working for Meyer at both Florida and Ohio State left an indelible shame stain for all to see on one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport.

The next big question: Who takes a chance on Meyer when he wants back in?

If you think Meyer, the most competitive, win-at-all-costs football coach of our generation, will just walk away at 54 years young, you're the same person who believes he's as pure and true as the Pope he's named after.

Any number of jobs could be available for the 2020 season, and a year away from the grind will allow Meyer to get well (he has been dealing with an arachnoid cyst in his brain since the early 1990s), recharge and reorganize his life.

Forget about the NFL. Meyer's rah-rah, psychological motivation won't work on grown men. It will, however, work at the highest level of college football.

But if you're USC, Auburn, Florida State or any other major program, are you willing to sell your souls for championships, knowing full well the future collateral damage?

Do you hire a coach who allegedly hid drug-test failures on the Florida sideline by having players wear walking boots so it looked like they were injured?

Do you hire a coach who proclaims respecting women is his No. 1 priority but allows star tailback Carlos Hyde to return to the team after just a three-game suspension when video evidence showed Hyde slapping a woman at a bar?

Do you hire a coach who did nothing after a star player (Percy Harvin) allegedly attacked one of his assistant coaches at Florida?

Do you hire a coach who had to visit a player's family in the middle of the season to make it right with them because he created an environment where an assistant, Smith, allegedly got into an altercation with the player, Trevon Grimes, and used a racial slur?

I know, I know. All in the past. All justallegations. And Meyer denies it all.

Because what would make anyone doubt the honesty of a coach who was caught lying by an Ohio State committee investigating the enabling of Smith? Who deleted texts on his phone prior to investigators searching it for clues? Who told investigators he met with Smith's wife in 2009 and she recanted domestic abuse claims, even though Smith himself told the committee that Meyer didn't meet with her? Who would cook up a story about flying down to Florida five days before a Big Ten road game to see Grimes' sick mother out of the goodness of his heart—not because he was concerned a damaging story would get out?

At what point do college presidents see Meyer for what he is: a helluva football coach with a win-at-all-costs mentality who dangerously blurs the line between righteous and renegade?

7adfbd4503168ef574729da17abeed74_crop_exact.jpg

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Meyer doesn't lie. He misrepresentsfacts.

He doesn't know about damaging details. He forgets them.

He doesn't delete text messages. He just asks his director of football operations how one would, you know, clear old texts messages, if one wanted to?

He doesn't fly down to Florida in the middle of the season to make a deal with a backup freshman wide receiver who has three career catches. He travels to Florida to comfort a sick mother.

Ohio State knew all of this in August and still chose to slap Meyer on the wrist with a three-game suspension instead of ripping off the bandage and firing him.

The old coaching adage is that a team is a reflection of its coach. Well, a university is, too. A three-game suspension, and back on the horse.

If we don't learn from history, we're doomed to watch Meyer build a program of preferential treatment at Florida with what he called his "Circle of Trust," then move to Ohio State and do the same damn thing with his—ready for it?—"Brotherhood of Trust," all over again somewhere else.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Who's next?

The clock started ticking on Meyer's latest exit once he sat through the uncomfortable suspension press conference in August, dripping with defiance and using forced, uncomfortable apologies. Then last month, Meyer told reporters that headaches he gets from the cyst have become an issue, but that he loves Ohio State and he wanted to coach the Buckeyes "as long as I can."

Let me be the first to translate that for you: He has worn out his welcome in Columbus, and he knows it.

It took six years at Florida. It took seven at Ohio State. He seems to have a bad locker room now (why else would star defensive end Nick Bosa not even hang around to support his teammates while recovering from a core injury and work out at the finest facilities in college football?), like he had a bad locker room when he left Gainesville after the 2010 season.

So now Meyer is retiring and wants to get healthy and spend more time with his family (sound familiar?). He'll sit out a season and do some television work, and a big job will open up.

Then what? We'll breathe deep and get through that shocking, can't-be-true revelation together.

Again.

Matt Hayes covers college football for Bleacher Report. Foll

Reactions: SUPERTODD
Please take this opportunity to remember that Penn State has a culture problem.

I'm no Urban Meyer fan but he's one of the few who had the class to attend Joe's memorial service. Jay said that Meyer had two pictures of himself with Joe in his office to this day.

agree - and personally I am not happy to see Urban go. he raised everyone and neutralized a total wacko of a person at UM. this may turn out to be even more serious than portrayed. i find any coach currently trying to poach tOSU players to be sleezy.

The odds of Day being the second best coach in college football next season are very low.

These are the OSU fans that crack me up and spoil the reputation of the rational fans. Someone else said it perfectly...BEST CASE scenario, Day ends up being equal to Urban. That seems unlikely. People that have never been a head coach don't just instantly become on the same level as Saban. So odds are there will be some sort of drop off. Ohio State is still a hugely successful football factory - they are still going to be really good regardless. But to pretend they just keep humming along at Urban Meyer level or higher is foolish. They are still trying to find a coach to replace him down in Florida.

I'm really surprised they are going with an on-the-job training coach again instead of getting someone that has proven they can run a program already.
I guess I should have been more clear with what I was thinking.

Ryan Day may not be as good as Urban Meyer next year. But what @ivan brunetti and the rest of the Michigan faithful are really hoping for is that he's something like 30 points worse than Meyer come next November. That's what the "You hope" comment was implying.

agree - and personally I am not happy to see Urban go. he raised everyone and neutralized a total wacko of a person at UM. this may turn out to be even more serious than portrayed. i find any coach currently trying to poach tOSU players to be sleezy.
You don’t think Meyer would be doing it if someone else that successful was retiring and he was staying?

Do you hire a coach who proclaims respecting women is his No. 1 priority but allows star tailback Carlos Hyde to return to the team after just a three-game suspension when video evidence showed Hyde slapping a woman at a bar?

What a bunch of crap by a lying pos. Hyde barely pushed this girl and wasn't prosecuted. There is still a Youtube video. Hyde gained 1500 yards that year and could have been in the running for a Heisman if he hadn't received substantial punishment for virtually nothing. See ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgj23776kmY (https removed to save space on comment)

I know I'm stupid, but here it goes. Why isn't Tosu conducting a national search for leyer's replacement? Is Day the best option?

Perhaps they've seen the light of Day? :rolleyes:

Be sure to tip your waitress folks. I'll be here all week! :)

My mistake..,NCAA does not control this..but something drastic will have to happen to effect change.,, it is all about the $$$$ ... so hard to work out various scsenarios with the Bowls unless there is a big win for them..

Franklin should speak to Barron and Barbour about it because they are in positions to bring it up with the powers that be. If he does, my guess is they will respond along the lines of "thank you very much, that's very nice, James" and do absolutely nothing.

What a bunch of crap by a lying pos. Hyde barely pushed this girl and wasn't prosecuted. There is still a Youtube video. Hyde gained 1500 yards that year and could have been in the running for a Heisman if he hadn't received substantial punishment for virtually nothing. See ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgj23776kmY (https removed to save space on comment)

Oh no, something unfair was done to osu and someone from osu didn't get a trophy. Boo f@ckin' hoo buckeye.

Dude, I graduated from Penn State. What's the truth? Who cares about the TRUTH? What a joke. You're precious man.

Well if you are not interested in the truth, and admit it, you can be safely ignored. Spout off all you want.

Saw LJ Sr today as he was watching Bresee at basketball practice. lets just say that the concern for keeping recruits for that 2020 class is now extremely high.

Probably not a great thing to bring up to a Penn State fan.

I agree that Penn State, and many other institutions and people get smeared by the Legacy Media and social media. I just try to do my small thing to fight obvious lies against OSU.

Interesting to note when people talk about Durkin and the death of the Maryland player (which was due to very incompetent training staff), no one mentions that the high temperature that day was 68 degrees.

I agree that Penn State, and many other institutions and people get smeared by the Legacy Media and social media. I just try to do my small thing to fight obvious lies against OSU.

Interesting to note when people talk about Durkin and the death of the Maryland player (which was due to very incompetent training staff), no one mentions that the high temperature that day was 68 degrees.
It was 81 degrees.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
I don’t see Saban leaving. He may already be there, but another title or two can make him the undisputed GOAT in college football.

Meyer is from the Cleveland area and the Browns also need a coach. I don’t think it will happen, but one can’t be sure.
I think Mike McCarthy will be the next HC of the Packers. Who is doing the picking? Where did he come from?

It was 81 degrees.

I never saw a temperature and when I went to national weather center, it showed high was 68. I double checked, and did see one news source mentioning 81 degrees. You are right and I was wrong. The day before was 68.

I'm going to miss having him there. Regardless of what you think about him as a person, I always want the best possible coaches in this division to make this division as interesting as possible. We have so many interesting/fun games to look forward to in this division every year. Every year I look forward to this game more than any other, and I want to beat his team that when we did break through and win in 2016, it felt so good being in that stadium and experiencing that win. Ryan Day may be a great coach, but he is rather unproven, and it is a stretch to say at this point that long term he can keep up what Meyer has built, because pretty much no one can short of Saban. Short term OSU will be largely the same because of the talent that they already have there.

Even if we don't win the division every year, it makes when we do win them that much more satisfying. I'd certainly rather be in this division than, say, the division Clemson is in.
Nope...anything that makes our competitors worse helps us.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I never saw a temperature and when I went to national weather center, it showed high was 68. I double checked, and did see one news source mentioning 81 degrees. You are right and I was wrong. The day before was 68.
81 still shouldn’t cause heat exhaustion.

Some of these responses have been downright laughable. Trying to conclude that he only had success because of Penn State and Michigan being down must be some kind of joke. He has had success everywhere he went and if he was our Coach would have been anointed as the second coming!

I thought after what went down to start the season that this would be his final one with OSU.
Now since all the information about his brain cyst came out I pretty much figured it was his last.
If he was acting during the MD game he deserves and Emmy.
I know people had a lot of issues with him and with good reason but honestly he doesn't bother me nearly
as much as Harbaugh, Narduzzzi or Dantonio do. I really hate those guys.

Couldn’t agree more with your sentiments on those 3 coaches, and Urban. I can’t stand looking at their faces.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT