ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Michigan Game Thread

Trace was not anywhere near 100% today. Herbie commented on this numerous times. some of the runs he got caught at LOS would have been longer for sure if he was full strength. i think in all fairness the team would have performed better if Tommy had just been the starter from the kickoff. UM was going full speed at the end to stop the TD, and TS did it anyhow. i think we still lose, but more like 28-17. if TM was 100% it would have been more of an interesting game.

i hope Trace was not hurt worse by playing this game.

Reactions: step.eng69
Just for you.

pappy-van-winkle-family-reserve-20-year-old-bourbon-2004_1.jpg
I can only say good golly and thank you mnpsu83, can you also include a real Cuban Cohiba Esplendidos. Hope this isn't asking too much. :p

Reactions: mn78psu83
It was like a heavyweight fight where rushes are body blows. Our D played admirably but it’s only a matter of time. I wish we’d let our OL just get after them and knock some asses in the dirt.

Precisely.

As if we didn't know that was coming.....

Herbie commented on this numerous times. some of the runs he got caught at LOS would have been longer for sure if he was full strength. i think in all fairness the team would have performed better if Tommy had just been the starter from the kickoff. UM was going full speed at the end to stop the TD, and TS did it anyhow. i think we still lose, but more like 28-17. if TM was 100% it would have been more of an interesting game.

i hope Trace was not hurt worse by playing this game.
I agree and think we could be better next week with Tommy. I don't see Trace getting better. He looked like he got more abuse to the knee today. I think we see Tommy.

Their OL and WR are better than ours on offense and the LB are better as well

LBs - yeah; OL and WR, push at best. We have a three year starter at QB that should be worth 10 points on any field. They had a ton of yards rushing but had 52 attempts. We don't have the horses up front to stop them, but they're not 35 points better than us from a talent standpoint.

It was like a heavyweight fight where rushes are body blows. Our D played admirably but it’s only a matter of time. I wish we’d let our OL just get after them and knock some asses in the dirt.

And they played 275 plays the three previous games. O is letting the team down by not sustaining drives.

Reactions: 84Lion
Listen, this team is not mature. A few guys should not be out there still at this point. Win out, head to Fl for a bowl game and make a run next year. UM was clearly better along both lines. They will beat tOSU this year and has a legit shot for the playoff. They whooped PSU, plain and simple. Tip your cap, regroup and finish ranked. Get some momentum for next year.
I will start with 6 and 7. But hey, Frankin just continues to love them.

I can only say good golly and thank you mnpsu83, can you also include a real Cuban Cohiba Esplendidos. Hope this isn't asking too much. :p

20 YO? Cohiba Esplendido? Peasants! How bout a Partagas Lusitania to got with that bottle of 23 YO than mn is buying for you?

LBs - yeah; OL and WR, push at best. We have a three year starter at QB that should be worth 10 points on any field. They had a ton of yards rushing but had 52 attempts. We don't have the horses up front to stop them, but they're not 35 points better than us from a talent standpoint.
Our OL gets dominated whenever we play with a team with a good DL.
As for WR theirs catch the ball ours don't. Going into the year WR was expected to be a strength of the team but now it is not

Listen, this team is not mature. A few guys should not be out there still at this point. Win out, head to Fl for a bowl game and make a run next year. UM was clearly better along both lines. They will beat tOSU this year and has a legit shot for the playoff. They whooped PSU, plain and simple. Tip your cap, regroup and finish ranked. Get some momentum for next year.
It is the HC job to ensure we are mature. We missed on several recruits over the last five years.

I'm not even pissed about the defense. Can you blame them for crumbling in the 2nd half? They were totally worn out due to the inept offense that has been struggling most of the year. They show up each week without any new wrinkles to off set the strengths of the defense. Did you really think the zone read with Sanders was going to work? That was comical and even Herbie commented on it. No imagination or creativity on offense whatsoever.

This is one of the most telling aspects of the game. The "enhancements" by Rahne over the course of the season have been abysmal. Swapping McSorley and Sanders was clear evidence of this. It's as if they don't have practice time to add anything of significance. Nothing seems to change based on the opponent.

We can argue play calls of past games -- 3 runs? 3 passes? etc. etc. but the really telling thing to me is that there has been little creativity beyond a trick play or two.

I was never happy with the JoMo offense. Now I'm really unhappy with it.

Reactions: Grass and ram2020
Franklin allowed Gattis to leave the program.
Assuming you were talking about Gattis I agree that Franklin's Rahne over Gattis decision was very questionable. Doubt he could keep both. I do still have a lot of faith in Franklin, but I must admit the recent assistant hires seem shockingly underwhelming. More Gattis types please.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
I'm not even pissed about the defense. Can you blame them for crumbling in the 2nd half? They were totally worn out due to the inept offense that has been struggling most of the year. They show up each week without any new wrinkles to off set the strengths of the defense.

Actually, I thought the D played a decent game as long as they possibly could. At the half they had played almost 20 minutes...even into the 3rd quarter they were doing their best against UM. When the offense continues to do nothing, at some point the D is going to fold. It was inevitable.
We keep hearing how PSU offense in general and Trace in particular are the strengths of this team. When the offense doesn't produce...what does one expect, the D to score touchdowns?

Three best receivers are clearly 87, 1 and 5. All are freshman. Best LBs are 11, 36, and 13. Two are freshman. The future is better

Until next year when they start playing like the upperclassmen did this year.

Three best receivers are clearly 87, 1 and 5. All are freshman. Best LBs are 11, 36, and 13. Two are freshman. The future is better
Ding, Ding, Ding. OT’s were awful today. I know the DQ’s will freak out as usual. A lot of very good very young talent is there. Front 7 needs to mature and this PT will pay off. Next year this will be a run first team and they will be good. I’ll do my best to ignore the same chicks who freak out after every loss. The future is bright.

Assuming you were talking about Gattis I agree that Franklin's Rahne over Gattis decision was very questionable. Doubt he could keep both. I do still have a lot of faith in Franklin, but I must admit the recent assistant hires seem shockingly underwhelming. More Gattis types please.

From the beginning I thought that Gattis should have gotten the job over Rahne, but I'm not for a minute going to say that he would have turned out to be a vast improvement. As far as keeping both of them, Rahne wasn't going anywhere if he didn't get the job. And if he did, bon chance.

Offensive offense

I don't know what is exactly wrong with the offense this year, but

1) QB play has regressed.
2) WR drops.
3) Miscues.
4) Cannot sustain drives.
5) Lack of swagger.

This Michigan defense is dominant, but this pattern has been ongoing for the past few games. The OL and running game seemed to be improving, but the passing game has regressed.

I don't know if Rahne is a good coordinator or not; some of his calls have worked out, some have been poorly executed; and he hasn't been able to make adjustments like JoeMo.

The good news is that the young WRs are good and Friermuth is playing well as a freshman. With the exception of the horrible INT, Stevens and Clifford have looked good. With all the talent returning, I hope the problem isn't Rahne.

Franklin has indicated that there is usually massive improvement in the coaches's second year, so let's hope that is the case with Rahne and his offensive staff. I do hope that is isn't John Donovan, part deux.

Same with special teams.

You can say #1 again until the cows come home!!

20 YO? Cohiba Esplendido? Peasants! How bout a Partagas Lusitania to got with that bottle of 23 YO than mn is buying for you?
Got your back on that, the Partagas is the second one I would like to have. The real Cuban Cohiba Esplendido I had several years ago, barn yard smell like a babies diaper, very unique. Constant equal burn, one can actually inhale without coughing. Of course I smoked Palls, Luckies & Camels until 2005.

I don’t understand folks here saying the future is bright or better. What’s with the optimism? I thought the mantra was to give up.

I'm not even pissed about the defense. Can you blame them for crumbling in the 2nd half? They were totally worn out due to the inept offense that has been struggling most of the year. They show up each week without any new wrinkles to off set the strengths of the defense. Did you really think the zone read with Sanders was going to work? That was comical and even Herbie commented on it. No imagination or creativity on offense whatsoever.

Our offense gave them at least 14 points on turnovers
Since Polk can’t catch, , but is supposed to be so fast, when not try a reverse or jet sweep at least one time? Or a flanker screen?

Reactions: Grass
Our offense gave them at least 14 points on turnovers
Since Polk can’t catch, , but is supposed to be so fast, when not try a reverse or jet sweep at least one time? Or a flanker screen?
He would probably drop the hand off

This game was fubared right from the start.

I’m just an old fan who is running out of time so I’ll vent a little and leave it to the coaches here to correct my impressions.

I don’t think Penn St is a physical team. That’s not to say they’re soft but the coaching philosophy does not ask this OL to get low and drive the opposing DL back. This is why they can’t protect those late leads in close games.
The team never looked right this year. This is week 9 and they still look like it’s Sept 1st. I understand JF’s loyalty to several players, they worked hard and we appreciate their efforts but we’re not getting better. Might be time to look to the younger guys.

Michigan making a lot of noise about us running it up last year.

Where was that noise from those whiny bastards after the 2016 game? How come it’s never mentioned? They started it, you reap what you sow. Hopefully we get the chance next year to run it up on them again.

This game was fubared right from the start.

I’m just an old fan who is running out of time so I’ll vent a little and leave it to the coaches here to correct my impressions.

I don’t think Penn St is a physical team. That’s not to say they’re soft but the coaching philosophy does not ask this OL to get low and drive the opposing DL back. This is why they can’t protect those late leads in close games.
The team never looked right this year. This is week 9 and they still look like it’s Sept 1st. I understand JF’s loyalty to several players, they worked hard and we appreciate their efforts but we’re not getting better. Might be time to look to the younger guys.

Totally agree.

With Franklin it seems like it's all X's and O's. Scheme. Once in a while you need to simply beat the guy in front of you. Just beat him. I mean look at run blocking. Are any of the OL 4 yards downfield with their blocks?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Plenty of other teams you can root for - gotta love bandwagon fans. I grew up a Cubs fan so go Find another team if you can’t handle this loss

I have no idea why you are attacking me. I can handle the loss just fine. I expected a step back this year and I think we are a young talented team.

LdN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT