ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down

Kelly from Notre Dame was like that at Cincy and he got hired. I do not like the guy just saying what COULD happen if they went after coaches
no he wasn't, at all. Kelly was 10-3, 11-3, and 12-0 at cincy before he got hired so the narduzzi comparison isn't valid.

Reactions: pandaczar12
There is a 3rd reason
PSU having sanctions and going through transitions and Michigan being down with poor coach choices. both MSU and OSU took full advantage.
You are quite correct. It was not that Urban was the most brilliant coach ever to set foot on a B10 field. He was helped out by circumstances in his first few years at OSU. He struck while the iron was hot. It is interesting his health issues coincidentally arose again with both Penn State and Michigan becoming competitive in the B10 again.

He’s been a great coach at every stop, and the game will be a little less interesting without him.
Agreed he’s a great and interesting football coach. Hard to replicate him or Saban, but the game may become more interesting. OSU will remain a top flight football program, as it was before. Same with Alabama.

But the game will certainly become more interesting when Alabama comes down from its current CFB peak and when OSU returns to being just one of the greats in the B1G, and not basically the one to beat.

He’s in a good spot to leave now, while he’s on top and before things continue shaking out in Columbus.

Well, if they think that, rest assured the lunatics on this board will hang on to every one of their posts and report them back here.
Poll: Rate the babes in psuro's pic. Hint - virtually impossible to differentiate. However, with a gun to my head, I'd pick the one in the middle, because she's the tallest.

I thought after what went down to start the season that this would be his final one with OSU.
Now since all the information about his brain cyst came out I pretty much figured it was his last.
If he was acting during the MD game he deserves and Emmy.
I know people had a lot of issues with him and with good reason but honestly he doesn't bother me nearly
as much as Harbaugh, Narduzzzi or Dantonio do. I really hate those guys.

Followed closely by Cryst.

I truly believe that his decision to retire is directly related to heath issues. Coaching a high profile team like Ohio State is very intense and combine this with expectations to win a NC game every year from an unforgiving fan base can wear on anyone, especially a guy that has a benign cyst on his brain. I wish him the best in his retirement.

A little surprised Schiano didn't get the HC position.

Yeah, I stand corrected. It wasn't New Years Day.

I could tell an interesting story about where I was, who I was with, and what got interrupted when that punch happened, since a TV was on in the room. But since this is a family board, I will not.
Thanks for sparing us!

giphy.gif
Tough room.
9oGQ.gif

Urban's retirement should come as no shock. It gives him the chance to take a season off and revitalize himself before taking his dream job -- Pitt. Coaching Pitt has been his plan ever since his days at Utah. The stops at Florida and Ohio State allowed him to build his resume up to Pitt standards.

Poll: Rate the babes in psuro's pic. Hint - virtually impossible to differentiate. However, with a gun to my head, I'd pick the one in the middle, because she's the tallest.

I had this same debate, but I went far right (or the girl right next to her). I hate to tell you how I made that decision.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-urban-meyer-step-ohio-state-head-coach-123250805.html
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down and will coach his final game in the Rose Bowl, sources told Yahoo Sports.

A myriad of factors contributed to Meyer’s decision, but sources say foremost among them was his happiness with the state of the Ohio State program he inherited seven years ago. Meyer, 54, will be replaced by Ryan Day, the 39-year-old offensive coordinator who served as Ohio State’s interim coach earlier this season. The university will announce Day as the permanent replacement on Tuesday, and the team was scheduled to be informed in a meeting early Tuesday morning.

With the Buckeyes coming off back-to-back Big Ten titles, Meyer views this as a similar transition to Oklahoma in 2017 when Bob Stoops handed over the Sooner program to Lincoln Riley.

The Rose Bowl against Washington on Jan. 1 will mark Meyer’s last game, a fitting ending for an Ohio native who grew up watching Woody Hayes coach in Rose Bowls. Meyer has never coached in the Rose Bowl, and he’ll enter it with a record of 186-32.

Meyer’s career helped define a generation of college football, as he helped usher the spread offense into the mainstream by leading Utah to an undefeated season and Fiesta Bowl victory in 2004. Meyer went on to win two BCS titles at Florida, where he coached Tim Tebow to the Heisman Trophy and dueled with Nick Saban and Les Miles to help fuel the rise of the SEC.

Meyer closed his career in Columbus, where he led the Buckeyes to the 2014 national title and finished his seven seasons 82-9 with a winning percentage just over 90 percent, a 7-0 record against rival Michigan and a 54-4 record in regular season Big Ten play.

Meyer finishes with three national championships – two BCS titles at Florida and a College Football Playoff title at Ohio State. He also led two other undefeated seasons separate from the title winners – Utah in 2004 and Ohio State in 2012. He can still add to his 11-3 bowl record in Pasadena.

The timing of the announcement so soon after the regular season came because Ohio State officials wanted to be open and transparent with recruits, sources said, as coaches are out on the road this week putting together the 2019 class. Ohio State has 15 verbal commitments, but the class has been generally static compared to past years as recruits and their families waited on Meyer to address his future.

Part of the reasoning for Meyer stepping down stemmed from his health. He’s endured painful and aggressive headaches as a result of a congenital arachnoid cyst in his brain. He had brain surgery in 2014 to help relieve the pain, but it had returned in spurts the past two seasons and, at times, limited him from performing the job with the required intensity.

The image of Meyer dropped to a knee and hunched over in pain has resonated as one of the dominant images in college football this season. Doctors had begun to caution Meyer about long-term risks.

The decision comes at the end of a tumultuous season for Meyer, as he was suspended for all of summer training camp and the season’s first three weeks in the wake of an investigation into allegations of illegal and illicit behavior by a former assistant coach. A subsequent suspension forced Meyer to miss the season’s first three games.

Back to the booth. Wonder if he’d take the USC job if it opened up in a year or two.

You think Day will go 54-4 in Big Ten play?

That record is sick. Holy cow. I didn't realize just how dominant he was.

On a related note it's gonna forever frustrate the flock of UM alums on my wife's side of the family that they never beat OSU with Meyer as Coach. It's was so fun how the tone of every Thanksgiving weekend would turn come late Saturday afternoon. Just like clockwork every time. It was hilarious.
Thank you for the entertainment Coach Meyer!!

Narduzzi would never leave Pitt for another job in the country. It's an honor without equal. Just ask those loons on the liar.

Yup, win at all cost coach who tends to leave programs when people start "looking under the covers." You know he is scared sh*tless that Zach Smith in one of his customary twitter tirades is going to blow the whole thing up by detailing money for recruits and so on. Get out now, let it all calm down, survey the landscape, start a new job if the climate has calmed down. Rinse and repeat.

Learned from Lou Holtz.

Reactions: m48tank
The 54-4 record, while admittedly impressive, also was achieved during some really weak seasons in the B1G. PSU directly under or weakened by the aftermath of NCAA sanctions, scUM experiencing some weak years etc....

Reactions: Obliviax
I don't know if it factored into his decision to retire, but I predict that tOSU is going to be met with an unprecedented amount of players leaving early for the draft:

Seniors (5 by my count)
Campbell, Prince, Dixon, Pridgeon, Knox

Underclassmen (10 by my count in order from Bosa to possibly leaving):
Bosa, Haskins, Jordan,Webber, Dre’Mont, Arnette, Sheffield, Prince, KJ Hill, McLaurin

Some of you are going to say "Haskins isn't ready for the NFL" and I would tend to agree with you. However, he's a smart kid who has the size and arm/accuracy to play in the NFL. He is not comparable to Cardale Jones. 20-30 million in bonus and guarantee is likely - he should take it.

bplionfan,

From earlier today, this is a good analysis from FOX SPORTS Chris Carter about Urban Meyer. His health status is the real reason why he retired from coaching

Sadly, some folks just have to make more of it than necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: dailybuck777
Day/OSU not wasting any time on the recruiting front, visiting Bresee today.

I don't know if it factored into his decision to retire, but I predict that tOSU is going to be met with an unprecedented amount of players leaving early for the draft:

Seniors (5 by my count)
Campbell, Prince, Dixon, Pridgeon, Knox

Underclassmen (10 by my count in order from Bosa to possibly leaving):
Bosa, Haskins, Jordan,Webber, Dre’Mont, Arnette, Sheffield, Prince, KJ Hill, McLaurin

Some of you are going to say "Haskins isn't ready for the NFL" and I would tend to agree with you. However, he's a smart kid who has the size and arm/accuracy to play in the NFL. He is not comparable to Cardale Jones. 20-30 million in bonus and guarantee is likely - he should take it.
Not sure if webber will leave, he doesn't strike me as an impact player either way. But point taken, there could be a lot of guys that choose to leave.

Reactions: MoyerJones
This is fantastic news for us. Now the path back to greatness is a little easier. Franklin is surely eager to flip a few recruits as well.

They had 12 guys selected just a couple years ago.

Will they have that many selected this year?
I don't think there will be 12 taken in the draft, but there are a lot of very good senior players leaving and there will be a number of players leaving early in addition to Bosa. Not sure if Meyer retiring will trigger some of those to leave who would have stayed. The players seem to really like Day, but hard to know how it will be viewed in the short term. I won't be surprised if Haskins heads to the NFL the way be is being talked about.

At any rate, big test for Day and Co. right out of the box the next couple of weeks to see if they close on the early recruits.

I am actually surprised Ohio State did not wait until the day after signing day in Feb to announce.

Wait what? Larry Johnson isn’t being made the coach? Is he going to go to Michigan now?
To be fair I think LJ was toxic because he coached for Joe.

Just think of how things might have been different if our BOT would have fought to defend the reputation of the university. Look at how OSU dealt with spousal abuse issue or the wrestlers accusing their assistant coach of ignoring sexual assault complaints. Not to mention how MSU BOT handled the Nassar issue.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-urban-meyer-step-ohio-state-head-coach-123250805.html
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer plans to step down and will coach his final game in the Rose Bowl, sources told Yahoo Sports.

A myriad of factors contributed to Meyer’s decision, but sources say foremost among them was his happiness with the state of the Ohio State program he inherited seven years ago. Meyer, 54, will be replaced by Ryan Day, the 39-year-old offensive coordinator who served as Ohio State’s interim coach earlier this season. The university will announce Day as the permanent replacement on Tuesday, and the team was scheduled to be informed in a meeting early Tuesday morning.

With the Buckeyes coming off back-to-back Big Ten titles, Meyer views this as a similar transition to Oklahoma in 2017 when Bob Stoops handed over the Sooner program to Lincoln Riley.

The Rose Bowl against Washington on Jan. 1 will mark Meyer’s last game, a fitting ending for an Ohio native who grew up watching Woody Hayes coach in Rose Bowls. Meyer has never coached in the Rose Bowl, and he’ll enter it with a record of 186-32.

Meyer’s career helped define a generation of college football, as he helped usher the spread offense into the mainstream by leading Utah to an undefeated season and Fiesta Bowl victory in 2004. Meyer went on to win two BCS titles at Florida, where he coached Tim Tebow to the Heisman Trophy and dueled with Nick Saban and Les Miles to help fuel the rise of the SEC.

Meyer closed his career in Columbus, where he led the Buckeyes to the 2014 national title and finished his seven seasons 82-9 with a winning percentage just over 90 percent, a 7-0 record against rival Michigan and a 54-4 record in regular season Big Ten play.

Meyer finishes with three national championships – two BCS titles at Florida and a College Football Playoff title at Ohio State. He also led two other undefeated seasons separate from the title winners – Utah in 2004 and Ohio State in 2012. He can still add to his 11-3 bowl record in Pasadena.

The timing of the announcement so soon after the regular season came because Ohio State officials wanted to be open and transparent with recruits, sources said, as coaches are out on the road this week putting together the 2019 class. Ohio State has 15 verbal commitments, but the class has been generally static compared to past years as recruits and their families waited on Meyer to address his future.

Part of the reasoning for Meyer stepping down stemmed from his health. He’s endured painful and aggressive headaches as a result of a congenital arachnoid cyst in his brain. He had brain surgery in 2014 to help relieve the pain, but it had returned in spurts the past two seasons and, at times, limited him from performing the job with the required intensity.

The image of Meyer dropped to a knee and hunched over in pain has resonated as one of the dominant images in college football this season. Doctors had begun to caution Meyer about long-term risks.

The decision comes at the end of a tumultuous season for Meyer, as he was suspended for all of summer training camp and the season’s first three weeks in the wake of an investigation into allegations of illegal and illicit behavior by a former assistant coach. A subsequent suspension forced Meyer to miss the season’s first three games.
I'm no Urban Meyer fan but he's one of the few who had the class to attend Joe's memorial service. Jay said that Meyer had two pictures of himself with Joe in his office to this day.

I'm no Urban Meyer fan but he's one of the few who had the class to attend Joe's memorial service. Jay said that Meyer had two pictures of himself with Joe in his office to this day.
Yup, and he is also a fervent Christian that claims to have spent much time in bible study with Aaron Hernandez. Jay can have him.

I know I'm stupid, but here it goes. Why isn't Tosu conducting a national search for leyer's replacement? Is Day the best option?

Not exactly shocking news. Doubt that there will be much of a drop off short term under Day, if any, but who knows. Day seems to be a very good coach but unsure about how good of a recruiter he is.

I do wonder what LJ's future will be

I think they will have a few drop offs.., apparently one of the reason some top recruits holding back on commitments...

This.. IMO opinion is really good for PSU of course...

I also wonder... if some of the Big 10 East Conference Coaches ultimately agree with Franklins latest statements.,, it will be so incredibly difficult.., for a Big 10 Team to make the Final 4.. with how the current structure is set up.,, clearly delaney does not care because he has his big TV deal... and committed not changing there ways anytime soon...

May actually take a lawsuit from another team or conference against the NCAA to have this selection process changed...

Shows how little you know about OSU.

Because Weber was originally committed to Michigan before he flipped to Ohio State. Then he almost flipped back once the Wolverines hired Harbaugh, but he stuck with his choice to join Urban Meyer. He gave the Buckeyes his signature.

Then the day after National Signing Day, Ohio State running backs coach Stan Drayton took a job in the NFL with the Chicago Bears. Weber, who spoke to Drayton in the early hours of National Signing Day, felt torn and deceived when he heard the news.

Now months later, on the day he reports to Ohio State, Weber addressed the issue publicly for the first time.

"It was really upsetting. It just felt like I wasn't satisfied," Weber told Northeast Ohio Media Group on Friday. "It just felt like I couldn't trust anything or anybody. I had to realize that this is a business, a part of the game. It woke me up a lot."

When the Drayton situation first happened, Meyer looked like the bad guy. Cass Tech coach Thomas Wilcher told Northeast Ohio Media Group that he and Weber felt deceived.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT