ADVERTISEMENT

US open - Junior Nationals

For reference, that was against Julian Ramirez, who will be Cornell's 165 this year.

Ramirez went 23-6 in 2020 as a 157/165 grayshirt.
Only concern about Facundo is if he can hold 165 for a few years cause otherwise he’s blocked out

Reactions: diggerpup
O'Toole walked right through the tourney. I won't be surprised if he's atop the podium next March.

Did anyone watch the matches? How did Matt Lee look? I saw his first 10-0 win was over Evan Yant, who wrestled back to finish 7th.

Also, is PSU looking at/recruiting 61kg Champ Jesse Mendez? He's legit!

Did anyone watch the matches? How did Matt Lee look? I saw his first 10-0 win was over Evan Yant, who wrestled back to finish 7th.

Also, is PSU looking at/recruiting 61kg Champ Jesse Mendez? He's legit!
Matt is a work in progress. Got stuck on short shots and gave up go behind. A couple of points given up were pure free-style points on the edge. Some good stuff.......never quit but has work to do. Re: Mendez. Who isn't after Mendez?

Mendez released his school list a few months ago, and we're not on it:

Arizona State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Princeton, Purdue.

Arizona State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Princeton, Purdue.

With SVN and BB around the same weight and PSU in the conversation about Bouzakis, perhaps Mendez is thinking three’s a crowd?

Reactions: Dogwelder
With SVN and BB around the same weight and PSU in the conversation about Bouzakis, perhaps Mendez is thinking three’s a crowd?
Maybe, or maybe Cael is only looking at Bouzakis.

Caveat that these 2 matches were a few years ago, but Bouzakis beat Mendez in both of them. FIrst one, Bouzakis was losing 11-5 halfway thru the 2nd before getting a reversal and locking up a near-side cradle for the fall. Bouzakis won the 2nd match 15-2.

If Brooks would ever go 197 I see Facundo going 184. His frame just seems much larger then CStar and Brooks honestly. Dude is gangly as hell lol

I didn't realize but Facundo took down some really good wrestlers this weekend ... Dean Hamiti obviously is a Top 10 PFP, Derek Fields is #6 in Willie's 160, Sonny Santiago and Julian Ramirez were both elite recruits who have experience in college room already (Ramirez 2 years now)

Keegan O'Toole is a National Champion caliber wrestler right now and I am predicting he's going to be a Gold Medalist soon as well. Alex isn't there .... yet

I didn't realize but Facundo took down some really good wrestlers this weekend ... Dean Hamiti obviously is a Top 10 PFP, Derek Fields is #6 in Willie's 160, Sonny Santiago and Julian Ramirez were both elite recruits who have experience in college room already (Ramirez 2 years now)

Keegan O'Toole is a National Champion caliber wrestler right now and I am predicting he's going to be a Gold Medalist soon as well. Alex isn't there .... yet
I’d agree Alex isn’t at O’Toole’s level right now, but he is a 2x cadet Bronze.

I’d agree Alex isn’t at O’Toole’s level right now, but he is a 2x cadet Bronze.
Alex is an elite wrestler and if we were to pull his shirt next year, I'd feel pretty good about him AA'ing with his defense and having a year in the room to learn some offense but I feel a redshirt would help him come out and be a National contender off the bat similar to what we see from our hammers.

Did anyone give Amos a match? Surprised no Ferrari.

I have been saying it for a year. Amos will take out Ferrari next year. He is a beast and despite Ferrari's greek god physique, Amos is just as strong. I believe we came close to getting him, I am still bummed.

• Haha
Reactions: PABulldogs
Granted, Im admittedly no expert on HS wrestlers, but I’ve literally NEVER heard of ANY of those guys.
Anybody there he shouldnt have beat?
There were a lot of good guys in the field I was expecting Beau to run into but the guys he ended up beating (and dominating) are why he didn't see them.

Hunter Lewis was a redshirting freshman this year and went 6-1 and pinned everybody he beat (including AA Millner)
Composto beat Rathjen
Larkin beat Saunders

Obviously Chance Lamer is a stud.

Bottom line, based on the scores, Beau was challenged really once in the tournament, Match 2 against Lamer (granted obviously context means a lot in freestyle, I know he trap armed Larkin)

Granted, Im admittedly no expert on HS wrestlers, but I’ve literally NEVER heard of ANY of those guys.
Anybody there he shouldnt have beat?
Marcos Polanco was Minnesota’s starter at 141 last season. Ranked in the top 25 at the end of the season and ncaa qualifier.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Lewis wrestled all, or at least part, of last season at 149. He beat AA Millner at 149.

I know the transitive property doesn't hold true in wrestling, but combine results from this weekend with an OT loss to Thomas and a 2 pt loss to Sasso, I think Bartlett can do quite well at 149 if that is where he wrestles this year.

Everyone take a deep breath, its freestyle, kids are young, sh’t happens, did i say its freestyle.

Mendez has announced the five schools where he'll be making official visits, according to FRL this morning. He has pared down the number of schools he's considering and added Penn State. These are the five:

• Penn State
  • Arizona State
  • Ohio State
  • Iowa
  • Indiana

Mendez has announced the five schools where he'll be making official visits, according to FRL this morning. He has pared down the number of schools he's considering and added Penn State. These are the five:

• Penn State
  • Arizona State
  • Ohio State
  • Iowa
  • Indiana
Does this mean we are more than likely out of the Bouzakis race? Maybe we weren't talking to Mendez back then and now it looks like Bouzakis to Ok St is close?

• Penn State
  • Arizona State
  • Ohio State
  • Iowa
  • Indiana
What's his projected weight in college I'm curious.

Does this mean we are more than likely out of the Bouzakis race? Maybe we weren't talking to Mendez back then and now it looks like Bouzakis to Ok St is close?

PSU was apparently not recruiting him and now they are. The FRL crew said they don't know why Penn State had the change of heart. Your Bouzakis theory makes a lot of sense.

ADVERTISEMENT