ADVERTISEMENT

McCord to Nebraska supposedly a done deal

Mccord was in a tough spot because he is a better than average quarterback in general, but not a very good quarterback by Ohio State standards. He is mostly immobile in the pocket and is not great at getting to second and third reads. Apparently coach Day told him that following his seasons performance that he was starting from ground zero as far as being the starting quarterback for next year and most probably for the bowl game. His choice to transfer which was probably a good one for him. Sorry that the college football game is so brutal because he is a good kid but I don't think Ohio State could ever win a national championship with him a quarterback. At this point in time his backup, Devin Brown, who is a much better athlete but maybe not quite the passer is saying all the right things about being super competitive.

I would add that everyone at Ohio State knew that Joe Burrow was really good, and hated to see him go but also realized that Haskins won the Michigan game and Ohio State had no choice but to designate him as a starting quarterback.
Why do you think Day recruited a QB that wasn’t very mobile? That seems to be the opposite of what he likes.

If he loses to Michigan again he is not as safe as you may think. How many swings at the plate are they going to give him? He has the game at home so that helps but if he loses at home....ruh roh!!

If the unthinkable happens and he loses to PSU earlier in the year (I know this never happens but we are sneaking up on the once in a decade timing). That would mean 2 losses and precariously close to not making the playoffs or at best going on the road for a first round playoff game. Finishing next season with 3 losses punctuated by a first round playoff loss does not bode well for Ryan Day's job security.

I get it, his record is really gaudy, he recruits well, no one else could do better...... However. the bottom line at good old OSU is beating Michigan and winning a NC. Beating Michigan State and even Penn State every year is not good enough. Also, if he has lost 4 straight to Michigan, you gotta believe they could corral some other coach into Columbus who could do better and beat the fighting Jimmah Cheaterines.
Harbaugh lost I believe seven games in a row to Ohio State and he was still retained. Generally speaking he is not as good as a recruiter or a coach as day is. (Consider the TCU game and the benefits from his cheating) Just silly to even entertain the idea of firing day. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in Columbus that think that way.

Last edited:
Why do you think Day recruited a QB that wasn’t very mobile? That seems to be the opposite of what he likes.
He was something like the 35th rated player in the country and obviously had a very good arm. It appears he didn't grow that much in college, particularly from the standpoint of being able to quickly read defenses. Ohio State had commitments from Quinn Ewers and Dylan rayiola, who both left, which partially explains how they were left exposed this year.

He was something like the 35th rated player in the country and obviously had a very good arm. It appears he didn't grow that much in college, particularly from the standpoint of being able to quickly read defenses. Ohio State had commitments from Quinn Ewers and Dylan rayiola, who both left, which partially explains how they were left exposed this year.
That makes sense.

Burrow>Browning. Don't get carried away, this is not drop Bledsoe like a bad habit for Brady.

Not yet. Bledsoe was 8 years into his career tho. Brady came in late during a week 2 loss to the Dolphins and Drew wasn't healthy again until the wins piled up.

Maalik Murphy entered the portal--he'd actually be a good fit for Nebraska.
Curious to see if he goes back to California though

You would think he'd stick around for the playoff.

Wonder what this means for Arch?
He was probably worried that all the real good opportunities to start would be gone. I'm guessing he thought Ewers would be leaving and when he decide to stay he bolted.

Didn't Murphy play pretty well when Ewers was out a few times?
He was solid against BYU then started strong against K-State before he was awful in the second half. Couple picks--really couldn't move the ball at all. Will Howard's fumble early in the second half is the only reason K-State didn't win in regulation.

Early on in that game I remember thinking Manning might want to leave because I thought Murphy looked great--there's a ton of potential there.

He was solid against BYU then started strong against K-State before he was awful in the second half. Couple picks--really couldn't move the ball at all. Will Howard's fumble early in the second half is the only reason K-State didn't win in regulation.

Early on in that game I remember thinking Manning might want to leave because I thought Murphy looked great--there's a ton of potential there.
So, Californian (west coast). Perhaps UW or UCLA?

Harbaugh lost I believe seven games in a row to Ohio State and he was still retained. Generally speaking he is not as good as a recruiter or a coach as day is. (Consider the TCU game and the benefits from his cheating) Just silly to even entertain the idea of firing day. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in Columbus that think that way.
Harbaugh is Michigan royalty. Day not so much for OSU. Are you cool with him going 0-7 versus Michigan without any hopes of NC?

Harbaugh is Michigan royalty. Day not so much for OSU. Are you cool with him going 0-7 versus Michigan without any hopes of NC?
Can't go 0 for 7. He has already won one game. (Michigan chickened out in another game when it was 2-4, which it would have lost) He has reached the playoffs at least 3 times and OSU was the second best team last year. Michigan game won't matter much with 12 team playoff. Playoff performance will and Michigan's has been poor under Harbaugh. OSU defense improved greatly this year from the ruins of 2 years ago. If Day consistently has top 5 teams, I am happy and he will also turn it around against Michigan.

Nebraska fired their coach after 10-3 seasons and it got worse. Ohio used to have Texas or Florida type talent. Now it has much less. Day is crucial to recruiting and his elite offensive coaching always gives OSU a chance.

Can't go 0 for 7. He has already won one game. (Michigan chickened out in another game when it was 2-4, which it would have lost) He has reached the playoffs at least 3 times and OSU was the second best team last year. Michigan game won't matter much with 12 team playoff. Playoff performance will and Michigan's has been poor under Harbaugh. OSU defense improved greatly this year from the ruins of 2 years ago. If Day consistently has top 5 teams, I am happy and he will also turn it around against Michigan.

Nebraska fired their coach after 10-3 seasons and it got worse. Ohio used to have Texas or Florida type talent. Now it has much less. Day is crucial to recruiting and his elite offensive coaching always gives OSU a chance.
I think your optimism of Day is a bit unrealistic but we can agree to disagree. I will give you the fact he probably can survive next season by simply making the playoff despite another Michigan loss. A first round exit as a 5 seed or worse will make his seat that much warmer though.

In 2025 if that same scenario repeats itself or he does not make the semis then I think he gone. I just can't imagine him surviving that. Maybe like you said they are just so enamored by his recruiting and "elite" offensive mind that they keep on giving him chances.

I am wondering about the new AD replacing Smith. Has that happened? If not, when? That introduces the old Day is not my guy variable.

And what about our friend Urban? Does he still have any influence on the program? I'm not saying he would come back but do they ask him things or solicit any advice from him? The dude can't even say the word Michigan so I am sure he is not happy about the last 3 games. I know he likes Day but a bunch of losses to to "that team up north" can change one's perspective.

Back to the original post: McCord to Nebraska...

NOT A DONE DEAL AND NOT A DEAL AT ALL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT