ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 6 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

I agree with this sentiment. But I think some athletes are wired differently and are drawn to a team where they can be the top dog or biggest star rather than sharing the spotlight with other stars. (Suriano?) Others may view themselves as "market disrupters" who want to go to an underdog and help build/re-build that team to be competitive with the Penn States of the world. (Spencer Lee?) Still others might be drawn to a sentimental childhood favorite team. (Real Woods?)

I'm not saying those are their only or even primary motivations, but I suspect they play a factor in the decision making for some.
Spencer chose Iowa mostly because of their lightweight world team trial results, and no one could blame him. A Princeton, Cornell, Duke or Stanford degree speaks for themselves. After that, if what a kid wants is a national championship then there is a single choice, PSU. Everybody else is a backup plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
Back around 2014 or 15 I was always pimpin the idea over on HR that Cael was in the middle of making State College area the absolute center of wrestling in the United States. Me and other fans were laughed off their boards when we laid out Caels exact plan for how he was going to achieve that. We said first, he was gonna build the premier college program in the country. Second, he was going to build the absolute best RTC and club. And third, his athletes would then spread across the country getting into coaching and building their clubs.

This is exactly what’s happened and they absolutely can’t stand it.

State College is the Mecca of Wrestling in the USA!
JS, no offense but this is your 6-7 post this weekend where you open up with … people laughing at you. You aren’t a victim. Your team just won a team championship and 5 individual champs.

JS, no offense but this is your 6-7 post this weekend where you open up with … people laughing at you. You aren’t a victim. Your team just won a team championship and 5 individual champs.
Those posts are directed toward my Iowa buddies and they know it. It’s this thing we do to keep things moving along amongst ourselves. And do you really think I feel like a victim? You don’t know me very well then. When they do laugh at me I’m always expecting them to and run me off their board. Why would I do that you might ask? Because when the seasons over I like to remind them of it all. Wouldn’t be any fun if I didn’t. :)

More to your point though, I haven’t changed my m.o. on these boards for years if ever. It’s my thing to “play” with Hawk fans and it’s their thing to “toy” with me. I don’t think it’ll change so probably best to just block my posts from now on so you don’t have to deal with it.

K…. Good talk. Btw, no offense taken…

Last edited:
Also on Lewis' first shot, Carter defending with a shin whizzer using his broken hand.

I can't imagine sustaining a grip with a broken hand for any period of time.
Yeah, but you aren't Carter. Dude is a different animal. So brutal physically and in honesty, yet humble. There is a level of mental toughness in that kid that may be on a 1 in a million level.

Ask Willie, but I would guess that Marinelli was top 5ish, Kem top 10ish and Cassioppi top 20ish. Very similar to our guys. Iowa had a good haul recently, but still are not putting guys on top of the podium besides Spencer.
And to sound a little HRish, Spencer could have gone to Old Dominion, the Citadel, Bloomsburg or SUNY-Bing and been a 3 time champ.

In Cael’s first championship 4-peat, PSU averaged 144.9 pts at Big Tens and 121.0 pts at NCAAs. PSU had 14 individual champions at Big Tens and 8 at NCAAs.

2011-2014:
- 83.5% pts at NCAAs vs Big Tens
- 57.1 % (individual) NCAA champions vs Big Tens

In his second 4-peat, things changed dramatically. 146.5 pts avg at Big Tens and 137.1 pts avg at NCAAs. 12 individual champions at Big Tens and 14 at NCAAs.

(The points and individual champions at Big Tens remained about the same, but they increased tremendously at NCAAs.)

2016-2019:
- 93.6% pts NCAAs vs Big Tens
- 116.7 % (individual) NCAA champs vs Big Tens

The 2016+ trend has continued these past two seasons:

2021-2022:
- 92.3% pts at NCAAs vs Big Tens
- 150% (individual) NCAA champs vs Big Tens

I’ve often wondered if the 2014-2015 season was much more than just a “punt” year. The statistics seem to indicate that there may have been a substantive change in training philosophy. Or at least in post-season training focus.

Or maybe they just got better at what they do. But things changed considerably after the 2014-2015 reset and they were pretty darn good even before it.

Last edited:
Could be Warner was getting damn tired, and the lack of quality in the shot indicates that is a strong probability, so he decided to give it a shot.

By the way, I can't remember- did I wish you and your wife a Happy Anniversary. If I haven't consider the wish given "Happy Anniversary!"
Thanks for remembering!

This week was our 10th anniversary -- 2012 -- which according to HR logic means our relationship had started 2 years before.

In Cael’s first championship 4-peat, PSU averaged 144.9 pts at Big Tens and 121.0 pts at NCAAs. PSU had 14 individual champions at Big Tens and 8 at NCAAs.

2011-2014:

In his second 4-peat, things changed dramatically. 146.5 pts avg at Big Tens and 137.1 pts avg at NCAAs. 12 individual champions at Big Tens and 14 at NCAAs.

(The points and individual champions at Big Tens remained about the same, but they increased tremendously at NCAAs.)

2016-2019:

2021-2022:

I’ve often wondered if the 2014-2015 season was much more than just a “punt” year. The statistics seem to indicate that there may have been a substantive change in training philosophy. Or at least in post-season training focus.

Or maybe they just got better at what they do. But things changed considerably after the 2014-2015 reset and they were pretty darn good even before it.
Since 2016:

PSU scores 93.2% as many pts at NCAAs as they do at Big Tens.

Iowa is at 76.3%.

Ok just to be clear, this is NOT Lemon Pie posting under another name, but there’s one more thing about the PSU team that never gets mentioned. The whole team is a bunch of really good looking guys! Wish there were a few women posting here too. I’d like to hear their opinion.

Ok just to be clear, this is NOT Lemon Pie posting under another name, but there’s one more thing about the PSU team that never gets mentioned. The whole team is a bunch of really good looking guys! Wish there were a few women posting here too. I’d like to hear their opinion.
If it weren’t for those damn ears…;)

Reactions: Lyons212

seinfeld-not-that-theres-anything-wrong-with-that.gif

How many PA wrestlers did Cael have in his 1st National Championship Team??? Cael has now produced 32 Individual National Champions at PSU - care to tell me how many hailed from PA?
Zain, Nolf, Vincenzo, Nico, Quinton are five I can count off the top of my head. They also account for 11 titles among them

In just thinking about it without the benefit of referral; Nico, Jason, Quinten, Vincenzo, Zain and Carter. Probably forgetting someone. All multiple time champs excepting Nico. Spencer got away. Obviously these aren’t in his first year. They own 13 of the 32 championships. By far the most of any state. Just remembered Ed Ruth { how could I forget him}, that makes 16 of 32. 50% is a pretty good indication that Pa. is the Mecca of high school wrestling.

Zain, Nolf, Vincenzo, Nico, Quinton are five I can count off the top of my head. They also account for 11 titles among them

Cael has produced 32 Individual Champions in his tenure at PSU including this year - 50% of them were won by Pennsylvania Scholastic wrestlers. In his first 5 years, Cael produced 8 Individual Champions, 5 of which were Pennsylvania Scholastic wrestling products. Given that the Iowa posters were ridiculing Cael's statements regarding building a dynasty in Pennsylvania, I'd have to say Cael's comments were pretty prescient, while those of his Iowa critics were pretty shortsighted and ignorant.

Cael has produced 32 Individual Champions in his tenure at PSU including this year - 50% of them were won by Pennsylvania Scholastic wrestlers. In his first 5 years, Cael produced 8 Individual Champions, 5 of which were Pennsylvania Scholastic wrestling products. Given that the Iowa posters were ridiculing Cael's statements regarding building a dynasty in Pennsylvania, I'd have to say Cael's comments were pretty prescient, while those of his Iowa critics were pretty shortsighted and ignorant.
I think it was the Iowa refusal to acknowledge that PA was the best state in the country for high school wrestling. They still cling to that belief today. I hope it continues to serve them well long into the future (sarcasm font for this last sentence). 😉

Minnesota's or PSU's?
I mean wtf. Of course psu. What are you talking about. Why would anyone want a Minnesota tshirt. Because one guy won it. We had 5 and a team champ. If you want to buy a Minnesota shirt then you are on the wrong site.

Ask Willie, but I would guess that Marinelli was top 5ish, Kem top 10ish and Cassioppi top 20ish. Very similar to our guys. Iowa had a good haul recently, but still are not putting guys on top of the podium besides Spencer.
outside of the top x, what the PSU guys are doing is winning multiple championships... that is difficult no matter what the recruit #

Reactions: nitlion6

2011-2014:

2016-2019:

2021-2022:

So, you're sayin... Cael had a plan?

2011-2014:

2016-2019:

2021-2022:

Yes he redshirted a bunch of guys and gave it to osu.

I think it was the Iowa refusal to acknowledge that PA was the best state in the country for high school wrestling. They still cling to that belief today. I hope it continues to serve them well long into the future (sarcasm font for this last sentence). 😉
nope, now they say it is simply due to PA's population compared to Iowa's

45 qualifiers from Pa; 13 from Iowa.

12 AAs from PA; 1 from Iowa.

PA had basically the same number of AAs as Iowa had qualifiers.

after dean won, espn was real quick last night to show a chart of schools and the years they had 5 champs at nattys.

i didn’t see it long enough; anyone know the details? i think iowa did it once and okie state too, when cormier was there as he was talking about the list they were showing

after dean won, espn was real quick last night to show a chart of schools and the years they had 5 champs at nattys.

i didn’t see it long enough; anyone know the details? i think iowa did it once and okie state too, when cormier was there as he was talking about the list they were showing
Iowa twice. 1986 and 1997.

2005 OKST.

Penn State twice. 2017 and 2022.

Several schools did it twice like we did. He was saying ok state 2005 was best. The other guy said no bias there.
I think only two schools have done it twice. The other being Iowa.

Several schools did it twice like we did. He was saying ok state 2005 was best. The other guy said no bias there.

Several schools have done it twice like PSU? Don't think so, pretty sure Iowa is the only other school other than PSU to record 5 Chanps two different years. Cormier's Alma Mater, Okie State, has only done it once I believe.... and those are the only 5 teams that have ever recorded 5 Champs in a single season (i.e., PSU 2x, Iowa 2x and Okie State 1x).

Reactions: mcpat
Anyone else notice Lewis’s Dad class act of embracing Carter after his win?

I spent the whole weekend sitting directly across the aisle from his dad (and the entire VaTech contingent). They were great fans, very into the action, not obnoxious, and seemed to be enjoying themselves through the highs and lows.

I got a nice photo of Mekhi hugging his dad after he returned to the stands last night after the finals. I’ll try to figure out how to post it since this board inexplicably doesn’t allow uploading photos to posts.

45 qualifiers from Pa; 13 from Iowa.

12 AAs from PA; 1 from Iowa.

PA had basically the same number of AAs as Iowa had qualifiers.
why do we always hear about how many more people Pa has than iowa but we dont hear Pa say how many more people tx fla cal have???LOL they are a joke

why do we always hear about how many more people Pa has than iowa but we dont hear Pa say how many more people tx fla cal have???LOL they are a joke
Not to mention, the big population centers in PA (Philly, city of Pittsburgh) normally don't produce much talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT