ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games — Conference Championships 2023

Paniro Johnson just won 149 over Brock Mauller from Missouri. Was up 6-4 and Mauller had to shoot. Johnson caught him and threw him to his back for 2 and 2. Wins 10-4.

Reactions: mcpat
Paniro Johnson just won 149 over Brock Mauller from Missouri. Was up 6-4 and Mauller had to shoot. Johnson caught him and threw him to his back for 2 and 2. Wins 10-4.
That was nice. Anyone with ESPN should tune in now. O’Toole-Carr on deck

Reactions: 1AA
O’Toole in on a single leg. They go out of bounds O’Toole has Carrs toe with is opposite hand. Mizzou challenges and no takedown. Call on the mat stands. 0-0 end of 1

O’Toole goes down. Escape in about 25 seconds. 1-0. Carr loves to shoot off the whistle. O’Toole is ready. Period ends 1-0 O’Toole.

Carr out quickly. 1-1. Carr on a single. O’Toole fighting it off. Carr trips him down but O’Toole grabs a leg. The ref rules a takedown. Carr has his head and ankle. Not sure of the call. Missouri challenges.

Call stands. Carr up 3-1. O’Toole to his feet. Stall on Carr for no mat return. Escape O’Toole. O’Toole keeps attacking and gets a second stall on Carr with 8 seconds left. 3-3 going to SV.

Kind of think Otoole got screwed there (not in OT, but with the earlier TD calls)

Carr in on a single leg. O’Toole has elite defense. Carr locks up the cradle and gets the fall!

If Lee, RBY, Carr and Parris go undefeated my Hodge rankings are:
1. Carr- 165 is BRUTAL and he seems to have separated himself from the pack
2. Parris- The top three is nails and he's separated himself too
3. Lee & RBY- Both all-timers but RBY hasn't wrestled much while 125 has pretty much cleared out.

If RBY lights it up at Nationals he has a shot (especially if he puts a beatdown on Fix).

It doesn't matter though because Spencer Lee could win all five bouts in overtime with the help of bad calls and he'd still win.

Reactions: creamery freak
If Lee, RBY, Carr and Parris go undefeated my Hodge rankings are:
1. Carr- 165 is BRUTAL and he seems to have separated himself from the pack
2. Parris- The top three is nails and he's separated himself too
3. Lee & RBY- Both all-timers but RBY hasn't wrestled much while 125 has pretty much cleared out.

If RBY lights it up at Nationals he has a shot (especially if he puts a beatdown on Fix).

It doesn't matter though because Spencer Lee could win all five bouts in overtime with the help of bad calls and he'd still win.
Completely agreed on the merits.

However, it's still a popularity contest, and there's no way an undefeated 4x champ won't win it. At least a share. And it won't surprise me if Yianni also gets shoehorned in despite his loss to Gomez.

Yes, there are listed criteria ... but no weighting among the 7 criteria, so it's a free-for-all.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I think O'Toole might just take out Carr despite his dominant performance 2 weeks ago. Just to make things even more interesting for nationals. 165 is just plain insane this year.
This one aged like a fine bottle of 2023 Muskatelle. My crystal ball dropped a couple of points down to 37.8% accurate. certified by Earnst & Young of course.

Here's the pin.

Ref looked hell-bent on confirming all 4 swipes before looking for the fall. Especially bad in an SV period, when the swipes count but cannot change the outcome.

In the interview afterwards Carr said he didn't realize he already had the first stalling call when he was evading at the end of the third period.

Reactions: fronk71
On another note, I have nothing against the young man, but Trent Hidlay's underhook/bull his opponent out-of-bounds technique to get a stalling call frustrates me. He would drive his deep underhook and grab his opponent's opposite hand, lower his level and methodically push him out of bounds with no attempt at all to take a shot in the process. Just my .02 cents!

On another note, I have nothing against the young man, but Trent Hidlay's underhook/bull his opponent out-of-bounds technique to get a stalling call frustrates me. He would drive his deep underhook and grab his opponent's opposite hand, lower his level and methodically push him out of bounds with no attempt at all to take a shot in the process. Just my .02 cents!
It’s brutal. I like Trent and he’s super talented but he wrestles like an Iranian in freestyle. Just punch the underhook and walk to the edge. Which, coincidentally, is why he’ll likely have a good international career.

It’s brutal. I like Trent and he’s super talented but he wrestles like an Iranian in freestyle. Just punch the underhook and walk to the edge. Which, coincidentally, is why he’ll likely have a good international career.
high levels.. if no one stops you (ref for stalling) why would you stop...

His upside is limited but Stevo was said to be a strong PSU lean for years. I assume we didn't get him, because we had Howard and Stevo assumed he would be healthy?
"PSU lean" was overrated. In reality, Popolizio had closer ties thanks to his many years in NY. And that's where Poulin went, before transferring.

Second, we had Howard.

Ultimately you’re never gonna get that called stalling, because it isn’t stalling. But it’s also not exactly a watchable product.
Just another reason why the college boundary stalling rule sucks.

1. If he pushes the opponent straight back, it is stalling by rule.

2. The refs don't call it consistently.

3. The best wrestlers have figured out how to create just enough backward angle to not get it called.

That said, Hidlay underhook, death and taxes. Everybody knows it's coming. Gotta do a better job of preventing it.

Just another reason why the college boundary stalling rule sucks.

1. If he pushes the opponent straight back, it is stalling by rule.

2. The refs don't call it consistently.

3. The best wrestlers have figured out how to create just enough backward angle to not get it called.

That said, Hidlay underhook, death and taxes. Everybody knows it's coming. Gotta do a better job of preventing it.
I just don’t see how you change it though. I don’t think it’s stalling. He’s trying to get you pushing back into him and then either scores off that or off of guys coming up out of their stance. It’s boring and it’s sort of lame. But I don’t think it’s stalling. And I’m freestyle rules he’d score a ton on step outs and cautions.

I just don’t see how you change it though. I don’t think it’s stalling. He’s trying to get you pushing back into him and then either scores off that or off of guys coming up out of their stance. It’s boring and it’s sort of lame. But I don’t think it’s stalling. And I’m freestyle rules he’d score a ton on step outs and cautions.
that is the catch - 'intent'. we don't know it. I think he was simply pushing out using the underhook. Maybe not the first few times. Regardless, that is my point. Intent, of which we guess or assume, always causes issues - becomes subjective and imo opinion bad for any sport (see NFL)

that is the catch - 'intent'. we don't know it. I think he was simply pushing out using the underhook. Maybe not the first few times. Regardless, that is my point. Intent, of which we guess or assume, always causes issues - becomes subjective and imo opinion bad for any sport (see NFL)
Remove intent and subjectivity. Implement the pushout rule. Don't want to give up the point? Work harder in the center.

Besides, these guys have all been wrestling freestyle for 10+ years. The pushout rule isn't a mystery to them.

Remove intent and subjectivity. Implement the pushout rule. Don't want to give up the point? Work harder in the center.

Besides, these guys have all been wrestling freestyle for 10+ years. The pushout rule isn't a mystery to them.
My only issue with the push out is how it works with mat wrestling. Does it only apply when the two wrestlers start neutral? If you get an escape near the edge can you be pushed out? I also think the push out rule rewards not trying to finish a shot. In folk it’s a 2-1 exchange with a TD and a release. Why even finish the takedown if you can just walk a guy to the edge for 1 repeatedly?

My only issue with the push out is how it works with mat wrestling. Does it only apply when the two wrestlers start neutral? If you get an escape near the edge can you be pushed out? I also think the push out rule rewards not trying to finish a shot. In folk it’s a 2-1 exchange with a TD and a release. Why even finish the takedown if you can just walk a guy to the edge for 1 repeatedly?
We as fans fret too much about escapes near the edge. To the point where it starts to sound like an excuse. (Not pointing at Clay here, just general sentiment.)

Draw a second circle away from the boundary. Escape between the circles and immediately go out, no point. After some defined time (2 sec? 5 sec?), you've established neutral and can be pushed out.

This isn't difficult, no need to make it so.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
We as fans fret too much about escapes near the edge. To the point where it starts to sound like an excuse. (Not pointing at Clay here, just general sentiment.)

Draw a second circle away from the boundary. Escape between the circles and immediately go out, no point. After some defined time (2 sec? 5 sec?), you've established neutral and can be pushed out.

This isn't difficult, no need to make it so.
Or make push out only apply to when wrestlers start a sequence in neutral (start of period, out of bounds, stalemate, etc).

I'd love to see reaching for the hardwood floor be an automatic penalty point plus a stall call.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT