ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming 2024 freshman class

kadeeu

Aug 5, 2002
Time to start taking a closer look at the 2024 Freshman class. Probably the best Cael has ever assembled. Below I put together some information on the incoming class, including any Flo rankings available from their most recent update. The Pound for Pound (PFP) ranking lists where they are in their class/and where they are overall including underclassman. Weight projection for college is somewhat in flux of course based on what they agree to with the coaching staff. I also tried to add some basic senior season highlights. Certainly, we should see Penn State enter many more open tournaments this year with so many good wrestlers needing matches. Coach Casey indicated that was the plan when he spoke to the Penn State Wrestling Club head of the Edinboro match. Should be a lot of fun tracking their progress and see who can crack the starting line-up this year. I'll try to correct any errors/omissions if they are pointed out.

Luke Lilledahl
PFP Ranking: 1/1
HS weight/ranking: 126/1
Weight projection for college: 125/133
Senior season: Lilledahl put his second consecutive prep crown in the books with a win over Charlie DeSena (Lake Highland Prep, FL) in the finals to end the season with a 22-0 record. The Seminary grappler was third at preps as a sophomore. Lilledahl spilt with No. 2 Jax Forrest (Bishop McCort, PA) last season and was 1-0 versus his rival this year with a win in the Ironman Finals, 2-1. The senior beat No. 3 Seth Mendoza (Mt. Carmel, IL) in overtime there as well.

Mason Gibson - Decommitted 4/11/2024
PFP Ranking: NR
HS weight/ranking: 132/12
Weight projection for college: 125/133
Senior season: The Penn State signee earned his second District 6 and Southwest Regional titles. He finished 4th in the PIAA tournament. At the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic, Gibson earned a 3-1 victory over Adrian Meza in the Pennsylvania versus United States of America bout. Gibson was voted outstanding wrestler after he leaped over Meza and eventually notched a takedown just before the buzzer in a frenetic finish.

Brock Weiss
HS weight/ranking:139/5
Weight projection for college: 141
Senior season: Brock Weiss was stunned in the quarterfinals of PIAA tournament at 139 pounds. He was pinned from the defensive position while leading 11-4. Weiss forfeited in the consolation bracket to end his tournament.

Ty Watson
HS weight/ranking:152/NR
Weight projection for college: 157
Senior season: He finished eighth at the PIAA tournament at 152 pounds.

Joe Sealy
PFP Ranking: 9/12
HS weight/ranking: 165/2
Weight projection for college: 165
Senior season: He became a three-time Prep Nationals champ. He won by a combined score of 34-13 in the semifinal and final rounds.

Zack Ryder
PFP Ranking: 4/5
HS weight/ranking: 190/NR
Weight projection for college:174/184
Senior season: Elected to bypass his senior year of high school wrestling. He moved to State College. There, he is training at David Taylor’s M2 Training Center with the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club.

Connor Mirasola
PFP Ranking: 7/10
HS weight/ranking: 190/2
Weight projection for college: 197
Senior season: Connor Mirasola became one of just 28 Wisconsin wrestlers to ever win four state titles. He secured a spot in the final round with a pair of technical falls and a pin before claiming the 190-pound crown just 4 seconds into his match due to a medical forfeit

Cole Mirasola
PFP Ranking: 14/20
HS weight/ranking: 285/3
Weight projection for college: 285
Senior season: Cole Mirasola earned his third Wisconsin heavyweight title by pinning his way to the final. Once there, he beat two seed Brock Arndt for the championship.

Last edited:
Thanks, I corrected it.

This group could be really special. I am putting the O/U on total National Championships at 6.5. Who is taking over versus under?
Total individual national championships? 6.5 is a pretty good standard, I’m taking the over.

Reactions: matter7172
The over!!!
200w.gif

Great post, didnt leave much for the rest of us to discuss. Im not concerned.

The only concern I would think is how many stay through their entire eligibility because of how deep this team is. Plus it gets deeper with 2025 class. Like how does Joe Sealy see the mat in a reasonable time. Maybe if Haines moves to 165 and Sealy redshirts, then he would just have to wait another year. A lot can happen, but I presume we'll just have to trust the staff.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
The only concern I would think is how many stay through their entire eligibility because of how deep this team is. Plus it gets deeper with 2025 class. Like how does Joe Sealy see the mat in a reasonable time. Maybe if Haines moves to 165 and Sealy redshirts, then he would just have to wait another year. A lot can happen, but I presume we'll just have to trust the staff.
I know it's morbid but..... SVN/ Kasak, Howard/Davis etc.

Last edited:
@82bordeaux since ove been on this board i have wonderd what your name meant. Ive Googled it with no results, last night I was watching a new series on Netflix, a U.K. series and they mentioned it "only four known cases left in the world" or something along those lines, then I thought of how people talked about how expensive you are to drink with. So know I have to ask is it the best wine you've ever had, what is the cost of one bottle and is it really worth it other than the bragging rights alone?🤑😁

@82bordeaux since ove been on this board i have wonderd what your name meant. Ive Googled it with no results, last night I was watching a new series on Netflix, a U.K. series and they mentioned it "only four known cases left in the world" or something along those lines, then I thought of how people talked about how expensive you are to drink with. So know I have to ask is it the best wine you've ever had, what is the cost of one bottle and is it really worth it other than the bragging rights alone?🤑😁
1982 was a watershed vintage in Bordeaux and launched the career of arguably the most influential wine and food critic in history, Robert Parker. At the time he published a lightly read newsletter called The Wine Advocate. He was a vocal critic of the wine critic establishment that took lavish gifts and accommodations from large estates and distributors. He felt they were not impartial and he would take nothing from wineries and insisted on paying for his own bottles to sample from.
He proclaimed 1982 to be the greatest vintage since the acclaimed 1961 vintage while they were still in barrel. Most of the establishment thought they were too fruit forward and concentrated and threw him some shade. In the end he was proven to be correct with everyone changing course once the wines had been bottled. Those that purchased Bordeaux Futures based on his advice profited handsomely. So 82bordeaux refers to the vintage itself and not a specific wine.
How I established that as a screen name was back in the day I belonged to a wine collector's forum much like this. The first wine I ever purchased for my collection was 1982 Chateau Margaux. So I picked 82bordeaux for my screen name. And since I'm a dolt I stuck with it.
The best wine I ever had was a 1990 La Tache from Domaine Romanee Conti. It is a Burgundy which is my favorite wine region on the planet. Unfortunately the prices are reflective of the experience. That bottle of 1990 La Tache will set you back $8,000-10,000 today. And no, I never paid that much for a bottle of wine.
I found some of my old tasting notes from Cellartracker when digging back. Now I critique wrestling matches. That comes with much better company!

82bordeaux tasting notes

Gotta love offseason!

1982 was a watershed vintage in Bordeaux and launched the career of arguably the most influential wine and food critic in history, Robert Parker. At the time he published a lightly read newsletter called The Wine Advocate. He was a vocal critic of the wine critic establishment that took lavish gifts and accommodations from large estates and distributors. He felt they were not impartial and he would take nothing from wineries and insisted on paying for his own bottles to sample from.
He proclaimed 1982 to be the greatest vintage since the acclaimed 1961 vintage while they were still in barrel. Most of the establishment thought they were too fruit forward and concentrated and threw him some shade. In the end he was proven to be correct with everyone changing course once the wines had been bottled. Those that purchased Bordeaux Futures based on his advice profited handsomely. So 82bordeaux refers to the vintage itself and not a specific wine.
How I established that as a screen name was back in the day I belonged to a wine collector's forum much like this. The first wine I ever purchased for my collection was 1982 Chateau Margaux. So I picked 82bordeaux for my screen name. And since I'm a dolt I stuck with it.
The best wine I ever had was a 1990 La Tache from Domaine Romanee Conti. It is a Burgundy which is my favorite wine region on the planet. Unfortunately the prices are reflective of the experience. That bottle of 1990 La Tache will set you back $8,000-10,000 today. And no, I never paid that much for a bottle of wine.
I found some of my old tasting notes from Cellartracker when digging back. Now I critique wrestling matches. That comes with much better company!

82bordeaux tasting notes

Gotta love offseason!
Too bad Parker went off the rails later in his career and violated many of those precepts himself after he made it big. I remember buying the 1982 Gruaud Larose for $19 a bottle on release. It was a different wine world back then. I was in a buying group that got quite a few barrels of 2009 Hospices de Beaune and Nuits at around $40 a bottle on average and am happily drinking those these days - not many bargains to be had in Burgundy any longer. But props for being a CellarTracker user - best tool out there for wine lovers. Do a CT search on "Congruence" sometime to read about my handiwork from 2008-2018.

Last edited:

82bordeaux tasting notes

Gotta love offseason!
My wife gets about a half a case of French wine from the Parkers every Christmas. His wife is a very interesting person, a master gardener (in fact she is supposed to come over to my house and help out with some iris's I have) and she also studied under Julia Child while in France.

Says a lot for folks who can make a living from their passion.

• Love
Reactions: 82bordeaux

82bordeaux tasting notes

Gotta love offseason!

This made me think of the Apple TV+ show "Drops of God." If you haven't seen it, I suspect you'd enjoy it a lot. Quite highly rated. I don't drink wine but am fascinated by that culture.

" only four known cases left in the world"
When I first red this I assumed you were referencing his college STD's.

Last edited:

82bordeaux tasting notes

Gotta love offseason!
Wow that was fricken awesome, I don't think I would have gotten all that in a quick search, thank you very much.

Yeah I never thought to put the 82 in the search because I thought it had to do with a year like graduation, birth, ect.
I was also pronouncing the x, so I really had no idea.

Wow that was fricken awesome, I don't think I would have gotten all that in a quick search, thank you very much.

Yeah I never thought to put the 82 in the search because I thought it had to do with a year like graduation, birth, ect.
He's also a woodworker.

Bordox?

Reactions: dbldoofus

82bordeaux tasting notes

Gotta love offseason!
Perhaps you know of Gary Eberle, whom some call the “Godfather of Paso Robles Wine”. Gary lived in the dorms with me and played for JoePa. He just celebrated his 80th Birthday this past Sunday.

82bordeaux tasting notes

Gotta love offseason!
What's your thoughts on 1978 Mogen David 1.5 Litre handle. That was our go to step up from Strohs at Bloomsburg 😏

82bordeaux tasting notes

Gotta love offseason!

200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT