ADVERTISEMENT

U20 and U23 WTT

i posted this on HR but i really want him to take this next year and volume attack in a bunch of matches. figure out some offensive series that work for his body. even if it means he takes some “bad losses.”.

he does all of the little things so well already. AA level positioning and hand fighting. knows how win close matches. kind of the reverse of your typical prospect.

if he develops his offense, he’s a title contender quickly.
He's like 5'6" and at max density. Advanced defensively but so are lots of guys.

The next folkstyle title that guy contends for will be if he sticks around for the Masters division. Unless you consider Nelson a title contender - like some do.

So your 2023 Junior World Team
57kg: Luke Lilledahl - Wyoming Sem/PSU
61kg: Nic Bouzakis - OSU
65kg: Jesse Mendez - OSU
70kg: Meyer Shapiro - Cornell
74kg: Mitchell Mesenbrink- PSU
79kg: Matt Singleton - NC State
86kg: Bennett Berge - SDSU
92kg: Jack Darrah - Stanford
97kg: Cam McDanel - Nebraska
125kg: Christian Carroll - OKST

Absolutely ridiculous late break saved Darrah because of Flo’s awful software.

Are we really busting on Arnold for finishing 2nd at U20 WTTs by a point in the deciding 3rd match to a collegian who was a top recruit the year before and beat one of our top recruits in the challenge tournament?

Are we really busting on Arnold for finishing 2nd at U20 WTTs by a point in the deciding 3rd match to a collegian who was a top recruit the year before and beat one of our top recruits in the challenge tournament?
When he calls our 3x champ overrated and then loses to a non NQ at 165 last year scoring 0 TDs in 18 minutes when he was the one that was fresh, yes.

This Clarion coach is reaming the officials at the table on the hit mic Mat 3. I have no interest and just the left the stream on.

“We could’ve saved a bunch of time if you just listened to what I was saying!” 😂😂😂

We have a handful of backups wrestling U23s:

Vespa
Evans
Levine
Barraclough
MLee

Vespa went 1-2, losing his second match on criteria 10-10.

Evans is 4-1 and still alive in the consis. (One of those wins may have been a FFT.)

Levine is 2-0 and remains in the Championship bracket.

Barraclough is 2-0 and remains in the Championship bracket.

Matt Lee is 2-0 and remains in the Championship bracket.

I could have easily missed someone.

Luke and Mitchell both looked really good. Both going to help us out a lot. Great additions.
I was surprised the way Hopke was handled. Cael knows

I am at a cookout and we are talking about kids 18 Turning 19 their senior years or in wrestling terms “Hold Backs”

Dalton perry
Nathan Desmond
Rocco Welsh
Brandt Harer
Connor Harer
Jax forrett
Bo Basset
Sam herring
Adam Watters
Luke Simcox
Kollin Rath
Madox Shaw

Just to make a few. They are really old but it seems like a recent theme

Reactions: mcpat
So your 2023 Junior World Team
57kg: Luke Lilledahl - Wyoming Sem/PSU
61kg: Nic Bouzakis - OSU
65kg: Jesse Mendez - OSU
70kg: Meyer Shapiro - Cornell
74kg: Mitchell Mesenbrink- PSU
79kg: Matt Singleton - NC State
86kg: Bennett Berge - SDSU
92kg: Jack Darrah - Stanford
97kg: Cam McDanel - Nebraska
125kg: Christian Carroll - OKST

Absolutely ridiculous late break saved Darrah because of Flo’s awful software.
This is one hell of a team! Think they bring home a team medal and likely gold. Can’t wait!!

If he didn't run his mouth about beating Carter, I think it would be different. His stupid decision to make those comments is going to bring him extra attention. If he's smart, he'll learn from it. If not, well...

I wouldn’t mind Davis getting the nod at 125 next year if he’s the best guy. It might work out best that way for utilizing everyone’s eligibility purposes. I believe Nasdeo will be greyshirting.
Please make up your mind: I turned a full 180 and start backing Robbie and the minute I do some of you are instantly counting him out again 😆

You can’t honestly think that a lot of these scoring rulings are just a matter of “try”.

When 3 guys that cover the sport at Flo, and 4th that covers the sport, coaches it, and wrestled it at the highest level aren’t understanding scoring… they’re just not trying hard enough I guess?
If you're trying and not getting it, then you weren't the subject of my post.

But since you asked: Yes. If the professionals don't understand the rules, they're not trying hard enough.

This Clarion coach is reaming the officials at the table on the hit mic Mat 3. I have no interest and just the left the stream on.

“We could’ve saved a bunch of time if you just listened to what I was saying!” 😂😂😂
He was in a bad mood because he went to George's barber shop and GOOD GRAVY he got a bad haircut...

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
Heeg wrestled the entire year at 190. How the hell did he get down to 79 kg / 173.8 lb?

Oh, that's right. OKST commit.
Zach Ryder wrestled at 189 this past season in high school (though I suspect he weighed considerably less than 189). Then won US Open a couple months later at 80 kg (176). Not much different than what you cite for Heeg.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Lilledahl is an absolute stud but I think his best attribute might be that he performs best in the biggest matches. He lost to Adrian Meza about 6 weeks ago and Meza went 0-2 today while Lilledahl won 2 straight in the finals against a very good kid who has spent a full year in a college room. This comes after he showed up big at the US open as well beating the defending U20 world champion who is also already in college. When you toe the line as often as Lilledahl does I think you are bound to take a loss here and there which he does but when the lights are brightest he seems to always win. Looks a lot like PSU at the national tournament every year

Mesenbrink is probably my favorite kid to watch at the moment. He is so hard nosed and just absolutely gets after it. Never gives an inch and constantly attacking. His re-attacks are so deadly. The first match he walked himself into a few shots from Garvin because he pursues so hard but the second match he just killed Garvin when he shot. Ran one way and then the other right into a single. Garvin had no answer. I’m so interested to see Mesenbrink in folk. His pace and attacks will obviously transfer but I’m not sure how he is on the mat. I’m sure Askren has him prepared. Watching Mesenbrink and Shapiro at camp for worlds would be fun! I think they both win world gold

If you're trying and not getting it, then you weren't the subject of my post.

But since you asked: Yes. If the professionals don't understand the rules, they're not trying hard enough.
We do know for certain that yianni wasn't TRYING when he lost to Nick.

Very random thought but did find it interesting no PSU guys are interested in pursuing U23 besides some room guys. Similarly, Haines isn't pursuing juniors either. Just Mesenbrink and he more or less took the year off. I know AB can take U23 spot if he loses Final X and wants it (I think he's eligible?)

I get vibes everyone is healing up and fully focused on folk knowing next year can be special special. AB and Star obviously has some Olympic goals to think about.

Lilledahl is an absolute stud but I think his best attribute might be that he performs best in the biggest matches. He lost to Adrian Meza about 6 weeks ago and Meza went 0-2 today while Lilledahl won 2 straight in the finals against a very good kid who has spent a full year in a college room. This comes after he showed up big at the US open as well beating the defending U20 world champion who is also already in college. When you toe the line as often as Lilledahl does I think you are bound to take a loss here and there which he does but when the lights are brightest he seems to always win. Looks a lot like PSU at the national tournament every year
Love Lilledahl for our program!

Can’t be mad at a lose every so often when you constantly compete. Cody, Gilman and RBY will have him ready to go!

I don't quite know why but this reminds me of freestyle scoring. The analogy doesn't fit but it still seems appropriate.
FxwA3ICWwAIg5K_

Levine on deck mat 11 when wrestling resumes at 10:00. Wrestles Cayden Rooks.

Evans in the hole on mat 8.

Last edited:
Levine over Rooks 4-2. Nice win over a 4-yr Big Ten starter and former NQ.

Evans also wins. 12-6. Had a Messenbrink counter TD so they must be teaching new moves still in State College.

Barraclough QF match in the hole mat 1. Vs Cael Swensen, R12 this past season.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw and Maddog
TB with first TD. Then three turns and it’s quickly 8-0 Barraclough over Swensen. Swensen made the bloodhound as a RFR at SDS this season. Another TB shot results in a stalemate. TB defends a shot. 8-0 at the break.

TB defends a shot but gives up step out. 8-1. TB in deep but body lock counter exposure for Swensen. 8-3 now. Swensen throw by counter TD makes it 8-5. TB shoots off whistle. Stalemated. TB gives easy TD prob to win on bottom but then Swensen gets exposure in final second. It’s being challenged. If it stands, Swensen wins. TB went too defensive late. Call stands. Quite the conference to see if time had expired. Evidently didn’t have exposure on replay, only the pts awarded. Tough loss; TB had it won. Never stop wrestling.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: hlstone and danoftw
Barraclough jumps out to an 8-0 lead then puts the brakes on appears to lose 9-8 with a last second turn. Challenging now.

Got what he deserved. Basically didn't even contest the last 2 TDs trying to bleed out the clock, the last with under 10 to go.
Gave his opponent the chance to win with the last second exposure.
Yup. Tried to sit on the lead the last 2 minutes for the most part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT