ADVERTISEMENT

US Senior Nationals

65kg- Bartlett, Levine, Kasak
74kg- Facundo, Barraclough
86kg- Truax, Ball
125kg- Kerk

A few previously registered. Nasdeo, Rodriguez, McIntosh, Dean and Aarif Asif?

Also, Lilledahl, Sealey, and the Mirasola's.
Depth. We have at least two top three teams in the room right now maybe more with SVN healthy. How many teams have two top two kids?

Depth. We have at least two top three teams in the room right now maybe more with SVN healthy. How many teams have two top two kids?
Even with SVN, there's no way we have two top 3 teams in the room right now. LOL. Counting SVN so that the starting lineup looks like this:

125 Davis
133 Nagao
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Haines
165 Mesenbrink
174 Starocci
184 Truax
197 Brooks
HWT Kerkvliet

That leaves this as the second team (including nominal redshirts):

125 Howard
133 McHenry/Shunk
141 Evans
149 Kasak
157 Barraclough/E. Gibson (whoever can make this weight)
165 Facundo
174 Barr (if he can make weight) or Joe Lee
184 Barr (if not 174) or Ball
197 Cochran
HWT Fricchione

That second team is nowhere even close to top 3. Even in the best case scenario where Barraclough could make 157 and Barr 174 if they were in a position to be needed to make those weights, the B team has a couple potential low AAs (Kasak, Facundo, Barr) and a couple other potential qualifiers (Howard, Evans, Barraclough), but they aren't sniffing the top 10 much less top 3. Last year Lehigh finished 20th, with the 6 total qualifiers, including one AA (Humphreys 3rd), two R12 (Hines, Beard), and one R16 (Samuelson). That would be a good result for the PSU B team, so I think they would be in the ~25th type range at nationals, which is still remarkable in that PSU has multiple potential national qualifiers as backups, but top 3 is too unrealistic.

I know this is your board but a shocking entry at nationals for us Hawk fans.
Tony Cassioppi is entered at 97kg. Going to be interesting to see him at that weight.
Not sure any of us were expecting that.
Going to be a fun tourney to watch! Looking forward to seeing Bartlett and the rest of the Penn State guys.
Bartlett really intrigues me after he beat Lee in April.

I was surprised by Cass dropping that low as well. Will be interesting to see how he performs. 65kg is going to be a grinder.

Tony Cassioppi is entered at 97kg. Going to be interesting to see him at that weight.
Going to be a fun tourney to watch! Looking forward to seeing Bartlett and the rest of the Penn State guys.
No problem, we're curious about that too.

Zain losing a year in HS was the worst possible punishment for everyone else. Won't predict that type of change in Cass, but hope he takes a similar approach and maximizes this year.

Bartlett was very close,but Lee indeed won.

Was that the match he was penalized and that cost him the win?
Bartlett was hit with a caution and 1 for fleeing, but the point was initially assigned by the scorers table to Beau, not Nick. Beau then got his hand raised, but later, the scoring error was pointed out, and the result corrected to a win by Nick.

Bartlett was hit with a caution and 1 for fleeing, but the point was initially assigned by the scorers table to Beau, not Nick. Beau then got his hand raised, but later, the scoring error was pointed out, and the result corrected to a win by Nick.

I believe the points were assigned correctly, but the *caution* was not, which put the criteria on the wrong side.

Even with SVN, there's no way we have two top 3 teams in the room right now. LOL. Counting SVN so that the starting lineup looks like this:

125 Davis
133 Nagao
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Haines
165 Mesenbrink
174 Starocci
184 Truax
197 Brooks
HWT Kerkvliet

That leaves this as the second team (including nominal redshirts):

125 Howard
133 McHenry/Shunk
141 Evans
149 Kasak
157 Barraclough/E. Gibson (whoever can make this weight)
165 Facundo
174 Barr (if he can make weight) or Joe Lee
184 Barr (if not 174) or Ball
197 Cochran
HWT Fricchione

That second team is nowhere even close to top 3. Even in the best case scenario where Barraclough could make 157 and Barr 174 if they were in a position to be needed to make those weights, the B team has a couple potential low AAs (Kasak, Facundo, Barr) and a couple other potential qualifiers (Howard, Evans, Barraclough), but they aren't sniffing the top 10 much less top 3. Last year Lehigh finished 20th, with the 6 total qualifiers, including one AA (Humphreys 3rd), two R12 (Hines, Beard), and one R16 (Samuelson). That would be a good result for the PSU B team, so I think they would be in the ~25th type range at nationals, which is still remarkable in that PSU has multiple potential national qualifiers as backups, but top 3 is too unrealistic.
Spread the studs amount the two teams don't put them all on one squad

Interesting with Cass weight..
one thing on the Iowa forum that is crazy is the argument on “fat cass” vs. “skinny cass”.
one poster said what is healthier for him as a person to be completely dismissed.
another point I didn’t see brought up was the field just caught up to him. But in the majority of their eyes was as simple as he was heavier.

Please. For this to be true, our B team would have to outplace all but 1 of Cornell, Missouri, Iowa State, Iowa, NC State, Nebtaska, Michigan, VT ...
Basing purely on last years score a third place would require a team score greater than 64. If you split the teams (Brooks, Beau, Truax, Nagao= 65) and (Carter, Kerk, Haines= 61) which would require Messenbrink, Kasak, Davis, etc to score 3.5 points to have 2 top 3 teams.

I understand this is last years stats and it creates 2 upper level tournament teams at the expense of a dominant team but it is possible.

Basing purely on last years score a third place would require a team score greater than 64. If you split the teams (Brooks, Beau, Truax, Nagao= 65) and (Carter, Kerk, Haines= 61) which would require Messenbrink, Kasak, Davis, etc to score 3.5 points to have 2 top 3 teams.

I understand this is last years stats and it creates 2 upper level tournament teams at the expense of a dominant team but it is possible.
In your scenario, you create a 3rd and 4th place team.

Gambling suspension stress.

Interesting with Cass weight..
one thing on the Iowa forum that is crazy is the argument on “fat cass” vs. “skinny cass”.
one poster said what is healthier for him as a person to be completely dismissed.
another point I didn’t see brought up was the field just caught up to him. But in the majority of their eyes was as simple as he was heavier.
Anecdotally and via the eye test. Big guys coming down < big guys going up.

Especially in the 197 to Heavy space. The guys going up usually bring with them the athleticism, diversity of skills, and speed experienced at 197 (i.e. Cassar). There are also the gas tank questions as well. I will be shocked if a 20-30 lb lighter Cassioppi will be effective around 215. Should be fun to watch though.

Anecdotally and via the eye test. Big guys coming down < big guys going up.

Especially in the 197 to Heavy space. The guys going up usually bring with them the athleticism, diversity of skills, and speed experienced at 197 (i.e. Cassar). There are also the gas tank questions as well. I will be shocked if a 20-30 lb lighter Cassioppi will be effective around 215. Should be fun to watch though.
After his weight loss he was undersized for hwt.
He will be maxed at 97kg. Guys who have seen him are saying he's totally ripped and much faster.
Going to be interesting. He is also an under 23 World gold and bronze medalist in freestyle at hwt.
Going to be a fun tourney to watch!

Last edited:
I was surprised by Cass dropping that low as well. Will be interesting to see how he performs. 65kg is going to be a grinder.
Agreed on 65kg. Absolutely brutal and 86 is stacked too.
Kerk should take 125kg. without much trouble, yes?

Last edited:
I just hope we come out of it healthy. I am still stinging from an in season Freestyle competition costing us Berge and Cassar. One more stud down, starts to make things just a little too interesting. I don't see much commitment from current Iowa team members in contrast.

Reactions: Fatmarc and 1AA
I just hope we come out of it healthy. I am still stinging from an in season Freestyle competition costing us Berge and Cassar. One more stud down, starts to make things just a little too interesting. I don't see much commitment from current Iowa team members in contrast.
Berge was not injured at an in-season event, it was at world's a month or 2 before the season started.

Also, you do not see much commitment from any other school in sending guys to this. That is what happens when you go to PSU, your goals go beyond winning an NCAA title and once every four years events like this come up.

Just noticed that ol Nicky Cruiseliner has no "team" affiliation on the Flo entry list. Where is he training these days, anyone know? Seems to me that Spencer, Nico, and he must be the top seeds here.

Also noticing that Trackwrestling has an event page, and FloArena does not, so file that one away for whenever brackets come out, etc. If a Flo subscriber, Track does now text mat assignments and results for you--you'll have to add wrestlers (or NLWC as a team) under "My Wrestlers" for the event. My #1 beef with Track at this point is an inability to have "permalinks" to their events. Why is this still a thing in 2023?

Just noticed that ol Nicky Cruiseliner has no "team" affiliation on the Flo entry list. Where is he training these days, anyone know? Seems to me that Spencer, Nico, and he must be the top seeds here.

Also noticing that Trackwrestling has an event page, and FloArena does not, so file that one away for whenever brackets come out, etc. If a Flo subscriber, Track does now text mat assignments and results for you--you'll have to add wrestlers (or NLWC as a team) under "My Wrestlers" for the event. My #1 beef with Track at this point is an inability to have "permalinks" to their events. Why is this still a thing in 2023?
Neither does Sealey. Isn't he training with M2/NLWC?

Guys can get hurt in folk matches, free matches, practice, being reckless playing ultimate frisbee, lifting weights, etc. They're unavoidable, you work to mitigate them, take care of them when they come so your guys feel as good as possible but other than that, you don't do things to try to be as inactive as possbile, that's how you lose sharpness.

Our coaches do everything they can to prevent injuries, guys get days off when they are nicked up, we have the best trainer in the world, we already significantly limit in season matches than before (we used to host a home tournament, go to Keystone, everyone used to go to Clarion or Binghamton, then we went to the Scuffle)

Reactions: zzs006
Guys can get hurt in folk matches, free matches, practice, being reckless playing ultimate frisbee, DODGEBALL,lifting weights, etc. They're unavoidable, you work to mitigate them, take care of them when they come so your guys feel as good as possible but other than that, you don't do things to try to be as inactive as possbile, that's how you lose sharpness.

Our coaches do everything they can to prevent injuries, guys get days off when they are nicked up, we have the best trainer in the world, we already significantly limit in season matches than before (we used to host a home tournament, go to Keystone, everyone used to go to Clarion or Binghamton, then we went to the Scuffle)

Guys can get hurt in folk matches, free matches, practice, being reckless playing ultimate frisbee, lifting weights, etc. They're unavoidable, you work to mitigate them, take care of them when they come so your guys feel as good as possible but other than that, you don't do things to try to be as inactive as possbile, that's how you lose sharpness.

That reminds me of a story from long ago. In grad school, I finally talked my buddy (who started for a D3 college football team for 4 years and was never injured) into playing some Ultimate Frisbee with the PSU club team. He initially declined, stating he didn't feel like risking injury. I persuaded him by calling him a wuss and insisting it was a non-contact sport and great exercise. Within 10 minutes, he took an elbow to the forehead, and I had to listen to him bitching at me as we walked over to Ritenour to get him stitches. Good times!

That reminds me of a story from long ago. In grad school, I finally talked my buddy (who started for a D3 college football team for 4 years and was never injured) into playing some Ultimate Frisbee with the PSU club team. He initially declined, stating he didn't feel like risking injury. I persuaded him by calling him a wuss and insisting it was a non-contact sport and great exercise. Within 10 minutes, he took an elbow to the forehead, and I had to listen to him bitching at me as we walked over to Ritenour to get him stitches. Good times!

THREAD HIJACK: You play at PSU? What years? Did you get to destroy the fields and get the whole club suspended?

No. I don't know that story. Played in the early and mid 80's, mainly in Pollock fields (back when there were fields there). I'm an old fart...but still mentally in 8th grade.

Did you play?

Played at Towson in 2000 then 2003-4, then played for the Baltimore club for ~15 years.

Sometime in the mid 2000's at PSU a tournament was played in bad weather when it should've been cancelled and trashed a bunch of fields, PSU team got suspended for a year or two.

</ThreadHijack>

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT