ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 6 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

Some folks will point out that Penn State only had one PA guy in its starting lineup this year (although I still claim 2 - the Lee’s moved to State College a year before Nick enrolled).

Such pontification ignores the importance of a strong wrestling room of committed and skilled wrestling partners helping the starter become a national champion.

Penn State’s practice room is an abundance of PA state placers (who would been state champs in other states) and a few from our strong wrestling neighboring states of NY and (especially) NJ. The importance of a strong practice room cannot be overstated.

Two: Carter and Edsell.

But your point is well taken. The room is very strong and there's lots of other PA studs in it. Also, top top talent isn't always centered in PA year to year so it's partially timing on how many starters are PA bred as Cael is after the best of the best nationwide.

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat

But your point is well taken. The room is very strong and there's lots of other PA studs in it. Also, top top talent isn't always centered in PA year to year so it's partially timing on how many starters are PA bred as Cael is after the best of the best nationwide.
Apologies to Edsell. I’ll fix it.

Some recruits think our practices are too much fun, not tough enough.

They do well with the hand they're dealt.
Someone mentioned Jake Herbert training in Russia one summer. They emphasize wrestling shorter goes. 6-7 minutes. I think this is part of the secret sauce psu uses. Less injuries and better time management during matches. I know they explained it better. On, just a second, HR I think.

Reactions: dsites52
I really don’t understand how any top recruits who watch this tournament and listens to the wrestlers talk end up going anywhere else. Seriously, it doesn’t make sense. Penn State has proven year after year that if you want to be the best wrestler and person you can be you absolutely have to come there.
College choices are sometimes more than what offers the wrestler the best wrestling situation. It also what offers the student the best education choices. ( Example would be Cornell and it Vetrinariun program which I believe gets expidiated if you do Bachelor Program there.) Also you have to bring in the financial consideration on the individual and family.
It's easy to forget college choice is a big picture choice.

Reactions: dsites52
How many PA wrestlers did Cael have in his 1st National Championship Team??? Cael has now produced 32 Individual National Champions at PSU - care to tell me how many hailed from PA?
In just thinking about it without the benefit of referral; Nico, Jason, Quinten, Vincenzo, Zain and Carter. Probably forgetting someone. All multiple time champs excepting Nico. Spencer got away. Obviously these aren’t in his first year. They own 13 of the 32 championships. By far the most of any state. Just remembered Ed Ruth { how could I forget him}, that makes 16 of 32. 50% is a pretty good indication that Pa. is the Mecca of high school wrestling.

Last edited:

Yes, but the point is that Cael said he was leaving ISU, his Alma Mater, for PSU because he could build an unassailable Dynasty at PSU off the overwhelming strength of the Pennsylvania wrestling... and that is precisely what he proceeded to do. Yes Cael can get more-or-less his pick of the litter Nationally now, but that wasn't the case when he first came - he built the foundation of his Dynasty on Pennsylvania wrestling and it is now unassailable just as Cael predicted his Dynasty Building Project would go.

Back around 2014 or 15 I was always pimpin the idea over on HR that Cael was in the middle of making State College area the absolute center of wrestling in the United States. Me and other fans were laughed off their boards when we laid out Caels exact plan for how he was going to achieve that. We said first, he was gonna build the premier college program in the country. Second, he was going to build the absolute best RTC and club. And third, his athletes would then spread across the country getting into coaching and building their clubs.

This is exactly what’s happened and they absolutely can’t stand it.

State College is the Mecca of Wrestling in the USA!
Screenshots or it didn’t happen.

Joking aside, it would be kinda fun to see some of those prescient posts you made about that on HR. Although I suspect HR has long since scrubbed (and bleached) their board of any evidence that you and your multiple personalities were ever there. 😂

Maybe misread what was said there. He was saying that Iowa could have had Suriano, Yanni and Gable on their team and PSU would have still won the title. To me that’s quite a compliment to what PSU just did this weekend.
I think the original was speculation about those 2 actually considering/trying to get in PSU, and the other thread was an Iowa fan just doing math, (😳) since None of the three even considered going to Iowa…

Reactions: KCLion
Back around 2014 or 15 I was always pimpin the idea over on HR that Cael was in the middle of making State College area the absolute center of wrestling in the United States. Me and other fans were laughed off their boards when we laid out Caels exact plan for how he was going to achieve that. We said first, he was gonna build the premier college program in the country. Second, he was going to build the absolute best RTC and club. And third, his athletes would then spread across the country getting into coaching and building their clubs.

This is exactly what’s happened and they absolutely can’t stand it.

State College is the Mecca of Wrestling in the USA!
Pimpin' ain't easy.

f5b.gif

Rewatching the finals. Now that I know Carter has a broken hand I find myself look at some of the finer things during his match. I noticed at about 1:10 left in the 3rd, Mekhi got to his feet and was prying off the grip of Carters injured hand.. You can really see Carter grimacing in pain trying to hold on. Kid toughed that match out for sure!

Rewatching the finals. Now that I know Carter has a broken hand I find myself look at some of the finer things during his match. I noticed at about 1:10 left in the 3rd, Mekhi got to his feet and was prying off the grip of Carters injured hand.. You can really see Carter grimacing in pain trying to hold on. Kid toughed that match out for sure!
Also on Lewis' first shot, Carter defending with a shin whizzer using his broken hand.

I can't imagine sustaining a grip with a broken hand for any period of time.

2023:
125: Howard 5th 10 points
133: Bravo-Young 1st 24.5 points
141: Bartlett 5th 10 points
149: Van Ness 3rd 14.5 points
157: Haines 1st 22 points
165: Facundo 7th 6.5 points
174: Starocci 1st 23.5 points
184: Brooks 1st 22 points
197: Dean 1st 22 points
HWT: Kerkvliet 1st 23 points

Penn State 1st 178 points
Brooks and Dean are slacking in your forecast

you see Bob Suriano in the background front row, off yellow shirt, slick backed hair. Next to vixen with long black hair
Bob is already planning Nick's next transfer and how Bob will profit. Yes I know Nick is out of eligibility, but part of Bob's plan is a lawsuit demanding 2 more years.

Reactions: danoftw
Per Byers, under Cael Sanderson, PSU has averaged 3.5 Finalists per year. Unbelievable.

Cael now moves into #3 all time with 9 titles.
I count 45 finalists in the 11 tournaments back to, and including 2011, for an average of 4.1!
If you include 2010, then it's 47 finalists in 12 tournaments, for 3.9.

Since 2011, PSU has been 45-5 in the semi's (as noted on the broadcast). I looked up those 45 finalists and their finals record is 32-13 (71%). Over the past 5 years (without Taylor and Ruth) they have been an amazing 21-3.

Baffles me when I go over to HR to appreciate Kem and then I just see them saying RBY biggest staller they've ever seen... yet overlooking the fact RBY scored as many points through the semis as ADS did, right? Hilarious!
HR ain't the brightest. As a matter of fact, it is unlawful to even use bright in a sentence with HR unless you also use "ain't".

Reactions: danoftw
A lot of discussion, as per usual, about how PSU wins on recruiting alone. And while it is true that PSU recruits well, so does Iowa. Someone please correct me, but Marinelli, Kemerer and Warner were just as highly touted as recruits as several of our guys that won championships last night. That’s not a knock on them; instead I think it serves as an indication of how good our coaches and support staff are.

Maybe someone with access to historical recruiting rankings can do some sort of comparison of what % of top 10 recruits become champions at each school.

Edit: I believe Cass was a very high recruit too

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
build an unassailable Dynasty at PSU off the overwhelming strength of the Pennsylvania wrestling... and that is precisely what he proceeded to do
For sure Cael recognized the untapped potential of Penn State wrestling in the heart of the greatest wrestling state.

But Cael has also graciously recognized the foundation as being laid by Coach Lorenzo's vision for an Olympic RTC and Ira Lubert's financial support. Cael similarly recognizes his father, family, and upbringing for his personal foundation.

I believe these factors contribute much more to Penn State and it's recent wrestling performance. I credit these factors for attracting the wrestlers we've come to admire and for whom we have been privileged to provide our support.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Cant wait for the David Carr era in blue and white
David spent a lot of time this past summer wrestling in Lorenzo and M2, and I was really hoping he was going to end up in blue and white this year.
Now with Levi pacing around his cage devouring dozens of raw steaks at a time, I like what we have.
Besides that, I really want ISU to beat Iowa.

Reactions: Ja1339
well we all know by the end of the season all teams have lots of injuries just that iowa likes to make excuses other teams dont!!

A lot of discussion, as per usual, about how PSU wins on recruiting alone. And while it is true that PSU recruits well, so does Iowa. Someone please correct me, but Marinelli, Kemerer and Warner were just as highly touted as recruits as several of our guys that won championships last night. That’s not a knock on them; instead I think it serves as an indication of how good our coaches and support staff are.

Maybe someone with access to historical recruiting rankings can do some sort of comparison of what % of top 10 recruits become champions at each school.
If recruiting was all it took, wouldn't Ohio State be enjoying their dynasty?

Last edited:
As per a Willie tweet, PSU's champs this year were ranked:
#9 (and Willie was likely the only one with him in the top 10)

Bottom line is we get a lot of top recruits, but we also put a waaaaay higher percentage of them on the top of the podium than any other program.
I saw that tweet; Warner was #7. What were Marinelli, Kemerer and Cassioppi?

They're not wrong.
Could be Warner was getting damn tired, and the lack of quality in the shot indicates that is a strong probability, so he decided to give it a shot.

By the way, I can't remember- did I wish you and your wife a Happy Anniversary. If I haven't consider the wish given "Happy Anniversary!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT