ADVERTISEMENT

World Championships - Oct. 20-28

vuKkvPr-

And the finals are all live on TV, although for Monday on most of us will be at work. My DVR is already programmed.

It's got to be better than watching the action livestream, where there are constant freezes, bad images, and no or low sound. And, of course, everything goes wrong on cue the last minute when the score is tied. It's like listening to grandpa tell a story over the course of three hours, wherein he falls asleep six or seven times; goes to the bathroom three or four times; forgets what he was talking about at least twice; and then needs to be taken to the hospital right at the end before he reaches the dramatic conclusion.

After a bit of sleep, did anyone else notice the prevalence of the whizzer/seatbelt position off a failed attack or from standing? The guys who were comfortable attacking from there won a lot more often. Weird consistency that I noticed.

SO JUST FOR SOME CLARITY HARE ...what time in the eastern time zone will David be wrestling in the finals?

SO JUST FOR SOME CLARITY HARE ...what time in the eastern time zone will David be wrestling in the finals?
David will wrestle at 10:45AM CT so is that 11:45AM ET? That's when finals are scheduled.
Repechage for the rest starts at 3:30AM CT (4:30AM ET?).

Reactions: diggerpup
David will wrestle at 10:45AM CT so is that 11:45AM ET? That's when finals are scheduled.
Repechage for the rest starts at 3:30AM CT (4:30AM ET?).
Maybe the gCal I set up for myself is out of date--but I have the Worlds: Semis 57 – 65 – 79 – 92 kg at 11:45 ET. Finals to start at 1pm Eastern?

Maybe already mentioned but Taylor's Finals opponent tomorrow is the same one that he wrestled in the Finals of Yarygin and pinned after briefly trailing 2-0. Erdin looks to have a solid chest wrap but struggled to keep Taylor off his legs. Video links below.

Youtube angle

Track angle

Reactions: 7brwnpsu and tikk10
Stieber Chakaev
Nothing through the first minute, both guys keeping their distance. Passivity warning on both.
Logan gets a little off balance and Chakaev gets behind him. Nearly gutted him but they go out of bounds. 2-0.
Logan nearly behind but Chakaev slips it and somehow gets two exposure on something far too difficult to describe, except that it was Nolf-like. 4-0.
US challenges, says Logan must've scored something on that exchange. Challenge won. 4-4, Logan on criteria.
Both guys with whizzers but Chakaev slips it, goes up 6-4 at break.
Pushout Logan, 6-5. 1:00 left.
Chakaev giving Logan nothing, now pushes him out. 7-5, 9 seconds left.
Chakaev injury timeout, something something shoulder. Waves off the cold spray and he's back up.
Logan can't do anything and it's over. 7-5.

Chakaev looked good so maybe Logan gets pulled back in, but 65kg is a big bracket and Chakaev is only a few matches away from hitting the #1 seed.

Last edited:
Stieber Chakaev
Nothing through the first minute, both guys keeping their distance. Passivity warning on both.
Logan gets a little off balance and Chakaev gets behind him. Nearly gutted him but they go out of bounds. 2-0.
Logan nearly behind but Chakaev slips it and somehow gets two exposure on something far too difficult to describe, except that it was Nolf-like. 4-0.
US challenges, says Logan must've scored something on that exchange. Challenge won. 4-4, Logan on criteria.
Both guys with whizzers but Chakaev slips it, goes up 6-4 at break.
Pushout Logan, 6-5. 1:00 left.
Chakaev giving Logan nothing, now pushes him out. 7-5, 9 seconds left.
Chakaev injury timeout, something something shoulder. Waves off the cold spray and he's back up.
Logan can't do anything and it's over. 7-5.

Chakaev looked good so maybe Logan gets pulled back in, but 65kg is a big bracket and Chakaev is only a few matches away from hitting the #1 seed.
I am not here and I appreciate the updates.

Gilman Davidovi (Italy) on Mat A
  • Davidovi to a leg, Gilman easily sprawls, stuffs it
  • Davidovi warned for passivity, now on shot clock.
  • Gilman nice outside single, converts, and gets a gut for two more. 5-0 at break.
  • Davidovi gets to a leg, lifts Gilman off mat but can only get a pushout point. 5-1.
  • Now Gilman with a leg, works to convert but Davidovi in quad pod near edge. They go out and no points awarded. Challenge requested. Won. 6-1.
  • Davidovi pushout, 6-2. :38 remaining.
  • Davidovi another pushout, 6-3, and that's it, Gilman moves on.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Cox Marsagashvili (Georgia)
Cox was down 1-0 into the second period and not looking great. He was put on the shot clock and just as he went down he hit a nice double near the edge and was given two. He tacked on two more takedowns late to win 6-2. As he went off the mat he appeared to be favoring his right hip.

Burroughs Kirov (Bulgaria) on Mat C
  • Match starts with an eye poke by JB, they slap hands and continue
  • JB put on the shot clock but he gets the step out to go up 1-0
  • JB with more pressure, and another step out. 2-0
  • Break
  • Both guys with whizzers, go out of bounds but JB gets the step out point, 3-0
  • 1:30 remaining
  • Kirov with an ill-advised shot from space, which JB easily avoids and goes behind. 5-0, quickly followed by two guts. Drops to a lace but not happening. 9-0
  • Time runs out, JB will wrestle for bronze against ... Chamizo

Last edited:
Dake Obst (Germany) finally here
  • Cam was frozen (even though clock was visibly ticking down, weirdly enough) so missed how it got to 3-0 Dake, but Obst also has a warning.
  • Dake with a go-behind just before break to make it 5-0
  • Obst going with the heavy hands before nearly hitting a beautiful shot from space; Dake splits, lifts for two, gets behind and gets two guts to tech Obst 11-0

Last edited:
There's been only one or two mats going for a bit now, which is dumb considering how much wrestling there is to fit in here still. I mean, I guess they're waiting to start everyone at the same time, but if you spread the remaining matches around earlier you could get to the next round faster.

Reactions: CropDuster507
Chakaev leading Khinchegashvili 8-0 at end of first. A Chakaev win keeps Stieber alive.
He gets the takedown for the 10-0 tech.

Reactions: CropDuster507
I think I'm going to go full Mama Duster and send Track a strongly-worded email just to get the frustration out of me. This is ridiculous in 2018.

Gilman Edisherashvili (AZE) on Mat B
  • Gilman nice work to get the step out. 1-0
  • Gilman from a front headlock position pushing around. Iowa fans screaming "hand fight hand fight!"
  • Gilman again works hard at edge and gets the step out; Edisherashvili was looking to go upper body.
  • Blood stoppage?
  • Gilman gets a leg that time to help with him another step out, 3-0
  • Break
  • Edisherashvili scolded for I think hands to face
  • Blood on Gilman's face I think, team doctor applies krazy-glue and we resume
  • Gilman again beasts Edisherashvili out of bounds, 4-0, 1:30 remaining
  • Gilman in good on a leg, Edisherashvili dives for an ankle and amazingly no one scores off that long twisted exchange.
  • More blood, this time Edisherashvili's
  • Edisherashvili just clubs Gilman in the waning seconds but it's like it didn't happen and that's how we'll end, 4-0 Gilman

Last edited:
Cox Ceban (MDA) on Mat C
  • a very bald Cox starts out light on his feet, neither guy looking to tie up
  • Cox with a double and a gut to go up 4-0, though it may have been exposure off the double that accounts for the other two points
  • Ceban was in on an ankle and Cox nearly turned that into two of his own
  • Break, 4-0
  • My feed froze just as Cox released the leg he was in on to go behind and looked about to score. Yep, 6-0, 2:00 remaining
  • Ceban outmatched here, Cox content to cautiously pick his spots
  • Cox was deep on both legs but couldn't close the deal. No matter, it ends 6-0 Cox, onto semis

Last edited:
The top level coaching in the United States is so good, man. Remember when J'Den was just a scrambler with great body awareness and stamina? That was a very tactical match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT