ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session IV -- National Semis!

Heard she was looking for PSUPaul after she bent up her glasses.
Except she couldn’t see me!

The antics of the Iowa wrestling families is childish. I don’t care if it is heart breaking, my son had many heartbreaking matches, granted not on those stages. I still never destroyed anything or searched out some random fan to berate them.

I didn’t make a special point of watching his matches over the years but I watched many of his matches this year. While incredibly dominant, he also gave up quite a number of back points this season. Was that always the case? If not, what happened this year? Was it just time spent off the mat with injuries that caused his general positioning to decline?
It takes a certain level of arrogance or lack of awareness to offer the “wusses” statement. Some just eat their own press releases. His actions with Ayala foreshadowed if “wusses” didn’t. He has one excuse and it rests with him. C’est la Vie.

Hardware lasts forever. He has three NC’s to hang on his mantle and we will see how he reacts today.

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
I’ve got no problem with the Hawk fans that frequent this board.
I’ve got no problem with Spencer Lee that would make me root against him as a person.
But if I had to watch another montage of how his childhood Care Bear collection made him the wrestler he is today (was yesterday?), I’d need to go find Tom Brands’ bent shoe and puke in it. So…Matt Ramos is one of my favorites today. I’m so grateful that I got to watch that happen, even if on my tv from the couch…well… I actually left my couch. 🤷‍♂️

Do you recall the camera going live to the mom of the losing wrestler in any other match?
Shouldn't the Lee's have expected the camera to be on them whether Spencer won or lost? I mean they seemed to have fully embraced being in the spotlight every time a damn Iowa match was broadcast on TV. Think they cared some other kids parents had to watch them celebrate Spencer destroying their son? At first I thought it was a shitty move on espns part. Now that I slept on it, I'm ok with it. Had she acted rational no one would even remember they put heron camera.

I won’t laugh at the mom because I think that’s lame. But I also think the defending of her is lame as well. Crying is one thing and a reasonable response. Breaking your glasses like a child shows a middle aged mother with the emotional maturity of a child. Therapy would do her well to learn how to process emotions in a healthy manner.
Spencer just inked an NIL deal with LensCrafters. Buy one pair, get two free.

I’d say it was on her to catch how happy they were when he won, I’m sure the broadcasters didn’t predict this either.
Hundreds of parental reactions over the years. First one like a pouty baby.

Shouldn't the Lee's have expected the camera to be on them whether Spencer won or lost? I mean they seemed to have fully embraced being in the spotlight every time a damn Iowa match was broadcast on TV. Think they cared some other kids parents had to watch them celebrate Spencer destroying their son? At first I thought it was a shitty move on espns part. Now that I slept on it, I'm ok with it. Had she acted rational no one would even remember they put heron camera.
They seemed really ok with the cameras for 5 years. Probably ok with last night. Everyone else playing victim for them.

They didn’t show her live. They showed her reaction after the match was over.

One thing that hasn't changed is that the Media does love drama, good and bad.
Dirty laundry

Vito ain't as fast as McGee, sorry. Now that may or may not be the difference but no way is Vito as fast as Mcgee
Saw Vito over at VT earlier this season. He looked pretty pedestrian. Maybe he was a bit off, but, no way is he as quick as McGee. He holds position well and can attack left & right …..but, tends to rely on a very good counter. If RBY exercises a modicum of caution, he should win by 2-3. If RBY gets an early takedown he might roll big as it’s his last rodeo.

Sat down at table at Buffalo Wild Wings, we are probably 5-6 miles from arena, a lady (30s/40s??) and a grandmotherly lady sit down next to us. Younger gal wearing Penn State beanie. I strike up a conversation: “you ladies went to wrestling tonight?” Grandma: “oh yes, what fun!” Her husband joins us Penn State hat on: “you guys Penn State fans?” Grandma says “I’m Carter’s grandmother. His dad will be right in.”

Let me tell you, these mfs were as Salt of the earth as it gets. His dad would fit right in here, which is probably why he isn’t here. Some fun stuff:

First thing he said is it is unbelievable how many different people involved with the program make it work and how much he is saying “thank you.”

TnT never called. They were not dynamite.

OSU visit was Ryan giving a hell of a tour of the under-construction Covelli center. Not a whole lot of asking what Carter was looking for.

First time they met Cael, Cael asked Carter how long Carter has been a PSU wrestling fan. Carter said he really wasn’t. Cael asked him who he did like, Carter said he kind of liked OSU football.

Foca hit a pederson roll on Carter at the end of the match when they were 9 and Carter was saved by the bell. Carter learned to ride Foca after that.

Stories of Casey riding guys for an hour at a time are very true. Carter called and told his dad it happened to him and how he was real pissed off about it. Then a few weeks later Carter’s dad heard the podcast where Ed Ruth told the same story.

Carter did an interview, I think with Flo, and mentioned his dad getting hot in the stands at IOWA. Carter gave PG, his dad gave R. LMFAO.

Grandma and Grandpap are over the moon. First time going to NCAA. Grandma asked for my phone number. Said if there are seats available tonight she will let me know and I can sit with them front row.

Last edited:
Anyway… this morning, we have:

6 Bartlett vs 11 Carlson in the consolation semifinal, a rematch of their R2 match won by Beau 3-2. The other consolation semifinal is 10 McNeil vs 4 Hardy.

12 Van Ness vs 4 Henson, who Rooks beat in R2. Henson has won four consolation matches since the loss to Rooks. The other consolation semifinal is 8 Murin vs 3 Parco.

And in the 7th place medal match at 197, it’s 9 Dean vs 11 Kane. Kane lost in R1 to 22 Hawks, then won four straight consolation matches before losing to Romero.

Reactions: eddy line
I won’t laugh at the mom because I think that’s lame. But I also think the defending of her is lame as well. Crying is one thing and a reasonable response. Breaking your glasses like a child shows a middle aged mother with the emotional maturity of a child. Therapy would do her well to learn how to process emotions in a healthy manner.
My wife said the exact same this morning. And noted how it will most likely traumatize Spencer for the rest of his life after seeing it. Imagine a parent being *that disappointed* in you just because you lost a wrestling match.

I can't recall seeing anyone do what Ramos did there. It started out like a head pinch and turned into a modified assassin. I had speculated that if Lee ever lost again it would be in the third because he was gassed. I don't think he was gassed here, Ramos just pulled a rabbit out of his hat, one of the most creative moves imaginable at the perfect time in the biggest match of the year. All respect in the world for Matt Ramos.
I was driving at the time and didn't get to see it until much later. (BTW, Byers' voice cracked just like when Cenzo pinned Martinez.)

First clip I saw didn't show the actual throw. From their position on the mat, it looked like Ramos chin-whipped Lee.
(That would've been hilarious -- GOAT pinned with an elementary school move.)

Lee's training at Iowa should be questioned. Specifically: he hasn't competed in freestyle in at least 4 years, if at all since HS -- and got beaten with a freestyle move. Contrast with Nick Lee getting head pinched and thrown to his back the same way by Goofer McKee, fought thru it and got the takedown.

I don’t know how everyone can post so much during the moment. I am always to nervous! I managed one celebratory word when Spencer was pinned! For all the talk of how disappointed he was, the shock etc, no one mentioned the Ramos interview. What an amazing kid. I am so happy for him, and Purdue. So many talked like Spencer already had his fourth title. Ramos said he spoke it into reality, believing in himself. What a moment for that young man!
We met Ramos’ mom at Big Tens, along with other family members. She was very nice, so I am very happy for family.

so PSU didn't win the team title last night and all the iowa fans are like jim carrey in dumb and dumber saying so we still have a chance!!LOL

This conversation overall is nothing short of silly. It’s almost as if no parent, wife or family of a losing team or individual has ever been shown live. Or players crying with their head in their hands. TV’s catch this all the time. All the time. It would have been special treatment to have ignored her at the moment of defeat.

Dare I say it? We should all move on. There’s nothing to see here.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Except she couldn’t see me!

The antics of the Iowa wrestling families is childish. I don’t care if it is heart breaking, my son had many heartbreaking matches, granted not on those stages. I still never destroyed anything or searched out some random fan to berate them.
that woman strong bending those glasses like superman bends steel!

Yeah. And poor mr kerkvliet. Oh. Never mind

(But for the record they showed mr Monday whose reaction was sort of just, “damn”).

Last edited:
Sat down at table at Buffalo Wild Wings, we are probably 5-6 miles from arena, a lady (30s/40s??) and a grandmotherly lady sit down next to us. Younger gal wearing Penn State beanie. I strike up a conversation: “you ladies went to wrestling tonight?” Grandma: “oh yes, what fun!” Her husband joins us Penn State hat on: “you guys Penn State fans?” Grandma says “I’m Carter’s grandmother. His dad will be right in.”

Let me tell you, these mfs were as Salt of the earth as it gets. His dad would fit right in here, which is probably why he isn’t here. Some fun stuff:

First thing he said is it is unbelievable how many different people involved with the program make it work and how much he is saying “thank you.”

OSU visit was Brands giving a hell of a tour of the under-construction Covelli center. Not a whole lot of asking what Carter was looking for.

First time they met Cael, Cael asked Carter how long Carter has been a PSU wrestling fan. Carter said he really wasn’t. Cael asked him who he did like, Carter said he kind of liked OSU football.

Foca hit a pederson roll on Carter at the end of the match when they were 9 and Carter was saved by the bell. Carter learned to ride Foca after that.

Stories of Casey riding guys for an hour at a time are very true. Carter called and told his dad it happened to him and how he was real pissed off about it. Then a few weeks later Carter’s dad heard the podcast where Ed Ruth told the same story.

Carter did an interview, I think with Flo, and mentioned his dad getting hot in the stands at IOWA. Carter gave PG, his dad gave R. LMFAO.

Grandma and Grandpap are over the moon. First time going to NCAA. Grandma asked for my phone number. Said if there are seats available tonight she will let me know and I can sit with them front row.
Brands never called Carter or Aaron.

Just amazing. This wasn't rocket science. Plus Carter took a long time to finally commit.

Note the date of Willie's tweets:

OSU visit was Ryan giving a hell of a tour of the under-construction Covelli center. Not a whole lot of asking what Carter was looking for.

yes my friend followed Carter at Prep and had heard he was leaning to the buckeyes sure glad he didnt go there!

Adding on to the Carter stories:

I can remember seeing Carter at various tournaments way back when he was 7/8 with a big head of hair and even back then he was one of those kid you could look at and see the potential oozing from every pore.

My younger brother wrestled Carter’s older brother Chris back in HS. Carter would’ve been in elementary/middle school back then.

My coworkers sister in law works and is pretty good friends with Carter’s mom Starla. The sister in law’s son wrestles for my old HS team and Carter will work with him at various times during the offseason.

A few weeks back, I was coaching at our PJW tournament and struck up a conversation with Carter’s longtime youth coach Skip Chatt. Skip has coached many, many good kids over the years so the guy has more stories than you can count. He talked about how way back when Carter first started, Carter’s dad brought him to Skip and asked him to coach Carter. Skip said if Carter wasn’t a state champ in three years, he might as well fire him because he didn’t do his job. It sounds ambitious, but he knew Carter had that much potential. Sure enough, Carter won his first PJW state title in 2010 and Skip wasn’t out of a job haha. He also went on to tell me about how one night Conner Pierce was sleeping and he felt like someone was watching him so he cracked his eyes open. There was Carter, standing at the side of his bed staring at him. Carter said, “Get up. We’re going to workout.” It was like 3AM! Conner obliged, they went down and got a solid workout in until somewhere around 530 and Carter told Conner now he could go back to bed.

I tend to agree with Cowbell that is time to move on with regards to Lee's mother. I really couldn't care less. That said, his pulling a medical forfeit and refusing to wrestle the rest of the way is the worst kind of cry baby bull crap. Admittedly, I suppose he really could be hurt, but I think the only things that are hurt are his fragile emotions.

and I was just thinking, not to punch somebody when they’re down, but Spencer’s career is a bit of a cautionary tale at this point. No doubt he was truly dominant, but it also shows what the pressure cooker can create, and what it can’t.
I’m reluctant to say this because Spencer Lee is 1000 x better than my best day… but did he become too one dimensional… ending so many bouts w tilt to tech fall…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT