ADVERTISEMENT

World Championships - Oct. 20-28

dmm53

Feb 4, 2017
Worlds are a-coming very soon (next weekend). Who have you got to win or medal? What Americans are going to boom or bust?

David Taylor will wrestle the first day (along with Burroughs, Colon, and Gwiz) which will start very early Saturday morning at 4:30 AM EST. Budapest is 6 hours ahead of US East Coast time. So, here is the schedule with appropriate time adjustments for the first day:

Qualification Rds. 61-74-86-125 kg 4:30-9:30 AM (Saturday morning EST)
Semi finals 61-74-86-125 kg
10:45-11:45 AM ( Saturday morning EST)
Finals 61-74-86-125 kg 1 PM-3:30 PM (Sunday, EST)

Here are some previews and some information on the event:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestli...r/12/Special-Section-2018-World-Championships

Thanks for the front end info:

Q: Anyone determined all the viewing options ??

TrackWrestling?

Will UWW stream for free ?

FLO ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the front end info:

Q: Anyone determined all the viewing options ??

TrackWrestling?

Will UWW stream for free ?

FLO ?

Thanks in advance.
Track, my guess is NBC’s Olympic Channel will carry the finals. UWW would work for free for IP addresses in other countries.

Track Wrestling is streaming the event. Usually (but always) requires subscription for their streams. UWW usually streams Worlds and has the icon (symbol) that it will be streamed on their website, so hopefully that is trustworthy. There should be some more official announcements and advertising this week.

Reactions: diggerpup
FYI. I have YouTube TV set to record seven days of wrestling On the Olympic channel and NBCSN. 2-2.5 hours per recording.
Me too. Hope it's accurate. It will be another unexpected benefit to YoutubeTV
Looks like it's a day delayed, as usual for NBC, but at least it's there.

I just recorded every event I saw labeled UWW so perhaps some are repeats or delayed broadcasts.

I just recorded every event I saw labeled UWW so perhaps some are repeats or delayed broadcasts.
I did the same, but the first recording isn't until Sun 21st:
6-8:30 PM on Olympic Channel
11 PM on NBCSN
It's labeled Day 1, so it's around 36 hour delay. Although, math isn't my strongest subject.

FYI. I have YouTube TV set to record seven days of wrestling On the Olympic channel and NBCSN. 2-2.5 hours per recording.

Bam! As if saving $85/month off my Comcast bill wasn't enough....then I find another unexpected bonus with YouTube TV!!!

I did the same, but the first recording isn't until Sun 21st:
6-8:30 PM on Olympic Channel
11 PM on NBCSN
It's labeled Day 1, so it's around 36 hour delay. Although, math isn't my strongest subject.
That’s kind of a bummer. Thanks for the heads up.

Apologies if this is a stupid question... is there a “team” championship? Can USA win? Or is it more akin to the Olympics where you can count medals but there is no real team or country winner...?

Apologies if this is a stupid question... is there a “team” championship? Can USA win? Or is it more akin to the Olympics where you can count medals but there is no real team or country winner...?

Yes......there is a team element.....During which the USA won Gold last year but has never won TWO years in a row I believe. So...History may be in the cards this year. Go USA

10 minute video preview of US freestyle team (there is an interesting and curious ending to the video with the Russian coach speaking about Sadulaev against Snyder):

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestli...Exciting-UWW-video-on-USA-mens-freestyle-team

JFC!!! That was the harshest trash talking I EVER heard from a COACH in ANY sport I have ever followed. I mean, it's one thing to give your guys some confidence, but damn he is over the top. Talk about setting the bar high for your wrestler...:eek::eek::eek:

If you guys haven't seen this video, you need to at least watch the last few minutes...even if you aren't a wrestling fan. WE ARE...ALL USA WRESTLING FANS.

Man, I never thought I would be rooting so hard for a Buckeye to win a match, but I really want to see him kick that Ruskies ass and have the camera focus in on his coach's face!

@amalone @Tom McAndrew @jack66 @Coultr77 @CFett @garw
@tgar @KidTwist @Lion10 @ptomaselli @NittanyLogan'11 @Grove Lion @gjbankos @HulkHagen @sg out west @SJLuvsLions @rag195
@RyanSnyder @AFRich @mickey_PSU @mwaltrip @JayWye @RCotto18 @razpsu @ropa6203 @cobritra @LionLaw @Ceasar
@BBrown @WTNuke @pioneerlion83 @kjb32812 @lobo lion @Eagleye5 @PennsylvaniaPride @bigwill57 @Alphalion75 @jamesmoorepainting @gemrich

Last edited:
Yes, if Snyder needs any more motivation or incentive (which I doubt he does), I think that video clip might have just provided it. It is hyperbole on, well, steroids.

Reactions: lionlover
Thanks in advance to all that posts results :). I'll be out of pocket with family for the first 2 days of the championships.

10 minute video preview of US freestyle team (there is an interesting and curious ending to the video with the Russian coach speaking about Sadulaev against Snyder):

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestli...Exciting-UWW-video-on-USA-mens-freestyle-team

sqjkBFF.jpg

6XPddE0.jpg

Reactions: Afw6006
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ing-championships-this-weekend-from-budapest/

NBC's (delayed) coverage schedule

Sunday, Oct. 21
1 p.m. Day 1 – Men’s Freestyle Finals Olympic Channel
12 a.m. Day 1 – Men’s Freestyle Finals* NBCSN

Mon., Oct. 22
12 p.m. Day 2 – Men’s Freestyle Finals Olympic Channel

Tues., Oct. 23
12 p.m. Day 3 – Men’s Freestyle & Women’s Finals Olympic Channel
6 p.m. Day 3 – Men’s Freestyle & Women’s Finals* NBCSN

Wed., Oct. 24
12 p.m. Day 4 – Women’s Finals Olympic Channel
12:30 a.m. Day 4 – Women’s Finals* NBCSN

Thurs., Oct. 25
12 p.m. Day 5 – Women’s Finals Olympic Channel
6 p.m. Day 5 – Women’s Finals* NBCSN

Friday, Oct. 26
12 p.m. Day 6 – Greco-Roman Finals Olympic Channel
6 p.m. Day 6 – Greco-Roman Finals* NBCSN

Sat., Oct. 27
12 p.m. Day 7 – Greco-Roman Finals Olympic Channel
9:30 p.m. Day 7 – Greco-Roman Finals* NBCSN

Sun., Oct. 28
10:30 a.m. Day 8 – Greco-Roman Finals Olympic Channel
11 p.m. Day 8 – Greco-Roman Finals* NBCSN

The UWW should be smacked until eternity. First round matchups between the two best guys are blasphemy of the highest order. It's all anti-climactic after that. Folks who run wrestling are just plain dumb and/or corrupt. They can't use common sense to come up with reasonable draws and seeding. No other sport does this. This is one of the reasons why wrestling has no large fan base. I almost hope that Snyder draws Sadulaev first round, too. Maybe a few of these situations will engender change. Idiotic people only see things when it is too late. Too late: the two saddest words in the English language.

The UWW should be smacked until eternity. First round matchups between the two best guys are blasphemy of the highest order. It's all anti-climactic after that. Folks who run wrestling are just plain dumb and/or corrupt. They can't use common sense to come up with reasonable draws and seeding. No other sport does this. This is one of the reasons why wrestling has no large fan base. I almost hope that Snyder draws Sadulaev first round, too. Maybe a few of these situations will engender change. Idiotic people only see things when it is too late. Too late: the two saddest words in the English language.
Yep.

Lets go ahead and get a potential finals matchup out of the way first round. Russians must have hacked the draw

This^

Yep.

Lets go ahead and get a potential finals matchup out of the way first round. Russians must have hacked the draw

Assuming chalk (which is not really a good assumption)

At 86, the RUS will have to go through the loser of Taylor/Charati to medal
At 74, the RUS will have to go through the loser of Burroughs/Chamizo to medal
At 125, the RUS will have to go through the loser of Akgul/Geno to medal, plus the talented UKR and AZE guys are all in same half.
At 61, the RUS has the next best guy (GEO) on his side .

If RUS hacked this draw, they did a poor job.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Assuming chalk (which is not really a good assumption)

At 86, the RUS will have to go through the loser of Taylor/Charati to medal
At 74, the RUS will have to go through the loser of Burroughs/Chamizo to medal
At 125, the RUS will have to go through the loser of Akgul/Geno to medal, plus the talented UKR and AZE guys are all in same half.
At 61, the RUS has the next best guy (GEO) on his side .

If RUS hacked this draw, they did a poor job.
gotta link for the draw? can't find it (looking quickly). Looks like UWW site will be showing the four mats... will need to determine mat assignment somewhere...

gotta link for the draw? can't find it (looking quickly). Looks like UWW site will be showing the four mats... will need to determine mat assignment somewhere...

UWW site has the draw as does Track and Flo has an article with the brackets,

Dear NCAA,

This is how to seed a tournament.

Signed,
Tim Foley

I went to Foley's column to see if Mike C had a question about this. But alas, Foley muted Mike C this week. However, all wasn't lost. I did learn something new in the comments section:

"There is no such thing as 12am or 12pm. If you are referring to noon or midnight then use them." -Jammen

Last edited:
Or run by Russia.

Reactions: lionlover
ADVERTISEMENT