ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Indiana Match Thread

Please use this thread for pre-match, in-match, and post-match discussion about the match. If responding to another post, please use the quote function.

When: 1/27, @ 1 pm EST

Where: @ Indiana

TV: none

Video Streaming: BTN+ and FloPro for those that have subscriptions to the aforementioned

Audio Streaming: Ironhead will be providing radio PBP for the match, and it will be streamed for free via LionVision, at:

https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=242

Tom et al - thanks for posting / I enjoy listening to Ironhead orate the matches. Thank you!

Verk's a freshman. I'm assuming he'll fill into to the weight as he matures (and hits the weights hard!!). But he has a lot of skill. I'd like to see him develop some kind of top game. I think he has a chance to be really good if he can get bigger for the weight.

Saw about 80% of his matches at Belle Vernon and Hempfield . He hasn't really improved much since then in any of the 3 phases. Hard to see further improvement as a result. Could have plateaued . With that being said haven't been overly blown away by Berge either . PSU will need to amp up its middleweights in the next few recruiting cycles.

Meh as you like to say..
It appeared to me you were judging the kid on his record alone, and didn't even get that right. I have no idea how good (or not so good) Silva's going to be...it just seems he got his legs underneath him just after Christmas. He lost two early season bouts at 157, while descending to 149, and it's at least possible he was horsed a bit at the higher weight.
Anyway, he's 3-3 at 149 this year, with a good win vs Bannister, and a not-so-horrible 4-point loss to #8 Justin Oliver. Verk, as a RSFr isn't the most offensive wrestler yet, but he's working on it. It was a good win, and being in the PSU room will help separate him from guys like this moving forward. I would expect more than a two-point victory if they ever meet again.

Saw about 80% of his matches at Belle Vernon and Hempfield . He hasn't really improved much since then in any of the 3 phases. Hard to see further improvement as a result. Could have plateaued . With that being said haven't been overly blown away by Berge either . PSU will need to amp up its middleweights in the next few recruiting cycles.

I love Berge’s future and think he’s really really good, maybe it’s just me? I hope he’s a PSU starter for 3 more healthy years @157 though

Reactions: danoftw and pish69
I love Berge’s future and think he’s really really good, maybe it’s just me? I hope he’s a PSU starter for 3 more healthy years @157 though

Agree,,.to me he’s figuring it out and finding out how he wants to wrestle. I like his future.

I feel Verk still has more to show us and look forward to it. No doubt he will improve leaps and bounds

One last story from the Indiana match... got to sit beside a nice dairy farmer from Evansville, IN (i.e. Nick Lee’s home town) whose kids went to Perdue, so he was “all in” on his support of PSU v IU.

He mentioned being at a conference in the mid-west somewhere, St. Louis I think, where he met Teske’s dad. Told the story of his recruiting trip to Iowa City where he was fêted with pizza and soda, and when he came to PSU... it was crackers & caviar! He supposedly turned to his dad and said: our search is over!

Not sure how much to believe, but my new dairy BFF believed it. I wonder if the 3” binder had a chapter on Sturgeon roe? :rolleyes:

I feel like Verk and Manville are similar in their upside. Both wrestled a ton of matches as youths and are very sound positionally. However, they both are not super dynamic offensively and being sound will only get you so far. I agree with jschrantz, not every one will be 4x AAs, let the, be who they are. They’ll start some matches, maybe start for a year or two. They bring some depth to the squad.

Reactions: jschrantz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT