ADVERTISEMENT

World Team Trials - Sept 11 & 12

backdrft76

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
It's never too early to start discussing the next big event after the Olympics. The World Team Trials lands in Lincoln, NE on Sept 11 & 12. The World Championships will take place Oct 2-10 in Norway.

As indicated by USA Wrestling: "Please note that depending upon the results from the Olympic Games in Tokyo, and based upon the decision of Olympic medalists whether they choose to compete at the Senior World Championships, there could be some weight classes which are not contested in Lincoln. The Olympic medalist must declare their intent by August 15."

At this point, with DT securing a medal, guys listed at 86kg will either need to go up or down to get a spot on the team. Same thing goes with Gilman, Dake, Snyder, and Steveson if they medal. (Hopefully all of them do)

Of note, here's who NLWC potentially has going for Men's FS:

57 kg: Thomas Gilman (may still medal)
61 kg: RBY
65 kg: Zain, Nick Lee
74 kg: Cenzo(?)
79 kg: Nolf, Starocci
92 kg: Nickal, Brooks
125 kg: Nick Nevills, Kerkvliet

Full list of qualifiers here: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/May/18/2021-World-Team-Trials-qualifiers

I believe Manville, Starocci, Provisor, and Brooks all qualified for Greco.

Last edited:
As indicated by USA Wrestling: "Please note that depending upon the results from the Olympic Games in Tokyo, and based upon the decision of Olympic medalists whether they choose to compete at the Senior World Championships, there could be some weight classes which are not contested in Lincoln. The Olympic medalist must declare their intent by August 15."

Does this mean that the guy who medals at Tokyo automatically earns the WTT spot as well??

Has it always been like this?Who would the alternate be???

It's never too early to start discussing the next big event after the Olympics. The World Team Trials lands in Lincoln, NE on Sept 11 & 12. The World Championships will take place Oct 2-10 in Norway.

At this point, with DT securing a medal, guys listed at 86kg will either need to go up or down to get a spot on the team. Same thing goes with Gilman, Dake, Snyder, and Steveson if they medal. (Hopefully all of them do)

74 kg: Cenzo
125 kg: Nick Nevills

Full list of qualifiers here: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/May/18/2021-World-Team-Trials-qualifiers

Also Kerk at 125.

Cenzo likely won't go. He has said that he'll shelve his freestyle career for the time being, to focus on his new Stanford coaching duties.

Does this mean that the guy who medals at Tokyo automatically earns the WTT spot as well??

Has it always been like this?Who would the alternate be???

I read it to mean any Olympic medalist automatically earns a spot on the world Team at that particular weight if he chooses to go.

Reactions: diggerpup
I read it to mean any Olympic medalist automatically earns a spot on the world Team at that particular weight if he chooses to go.
That's exactly what it means.

Alternates is a good question. But since Team USA won't hold trials at those weights, reasonable to assume the Olympics alternates would be World Team alternates as well.

Does anybody think that any US medalist may pass on worlds?

That's a tough question.

I would think USA missing out on 2020 Worlds due to COVID may add extra motivation no matter what the Olympic results may be.

Taylor, specifically missing 2 straight Worlds due to ACL + COVID.

Does anybody think that any US medalist may pass on worlds?
Rumor has it that if Steveson golds, he possibly would opt out and go right into WWE. His career goal is Hollywood, and a Gold Olympic Medal is a quicker path. An additional World Team Gold doesn't push the needle any more versus an immediate WWE career. All others I agree,

Reactions: Dogwelder
Rumor has it that if Steveson golds, he possibly would opt out and go right into WWE. His career goal is Hollywood, and a Gold Olympic Medal is a quicker path. An additional World Team Gold doesn't push the needle any more versus an immediate WWE career. All others I agree,

Now that NIL is here, if Stevenson would win an OLY medal I can't see what the rush to ridiculous WWE would be.

He could earn his degree, win a few more NCAA titles, make comfortable cash - and still have entire adult life ahead of him to play in Hollywood / WWE /whatever other nonsense he has in mind.

GET OFF OF MY LAWN. 🤣

74 kg: Cenzo(?)
125 kg: Nick Nevills, Kerkvliet

Decent chance that only 5 World Team spots will even occur in men's freestyle. DT has it locked up, and Kyle, Kyle, and Gable really are odds on to place top 4 in the Olympics at least. TG has one more match to make Bronze, and probably the lowest chance, but then again, he only has 1 match.

So others in their weight category will have to decide up or down. 125ers would be screwed if Gable and Snyder medal, as there is no way to cut to 92. 97ers like Cox would need to cut to 92 as the only open weight. Many more opportunities from 61/65/70 as no Olympic medals coming here.

Now that NIL is here, if Stevenson would win an OLY medal I can't see what the rush to ridiculous WWE would be.

He could earn his degree, win a few more NCAA titles, make comfortable cash - and still have entire adult life ahead of him to play in Hollywood / WWE /whatever other nonsense he has in mind.

GET OFF OF MY LAWN. 🤣
I doubt the NIL money he could make in college would come close to what he could make in the WWE. And I also doubt another NCAA title does anything for his WWE resume. If he wins gold, I imagine his name recognition would peak in the few weeks after and that's when he'd be most marketable to the WWE. Not that interest in him would evaporate if he returned to college, but it would probably ebb.

I doubt the NIL money he could make in college would come close to what he could make in the WWE. And I also doubt another NCAA title does anything for his WWE resume. If he wins gold, I imagine his name recognition would peak in the few weeks after and that's when he'd be most marketable to the WWE. Not that interest in him would evaporate if he returned to college, but it would probably ebb.

You and these young whipper-snapper kids think you know everything !!

(Joking aside, would like to see these kids earn their degrees given these opportunities - that degree will hold doors open for him for the remainder of his life - maybe he has the credit to graduate - I do not know. Does anyone really think the WWE will give him $250k or whatever to sign ASAP? I have no idea.)

(Joking aside, would like to see these kids earn their degrees given these opportunities - that degree will hold doors open for him for the remainder of his life - maybe he has the credit to graduate - I do not know. Does anyone really think the WWE will give him $250k or whatever to sign ASAP? I have no idea.)
WWE offered Kurt Angle 10 yrs/$5M in 1996 -- and he declined it.

Edit: found Brock Lesnar's WWE contract signed in 2003. Not sure if this was his first contract -- but he got $1M/yr.

Last edited:
WWE offered Kurt Angle 10 yrs/$5M in 1996 -- and he declined it.

Edit: found Brock Lesnar's WWE contract signed in 2003. Not sure if this was his first contract -- but he got $1M/yr.

He talks about his regret over that decision when he was on Baschamania too. Good listen. Gable has been pretty clear about his intentions--there would be no better time for him to capitalize on his success than right after the games (if he wins gold). If he doesn't win gold, but still medals, I actually think he'll do worlds AND go back to school. Just my reading of the room, I could definitely be way off.

I'm just guessing that there's only gonna be 5 weight classes contested at the Trials for the World Team Championships, and that all 5 Olympic medalists will accept their spot on the team.

I'm just guessing that there's only gonna be 5 weight classes contested at the Trials for the World Team Championships, and that all 5 Olympic medalists will accept their spot on the team.
I could see Gable passing on the opportunity for a bigger payout elsewhere—and maybe Gilman is considering surgery on the foot—i don’t know.

Speaking of cashing in….

JB didnt even break a sweat and he’s prolly pullin in more than any of our medalists.

Last edited:
Hypothetically can Dake choose to go 79 and still get a free pass? Or only at 74?

free pass to the semi's of an adjacent weight, similar to olympic trials from april

This brings up an interesting question. Will Dake take the automatic spot at 74 kgs, or will he try to qualify at 79. At 1st glance, it seems like an easy decision, but he has had a lot of success at 79 kgs ... my guess is he will stay at 74 though.

Also, with Gilman owning the 57 kg spot, 61 should be a real donnybrook. RBY, Fix, Gross, Tomasello, Suriano will likely all be there. What about Spencer? Is he ready to wrestle?

Much the same goes for the other non-Olympic weights, plus 65 kgs. Should be some fun wrestling.

This brings up an interesting question. Will Dake take the automatic spot at 74 kgs, or will he try to qualify at 79. At 1st glance, it seems like an easy decision, but he has had a lot of success at 79 kgs ... my guess is he will stay at 74 though.

Also, with Gilman owning the 57 kg spot, 61 should be a real donnybrook. RBY, Fix, Gross, Tomasello, Suriano will likely all be there. What about Spencer? Is he ready to wrestle?

Much the same goes for the other non-Olympic weights, plus 65 kgs. Should be some fun wrestling.
If Gilman takes the 57kg slot, Arujau will be going 61kg, as well. Mike Grey said that Dake will 100% be at the World Championship (not the Trials, but the WC), which one can read as Dake taking the 74kg slot. Yianni will be at 65kg, of course.

if i'm dake, i'm not taking the additional injury risk by changing weights.

my question is which 125/97kg guys try and make it down to 92kg? i'm assuming the olympic weights will still be wrestled since USA needs alternates and you get extra training opportunities if you're 'on the world team' but not the starter. conversely, will any 92kg guys be realistic with themselves and zig while others zag and bump to 97kg just to try to make the team?

Reactions: jack66
I guess all eyes will be on Gable Stevenson, waiting for this decision.

Dake & Taylor are in.
I cannot imagine Snyder pulling out Worlds.
Gilman ? Would be up to his foot injury.

Snyder said afterward that he's in too.

Of course none of them formally declared, but no reason to think any of those 4 would back out.

With 74 and 86 taken, 79 is gonna be a war, guessing JB makes the jump, no way in hell he gets to 7O right?

Some big news: Oliver will go 70 kg for World Team Trials.

Assuming 65 kg seeds will be based upon Olympic Trials results:
1. McKenna
2. Lee
3. Yianni
4. Zain
5. McKee
6-7. Garrett and Henderson
8. Ashnault

With Gilman, you'd have to imagine he could postpone surgery another 2 months and then have all of next year to get healthy. At a weight as competitive at 57kg, it would be hard to pass on a free ride to worlds.

Definitely he’d be making over 250k. Wwe has some god awful guys and gals making twice that. I’m sure he’s looking at millions. He shouldn’t have made it so clear that the wwe was where he wanted to go. Could have played the ufc vs wwe to get more cash. You would of thought Brock would of at least taught him that.

It’ll be interesting if he’d consider going to AEW. As bad as the wwe is AEW is a real shit show. But they have an owner whose dad is worth six billion dollars and he’s spending crazy money for old guys that wwe doesn’t want anymore. If he’s willing to be completely embarrassed, booked like a lightweight, doing the dumbest shit you could think of, he may be able to get more money out of them. Plus they’re handing out guaranteed contracts but I’m assuming he’d have that in either company.

I’ll cringe the first time he does the backflip off the top rope tho lol.

I kind of feel bad for Geno and Taha. Both have been quoted as wanting another shot at the young American and they may never get the chance again. Obviously that’s not Gables problem but I hope he goes to worlds and just proves to both of them that it was no fluke and they should be glad he probably won’t be around in 2024.

I kind of feel bad for Geno and Taha. Both have been quoted as wanting another shot at the young American and they may never get the chance again. Obviously that’s not Gables problem but I hope he goes to worlds and just proves to both of them that it was no fluke and they should be glad he probably won’t be around in 2024.
I’d like him to prove it to ME, how can anyone assume he will beat Petri again, looked like as close to 50/50 as you’re gonna get.

ADVERTISEMENT