ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Indiana Match Thread

174: Hall vs. Jake Covaciu

Per 1
Cavaciu in on a single, Hall with a counter roll, and gets behind for the TD, 2-0. Nice move by Mark. Cavaciu up and out, 2-1. Missed a short bit -- sorry. 1 min left. Hall shoots a single, Cavaciu sprawls, and a stalemate with 16 sec left. End.
RT @ 21 sec for Hall

Per 2
Hall takes bottom. He works to his feet, and gets out after a bit, 3-1. Hall reaches for a leg, nothing. Does so again, nothing. Hall shoots a single, and Cavaciu hit with a stall warning. Hall in on a single, elevates it, and trips Cavaciu to the mat for the TD, 5-1. End. RT @ 50 for Hall

Per 3
Blood stoppage for Cavaciu before the start of the period. Cavaciu takes bottom. He's out in 9 sec, so RT is 59 sec for Hall, 5-2. Cavaciu shoots, but Hall gets out. Hall snaps the head down, and they go OOB with 57 sec. Hall with a quick shot, nothing, but gets a single for the TD on a re-shot, 7-2. He cuts Cavaciu, 7-3. Hall gets behind for a TD, 9-3, and cuts Cavaciu, 9-4. Hall with a duck-under for a TD, 11-4. With 1:20 in RT, it's a 12-4, Major

Final: 35-9, PSU

Devin Schnupp interview on the post match show

Congrats on the victory
- it feels good

Talk a bit about your thoughts going into the match
- I wasn't sure who I was going to get, so I was looking to keep it simple

Where is your confidence now. Are you seeing the progress that we are seeing?
- my confidence is always growing. Looking back, I'm a lot better than where I was in HS, or last year. I keep putting in the work, and do what my coaches tell me, and have confidence that will propel me forward

You seem to take it to your opponents in the 3rd period. Do you try to keep it close in the 1st period
- it's a trending factor, and my coaches know it. Just playing to my strengths. Perhaps I'm not warmed up enough. We're looking at it

Talk about Michigan -- how excited are you to compete in the BJC
- I've never been in the BJC competing. It's going to be awesome. The guys on the bench were talking about it. It's going to be fun

From a team perspective, does this set things up for the 2 biggest matches coming up?
- I haven't really thought about that. We always compete

Anybody that is helping you the most?
- not really. There are things to learn from all the guys -- they each have different styles

Did Roman's forfeit add any urgency to you?
- I wasn't really focused on that. I knew we would get the job done. I'm always wrestling for the team and for PSU

He's the Ernie Lucas Award Winner for the Indiana dual

Jared needs to get better. Shouldn’t struggling with a 2-4 wrestler
3-4 after a win vs Filius recently, 11-7, same guy Verk beat 8-3 Friday night. Also beat Bannister, 6-4, a guy that's been in and out of the top-20, not to mention Silva only lost to #8 Justin Oliver by 4. A couple unexplainable losses, especially early, but looking deeper it wasn't a horrible decision win for Verk.

Byers mentioned that Nick Lee is getting mobbed by kids. (Jeff seems unaware that Mater Dei HS wrestling came up to watch Lee take on his former teammate, Kyle Luigs.)

that's it for me on the PBP for the Indy dual.

A nice victory by PSU.

The next two matches are on Friday nights, and will be televised on BTN.

Jared needs to get better. Shouldn’t struggling with a 2-4 wrestler

Agreed. The kid was a d2 runnerup and beat Bannister this year, but Verk just doesn't have the horsepower at 149. With no Busiello or Gavin in the fold, I imagine he will be a starter for at least a year or two. I wouldn't mind if he and Nick Lee swapped weights.

Reactions: dunkej01
The last takedown by Hall perfectly encapsulates why PSU wrestling is so dominant. The match was in hand, dual was in hand but Hall lets him escape so that he can take him down again and get the major. If you don’t wrestle like that all of the time it can’t be suddenly switched on. When we get to Big Tens and Nationals we are a bonus point machine in large part because we ALWAYS are looking for bonus.

Cradle, half nelson....same thing....these poor fellows announcing didnt haveva clue but muddled through
I liked their wrap up. "Indiana did real well in the first five matches and were only behind 12-9 at the break". They didn't mention that the 9 Indiana points came via a forfeit and a decision against a back up wrestler. But, hey, gotta look for a silver lining somewhere after a match like that, I guess.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Cassar having a problem with his “headset.” Apparently needed to adjust the volume to hear coaches ongoing instruction. :)

Jesus dude you know better than to share program secrets on the board. If Vodka get wind of this we're through...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339 and danoftw
Verk's a freshman. I'm assuming he'll fill into to the weight as he matures (and hits the weights hard!!). But he has a lot of skill. I'd like to see him develop some kind of top game. I think he has a chance to be really good if he can get bigger for the weight.

Verk's a freshman. I'm assuming he'll fill into to the weight as he matures (and hits the weights hard!!). But he has a lot of skill. I'd like to see him develop some kind of top game. I think he has a chance to be really good if he can get bigger for the weight.
Agree completely. Skill on feet, needs to learn how to keep stronger guys down. We are spoiled in that our rsfrosh wont win nationals this year

Byers mentioned that Nick Lee is getting mobbed by kids. (Jeff seems unaware that Mater Dei HS wrestling came up to watch Lee take on his former teammate, Kyle Luigs.).

On the scene reporting here in Bloomington.... Nick Lee was absolutely mobbed by kids, teens, adults, family, and friends! Looked like 2 buses organized out of Evansville: one Mater Dei school bus & an adult charter!

Good crowd in a nice new arena... 34% PSU, 33% IU, 33% Mater Dei!:)

Other notes:
RBY noticeably favoring one knee over the other when walking.

Poor JB banished to the far netherheights of the upper landing partly blocked by a wall... Student U boys also in the upper landing, but at least they were over the mat without a wall obstruction... no respect!:mad:

Nice size student section considering a woman’s basketball game contemporaneously played at an adjacent arena... then the free pizza arrived for them and it all made sense!:eek:

PSU crowd went wild for Devin’s win... #mostknowledgeablefansinthenation;)

Verk is 20.5 years old , he should be physically mature?

Reactions: Antaeus
3-4 after a win vs Filius recently, 11-7, same guy Verk beat 8-3 Friday night. Also beat Bannister, 6-4, a guy that's been in and out of the top-20, not to mention Silva only lost to #8 Justin Oliver by 4. A couple unexplainable losses, especially early, but looking deeper it wasn't a horrible decision win for Verk.

Meh as you like to say..

If someone told me they’d give me a $1,000,000 bucks to say Ironhead isn’t the best in the business, I don’t think I could do it. He just called Schnupp’s match like he was going for his 4th NCAA final. What a treasure.
hr thinks his bias is cringeworthy

Are you being serious? Q and Bo didn't get bigger and stronger as they matriculated? What about Zane?

Were they that old as freshman? ZAIN was pretty strong far before 20.5. Didn’t These guys all go up in weight as careers went along? The body types of Q and Bo didn’t change dramatically , here’s a hint: they were better Wrestlers from the Go and that’s fine. Let Verk be Verk, he isn’t the next Legend and that’s ok.

Last edited:
Cradle, half nelson....same thing....these poor fellows announcing didnt haveva clue but muddled through

Hey, but he knew about sprawls! :)
On the scene reporting here in Bloomington.... Nick Lee was absolutely mobbed by kids, teens, adults, family, and friends! Looked like 2 buses organized out of Evansville: one Mater Dei school bus & an adult charter!

Good crowd in a nice new arena... 34% PSU, 33% IU, 33% Mater Dei!:)

Other notes:
RBY noticeably favoring one knee over the other when walking.

Poor JB banished to the far netherheights of the upper landing partly blocked by a wall... Student U boys also in the upper landing, but at least they were over the mat without a wall obstruction... no respect!:mad:

Nice size student section considering a woman’s basketball game contemporaneously played at an adjacent arena... then the free pizza arrived for them and it all made sense!:eek:

PSU crowd went wild for Devin’s win... #mostknowledgeablefansinthenation;)

Mater Dei has always traveled very well and their fans are loud enough that other schools try to drown them out at State. Had 2k+ at home for a dual against another top 5 team from Indy the Friday night before Xmas. The place was loud as hell. Current team has 3 undefeated wrestlers, 2 guys ranked #1, 3 more in the top 5 and 5 more ranked between 10-15 (single class rankings, one champ at the end).

Indiana is not Pennsylvania, that's obvious. But the talent at the top (Micic, Nick and Joe Lee, Red, Mason Parris, Brayton Lee) has been getting stronger and stronger. The overall depth is not there, but with no classes, it is a difficult state tournament to win.

Joe was at home at Christmas helping coach his brother Matt at their Holiday Tournament which includes teams from IN, KY, TN and IL. It's good that the family hasn't packed up and left Evansville and the young kids really look up to them. I'm sure today was a fun moment for all of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT