ADVERTISEMENT

McCord to Nebraska supposedly a done deal

Jerry

May 29, 2001
ON3's handy chart has him as the 20th ranked portal player and is "100% certain" that he's headed to Nebraska. First link.

Urban Meyer calls the kid an idiot...only in much more diplomatic terms. Second link.

Still focused on, if true, Rhule is a liar and all his complaining about the portal was a show.

I’m sure all OSU fans will become Nebraska fans now…or is that just something Penn State fans do?
They should still root for him when not playing Nebraska or they're as bad as many here who don't care about the players.

Reactions: Grass
Still focused on, if true, Rhule is a liar and all his complaining about the portal was a show.
Or perhaps he’s a Sun Tzu level strategist. It still doesn’t mean he isn't against the portal. Who’s to say McCord and his family didn’t reach out to Rhule and not the other way around? Would you cast out your neighbor if he requested to spend time learning from you? Would you call him a liar if he made a statement contrary to his request? Absolutism……🤦‍♂️

You can not like the portal and still participate. I don't think there are too many coaches that like the portal yet all participate. you won't have a job very long if you don't use the portal to try and improve your team.
He made it very clear they wouldn't chase a QB and couldn't because of the money involved. He also said how happy he was with his current QBs and it's important to develop them instead of finding one in the portal.

I don't mind that he's using the portal but he lied. We'd be bashing any other coach for that.

Or perhaps he’s a Sun Tzu level strategist. It still doesn’t mean he isn't against the portal. Who’s to say McCord and his family didn’t reach out to Rhule and not the other way around? Would you cast out your neighbor if he requested to spend time learning from you? Would you call him a liar if he made a statement contrary to his request? Absolutism……🤦‍♂️
If he said, "I don't intend to use the portal" that would have been different than his speech which was about Nebraska not being able to compete for top kids in the portal because of the money and also his speech about how it's important to develop people in house and not chase in the portal.

I hope he gets McCord and they're successful when they're not playing us but I'm not going to pretend he's not accountable for what he said.

Will Rhule get to .500 with a new QB?
If he gets McCord the expectations will be MUCH higher than 6-6
They get Colorado at home along with Wisconsin
3 tough road games in USC, Ohio State and Iowa but that's an easy schedule on paper. They avoid Michigan Penn State Oregon and Washington.

Will make it interesting to watch how he is at QB without the OSU offensive line, like Obliviax said.

Mr. McCord may learn what it is like to play behind an OL that doesn't have three NFLers.

He'll also learn what it's like to throw to receivers who are not all 1st-round picks.

Seriously, I don't know if ON3 has this right -- I assume there's truth to it -- but I would never have guessed Nebraska for the guy's destination.

On the other hand, it would seemingly mean a lot less pressure on the kid. I mean, he had an excellent year as a 1st-year starter, made two bad mistakes against a top-3 defense...and was promptly scapegoated by some, apparently to include his coach, for what in Buckeye terms ended up a disappointing year...losing to Michigan and not making the playoff.

Well truthfully just a game manager at QB for Nebby would be a big improvement.
I guess, It’s amazing how far that program has fallen; it’s basically now on the same level performance-wise as a Rutgers.

While I appreciate Meyer's input and everyone for that matter, is this really that complicated? The school never really outwardly believed in McCord....he wins the job by a hair in the offseason and then finally after a few rocky performances against lesser teams, Day feels the need to then "re-announce" that McCord is the undisputed starter for the rest of the year. I can certainly appreciate the fact that McCord and his family didn't feel like Day was supporting him the way a high level 4 star that had waited his turn should be. Plus, you're insane and you insult McCords intelligence if you think OSU was committed to him in a meaningful way after they lost to Michigan. It was obvious OSU would be ramping up the NIL funding and trying to get another QB or at minimum, put McCord through the gauntlet to win back the position next year. So yeah, kid looks at this thing and loves the idea of being "the guy" with no equivocation at another school. Nebraska ain't a bad place at all for the kid...adoring fans, he can be the savior and return the program to old glory, he'll make $$$ in NIL as the guy.

He made it very clear they wouldn't chase a QB and couldn't because of the money involved. He also said how happy he was with his current QBs and it's important to develop them instead of finding one in the portal.

I don't mind that he's using the portal but he lied. We'd be bashing any other coach for that.
how do you know a football coach is lying?

Nebraska is where careers have gone to die for the last 10-15 years. If McCord goes there, they are still vastly less talented than they need to be to get to even 7 wins. Perhaps if the OL is upgraded as well as skill positions. However, their success (as mild and woeful as its been) has relied on mobile QBs.

They must have thrown nfl level nil $$$ at McCord to get him there. He looked uncomfortable behind a real OL. He will crap his pants behind the Nebraska OL!

If memory serves, Purdy (this year's Nebraska QB, brother of Brock Purdy, of 49ers fame) was obtained by the Huskers through the portal. Can't see McCord doing much better than Purdy did.

As an aside Julian Fleming joined McCord in his visit to Nebraska this week end
Good Jumpin Jiminy, if Fleming signs with Nebby half the board will scream bloody murder, render their clothes and jump off a bridge. The other half will praise the Lord and donate their homes to a PSU NIL. Buckle up boys and girls there maybe a flaw in the reentry module.

Good Jumpin Jiminy, if Fleming signs with Nebby half the board will scream bloody murder, render their clothes and jump off a bridge. The other half will praise the Lord and donate their homes to a PSU NIL. Buckle up boys and girls there maybe a flaw in the reentry module.
Good for Matt Rhule!

The end of JF’s tenure at PSU started this season. The clock is ticking.

Did you feel the same way about Paterno complaining about early commitments yet still taking them?

Did you feel the same way about Paterno complaining about early commitments yet still taking them?
I did. Same with Prime complaining about decommits with how he runs program. And on top of the Rhule said they couldn't afford a QB and he believes in developing QBs not using the portal.

Things change, do we know who chased who?

sometimes decisions are made for you, not by you. CJF doesn't live in a vacuum. If every PSU QB portaled out, you'd have to get a new QB.

The Who once said "hope I die before I get old." Pete Townshend is now 78. I am pretty sure he isn't glad he's dead.

Things change, do we know who chased who?
Doesn't matter who chased who. It means he lied to the QBs on the roster. That's not an opinion. If other coaches did this you'd be bashing them but people here want to make Rhule into something he's not.

Reactions: RickinDayton
sometimes decisions are made for you, not by you. CJF doesn't live in a vacuum. If every PSU QB portaled out, you'd have to get a new QB.

The Who once said "hope I die before I get old." Pete Townshend is now 78. I am pretty sure he isn't glad he's dead.
Did his QBs portal out?
40 years may change your perspective not 6 days. We all know what he did here. Same thing Harbaugh was attacked for.

Doesn't matter who chased who. It means he lied to the QBs on the roster. That's not an opinion. If other coaches did this you'd be bashing them but people here want to make Rhule into something he's not.
He started three qbs this past season. For his sake, I hope that he has two more qbs on his roster for next season after McCord fails there too.

Did his QBs portal out?
40 years may change your perspective not 6 days. We all know what he did here. Same thing Harbaugh was attacked for.
can you link to him stating that he wouldn't take a QB in the portal? I am not saying he didn't just that I've not heard that. If he did, I'd like to hear the context. I am seeing articles of him saying he'd "prefer" to develop a QB but not saying he wouldn't take one.

To me, if you are a coach and can improve a position, you do it unless the kid is trouble. But we've now seen as many portal QBs be as successful as developed QBs.

Reactions: SR108
can you link to him stating that he wouldn't take a QB in the portal? I am not saying he didn't just that I've not heard that. If he did, I'd like to hear the context. I am seeing articles of him saying he'd "prefer" to develop a QB but not saying he wouldn't take one.

To me, if you are a coach and can improve a position, you do it unless the kid is trouble. But we've now seen as many portal QBs be as successful as developed QBs.
I'd have to find the video. He made it very clear with the system set up they would not be using the portal, they were very happy with the QBs they had and they do things "the right way" by developing players.

One quote I found here
"We believe in doing things the old-school way, the hard way, building," Rhule said.

I don't care that he's using the portal but this whole "I do things the way they're supposed to be done" is utter nonsense. Just say, if we had more NIL money we'd use it more than we are.

If he gets McCord the expectations will be MUCH higher than 6-6
They get Colorado at home along with Wisconsin
3 tough road games in USC, Ohio State and Iowa but that's an easy schedule on paper. They avoid Michigan Penn State Oregon and Washington.

They lost to msu and Maryland. All the b10 gams will be tough for them. Rutgers, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and ucla.

They lost to msu and Maryland. All the b10 gams will be tough for them. Rutgers, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and ucla.
We're discussing Nebraska who still believe the Tom Osborne days can be found again.
If they land McCord (who went 11-1 at Ohio State) I promise you that fan base will expect, at least, 8 wins next year--probably 9-10. And if they don't do that Rhule's seat will get hot quickly. They're not patient as we know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT