ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session IV -- National Semis!

This conversation overall is nothing short of silly. It’s almost as if no parent, wife or family of a losing team or individual has ever been shown live. Or players crying with their head in their hands. TV’s catch this all the time. All the time. It would have been special treatment to have ignored her at the moment of defeat.

Dare I say it? We should all move on. There’s nothing to see here.

🤦🏻‍♂️
The humanity in me wants to be more empathetic since I've never lost or known anyone who's lost at NCAA's. But I've also never been attached to someone winning the whole thing 3 times. Mrs. Lee's reaction felt a bit performative. And I don't know whether its because she knew the spotlight was on her or because it happened to capture her.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
My wife was concerned yesterday. She came into my den and asked, "Are you alright? Did somebody from Penn State lose?"
I said, '"No, I was just calling the pin. He was pinned!" I suppose maybe I was screaming "He's pinned!"

Guess who.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
ok men Spencer is a Pa kid and I certainly wanted him to win his 4th I really like him but he lost its over so quit your whining iowa only mistake he made was not going to PSU!!

One of my wrestlers was up against a kid who had beaten him time and again in the finals of a major tournament. He was losing again until the final few seconds when he threw a chin whip for 2 and 3 and won the bout. When his hand was raised, his opponent's mother ran on to the mat to confront the ref. "You're wrong. He never loses to that kid! My son won!"
Some people.
btw, my kid never lost to him again. My kid later was tied with Ray Brinzer, 9-9 in the 3rd period of state semi's. My kid lost. A wrestling family. His brother lost to an Erie Carr in the finals one year. His nephew lost the finals on a referee's position violation another year. Oh well.

Last edited:
I nearly threw my remote at the screen when they cut to Vito walking off the mat as they were scrambling.

McGee definitely panicked in OT. He took a terrible shot from distance then tried to scramble out of it.

RBY’s body language after he got behind was what I’d point out to my wrestlers. He just kept coming forward and creating opportunities
This is precisely why I paid the $9.99 to get ESPN+. I had our guys on the computer while watching the TV -- until they cut away.

I won’t laugh at the mom because I think that’s lame. But I also think the defending of her is lame as well. Crying is one thing and a reasonable response. Breaking your glasses like a child shows a middle aged mother with the emotional maturity of a child. Therapy would do her well to learn how to process emotions in a healthy manner.
I can understand mom's disappointment and distress. But the eyeglasses-snapping hissy fit IS funny, for the sole reason that most mature adults don't respond in that manner. Just last night we saw Quincy Monday's father shake his head and mutter an expletive when his kid lost, but there was no hissy fit. Granted, not a true apples-to-apples comparison because Monday losing to Carr wasn't a massive upset like Lee losing to Ramos was, but Monday's dad acted like an adult.

Spencer has been beating the snot out of his opponents for years, but when a big one went against him, mom couldn't handle it and took it out on her glasses. Not all may agree, but I find that quite humorous.

It takes a certain level of arrogance or lack of awareness to offer the “wusses” statement. Some just eat their own press releases. His actions with Ayala foreshadowed if “wusses” didn’t. He has one excuse and it rests with him. C’est la Vie.

Hardware lasts forever. He has three NC’s to hang on his mantle and we will see how he reacts today.
I suspect the "excuses are for wussies" statement was a by-product of the Iowa/Brands culture.

Just last night we saw Quincy Monday's father shake his head and mutter an expletive when his kid lost, but there was no hissy fit. Granted, not a true apples-to-apples comparison because Monday losing to Carr wasn't a massive upset like Lee losing to Ramos was, but Monday's dad acted like an adult.
Coach Monday will need to curb the on-camera cursing next year when Morgan State starts competing.

Agree with your point -- that loss was no less personal, but better handled.

Carter makes Cael’s “you got a plan?” quote seem like kid’s stuff in this baby.
Starocci -
"Nothing in my mind except crushing the guy in front of me."
"What close matches have I had?'
"That's was a weird question; I think we'll just go to the next one."
"I wish this was like the Roman days."
"We'll see who has the bigger balls."
(talking about the finals match with Labriola)
"Dude, do you know who I am?" (talking about a remark from Haines)

LOL

The humanity in me wants to be more empathetic since I've never lost or known anyone who's lost at NCAA's. But I've also never been attached to someone winning the whole thing 3 times. Mrs. Lee's reaction felt a bit performative. And I don't know whether its because she knew the spotlight was on her or because it happened to capture her.
It was almost like she never wanted to see anything else out of those glasses that watched her son lose. Metaphorically of course or literally. Either way it was symbolic for sure

Starocci -
"Nothing in my mind except crushing the guy in front of me."
"What close matches have I had?'
"That's was a weird question; I think we'll just go to the next one."
"I wish this was like the Roman days."
"We'll see who has the bigger balls."
(talking about the finals match with Labriola)
"Dude, do you know who I am?" (talking about a remark from Haines)

LOL
Carter should be Byers' post-match interview for every match.

Reactions: creamery freak
Woke up and went through this thread. Drunk posting isn’t a good thing to do. Haha! Sorry if I offended anyone. Congrats again on the soon to be title.
So what you're telling us is that you really were drunk! I do know a good rehab program that you might want to join. 😁

Or because she needs a screw or two tightened. No wonder they hit it off so well with the Brands brothers.

Sat down at table at Buffalo Wild Wings, we are probably 5-6 miles from arena, a lady (30s/40s??) and a grandmotherly lady sit down next to us. Younger gal wearing Penn State beanie. I strike up a conversation: “you ladies went to wrestling tonight?” Grandma: “oh yes, what fun!” Her husband joins us Penn State hat on: “you guys Penn State fans?” Grandma says “I’m Carter’s grandmother. His dad will be right in.”

Let me tell you, these mfs were as Salt of the earth as it gets. His dad would fit right in here, which is probably why he isn’t here. Some fun stuff:

First thing he said is it is unbelievable how many different people involved with the program make it work and how much he is saying “thank you.”

TnT never called. They were not dynamite.

OSU visit was Ryan giving a hell of a tour of the under-construction Covelli center. Not a whole lot of asking what Carter was looking for.

First time they met Cael, Cael asked Carter how long Carter has been a PSU wrestling fan. Carter said he really wasn’t. Cael asked him who he did like, Carter said he kind of liked OSU football.

Foca hit a pederson roll on Carter at the end of the match when they were 9 and Carter was saved by the bell. Carter learned to ride Foca after that.

Stories of Casey riding guys for an hour at a time are very true. Carter called and told his dad it happened to him and how he was real pissed off about it. Then a few weeks later Carter’s dad heard the podcast where Ed Ruth told the same story.

Carter did an interview, I think with Flo, and mentioned his dad getting hot in the stands at IOWA. Carter gave PG, his dad gave R. LMFAO.

Grandma and Grandpap are over the moon. First time going to NCAA. Grandma asked for my phone number. Said if there are seats available tonight she will let me know and I can sit with them front row.
I sat next to them at Big Tens. They were a joy to visit with for 2 days

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT