ADVERTISEMENT

The Steelers just traded Pickett to the Eagles.

no incentive whatsoever to admit that the Bears blew a high first round draft pick on a quarterback who can’t play the position.

I don't think any amount of argument(s) can change reality: Fields has been below average as a pro. The reasons? I don't particularly care and they don't change the fact that, again: Fields has been a below average pro.

Who knows why this fluff is out there. You don't trade Fields if he's moderately successful and my biggest problem with the story is Fields picking Pittsburgh, who has been a terrible offensive team for Fields entire pro career.

Nice post but I don’t believe they had any offers that were significantly better or they would have jumped on it. They would not have turned down a 2d rd pick. Or a 3rd.

These teams are ruthlessly driven to get better, especially teams like the Bears that have been struggling. Would be crazy to turn down a better deal.
Said it's an assumption based on the the accepted offer. Obviously the fans don't really know what offers were on the table. It's clear the market for Fields wasn't great either way, and the Bears org and fans mostly do seem to like Fields so if they had minimal variance in the offers they got I could see them letting Fields have some input on where he'd like to go. It might have just been a 6th and they got the Steelers to upgrade to a conditional 4th if they had some offers for a 5th or something. Regardless, they clearly weren't going to get much, even a 4th or 5th wouldn't have been considered all that great and I highly doubt they were offered anything better than that given where things ended up. Part of the issue is Fields is nearing the end of his rookie deal so any team he went to was going to have a decision to make on him, and that probably helped to nerf his value.

I think that the two quarterback moves for the Steelers make them better at the position. Maybe it only means taking that position group from a D minus to a D, but fields is definitely better than Pickett, if nothing else, for his running ability, and Wilson is much better than Trubisky.
Combine those with the fact that they are cheaper and that gives Pittsburgh no need to trade up for a quarterback. It should set up their team well down the road even if next year is the year they need to draft the quarterback.

Last edited:
I think that the two quarterback moves for the Steelers make them better at the position. Maybe it only means taking that position group from a D minus to a D, but fields is definitely better than Pickett, if nothing else, for his running ability, and Wilson is much better than Trubisky.
Combine those with the fact that they are cheaper and that gives Pittsburgh no need to trade up for a quarterback. It should set up their team well down the road even if next year is the year they need to draft the quarterback.
And there is no reason why the Steelers should pass on a QB they believe could be their next 10-15 year franchise QB in this year's draft. The Steelers have the option to part ways with Fields and/or Wilson after this year, and having those two for this season with Wilson as the starter would allow a young QB to learn to play in the NFL before he is thrown out there.

And there is no reason why the Steelers should pass on a QB they believe could be their next 10-15 year franchise QB in this year's draft. The Steelers have the option to part ways with Fields and/or Wilson after this year, and having those two for this season with Wilson as the starter would allow a young QB to learn to play in the NFL before he is thrown out there.
Yep, and draft is right before the deadline to execute Fields option. Steelers will then know better if they want him back.

Reactions: bison13
This is the first rational assessment of the Steelers’ quarterback situation I’ve seen on here. At best they’ve taken a D- and made it a D. Bravo!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT