ADVERTISEMENT

McCord to Nebraska supposedly a done deal

This should be interesting, I am sure both QB”s want to play immediately

McCord won't go to Nebraska if Raiola does
Raiola shouldn't be going to Nebraska regardless. I feel like dad has to be pressuring him.
If he wants a chance to play day 1 I understand bailing on Georgia but there's better options than Nebraska

Raiola to Nebraska. This changes everything and keeps Franklin in the running for Fleming.

There is ZERO EXCUSE for settling for Andre Greene and nobody else in the portal. Basically that is even worse than last year when they made excuses for failing and settling for a kid who can't catch and another kid who can't learn a playbook.

McCord won't go to Nebraska if Raiola does
Raiola shouldn't be going to Nebraska regardless. I feel like dad has to be pressuring him.
If he wants a chance to play day 1 I understand bailing on Georgia but there's better options than Nebraska

I'm not sure about that. If I'm not mistaken, McCord only has one year of eligibility remaining.

The Huskers may bill this to Raiola as a year to learn the system, get some PT, not have to deal with huge pressure, etc.

In any event, the buzz surrounding McCord and Nebraska has only increased in the last few days. As for Raiola, he's got family connections to the Husker football program...so we'll see

What a coup it would be for Matt Rhule to nab both those guys.

I'm not sure about that. If I'm not mistaken, McCord only has one year of eligibility remaining.

The Huskers may bill this to Raiola as a year to learn the system, get some PT, not have to deal with huge pressure, etc.

In any event, the buzz surrounding McCord and Nebraska has only increased in the last few days. As for Raiola, he's got family connections to the Husker football program...so we'll see

What a coup it would be for Matt Rhule to nab both those guys.
McCord does have one year left but if Raiola wants to sit for a year and pick Nebraska over Georgia he's--not very smart or is letting dad make his decision for him. Georgia is the right choice unless he wants to play day one. And even if he wants to play day 1 Nebraska's the wrong decision.

McCord transferring to Nebraska this time last year would be big news because we would all think wow Nebby will now be really good. After witnessing McCord at work this year I think this is pretty much nothing to see here.

Reactions: psuno1
McCord transferring to Nebraska this time last year would be big news because we would all think wow Nebby will now be really good. After witnessing McCord at work this year I think this is pretty much nothing to see here.
McCord was better than Allar last year.

McCord was better than Allar last year.
McCord wants to play 1 more year and then go to the NFL. To do that he must start somewhere next year. OSU would not guarantee that. Hence, McCord will go somewhere he is certain to start.

You mean the guy with the better playcaller, better designed offense, and better wide receivers (all by a wide margin) had the better year, shocking...
Yeah he had the best wide receiver in the last 25 years. Helped him a bit. Lincoln will get lonely once he meets his wide receivers.

McCord wants to play 1 more year and then go to the NFL. To do that he must start somewhere next year. OSU would not guarantee that. Hence, McCord will go somewhere he is certain to start.
Nbergbuck.....is Day out if OSU loses to Michigan again next year and then doesn't win the NC (since they still will make the playoff most likely)?

Nbergbuck.....is Day out if OSU loses to Michigan again next year and then doesn't win the NC (since they still will make the playoff most likely)?
I would say that he is out if he loses to Michigan again. Unfair in my view. This year's UM team is really good. The previous 2 years they cheated. Winning the NC is very hard. Difficult to fire a coach for not winning it.

I would say that he is out if he loses to Michigan again. Unfair in my view. This year's UM team is really good. The previous 2 years they cheated. Winning the NC is very hard. Difficult to fire a coach for not winning it.
Interestingly if PSU beats OSU next season in Happy Valley and OSU loses to Michigan then the powers that be can start citing that the program has regressed (2 losses). Firing him will be more justified but still a very difficult standard. Who does the fanbase want as a replacement besides Urban?

Interestingly if PSU beats OSU next season in Happy Valley and OSU loses to Michigan then the powers that be can start citing that the program has regressed (2 losses). Firing him will be more justified but still a very difficult standard. Who does the fanbase want as a replacement besides Urban?
There is no talk of a replacement of which I am aware.

I actually hope raiola sticks with Georgia. When a top QB flips it can snowball. I think that burned us before. I can't remember who though.

They should still root for him when not playing Nebraska or they're as bad as many here who don't care about the players.
Most Ohio State fans supported Joe Burrow and Jameson Williams when they transferred. I certainly did. Very happy for both of them that they made a lot of money by transferring and starting somewhere else.

Reactions: LandoComando
Well Fields flipped then we get Levis and use a future starting NFL QB as a fullback/battering ram QB.

Wimbush. I think Stanford and Alabama were involved. One QB flipped which snowballed. Psu ended up losing wimbush.

Most Ohio State fans supported Joe Burrow and Jameson Williams when they transferred. I certainly did. Very happy for both of them that they made a lot of money by transferring and starting somewhere else.
And that's what all fans should do. Support the guys that stay and transfer. Unless they're playing your team

yeah, but those kids weren't starters so it made sense. With McCord it is a different story. Day didn't support him after the loss to UM. There is an article in the local rag on it. The players are all saying the right things. Basically, it says McCord is leaving tOSU because it was tough after the UM loss. They kind of blame the fan base but you get that everywhere when you lose. Despite total confusion on PSU's offense, there are those clamoring to replace Allar. But McCord really didn't get the support he wanted from the coaching staff. He felt they through him under the bus when they knew he was playing hurt and there were other issues with the offense.

yeah, but those kids weren't starters so it made sense. With McCord it is a different story. Day didn't support him after the loss to UM. There is an article in the local rag on it. The players are all saying the right things. Basically, it says McCord is leaving tOSU because it was tough after the UM loss. They kind of blame the fan base but you get that everywhere when you lose. Despite total confusion on PSU's offense, there are those clamoring to replace Allar. But McCord really didn't get the support he wanted from the coaching staff. He felt they through him under the bus when they knew he was playing hurt and there were other issues with the offense.

Mccord was in a tough spot because he is a better than average quarterback in general, but not a very good quarterback by Ohio State standards. He is mostly immobile in the pocket and is not great at getting to second and third reads. Apparently coach Day told him that following his seasons performance that he was starting from ground zero as far as being the starting quarterback for next year and most probably for the bowl game. His choice to transfer which was probably a good one for him. Sorry that the college football game is so brutal because he is a good kid but I don't think Ohio State could ever win a national championship with him a quarterback. At this point in time his backup, Devin Brown, who is a much better athlete but maybe not quite the passer is saying all the right things about being super competitive.

I would add that everyone at Ohio State knew that Joe Burrow was really good, and hated to see him go but also realized that Haskins won the Michigan game and Ohio State had no choice but to designate him as a starting quarterback.

Or perhaps he’s a Sun Tzu level strategist. It still doesn’t mean he isn't against the portal. Who’s to say McCord and his family didn’t reach out to Rhule and not the other way around? Would you cast out your neighbor if he requested to spend time learning from you? Would you call him a liar if he made a statement contrary to his request? Absolutism……🤦‍♂️
One little side story to the portal and Nebraska quarterback transfers is the Joe Burrow story. He grew up loving Nebraska football and hope to get an offer from Nebraska, which he didn't. When Burrow was transferring, and there was speculation as to where he would go, the then Nebraska coach stated something to the effect, is Burrow really better than what we have now. One of the worst evaluations of talent in history.

Reactions: hoflane
One little side story to the portal and Nebraska quarterback transfers is the Joe Burrow story. He grew up loving Nebraska football and hope to get an offer from Nebraska, which he didn't. When Burrow was transferring, and there was speculation as to where he would go, the then Nebraska coach stated something to the effect, is Burrow really better than what we have now. One of the worst evaluations of talent in history.
Well, maybe.

right now, Burrow's backup is playing lights out. While Burrow has been a great QB, one has to start asking if it is him or the very talented group of players around him. Right now, albeit a limited window, Browning has a higher QB rating (111 to 91) and compl% (75 to 67).

Well, maybe.

right now, Burrow's backup is playing lights out. While Burrow has been a great QB, one has to start asking if it is him or the very talented group of players around him. Right now, albeit a limited window, Browning has a higher QB rating (111 to 91) and compl% (75 to 67).
Browning could be a very good quarterback but that doesn't take anything away from Joe Burrow. I remember he won one playoff game when he was sacked nine times. The Bengals offensive line is a lot better than that now. His last season at LSU was ridiculously insane. LSU played something like six top 15 teams and was undefeated and his statistics were ridiculous. In the Texas game, his offensive lineman were outnumbered in a blitz and Joe ran into the blitz and jumped sideways and threw a touchdown pass when his body was at something like a 45° angle in the last 4 minutes of the game. One of the best passes I've ever seen.

Reactions: 81b&w
Well, maybe.

Ehhh--Browning was great against Jacksonville who seemingly can't stop anyone now and the Colts
Vikings, Steelers, Chiefs and Browns the rest of the way will tell us more about him.
Burrow was also playing through an injury

Reactions: dailybuck777
Well, maybe.

Burrow>Browning. Don't get carried away, this is not drop Bledsoe like a bad habit for Brady.

Mccord was in a tough spot because he is a better than average quarterback in general, but not a very good quarterback by Ohio State standards. He is mostly immobile in the pocket and is not great at getting to second and third reads. Apparently coach Day told him that following his seasons performance that he was starting from ground zero as far as being the starting quarterback for next year and most probably for the bowl game. His choice to transfer which was probably a good one for him. Sorry that the college football game is so brutal because he is a good kid but I don't think Ohio State could ever win a national championship with him a quarterback. At this point in time his backup, Devin Brown, who is a much better athlete but maybe not quite the passer is saying all the right things about being super competitive.

I would add that everyone at Ohio State knew that Joe Burrow was really good, and hated to see him go but also realized that Haskins won the Michigan game and Ohio State had no choice but to designate him as a starting quarterback.
Day is coaching for his job next season so he needs to do anything to get the best product on the field so he can beat Michigan. I like that he was honest, upfront and transparent with McCord so McCord could make the best decision. With that said, the optics don't look great for Day as it can be viewed as he scapegoated McCord. By the way, I did not realize McCord was playing on a bad ankle all season. Apparently Day did not think enough of that as it affecting his performance too much.

Day desperately needs to hold on to MH Jr for another season. As good as their WRs have been this guy is on a different level. If their starter is Devon Brown and no MH Jr then it could be tough next season for Day and company.

All eyes are on that OSU vs Michigan game next season to see if Day can get over the hump. Ironically though they have to play Penn State in Happy Valley so we have the opportunity to push Day halfway out the door. Can you imagine the uproar if they lose to us?! Total meltdown mode because at this point they feel it is an automatic W when playing us, sadly.

Reactions: wilbury
All eyes are on that OSU vs Michigan game next season to see if Day can get over the hump. Ironically though they have to play Penn State in Happy Valley so we have the opportunity to push Day halfway out the door. Can you imagine the uproar if they lose to us?! Total meltdown mode because at this point they feel it is an automatic W when playing us, sadly.
Day would be safer just staying in Happy Valley and not returning to Columbus

Day is coaching for his job next season so he needs to do anything to get the best product on the field so he can beat Michigan. I like that he was honest, upfront and transparent with McCord so McCord could make the best decision. With that said, the optics don't look great for Day as it can be viewed as he scapegoated McCord. By the way, I did not realize McCord was playing on a bad ankle all season. Apparently Day did not think enough of that as it affecting his performance too much.

Day desperately needs to hold on to MH Jr for another season. As good as their WRs have been this guy is on a different level. If their starter is Devon Brown and no MH Jr then it could be tough next season for Day and company.

A lot of very not bright Ohio State fans are saying that Day is coaching for his job. In my mind this is ridiculous because he has lost something like six games six years. No way they will ever get someone better than Ryan Day. In 6 years he has lost two bad games, which are the last two Michigan games. Did a very good job coaching the offensive line this year was greatly improved as well as the defense. Tom Osborne at Nebraska at a rocky start in several big games and then turned it around. No reason the same can't happen with Ryan Day who is a much better recruiter than Harbaugh. Also, it is a good sign that many good players are returning for the bowl game, stating that they are returning because of the brotherhood on the team.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
A lot of very not bright Ohio State fans are saying that Day is coaching for his job. In my mind this is ridiculous because he has lost something like six games six years. No way they will ever get someone better than Ryan Day. In 6 years he has lost two bad games, which are the last two Michigan games. Did a very good job coaching the offensive line this year was greatly improved as well as the defense. Tom Osborne at Nebraska at a rocky start in several big games and then turned it around. No reason the same can't happen with Ryan Day who is a much better recruiter than Harbaugh. Also, it is a good sign that many good players are returning for the bowl game, stating that they are returning because of the brotherhood on the team.
All that is great but losing to Michigan four years in a row probably means he needs to win 2 playoff games and reach the semis.

Reactions: Grass
All that is great but losing to Michigan four years in a row probably means he needs to win 2 playoff games and reach the semis.
Really not that difficult for Ohio State to win two playoff games. Also, I discount the first game that Ryan Day lost to Harbaugh because the defense was in total disarray that year because they're coordinator was completely incompetent and had to be fired in the middle of the year. (Ryan Day's responsibility but an understandable because he hired a legendary Ohio State assistant coach) And it shouldn't be forgotten that during the covid year Michigan was 2-4 and chickened out of the Ohio State game which it would have lost to Ryan Day

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
Really not that difficult for Ohio State to win two playoff games. Also, I discount the first game that Ryan Day lost to Harbaugh because the defense was in total disarray that year because they're coordinator was completely incompetent and had to be fired in the middle of the year. (Ryan Day's responsibility but an understandable because he hired a legendary Ohio State assistant coach) And it shouldn't be forgotten that during the covid year Michigan was 2-4 and chickened out of the Ohio State game which it would have lost to Ryan Day
Again, all fair points but it ultimately comes down to "lost to Michigan four years in a row"
Great game against Georgia but they lost.
Not sure exactly what that team looks like next year but if they avoid Georgia, Bama and Michigan in the first two rounds 2 playoffs wins is definitely realistic on paper. Long ways off but i think that's what he'll need. Especially if they go 10-2 which is also realistic.

Losing to PSU will not cause a meltdown, just disappointment. Losing again to Michigan will cause a meltdown.

Well Fields flipped then we get Levis and use a future starting NFL QB as a fullback/battering ram QB.

But, seriously, while I didn’t care for the way Levis was used here, he was leaving if he wasn’t starting. It worked out with our guy leading PSU to a better last season and Levis getting drafted higher.

Reactions: 81b&w
If he loses to Michigan again he is not as safe as you may think. How many swings at the plate are they going to give him? He has the game at home so that helps but if he loses at home....ruh roh!!

If the unthinkable happens and he loses to PSU earlier in the year (I know this never happens but we are sneaking up on the once in a decade timing). That would mean 2 losses and precariously close to not making the playoffs or at best going on the road for a first round playoff game. Finishing next season with 3 losses punctuated by a first round playoff loss does not bode well for Ryan Day's job security.

I get it, his record is really gaudy, he recruits well, no one else could do better...... However. the bottom line at good old OSU is beating Michigan and winning a NC. Beating Michigan State and even Penn State every year is not good enough. Also, if he has lost 4 straight to Michigan, you gotta believe they could corral some other coach into Columbus who could do better and beat the fighting Jimmah Cheaterines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT