ADVERTISEMENT

U20 and U23 WTT

zzs006

Mar 27, 2017

This is the list of who has entered so far. Why are only some of the US open champions who are in the finals and waiting to wrestle the winner of this tournament entered? I’m assuming that the US open winners are not competing in the WTT tournament as they are already in the finals and yet most of them are listed in FLO’s entry list but not all of them. I don’t see Bouzakis, Shapiro, or Mesenbrink listed but every other US open champion is. Have those 3 just not registered yet?

Most of the weights look to have great competition especially at 86kg, 79kg, and 70kg. 74kg surprisingly only has 4 guys entered.

At 57kg Lilledahls main competition will probably be Spratley or Volk. Nasdeo is entered and has been wrestling great and Meza who beat Lilledahl about a month ago is entered as well. Would love to see a best of 3 between Volk and Lilledahl. Their finals match at the open was super fun

At 61kg I would expect one of Cael Hughes, Emilio Ysaguirre, Jr, Kyler Larkin, Zan Fugitt, or Kale Peterson to win and get to challenge Bouzakis for the world team spot.

At 65kg Tyler Kasak is waiting in the finals. Top guys who could make the finals opposite Kasak are Pierson Manville, Cole Brooks, KJ Evans, and Dylan Gilcher.

70kg is a stacked weight with a good mix of high school and college studs but waiting in the finals is the number 1 overall recruit Meyer Shapiro. Daniel Cardenas, Antrell Taylor, Jordan Williams, Kaleb Larkin, Jackson Arrington, Beau Mantanona, and Paniro Johnson are all capable of making the final and wrestling Shapiro. I’m hoping Paniro wins the tournament and gets a best of 3 against Shapiro. I think that would be a really fun series and Meyer already handled Cardenas and Taylor fairly easily.

74kg has new PSU wrestler Mitchell Mesenbrink sitting in the finals. The only 4 guys entered so far are PSU recruit Joseph Sealey, Hunter Garvin, William Henckel, and Kamdyn Munro. Garvin beat Sealey and lost to Mesenbrink at the US open. Munro beat Levi Haines last summer so he’s capable of beating top competition. I think Sealey reverses the result against Garvin and will see Mesenbrink with a world team spot on the line.

At 79kg we have Iowa commit Gabe Arnold waiting in the finals. This is a super fun weight with a lot of great kids including PSU commit Josh Barr, Rocco Welsh, AJ Heeg, Matthew Singleton, Noah Mulvaney, and MJ Gaitan. I’m hoping Josh Barr can reverse a couple of his recent losses because we would all love to see a Barr vs Arnold final but I’m actually picking Singleton to come out and make the finals. He’s super tough plus he has a year in a great college room at NC State.

86kg is the deepest weight in my mind. Bennett Berge won the US open and is in the finals. His top competitors are Max McEnelly, Brayden Thompson, Rylan Rogers, PSU commit Connor Mirasola, Clayton Whiting, and Tate Naaktgeboren. I think all of these guys have the talent to win the bracket on any given day making it super difficult to pick a winner. I’ll be a homer and pick Mirasola or Rogers.

92kg has Jack Darrah as the US open winner. Guys he could see in the final are Cole Mirasola, Wyatt Voelker, Gavin Nelson, Stephen Little, and Gabe Sollars. I’m thinking Nelson wins and meets up with Darrah.

97kg has Camden McDanel waiting in the finals. This weight only has 3 other guys registered and they are Damion Shunke, Sawyer Bartelt, and Ben Kawczynski. I put $ on it being a Bartelt vs McDanel final.

125kg is one of the more interesting weights in my eyes. Sitting in the final is the very very good Christian Carroll who won the US open. This weight is interesting because Koy Hopke is registered after not competing in the open. A Hopke vs Carroll best of 3 final might be the matchup I would be most intrigued by. Both guys are top 5 overall recruits in their respective classes. Some guys who might challenge Hopke to get the chance at Carroll are Nathan Taylor, Chase Horne, Aden Attao, Navarro Shunke, and Harley Andrews.

None of the weights have a ton of kids entered. I’m sure a few more guys will register so this could change some but probably not much. PSU is well represented and could send guys at 6 weights but 3 is more likely. Overall, this USA team looks like it will be stacked and should have a great chance to win a team title at worlds.

This is the list of who has entered so far. Why are only some of the US open champions who are in the finals and waiting to wrestle the winner of this tournament entered? I’m assuming that the US open winners are not competing in the WTT tournament as they are already in the finals and yet most of them are listed in FLO’s entry list but not all of them. I don’t see Bouzakis, Shapiro, or Mesenbrink listed but every other US open champion is. Have those 3 just not registered yet?

Most of the weights look to have great competition especially at 86kg, 79kg, and 70kg. 74kg surprisingly only has 4 guys entered.

At 57kg Lilledahls main competition will probably be Spratley or Volk. Nasdeo is entered and has been wrestling great and Meza who beat Lilledahl about a month ago is entered as well. Would love to see a best of 3 between Volk and Lilledahl. Their finals match at the open was super fun

At 61kg I would expect one of Cael Hughes, Emilio Ysaguirre, Jr, Kyler Larkin, Zan Fugitt, or Kale Peterson to win and get to challenge Bouzakis for the world team spot.

At 65kg Tyler Kasak is waiting in the finals. Top guys who could make the finals opposite Kasak are Pierson Manville, Cole Brooks, KJ Evans, and Dylan Gilcher.

70kg is a stacked weight with a good mix of high school and college studs but waiting in the finals is the number 1 overall recruit Meyer Shapiro. Daniel Cardenas, Antrell Taylor, Jordan Williams, Kaleb Larkin, Jackson Arrington, Beau Mantanona, and Paniro Johnson are all capable of making the final and wrestling Shapiro. I’m hoping Paniro wins the tournament and gets a best of 3 against Shapiro. I think that would be a really fun series and Meyer already handled Cardenas and Taylor fairly easily.

74kg has new PSU wrestler Mitchell Mesenbrink sitting in the finals. The only 4 guys entered so far are PSU recruit Joseph Sealey, Hunter Garvin, William Henckel, and Kamdyn Munro. Garvin beat Sealey and lost to Mesenbrink at the US open. Munro beat Levi Haines last summer so he’s capable of beating top competition. I think Sealey reverses the result against Garvin and will see Mesenbrink with a world team spot on the line.

At 79kg we have Iowa commit Gabe Arnold waiting in the finals. This is a super fun weight with a lot of great kids including PSU commit Josh Barr, Rocco Welsh, AJ Heeg, Matthew Singleton, Noah Mulvaney, and MJ Gaitan. I’m hoping Josh Barr can reverse a couple of his recent losses because we would all love to see a Barr vs Arnold final but I’m actually picking Singleton to come out and make the finals. He’s super tough plus he has a year in a great college room at NC State.

86kg is the deepest weight in my mind. Bennett Berge won the US open and is in the finals. His top competitors are Max McEnelly, Brayden Thompson, Rylan Rogers, PSU commit Connor Mirasola, Clayton Whiting, and Tate Naaktgeboren. I think all of these guys have the talent to win the bracket on any given day making it super difficult to pick a winner. I’ll be a homer and pick Mirasola or Rogers.

92kg has Jack Darrah as the US open winner. Guys he could see in the final are Cole Mirasola, Wyatt Voelker, Gavin Nelson, Stephen Little, and Gabe Sollars. I’m thinking Nelson wins and meets up with Darrah.

97kg has Camden McDanel waiting in the finals. This weight only has 3 other guys registered and they are Damion Shunke, Sawyer Bartelt, and Ben Kawczynski. I put $ on it being a Bartelt vs McDanel final.

125kg is one of the more interesting weights in my eyes. Sitting in the final is the very very good Christian Carroll who won the US open. This weight is interesting because Koy Hopke is registered after not competing in the open. A Hopke vs Carroll best of 3 final might be the matchup I would be most intrigued by. Both guys are top 5 overall recruits in their respective classes. Some guys who might challenge Hopke to get the chance at Carroll are Nathan Taylor, Chase Horne, Aden Attao, Navarro Shunke, and Harley Andrews.

None of the weights have a ton of kids entered. I’m sure a few more guys will register so this could change some but probably not much. PSU is well represented and could send guys at 6 weights but 3 is more likely. Overall, this USA team looks like it will be stacked and should have a great chance to win a team title at worlds.
Many thanks, @zzs006! Your well-researched preview posts are not flashy enough for POTY contention perhaps, but they are always super valuable and class up this hawkeye-obsessed place well beyond what we deserve.

Gophs are going to go 3 for 3 in the heavier weights and send McEnelly, Nelson & Hopke to worlds. 😎

Kidding, kinda. I think all are capable but it would take an incredible tournament to send all three.

Reactions: slaterun
Gophs are going to go 3 for 3 in the heavier weights and send McEnelly, Nelson & Hopke to worlds. 😎

Kidding, kinda. I think all are capable but it would take an incredible tournament to send all three.
I think you have a decent shot of that happening. McEnelly and Nelson are definitely in the mix and wrestling well. I would pick Hopke over Carroll but don’t have a ton of confidence in it. What do you think about the Hopke/Carroll matchup?

I think you have a decent shot of that happening. McEnelly and Nelson are definitely in the mix and wrestling well. I would pick Hopke over Carroll but don’t have a ton of confidence in it. What do you think about the Hopke/Carroll matchup?
I think right now Carrol is a tough matchup because he’s strong as hell and could still have the quickness to match Hopke. But, I think Hopke has the frame to add more weight where Carroll looks maxed out to me. Hopke will eventually be better, but may get pushed around a bit right now imo. Wouldn’t be shocked either way.

Wish I woulda knew this was back in Geneva!

Wife bought us tickets to the pirates game sat evening and we’ll be crashin at the camp instead of driving home.

Thanks for the heads up Bordo😡

• Sad
Reactions: 82bordeaux
Who are the possible surprises I wonder?
Gotta believe the entire starting roster would be age eligible, right?

Im thinking Kerk, Facundo, Bartlett, SVN??

A healthy Starocci would be a nice surprise…

Correct me if wrong but wouldnt the winner of U23 WTT have too wrestle Brooks (assuming he loses too DT) if Brooks so wishes to challenge?

There may be other weights that have the same situation but too lazy too look up all the FX matchups.

Gotta believe the entire roster would be age eligible, right?

Gotta think Kerk, Facundo, Bartlett, SVN??

A healthy Starocci would be a nice surprise…

Correct me if wrong but wouldnt the winner of U23 WTT have too wrestle Brooks (assuming he loses too DT) if Brooks so wishes to challenge?

There may be other weights that have the same situation but too lazy too look up all the FX matchups.
I’m pretty sure that the guys in Final X have the U23 spot if they want it. Any chance Robbie enters? Doubt it but he loves freestyle and if he’s healthy he could knock some rust loose

Reactions: 1AA
I’m pretty sure that the guys in Final X have the U23 spot if they want it. Any chance Robbie enters? Doubt it but he loves freestyle and if he’s healthy he could knock some rust loose
From what I gather fro Robbie's last tweet, he is almost ready to start practicing again. Please take this with a grain of salt or something like that.

Guess Im confusulated.

Isnt U23 WTT before FX?

Shouldnt it be vice-versa?

I remember the year Bo lost to DT at FX then won U23 worlds but dont remember if Bo had to actually wrestle anyone for the spot.

From what I gather fro Robbie's last tweet, he is almost ready to start practicing again. Please take this with a grain of salt or something like that.
That makes more sense. I was hoping it meant he was close to competing but your take on it is probably correct

Reactions: hlstone
After Berge and Cassar, I don't want to see Robbie within 100 miles of a freestyle mat until after he graduates. WTF are people thinking? Rust in June is not a bad thing. He is one big injury away from most likely leaving his shoes on the mat.

Guess Im confusulated.

Isnt U23 WTT before FX?

Shouldnt it be vice-versa?

I remember the year Bo lost to DT at FX then won U23 worlds but dont remember if Bo had to actually wrestle anyone for the spot.

I don’t think U23 WTT trials matter if the guy in Final X is age eligible and wants the spot. They still wrestle every weight because a lot of the guys in final X won’t take the spot. I could be wrong but I think that’s how it works

Anyone age eligible that is top 3 on the senior World team is offered the U23 spot, regardless of the U23 tourny results.

This year, there are 5 weights that could be decided by Final X results. See below

U23 spots:

57 - Camacho(age?)if he wins "true 3rd" at Final X, otherwise U23 WTT champ

61- Vito (age) - U23 WTT Champ

65- U23 WTT Champ

70 - Sasso(age?) if he wins "true 3rd" at Final X, otherwise U23 WTT champ

74 - O'Toole if he wins "true 3rd" at Final X, otherwise U23 WTT champ

79 - U23 WTT champ

86 - Brooks

92 - U23 WTT champ

97 - U23 WTT champ

125 - Steveson

Last edited:
Anyone age eligible that is top 3 on the senior World team is offered the U23 spot, regardless of the U23 tourny results.

This year, there are 6 weights that could be decided by Final X results. See below

U23 spots:

57 - Camacho if he wins "true 3rd" at Final X, otherwise U23 WTT champ

61- Vito

65- U23 WTT Champ

70 - Sasso(age?) if he wins "true 3rd" at Final X, otherwise U23 WTT champ

74 - O'Toole if he wins "true 3rd" at Final X, otherwise U23 WTT champ

79 - U23 WTT champ

86 - Brooks

92 - U23 WTT champ

97 - U23 WTT champ

125 - Steveson
Thank you for the clarification. You always bring good info to this board. Much appreciated

Thank you for the clarification. You always bring good info to this board. Much appreciated

Process can be confusing, and it was changed fairly recently.

Bo was referenced above. He did have a wrestle-off. That was the previous process.

Starocci was the U23 rep last year under the new process without wrestling at U23 WTTs because he finished top 3 on the Sr team.

This year, there are 6 weights that could be decided by Final X results. See below

U23 spots:

57 - Camacho if he wins "true 3rd" at Final X, otherwise U23 WTT champ

61- Vito
I believe Vito turns 24 on Thursday.

Reactions: jrod65
Process can be confusing, and it was changed fairly recently.

Bo was referenced above. He did have a wrestle-off. That was the previous process.

Starocci was the U23 rep last year under the new process without wrestling at U23 WTTs because he finished top 3 on the Sr team.
Didn’t like it last year. Don’t like it now. Should at least have to wrestle off, even if it’s a forgone conclusion

Agree 100%

Quite a kick in the teeth to the guy who just won his bracket at U23 to be told “sorry, you’re out”

What’s odd is that this is easily prevented if FX precedes U23 WTT’s

everybody knew (or at least should have known) that if a U23 guy makes the world team then they get the U23 spot automatically. if someone chose to not wrestle seniors at the US Open or senior WTT then that's their own fault.

everybody knew (or at least should have known) that if a U23 guy makes the world team then they get the U23 spot automatically. if someone chose to not wrestle seniors at the US Open or senior WTT then that's their own fault.
But they’re separate teams. And finishes at seniors can be as much about draw as anything, especially on the back side.

If you want to make the U23 team, you go win U23 trials. Otherwise U23 trials are just silly.

And everybody knew that ONE ref could decide who won a FS World Title in the event of a tie many years ago.
Everybody knew, yet everybody still participated, doesnt mean it wasnt a shitty deal.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
But they’re separate teams. And finishes at seniors can be as much about draw as anything, especially on the back side.

If you want to make the U23 team, you go win U23 trials. Otherwise U23 trials are just silly.

sure, it's possible someone 'draws' their way to 3rd place, but the great majority of the time you need to beat some really good senior guys to place that high.

i think as long as it's known ahead of time then it's all copacetic, but reasonable minds can disagree.

sure, it's possible someone 'draws' their way to 3rd place, but the great majority of the time you need to beat some really good senior guys to place that high.

i think as long as it's known ahead of time then it's all copacetic, but reasonable minds can disagree.
For sure. And I think there’s also a difference between thinking something is bad and thinking something is unfair.

As you said, everyone competed under the same rules. Therefore it’s fair. I just think it’s bad.

Which, to each their own.

I'm guessing too old unless they graduated high school at 17, which I doubt.
Sasso and Camacho were both 2018. So they could've graduated at age 18 and still be eligible for U23s. (Steveson was also 2018, and he's 22.)

Arujau was 2017.

Not the best setup for U23, but I don't have a better answer. I would prefer that the U23 WTT was a stand-alone process. The timing of it in regards to the Sr WTT isn't ideal, but not sure if pushing it out farther from the college season would be a positive or negative.

I really, really like that the high-level younger guys don't have to decide between the two. It incentivizes the wrestlers to go for the Sr. team, which seems like a win.

Sasso and Camacho were both 2018. So they could've graduated at age 18 and still be eligible for U23s. (Steveson was also 2018, and he's 22.)

Arujau was 2017.
The USA Wrestling site reads U23 (born 2000-2005)
Si I guess you could be born January 1, 2000 and be eligible even if you have turned 23. Am I reading that correctly?

Reactions: jrod65
Not the best setup for U23, but I don't have a better answer. I would prefer that the U23 WTT was a stand-alone process. The timing of it in regards to the Sr WTT isn't ideal, but not sure if pushing it out farther from the college season would be a positive or negative.

I really, really like that the high-level younger guys don't have to decide between the two. It incentivizes the wrestlers to go for the Sr. team, which seems like a win.
It seems simple to me to just set up a best of three wrestle off in Colorado Springs or whatever for the spot?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PSU Mike
It seems simple to me to just set up a beer of three wrestle off in Colorado Springs or whatever for the spot?
Season 3 Bar GIF by The Simpsons

They did have Bo wrestle Woodley for his U23 spot at Fargo, so there is precedent. But nowadays, instead of Fargo or the OTC, they should just go w/ the location where at least 1/2 the competitors if not all of them likely live--State College.

• Haha
It seems simple to me to just set up a beer of three wrestle off in Colorado Springs or whatever for the spot?

Not against it personally, but that still has drawbacks. It adds yet another step to the qualifying process, which means more travel, expenses, training, etc.

Thinking on this a bit more(I do like your best-of-3 idea)...

If timelines for both(Srs and U23) are to remain as is, how about instead of just giving the spot to a top 3 age-eligible finisher from Srs, they get a pass to best-of-three finals at U23 WTT instead?

This would still incentive wrestlers to try and make the Sr team, while allowing the U23' WTT tournament to actually decide the team. Would also keep the matches to a minimum for those trying to make both teams.

May have to change it a bit, as "true 3rd" Sr team isn't decided until Final X(after U23 tourny). Could just go top age-eligible placer at the Open gets a pass to finals of U23's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT