ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling NCAA Bracket Reveal Thread

2 key matches (assuming Brady loses to Carr):

Young/Lewan - cheer for young (given Iowa’s injuries at key weights I think they’ll be less of a factor

Brady gets loser and can send one home quick with 1 more win for AA after that

Winner gets Carr anyway the round after BB

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
I look forward to your breakdown by weight for PSU
A quickly written snapshot at 125...also posted in it's own thread...

Drew Hildebrant’s path:

A first round match-up against a wrestler listed as 29-1 sounds like a horrible draw for a 16 seed (Hildebrandt). While surely talented to have a record such as that, Anthony Noto (LH) has feasted on mostly lower ranked guys, much of it at the Clarion Open, Shorty Hitchcock and Mat Town. Best wins are against two NCAA qualifiers; Joey Prata (#19 seed) and Patrick McCormick (#32 seed). Noto did win the MAC Championship. I’ll go with a close Hildebrandt win, low scoring, as it appears both guys are solid defensively.

Next up would be Nick Suriano, unless of course Suriano :eek: loses to McCormick or #33 seed Logan Ashton. Looking at Suriano’s bout scores for the season, it doesn’t appear he’s given up a takedown yet…I’ll go chalk and move Hildebrandt to wrestlebacks.

Here’s where I hope he can make some noise. First match on the back-side appears to be one of Brody Teske or Noah Surtin. Teske owns a fall vs Surtin, though maybe Surtin just got caught (;)). The loser of this bout drops to wrestlebacks and could face Hildebrandt. I’ll add here that a Hildebrandt loss to Noto, and he’ll likely face the Teske v Surtin winner (such is the nature of brackets). Either way, I like Hildebrandt against Surtin more, with the Teske match-up feeling like a toss-up to slight edge Hildebrandt.

Let’s go a Noto win and Surtin win; could be an all-Big Ten consi match-up with the Schroder/McKee loser. Not sure which is preferable, but Schroder handled McKee 8-3 during the season, so let’s go McKee. We all know what happened at B1G’s. Reverse that score and he’s one win from All-American. Could take it one step further, but the permutations are even less known than already analyzed.

I think this is right based on seeding:

PSU: 115 points (not including bonus but includes advancement points)
Mich: 101 points
Iowa: 88 points

125: PS 2 UM 20 UI 2
133: PS 20 UM 10 UI 11
141: PS 20 UM 0 UI 16
149: PS 2 UM 0 UI 6
157: PS 2 UM 6 UI 2
165: PS 0 UM 10 UI 14
174: PS 20 UM 14 UI 10
184: PS 16 UM 20 UI 1
197: PS 20 UM 13 UI 10
295: PS 13 UM 8 UI 14

Last edited:
Reactions: BVSt.Paul
Brackets are here...

Frankly, I don't see anything horrible. I don't quite understand the DeSanto thing, and will look at the brackets closer in the next several days, but overall not bad.

One thing missed by many (not all of you of course) is the fact that most of the hay is made in wrestlebacks. Keeping that in mind, one has to break down more than just the championship bracket.
I agree. I don’t see anything to get upset about. Some little things that makes me scratch my head but that’s every year.

I think this is right based on seeding:

PSU: 115 points (not including bonus but includes advancement points)
Mich: 105 points
Iowa: 82 points

125: PS 2 UM 20 UI 2
133: PS 20 UM 10 UI 9
141: PS 20 UM 0 UI 16
149: PS 2 UM 0 UI 6
157: PS 2 UM 6 UI 2
165: PS 0 UM 14 UI 10
174: PS 20 UM 14 UI 10
184: PS 16 UM 20 UI 1
197: PS 20 UM 13 UI 10
295: PS 13 UM 8 UI 14
165 doesn’t look right.

So if Berge , BB and hildebrandt lose in round 2. How many do they have to win to AA. (7/8t, 5/6th or 3/4th?

Fix's draw for the tournament could easily include Burwick, Byrd, Ragusin, and RBY on the winners side (just needs one upset by Ragusin over McGee). We'll see how he'd fare in the B1G, maybe.

He majored Kerk last year 11-3 and Kerk has beat him twice this year. I wouldn’t give last years results much credence.
Kerk last year isn't the best baseline, between his health and very late start to the season, and his freestyle win over Parris in the offseason.

125 - Hildebrandt kinda got screwed, but should have done better at Big Ten's
133 - not bad for RBY ,easy to Semi's, then you have to beat quality opponents. Plus Desanto has a hard draw.
141 - Lee to finals
149 - Actually like BB draw, as good as you could expect. Plus I love the fact that Murin gets Yanni in the Quarters! Goodbye Murin, no crying.
157 - Berge Draw sucked, but he just didn't have enough matches ,so that gave the committee cover to screw him. Good to see Young get Carr the round after Berge! Goodbye Young!
165 - Jesus, Could they have given Bull an easier draw. If he can't make it this year?
174 - Cstar kinda got a crappy draw, I think the 8th seed Labriola , is much better than the 6th or 7th seed ( Smith and Plott)
184- AB, I like his path to the semi's, from there none of the top 4 are easy. Should be able to take out Hidlay, if the ref makes Hidlay wrestle more than 1 inch from the out of bounds circle!!!
197 - I do not like Dean's draw!!! Top half of bracket is way more difficult than bottom half, Caffey scares me, and I think Warner got a good draw, which pisses me off!
285 - I actually really like Kerks draw!!! Looks easy to semi's, then whatever! I hate the fact that Cass gets wood, instead of Parris in the quarters!!!!!!

I actually think the draws look pretty good. Kerk should make the semis. Parris looks like he should make the finals though from the 7 seed. I think O’Toole got a horrible draw. Tough match after tough match. CStar has a decent path with Hidlay and Kem meeting in the quarters. Having Mekhi on the opposite side is good as well. ADS got screwed. A quarter against Korbin Myers is tough. Nick Lee has tough matches but no one that should really challenge him until the finals. Real Woods or Alirez is a decent semi but having the Riddler and Seabass on the bottom half is key. AB being separated from Amine was all that mattered. The top 4 with those 2 and Keckiesen and Hidlay is tough as any top 4. I think Keckiesen gives Amine all he can handle and Hidlay pushes AB to the brink as well. This weight will be incredible to watch. Bartlett got about the best possible draw. He has wrestled Sasso really close so if he can pull out a win he then gets Parco who he has already beaten this year. Can you imagine Bartlett making the semis?!?! Berge has a tough draw and is just going to have to be a backside warrior. I think he will be and ends his career as an AA. Max has a fairly tough draw possibly seeing Caffey early but I still like has draw more than the other high seeds. Buchanan has a very tough road I think. Overall I really like PSU’s chances. They have to show up and wrestle but I would be shocked if they don’t win the title. I see 5 in the finals once again and 8 AA’s. I can’t wait for it start!!

Reactions: WeARE
Hildebrandt 16 seed. Heinselman 12 seed.

Young 9 seed. Berge 16 seed.

umm…

With the exception of Caffey, I love Dean’s side of 197. And I’m guessing he figured Caffey out this time around.

Hard to not feel a little for undefeated Hidlay being the 3 seed at 184. Being a PA guy and all.

Kerk last year isn't the best baseline, between his health and very late start to the season, and his freestyle win over Parris in the offseason.
Do you think Parris is the same guy as last year? If so, that means Kerk is quite a bit better since he beat him twice this year. And if Kerk is that much better then Cass must have improved a lot to beat Kerk twice. But you guys only use last years results when it helps you? I’m confused.

Reactions: sstark46
I hate to say it, but I honestly think there are TV considerations going into some of these seedings! They screwed PSU at 125 and 157 to keep in close going into Saturday night to make it more exciting!

Do you think Parris is the same guy as last year? If so, that means Kerk is quite a bit better since he beat him twice this year. And if Kerk is that much better then Cass must have improved a lot to beat Kerk twice. But you guys only use last years results when it helps you? I’m confused.
We already knew you were somewhat confused, but we weren't aware anybody had told you. That's why we have just been ignoring it.

Reactions: RandyL
I don’t think anyone is out to get PSU. I think, in the effort to create mathematical fairness, seeding has gotten lost in mathematics and we need to bring human reason back into it.

2 key matches (assuming Brady loses to Carr):

Young/Lewan - cheer for young (given Iowa’s injuries at key weights I think they’ll be less of a factor

Brady gets loser and can send one home quick with 1 more win for AA after that

Winner gets Carr anyway the round after BB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT